Masterbath Remodel - Tub or No Tub ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pajamas

Re: Masterbath Remodel - Tub or No Tub ?

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am

If there were only one bathtub in a house I would be hesitant to remove it but I can't imagine that most people who need or want a tub would insist that it be in the master bathroom and that having it in another bathroom would be preferable or at least acceptable. A large shower would be appreciated more than a tub and smaller shower by the vast majority of people.

With a studio or one bedroom apartment that will likely not have children living in it, I now think that a shower and no tub is also preferable. I used to wonder if it would be wise but that seems to be the trend both in new construction and in renovations.

There was a clear trend to including large spa-type tubs in master baths in larger new construction houses but I think few people actually used them frequently because they take quite a while to fill and an outdoor spa is much more enjoyable in most climates.

I also agree that making a shower (and bathroom for that matter) accessible and safe by having wide openings and eliminating any threshold if possible and including safety bars and possibly a seat is a good idea. These sorts of accommodations are beneficial to everyone. Even people who don't have mobility issues might have them temporarily or permanently in the future and safety features are good for everyone. Also ensure that there is adequate lighting.
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm

soccerrules wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks again for the additional feedback. We are more confident in the NO TUB decision for our master bath.

One additional comment -- we have a very high ceiling in master bath so the shower would not be enclosed on top.

For those that put in walk-in showers / wet areas. Are there any must have's, nice conveniences that you included or wish you would have added ?

Linear Drain
If the shower is large enough then the linear drain makes it much easier to build. A traditional shower is essentially a shallow cone with a slope in two directions but if the shower gets larger then its much easier to only slope in one direction. My own shower was too small to make that a worry. My family in Japan has a linear drain in the wet room that has the shower and bath. Pretty common design there.
soccerrules wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am
Multiple Shower heads
Bench
Shelves
Mirror (Shaving)
Size of tile, flooring, grout considerations
Epoxy grout is a nice option to think about. It's completely waterproof unlike traditional cement grout. It's highly stain resistant as well. It is a bit more work to put in since it mixes up to a peanut butter consistency.

I would also think about putting in one or more niches to hold bottles of shampoo, etc. I put one in mine and it's very handy.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm

AlphaPilot wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

Smaller tiles on the floor are also for *safety*. Large tiles get slippery.
There are plenty of large tiles designed specifically for shower floors. They have nonslip textures. Tumbled texture is available in all sizes and you are getting more anti-slip from grout likely. What have you had to do for your grout lines? Or have you had the tile that long? Curious what the maintenance process is every few years? Once a year? Never?
Yes, the edges and grout lines also provide "texture" to avoid slipping.

We've had the "new" shower for just about 10 years now, and it's used a lot, by both of us.

Surprisingly, we've had to do nothing at all to/for the grout, in the shower floor or walls, and not on the regular floor or walls, either.
We expected to need to do something, but we haven't.

And the "frameless" glass along one long side (two rigid pieces, with the door that opens in or out in the middle) also hasn't gotten any "etching" or whatever it's called when the water starts leaving marks.
At first, we carefully squeezeed the inside, but that slowly tapered off.
The non-shower-floor stone is honed in the Master bath.
(In the family bath, some parts are fully polished [shiny], but most is honed there, too.)

We've been very pleased and surprised at the lack of maintenance.
The only polished section in the Master is the counter top around the under-mounted sink. That has a very few small water marks, but you have to look carefully to see those.

To OP: Undermounting the sinks looks SO much better, and is much easier to keep clean.
I forgot to mention that earlier.
(In our rental cabins, we undermounted the kitchen sinks and master bathroom sinks, but not the other sinks, and regretted that. It makes a big difference.)

Having the sink faucet/handles on the wall, and not on the counter, also makes everything look cleaner.
We did that in the family bath only because of the shallow space, so the sink wouldn't be too small (front to back), but not in the Master. That might be the only thing we'd do differently if we had a do-over: putting the fixtures on the wall right behind the sink.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:43 pm

My wife and I were just discussing this for a future remodel of our master bathroom. We plan to remove the large tub area and turn it into a nice spacious shower. We do have a tub in a Jack and Jill style bathroom for our children that we are remodeling now and do not ever plan to remove it. I would not personally eliminate a tub completely from a home as it does cut down on the potential buying pool. If there was only space for one bathroom in the home, I would keep the tub.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Smaller tiles on shower floors are also designed for the shower floor slope. Mosaics are easier to lay with the floor sloped to the drain.

I just installed a 36" x 60" shower in an AirBnb I'm working on and used a marble mosaic with small 1" rectangular tiles. Used a preslope tray and it worked fine.

If you use any natural stone, you should also use an stone impregnator....which will protect the stone from grout discoloration and also acts as a slip resistant agent. The impregnator is just a liquid that is applied to the tile before you grout. Then one more coat after grouting. Easy...takes 5 minutes.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think I would have a mirror in a tub or shower. Broken glass if one falls into it. I do have a full length mirror in the bathroom, as that's a good time to check all over for anything wrong.

In either a shower or a tub, I use a non-slip large size rubbery mat. I hang it up after use on the towel bar that for some inexplicable reason is in the tub/shower so there's no question of mold or whatever growing.

By the way the grab bars in there are vertical. That's a bad idea. They should be horizontal, so you can lever yourself up from the tub or hold on when showering without your hands slipping down the bar.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:50 pm

We did a master bath remodel a couple years ago and went to a tub sized shower pan for walk in shower with glass panel. We have two other baths, one with walk in shower and one combo shower/tub.

No regrets so far. I would miss it if we did not have a tub option for the couple of times a year that someone wants to soak.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:42 pm

With low-maintenance being a top priority, I went with large (12"x24") porcelain tiles on the walls and urethane grout.

-gfl