Building a Pool

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
health teacher

Re: Building a Pool

Post by health teacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:16 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 pm
How do you feel about the depth?
4ft is great so far. Easy to clean, great for pool sports, no diving board risk (no fun either, but kids are still young), if a kid falls in, its an easy rescue (im serious here). Kids love it. I have mastered the angle to do a cannon ball and not smack my tush off the bottom. And again, so easy to clean.

bgf

Post by bgf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 pm

njboater74 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 am
Smurf wrote:When I crunch the numbers around opportunity cost this pool could be a $200k expense with the initial outlay and maintenance costs over the next 15 years which is our expected time in this house.
I bought a house with a pool and it was a key factor in deciding that I wanted the house. If it didn't have the pool, I would have passed. I live in NJ, though, where neighborhood pools are less of a thing. I love it, and I'm glad I have it, but if it magically disappeared, I'm not sure I'd pay 45k for a new one.

How did you arrive at the $200k expense? How much of that was opportunity cost and how much as actual expenses? A pool with a salt water chlorine generator requires very few inexpensive chemicals that you can usually find at the grocery store. I spend about $300 per year on my 33000 gallon pool.

Is an above ground pool an option? You can probably get one installed for 3-5k, and if you don't like it, it's easy to get rid of. Most communities won't allow them, though.
yea, people seem to exaggerate the cost and work involved with a pool. i also have a salt water pool and apart from adding some bags of salt a couple times per year, and adding 1/2 gallon muriatic every week or two, i just have to skim/vacuum. and that's only because i don't have a robot that cleans it for me.

i find my yard/landscaping with the mowing, blowing and bagging leaves and sticks, trimming hedges, tree branches, laying mulch, etc... is a lot more work than my pool. in the fall and winter i just cover the pool. drop a chlorine puck in the basket, and run the filter at night. in the spring, i take the cover off and have a sparkling clear pool ready to roll.

8-)
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

bagelhead

Post by bagelhead » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm

In addition to the "$3000 maintenance cost", when building a new pool, won't there also be:

Property tax will be re-assessed higher. $50,000 higher = $500-$1500 more property taxes/yr?
Home insurance will increase. Maybe $200-1000/yr higher?

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 pm

I have a 20 by 40 inground pool. In Wisconsin. It’s open from Memorial Day till mid October. But seriously we use it 3-4 times a year. It costs us $5000 a year what with opening and closing and weekly visit from the pool guy. I tell my wife if we use it 2 more times, we could dollar cost average to less than $1000 per use. Next year we will need a new liner and new filter and pump. I wish we didn’t have a pool. We have huge oaks and hickory trees. I spend hours skimming and cleaning.

You have access to two pools. And you want to build one for $45k?

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

We have a pool, it was a feature we were looking for when we bought our house last year, and we made the right choice. We live in SoCal so the pool is totally worth it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:37 pm

bagelhead wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm
In addition to the "$3000 maintenance cost", when building a new pool, won't there also be:

Property tax will be re-assessed higher. $50,000 higher = $500-$1500 more property taxes/yr?
Home insurance will increase. Maybe $200-1000/yr higher?
Several people said above that a pool detracts from the value of a house so shouldn't installing a pool result in a decrease in the assessment and lower property taxes?

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Smurf wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am
For you pool owners out there do you wish you didn't have the pool or are you agnostic about owning it? Would you do it again?
Had a pool previously. It was a hole in the ground I poured a lot of money into. Don’t ever want another pool...

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:21 pm

If you have young kids who love to swim, you will love having a pool. And then several short years later, they won't be so young anymore, and will be busy with homework, and friends and other interests--and you'll still be stuck maintaining the pool. They will be off in college, and you will be stuck maintaining the pool. They will be married and living two states over, and you will be stuck maintaining the pool. A pool that has been hardly used in the last 20+ years..

Don't do it.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Smurf wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am
I'm seeking feedback on building a pool in our backyard. We are in the SE USA where we'd get 5-6 months of use. The pool was quoted at around 40k, but I know it'll be 45k by the time they're done and I have the landscaping, irrigation, and fence fixed. The design looks fantastic and I think my family would enjoy it. However, the thought of a company destroying my yard and writing a check for that amount has me sick. We can afford it and would pay cash, but I'm having a hard time justifying such an expense for a want vs a need. When I crunch the numbers around opportunity cost this pool could be a $200k expense with the initial outlay and maintenance costs over the next 15 years which is our expected time in this house. We already have two neighborhood pools and visit them frequently in the summer. I'm well aware this is not a property value investment and would only be for our personal satisfaction. Personally I like to balance my financial decisions between logic and fun. I do not drive a 15 year old camry, but I also get home haircuts and bring my lunch to work.

For you pool owners out there do you wish you didn't have the pool or are you agnostic about owning it? Would you do it again?
My brother-in-law put in a pool about the same price as yours. We all enjoy it. It is the best investment he made because memories we have made so far by hanging out there is priceless. I recently put in a trex deck around an above ground pool that makes it feel more like a built in pool and I am so happy I did it. We are enjoying our pool so much more this summer. Nothing like taking a dip when I get home from work and just lounging in it on a Sunday afternoon.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 am

Get a heat pump pool heater (most efficient kind) to expand your pool season. Not propane, that’s very expensive, before I found out about the heat pump option I didn’t heat my pool in old house. It cost me 1500/year to keep a se USA pool at 86 degrees 11.5 months a year with the heat pump. You didn’t say where in se USA but you could do 10-12 months a year depending on location. Hayward has a calculator that will tell you how much per year depending on your pool size, desired temperature, and location. The heater is not expensive to run given your probable pool size based on your spend and the heater itself is around 3k. To make pools worthwhile you really need a way to run them year round in order to get your monthly ‘cost’ down.

