Crock Pot Recipes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Valdeselad

Crock Pot Recipes

Post by Valdeselad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

Hi everyone,

With both parents working and kids in school, utilizing the slow cooker and coming home to dinner that is basically done is very appealing. So I thought I would turn to the Boglehead community to ask: What are your favorite slow cooker meals?

Thank you!

MSO4PRN

Re: Crock Pot Recipes

Post by MSO4PRN » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 am

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 am

My favorites are pot roast and stews for the crockpot, but have been experimenting with some recipes from a book I picked up:
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook
ISBN978-1-56148-317-4
Fix-ItandForget-It.com

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am

Hands down my favorite slow cooker cookbook:

'Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever' More than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes by Diane Phillips ISBN: 978-0-8118-6657-6

My daughter gave it to me for Christmas a few years back and every recipe I have tried has been a winner. One of my favorites is Tarragon Chicken. Served with lightly seasoned noodles and a salad, it's easy and quick. Definitely gets the eye roll of happiness.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am

Cranberry Turkey Breast

1 (16 ounce) can cranberry sauce1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
A boneless turkey breast.

Place the cranberry sauce in a bowl - add in the onion soup mix and a little dijon mustard and a little Catalina salad dressing and some worstershire sauce and water- then stir until the mixture is well combined.
Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and place the defrosted turkey breast into the cooker.

Pour the sauce ingredients over the turkey breast. Set the cooker
on high for first hour then on Low, and cook until the turkey breast is very tender, about 3+ more hours.

This is a big hit and it makes its own delicious gravy!
:happy

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am

Info_Hound wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am
Hands down my favorite slow cooker cookbook:

'Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever' More than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes by Diane Phillips ISBN: 978-0-8118-6657-6

My daughter gave it to me for Christmas a few years back and every recipe I have tried has been a winner. One of my favorites is Tarragon Chicken. Served with lightly seasoned noodles and a salad, it's easy and quick. Definitely gets the eye roll of happiness.
Thanks! I will definitely check this one out.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

This is a surprisingly good chicken tortilla soup recipe that takes little effort (other than chopping things):

http://kambricrews.com/an-easy-recipe-t ... ss-anyone/

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Chili is one of my favorites - along with Ribs.

Ribs - there is a great recipe from Tasty website - basically from what I recall:

Prepare two packs of baby back or st louis ribs - cut into into two- resulting in 4 rib sections that should fit in the crockpot. Salt and pepper them - place in crockpot.

Mix - Coke, Whisky(or beer) - soy sauce - BBQ, Worst, hot sauce - maybe honey and pour over ribs. Cook on high for 6 hours.

Remove and place on foil covered baking pan - and broil or bake at high temp with sauce slathered on for about 10 minutes - to crust up.

Absolutely awesome.

For Potroasts - I like to braise the meat prior to adding to Crockpot - to get that crust.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

My favorites are stews.

When looking for recipes I came across a web site for supermoms called whoneedsacape.com.

I'm not sure if it was there or somewhere else that I learned the following technique for preparing multiple slow cooker meals: Choose several meals and buy all the ingredients. When you return from the store, portion all the ingredients for each meal into its own gallon size freezer zip top bag (label the bags before filling them). Then put the bags in the freezer until ready to cook.

I prefer to defrost overnight in the fridge prior to cooking, but I have cooked from frozen and the meals turn out fine.

PandaParty

Post by PandaParty » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Some of my favorites (I go for simple):

Chicken and Salsa
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 jar of your favorite brand of salsa
1 pouch of taco seasoning
Juice of 1 lime
Chopped cilantro (optional)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on low. Serve as whole chicken breasts, or shred and use in tacos.
I will also use this to pack lunches for the week. I'll shred the chicken and add 1 1/2 cups of instant rice with 30 minutes left on the timer.

Pepperoncini Beer
4 lb chuck roast
4-5 garlic cloves
1 jar sliced pepperoncinis

Pierce roast with knife and and stuff garlic cloves inside the roast. Cover with perpperoncinis and liquid from the jar. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Slice or shred. Serve on kaiser rolls with provolone.

Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
4 lb pork shoulder (pork butt)
2 cans Dr Pepper
Ground Pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on low. Strain and shred pork shoulder and stir in 1/2 to 1 bottle of bbq sauce based on your preference. Optional: Before adding in bbq sauce, spread shredded pork over cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes until crispy.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Using a slow cooker in the summer is a great idea because you can put it outdoors on a table under a roof and have no cooking heat inside.

One nice summer dish is roast beef. You can find several recipes online. After the beef is cooked, cool it and make sandwiches to stay cool.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Pork & sage slow cooker

1 tsp rosemary
2 t sage
1/2 t thyme
5 Tbsp oil
6 lb boneless pork shoulder w/ fat cap
1/2 c dry white wine
1/2 t allspice
4 lg carrots, cut into 1” chunks
4 celery, cut into 2” long pieces
1 lg onion, cut into 8 pieces. Left intact at root end
2 bay leaves
1 c broth
3 t cornstarch

Preheat slow cooker on high.

Put herbs with 2 Tbsp oil in mini food processor. Add some pepper and chop. Set aside.

Put rest of oil in large skillet, heat at medium. Add pork, fat side down. Brown well, 3 - 4 min each side. Remove to plate.

Add to skillet the wine, allspice. Bring to simmer and reduce by half.

While wine is reducing, put carrot, celery, onions & bay leaves into slow cooker. Rub herbed oil all over pork and push into cracks. Place pork on vegetables in cooker. Add any juices from pan.

Add wine. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 6 - 8 hours.

