Neighbor's drainage issue causing problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
maggabelle

Re: Neighbor's drainage issue causing problems

Post by maggabelle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:37 pm

It is a rental property and we're not there very often/we can't be over there all the time when it rains to see what's going on. We don't have time to take on the responsibilities of others on top of our own.

They need to manage it on an ongoing basis and I decided to not clean it out since it had already flooded and wasn't supposed to rain again so that the employee from the public works department could see what state they had it in. If we had been planning to get another 3+ inches of rain, I may have considered it, but it is an unfinished basement, too, so it isn't the end of the world if it gets damp right now.

We've got priorities when it comes to our time and fixing the problems of others isn't on the list.

maggabelle

Post by maggabelle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm
I gotta say, I would have cleaned that out at the first sign of flooding even if it was on their property. It was very obvious that it was clogged. Not worth flooding my basement for 5 min of work. I don't really care if its their responsibility. Don't bring up some kind of liability because nobody is getting sued for that kind of thing.
And actually, in Iowa, the state where I am, they could get sued for "that kind of thing." It's negligent.

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 pm

daheld wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:20 am
I would really encourage you to just start with an request, in person, to speak to whoever may be able to help you. I don't know how large of a company it is, or how many employees they have at that location, but there's a decent chance they have a facilities manager. It may be someone who covers a number of their properties, but there is likely someone who is responsible for this type of stuff.

I would just walk over and explain it, nicely, to a receptionist or whoever you can talk to. Start there. You might find you're able to at least get them to investigate or clean out the drain. As long as you're nice, it absolutely cannot hurt and you may get some serious relief from just doing this.
As long as you're not nasty to them, most businesses are interested in being decent neighbors. They don't want the headache of dealing with angry neighbors and may be willing to help you out.
This. They do not want angry neighbors that potentially bring with it legal issues or insurance issues or whatever issues. As a business they are very likely not going to take it personally or be offended or irrational like an adjacent homeowner might be. They should deal with the problem as it's potentially an escalating liability issue whether they are technically/legally at fault or not.

If this fails, then move on to plan B. Treat this politely as their problem with an expectation that they need to fix it. Their drain is very inadequate and its flooding your basement and needs to be resolved.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm

To OP: You might want to update the first post (in bold at the top) to state briefly that the situation is now different, to avoid lots of helpful suggestions that are now out of date.

Thank you.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

maggabelle

Post by maggabelle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm
To OP: You might want to update the first post (in bold at the top) to state briefly that the situation is now different, to avoid lots of helpful suggestions that are now out of date.

Thank you.

RM
Just did! Thanks for the suggestion. :)