I like pools. A lot. Normally they’re most cost effective when they come with the house but your install price isn’t terrible and there’s something to be said about enjoying life and your money. I wouldn’t compare it to public pools since they’re not the same experienc. If you have the money and want a pool, I’d suggest getting one.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 am

Never understood why pool hater feel the need to reply to the thread about pools. :?

I did my own pool contracting and saved about 1/2. I was also done quicker as most pool companies slow down construction and move to a new job once they tap enough money to be profitable. I was paying cash so the subs were there the next day.

With the money I saved I purchased higher end equipment with automation. Maintenance I do myself and it is minimal. Empty the skimmers and throw the robot in once a week. Occasionally check and top off the acid dispenser. My chemistry is so stable I test about once a month or after a big rain. I don't think I've spent $100 a year on chemicals (calcium, acid, baking soda, salt and stabilizer). Never had a need to shock.

At nearly 60 yr old I love it and swim nearly every day in swim season. It also makes my yard look like an oasis which doesn't hurt.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:55 am

Gill wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 am
mouses wrote:Those pools do not lower the resale value of your house as a home pool will.
That is simply not true in the Southeast, and particularly Florida, where they enhance the value of a house. I've lived in Florida 40 years and have always had a pool and wouldn't be without one. On the other hand, back in my old home town in Western New York I wouldn't even consider one.
Gill
Depends on where in the Southeast. Here in North Carolina it does tend to lower the resale value.
One of these days, I'll make a really cool financial calculator thingy. And I'll share a link to it in this signature!

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:03 pm

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:55 am
Gill wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 am
mouses wrote:Those pools do not lower the resale value of your house as a home pool will.
That is simply not true in the Southeast, and particularly Florida, where they enhance the value of a house. I've lived in Florida 40 years and have always had a pool and wouldn't be without one. On the other hand, back in my old home town in Western New York I wouldn't even consider one.
Gill
Depends on where in the Southeast. Here in North Carolina it does tend to lower the resale value.
Heck, NC isn’t even in the Southeast. 😀😀
Gill

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 am

We had a pool in our Central Texas home. It was an upscale suburban area outside Waco and judging from google satellite images I would estimate that probably 1/3 of the houses in our neighborhood had pools. Here in WA (outside Portland) probably no more than 1 in 50 homes have pools.

In our case we bought the house with the pool. The previous owners had just gotten it installed that spring before getting unexpectedly transferred back to Ohio so we wound up with basically a brand new "free" pool that was 2 months old and didn't add to the price of the house. In fact we paid about $20,000 less for a 2 year old house with pool and landscaping compared to very similar new homes still being constructed in the subdivision.

Couple of comments:

1. Kids got tremendous use out of it from elementary school into middle school then started to lose interest. Oldest daughter continued to have pool parties with her friends as she was the social butterfly with lots of friends over all the time. Younger two daughters are more introverted and mostly stopped using the pool after about age 14. Younger two daughters were on a regional swim team by that time and perhaps the daily swim practice at the Y also diminished the desire to get into the water at home.

2. Biggest cost was probably the electricity. We had an ordinary chlorine pool and I'd buy the buckets of chlorine tabs at Costco. We had two pool pumps, one for the cleaner and one for the main circulation and waterfall. During the summer our electric bill would push $300 but that included the house AC for a 3300 sf house.

3. If you travel a lot it can be a pain to keep the pool maintained. The biggest worry during peak heat is evaporation and keeping the pool topped off so that it doesn't evaporate down past the skimmers and burn out the pumps. We found that the pool maintenance companies were happy to do monthly cleaning and chemical maintenance but they wouldn't fill the pool when you were gone. You'd have to find a neighbor to come turn the fill water on (AND REMEMBER TO TURN IT BACK OFF). That needed to be done every 5 days or so during peak Texas heat.

4. As it turned out, the feature we actually liked the best was the waterfall built into the back of the pool. I would have NEVER guessed this when we bought the house and I would have never paid to have a waterfall built into the pool if we had been building it ourselves. But after I landscaped the back yard and created patio seating areas, having the sound of the waterfall was really very pleasant and added to the back yard ambiance year-round whether or not we were actually using the pool. A stand-alone waterfall or other backyard water feature can be a fairly pricy proposition and has its own maintenance issues. But if you built it into a pool you kill 2 birds and have a feature you can enjoy whether or not you are swimming.

5. Most home pools are too small for fitness swimming. If that is an objective I'd have swim jets installed so you can swim in place like in an endless pool.

If we were to move back to Texas or similar climate (we won't) I wouldn't look for a house with a pool but I wouldn't eliminate otherwise perfect houses just because they already had a pool. But I for certain wouldn't pay to have one built now that our youngest kids are middle school and high school age. And I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Pools are definitely a luxury item (in ground ones) and are expensive to maintain. I ended up with a pool when I bought a place in AZ. It wasn't one my must have list but the house had everything else I wanted (price, location, condition, etc.). I'm guessing it probably costs a couple hundred per month. You have to resurface it every 10 years or so which costs several thousand. Water isn't cheap in AZ and it evaporates quickly. Running the filter every night. Fixing/repairing the filter and other issues that occur.

It is a ton of fun but if I had my choice I might have skipped it. (it is a decent size, I'm guessing 20x40 foot with a diving board (the board has been removed).