Transfer pork to cutting board, tent with foil. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to hot serving platter. Discard bay leaves and cover. Pour liquids into saucepan and bring to boil. Mix cornstarch in a cup with 1 Tbsp cold water until smooth. Add to saucepan slowly while constantly stirring. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes to thicken.

Slice pork, move to platter with veggies. Remove sauce to warm gravy pitcher to pass.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 pm

My tastiest slow cooker recipe -

Beef stew with cognac, roasted vegetables, and creme fraiche
This is a rewrite of an Emeril recipe, which came out bland and overcooked.
Cooking a portion of the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker creates a complex base for the stew. Adding freshly roasted meat and vegetables before serving adds crunchy texture and roasted flavour.

3 slices of bacon, chopped
5 carrots, sliced
4 shallots, chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms
4 red potatoes
salt & pepper
Beef chuck roast - 3.5 - 4 lbs, chopped into bite size pieces
1 c beef stock, pref bone stock, low sodium
1/2 mini bottle cognac (airplane size)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 t dijon mustard
2 t fresh lemon juice
1/2 c flat parsley leaves + more for garnish, optional
Creme fraiche or sour cream for garnish

Preheat slow cooker on high.

Chop 1 potato. Slice 1 carrot, 1 shallot, 2 mushrooms. Set aside rest of vegetables. Cook bacon in a skillet. turning with a spatula. When partially cooked and fat is released, add carrot and shallot slices. Cook until carrot starts to caramelize. Add mushroom and potato pieces. Cook for a few minutes, turning. Transfer to slow cooker.

Put 1/4 of the meat into slow cooker. Set aside rest in frig.

In a small bowl, whisk together the stock, mustard, cognac, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Pour into slow cooker.

Cook covered on high 4 hours.

2 to 2.5 hours later, preheat oven to 350F. Place beef in pan sprayed with oil. Then spray beef with oil. Roast until beef is med rare tossing a few times during cooking. Remove from oven and set aside covered with a lid or towel.

Increase oven temp to 425F. Chop vegetables roughly. Spray large baking pan with oil and scatter vegetables so they touch little. Roast for 30 min. Take out of oven and flip and stir with spatula. Roast for another 20 - 30 min or until veggies are al dente.

Taste slow cooker mix and add salt & pepper if necessary.

10 min before serving, add beef & veggies back to slow cooker and stir. Ladle into warm bowls, adding a dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkled parsley as garnish.

If storing leftovers, don’t mix in dairy. Stew won’t refrigerate or freeze well.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Lamb stew, Persian

1 lamb shoulder (4 to 5 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 thyme sprigs
1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 preserved lime
1 large pinch saffron threads
Fresh dill, pomegranate seeds, and unsalted pistachios, chopped, for serving

Preheat a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Season lamb with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add lamb and cook until golden brown all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. 

Add onions, carrots, celery, and dill to Dutch oven; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker, along with garlic, thyme, wine, orange juice, lime, and saffron. 

Cover and cook on low until meat is falling apart and shreds easily, 7 to 8 hours (or on high 5 to 6 hours). Skim fat from surface.

Serve stew topped with dill, pomegranate seeds, and pistachios.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

PandaParty wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm
Some of my favorites (I go for simple):

Chicken and Salsa
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 jar of your favorite brand of salsa
1 pouch of taco seasoning
Juice of 1 lime
Chopped cilantro (optional)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on low.
I do something along these lines but I do it in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, so it's done in 45 minutes or so.

The killer aspect for me is that I drain and save the liquid, refrigerate it, and use it in place of soup stock when cooking 16 bean soup later in the week. Heavenly spicy delightful bean soup!

I imagine you could do the same "saving the liquid" trick with a slowcooker.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Slow Cooker Coq au Vin

Preparation Time 25 mins
Cook Time 5 to 6 hours on (low) or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on (high)
Yield 4 servings

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
pounds chicken thighs, skinned
envelope (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package) beefy onion soup mix
cups quartered fresh mushrooms
1 1/2
cups frozen small whole onions
medium carrots, cut into 31/2-inch sticks
1/2
cup dry red wine
Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions
Lightly coat an unheated large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken thighs, several at a time, in the hot skillet until brown. Drain off fat.

Place chicken thighs in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry soup mix. Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots. Pour wine over all.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If desired, serve with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with parsley.

Jesteroftheswamp

Post by Jesteroftheswamp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Had one friend who did crack, another who smoked pot.

One ended up homeless, the other just laughs a lot.

Just say NO.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:26 am

I'm with the pulled pork recipe previously listed here.

However I've used Coca Cola and Root Beer. So it seems any dark soda pop will do! I'm always amazed how good it comes out.

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Another option would be to purchase an Instant Pot. A 21st century pressure cooker. Same recipes but instead of leaving the pot on all day, you can cook the meal in 30 - 45 minutes once you are home. https://instantpot.com

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 pm

gretah wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm
Lamb stew, Persian

1 lamb shoulder (4 to 5 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 thyme sprigs
1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 preserved lime
1 large pinch saffron threads
Fresh dill, pomegranate seeds, and unsalted pistachios, chopped, for serving

Preheat a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Season lamb with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add lamb and cook until golden brown all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. 

Add onions, carrots, celery, and dill to Dutch oven; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker, along with garlic, thyme, wine, orange juice, lime, and saffron. 

Cover and cook on low until meat is falling apart and shreds easily, 7 to 8 hours (or on high 5 to 6 hours). Skim fat from surface.

Serve stew topped with dill, pomegranate seeds, and pistachios.
@gretah - thank you so much, these recipes look delicious!