Thoroughly cleaning grimy tile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ged

Thoroughly cleaning grimy tile

Post by Ged » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 pm

I have an area in my home with ceramic tile flooring which has a grimy coating of grime (I know dept of redundancy dept) that needs a serious deep clean. I'm talking about the surface of the tile, not so much the grout.

Interested in what Bogleheads would recommend for the job of bringing the tile back to shiny newish appearance.

bloom2708

Re: Thoroughly cleaning grimy tile

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Get a stack of Magic Eraser cleaners from Costco. They usually sell them in bulk.

They are.....magic.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:21 pm

What type of grime? I've had luck doing this in the shower and kitchen floor.. Baking soda and vinegar. Pour a cup of baking soda into a small bowl and add enough white vinegar to make a paste. Once the mixture stops fizzing, use a sponge to apply it to the surface then let it set for about 15 minutes. Wipe the surfaces down with a non-scratch sponge, rinse thoroughly with water, and then dry. If a glossy finish buff it with a microfiber cloth.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:21 pm
What type of grime? I've had luck doing this in the shower and kitchen floor.. Baking soda and vinegar. Pour a cup of baking soda into a small bowl and add enough white vinegar to make a paste. Once the mixture stops fizzing, use a sponge to apply it to the surface then let it set for about 15 minutes. Wipe the surfaces down with a non-scratch sponge, rinse thoroughly with water, and then dry. If a glossy finish buff it with a microfiber cloth.
If you mix baking soda and vinegar you get weak acetic acid, water, and carbon dioxide. Either baking soda (with water) OR vinegar alone will clean better than a mixture of the two.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I just use a steam mop on my tile floor. The hot steam seems to clean off just about anything we drop on it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Bar Keepers Friend powdered cleanser works well on tile. So does a paste made with Oxiclean and some water.

Agree that mixing vinegar with baking soda defeats the purpose and advantage of using either ingredient alone.

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm
Get a stack of Magic Eraser cleaners from Costco. They usually sell them in bulk.

They are.....magic.
^^^This REALLY works!

Who knew? I do now (just used them to easily and completely clean a couple of ceramic tiles in the bathroom). It's off to Costco (or Walmart) tomorrow to get a gross of them. And then get rid of all the various chemicals and cleaners that I had been (fruitlessly) using.

Post by 123 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:32 am

Make a paste with baking soda and a little water. Use it like toothpaste with a nylon bristle cleaning brush to clean tile. Don't need anything fancy.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Magic Erasers are good, but it depends on how grimy the tile is and what the grime is comprised of. Where we live, the local water supply deposits a yellow-orange type of scale which nothing seems to touch–even Magic Erasers. After years of repeated failures, my wife used a green Scotchbrite pad in desperation. Voila! It worked! I did a little subsequent research and found out these Scotchbrite pads are equivalent to 600 grit sandpaper as far as abrasiveness. If all else fails, try this. Remarkably, it doesn't scratch the tile either.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm

blmarsha123 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

They are.....magic.
^^^This REALLY works!

Who knew? I do now (just used them to easily and completely clean a couple of ceramic tiles in the bathroom). It's off to Costco (or Walmart) tomorrow to get a gross of them. And then get rid of all the various chemicals and cleaners that I had been (fruitlessly) using.
Check amazon too. Look for : Melamine cleaning sponge. Lots of brands. All the same. “Mr Clean Magic Eraser” very overpriced ...
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Depending upon how much tile you have, you might want to consider hiring a professional. Stanley Steemer cleaned the 20-year old tile and filthy grout in my foyer and then stained and sealed the grout. It looks like new. I would have killed my knees and back trying to clean and then stain and seal each grout line. If just the tile is dirty and not the grout it might be an easier do-it-yourself job.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm

blmarsha123 wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:

They are.....magic.
^^^This REALLY works!

I must be doing something wrong. I have read abut Magic Erasers working wonders on floors, but they did about zero on my resilient floor.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:31 am

Barkeeper's Friend is an amazing and inexpensive product for this and all sorts of cleaning. It does not hurt surfaces. For tough jobs, mix a slurry paste of it and let it sit on the surface for 10 minutes, then use a stiff brush to scrub. Rinse.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:02 am

Comet with bleach (powdered form) with hot water and a good scrub sponge or scrubbing mop has done the job for me. It might be a good 1st attack to remove the bulky, easy stuff. Then 2nd attack of Melamine/Magic Eraser stuff. Then 3rd attack with a steam mop?

Sorry in advance for your joints. ;)

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 am

I had pretty good luck recently with a Drill Brush (Amazon) and powdered Comet. It made a pretty decent mess though and my drill was all covered in Comet residue, but the tile looks pretty good. :happy

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

CaliJim wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm
blmarsha123 wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:

They are.....magic.
^^^This REALLY works!

Check amazon too. Look for : Melamine cleaning sponge. Lots of brands. All the same. “Mr Clean Magic Eraser” very overpriced ...
Yes, the Boglehead way:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-your-o ... -10-cents/
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am

blmarsha123 wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:

They are.....magic.
^^^This REALLY works!

Thanks to all who suggested Magic Eraser. I tried one today on my tile and it worked magically.

RCL

Post by RCL » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Sodium Percarbonate
Think of it as a granulated form of hydrogen peroxide.
It's pretty much the main ingredient of all the cleaners that start with "Oxy"

About 5 years ago I purchased a large amount of this product (I think maybe from ebay?) Very inexpensive I might add.
I have a good amount of floor tile in the house that I clean once or twice a season. I do this because the house cleaners that come and clean the house have no idea what a properly clean floor is.
With grand children crawling around I had a need for really clean floors.

After mixing with some warm water (it mixes best with hot water), I just use a mop to spread it around. There is no need to do any scrubbing, just let it sit for 5-10 minutes then use a mop to pick up the disgustingly dirty water from your floor.
Be prepared, you won't believe how much dirt and grime you have on your floors, even after the cleaning crew was just there and mopped your floors!!
It will take lots of rinsing your mop with clean water to complete the job.
Easy Peasy
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm

never seen tile floors where a steam mop and spot scrubbing stubborn spots with basic cleaner spray didnt do the trick. Dirty grout is beast in itself though.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Keep in mind that it is possible to damage grout or less likely the tile surface when cleaning tile. Also different tiles have different surface qualities, e.g. Ceramic vs Porcelain.
I had a lot of new porcelain tile laid. They used a no-seal grout where they mixed the powder with liquid containing acrylic. Knowing what chemistry I know, I suggested it was going to be more difficult to clean this grout off the tile surface so they should work in smaller batches of: spread some grout, clean the tile surface. Did they listen? No, of course not.
So there was grout haze that took many cleanings and a lot of elbow grease to get off.
I called the company that made the grout and asked if using white vinegar was OK. They said no because of its acid pH, but they had a product they sold for just that purpose. The main ingredient of their magic liquid? Hydrochloric acid, an even more acidic pH!! I hired cleaners and they used the vinegar.

Not sure what type of grime you have.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.