Any kayakers here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
carolc

Re: Any kayakers here?

Post by carolc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

We’ve been paddling kayaks for about 20 years now. Started with 16+ foot boats. Now down to 14’ (and 35 lbs) as they are much easier to put on top of the Outback. We paddle lakes, rivers (not white water) and the ocean (but staying in harbors and along shorelines). We tried a tandem boat ONCE and learned from that experience that we need our own boats.

carolc

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm

A440 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 am
Is there a particular model/feature I should look into if I tend to have back issues?

I'd also be interested in hearing more about a pedal kayak. Not for fishing, really just for an additional workout while enjoying the lake. Also, can these type of kayaks travel on top of car racks?
The Hobie mirage drive pedals back and forth, rather than round and round. You are pushing flippers back and forth, like a penguin swimming. I can do it for hours and its rhythm can be hypnotizing. The pedal length is adjustable, so you should be able to make it comfortable for yourself, especially with Hobie's new seats. I wish they had made them backwards compatible for the schmucks who bought a year early!

Someone mentioned a hitch loader up thread, those can make a big difference. When we had the kayak on the Jeep, we had to lift it up and over our heads (especially mine). I doubt my husband could do that anymore with his neck and shoulder issues. Lift with your knees all you want, without help, you probably have to lift your kayak from your side to over head at some point and that twisting with weight must be done attentively.

The other issue is getting the kayak from the car to the water. The wheels work great, sand is sand and rocks can be even worse, not to mention embankments. I think someone is more likely yo injure themselves forging ahead through that because the lifting is daunting and we out thought into it.

Other kayaks tend to be lighter and there are new ones that pedal round and round to power a propeller. My concern would be draft, but I haven't really looked into them because we LOVE our Hobie. It lives on our sailboat now and we raise and lower it with a block and tackle system attached to the halyard.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Emilyjane wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm
How do you all haul your kayaks? I am thinking of buying a kayak trailer, but since $2000 or more, have been thinking about it for a while. Right now, we mainly kayak at Lake next to our house, but would be fun to do some exploring.
If we are just taking two, we use J hooks with the roof rack. If we need three or more, or we want to take our bikes or other gear, we use a folding trailer we built. The yaks go up top on the metal rack, Yakima Blockheads for the bikes, and all the paddles, vests, fishing poles, etc go into the "floor storage".

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm

daheld wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am
Branching off recent hobby discussions regarding Boglehead weight lifters, I started wondering if there were any Boglehead kayakers around here.

I'll start: Grew up doing a decent amount of canoeing as a kid with my uncle. Once I got old enough to start taking vacations myself, I did a whitewater kayaking day clinic through Nantahala Outdoor Center that involved technique instruction on a lake followed by running some class 2-3 rapids on a river. Since then, I've bought my own boat (a 9' hybrid kayak with drop down skeg for tracking) and done a fair amount of kayaking. Mostly do class 1-2 small rivers here in Missouri, but hoping to progress.

Hoping to hear from more Boglehead kayakers!
Funny you should post this. I am currently at Nantahala Outdoor Center taking 5 day kayaking course
https://noc.com Very well done PM me if you want more information.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes! I "splurged" and bought my own. I like calm water kayaking...such fun. It's a 96 degree day here and I'm not on the water, but want to be! :-)

hsmith

Post by hsmith » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:48 pm

friar1610 wrote: ... It's getting a little harder than it used to be to schlep the kayaks onto the roof of the wagon and transport them...”
We have a couple of these canoes http://placidboatworks.com/index.html. They’re made of kevlar and carbon fiber, so they’re very light -only 18 lbs. They’re easy to get up on the roof of the SUV. We paddle them like kayaks.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

DCB-- you should have some great 'yaking where you. Gave the WS systems Pungo 100 and Aspire some thought, but we were just a tad to long legged for them. Our Eddylines weigh 40 pounds which with our soon to be medicare aged bones, lighter weight was also considered.

We;ve found that the twist and shoulder extend that starts a stroke has been wonderful for reducing shoulder and neck stiffness. Even the massage person says she notices a difference in muscle tension.

Stay safe and good paddling.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 am

Wricha wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm
daheld wrote:
Branching off recent hobby discussions regarding Boglehead weight lifters, I started wondering if there were any Boglehead kayakers around here.

I'll start: Grew up doing a decent amount of canoeing as a kid with my uncle. Once I got old enough to start taking vacations myself, I did a whitewater kayaking day clinic through Nantahala Outdoor Center that involved technique instruction on a lake followed by running some class 2-3 rapids on a river. Since then, I've bought my own boat (a 9' hybrid kayak with drop down skeg for tracking) and done a fair amount of kayaking. Mostly do class 1-2 small rivers here in Missouri, but hoping to progress.

Funny you should post this. I am currently at Nantahala Outdoor Center taking 5 day kayaking course
NOC was where I did my 1 day whitewater kayaking clinic. They're the best in the business. After spending a weekend there, I wish I would've taken the opportunity to work a summer there as a college student.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am

sailaway wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm

The other issue is getting the kayak from the car to the water. The wheels work great, sand is sand and rocks can be even worse, not to mention embankments. I think someone is more likely yo injure themselves forging ahead through that because the lifting is daunting and we out thought into it.
For sand we use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeleez-Kayak-M ... kayak+cart

For rocks we use this:
https://www.amazon.com/TMS-CART-CANOE-K ... kayak+cart

You can lift one end as you walk or buy two if money is no object. The Wheeleez is indispensable on a sandy beach.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 pm

daheld wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 am
Wricha wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm
daheld wrote:

NOC was where I did my 1 day whitewater kayaking clinic. They're the best in the business. After spending a weekend there, I wish I would've taken the opportunity to work a summer there as a college student.
Exactly what I thought. Really good experience

Townline Lake

Post by Townline Lake » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 am

Long time kayaker here. Grew up in upper Midwest fishing for trout from a kayak and even took a whitewater kayak class on a whitewater river through the Boyscouts with my son.

Just bought a Dagger Axis 10.5 and really like this versatile kayak. Also bought a Werner carbon fiber paddle and can’t believe how much difference a good quality lightweight paddle makes over the traditional aluminum paddles.