What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
livesoft
Posts: 62339
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:33 am

rgs92 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
VBIAX (vanguard balanced index admiral) is up almost exactly 1% ytd today. (Just to provide a benchmark.)
That would be exactly the first half of 2018.
Vanguard.com and Morningstar.com both report 1.38% as the YTD for VBIAX.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Mursili
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Mursili » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 am
Mursili wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am
I do know that my future performance will closely track the weighted performance of the US and global equity markets and the US fixed income market (60/40).
While that may be true, I think many people with index fund portfolios do strange things and underperform the weighted performance of such a benchmark. The reasons are behavioral.
I agree entirely. I understand your point and I should change my statement that looking at past performance is not a healthy thing to do for me. Knowing your performance relative to your benchmark is important to understand if the things you are doing are negatively impacting you. This is a similar reason I keep track of the gas mileage in all of our vehicles. I do it to see if the vehicles are changing and need some attention.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

livesoft
Posts: 62339
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am

Mursili wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 am
[...] This is a similar reason I keep track of the gas mileage in all of our vehicles. I do it to see if the vehicles are changing and need some attention.
And I track our electricity bills in the summer when the AC is used. If they are different from past years without a weather reason (i.e. hotter or cooler average temps), then I suspect an issue with the air conditioning system.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

rgs92
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:00 pm

I was just reporting the results for VBIAX (vanguard bal. index) from Yahoo finance. Why it's different, I don't know.
(NAV change from dividends maybe?)
Thanks for catching that Livesoft.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm
Age 72, retired, asset allocation 50/50

Volatility strikes again, back in positive territory :) .

Total return year to date = plus 0.31% per Morningstar Portfolio Manager, or plus 0.19% per Vanguard Personal Performance.

Best fund so far is Vanguard Small-cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares VSIAX), total return up 3.93% year to date.
I have the same AA as you, but have a .49% loss due to Wellesley having a rough time this year. I have about 20% of my portfolio
in Wellesley in my IRA. It did a little over 10% last year but the bonds are negative and the Large value stocks are not climbing like the rest of the
market. It is a long term holding so no changes- staying the course.
+1
Also took a hit due to substantial holdings in Wellesley and Total Bond.
j

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:20 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:20 pm
That is a good question. I think most people actually don't calculate their portfolio performance correctly anyways. But I do think one should compare the performance of their portfolio to a suitable benchmark. That would require one to calculate their portfolio performance correctly and to select a suitable benchmark.
Livesoft, do you have recommendations or, better still, a recommended methodology, for calculating portfolio performance correctly? I would love to know more of your thoughts about these topics!

Andy.

livesoft
Posts: 62339
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm

I use MS Money to calculate portfolio performance. I keep track of every single transaction with this bit of free software. It uses the XIRR() algorithm without you having to know how to use spreadsheet. It also allows many different performance reports from the same data. MS Money gives the same performance numbers as Vanguard, TDAmeritrade, WellsFargo, and Fidelity show on their web site for both individual funds and accounts.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm
I use MS Money to calculate portfolio performance. I keep track of every single transaction with this bit of free software. It uses the XIRR() algorithm without you having to know how to use spreadsheet. It also allows many different performance reports from the same data. MS Money gives the same performance numbers as Vanguard, TDAmeritrade, WellsFargo, and Fidelity show on their web site for both individual funds and accounts.
Super — thanks, Livesoft!

Andy.

letsgobobby
Posts: 11511
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm

XIRR -1.28%

60/40, of which 60% of stocks are international. Some small and value tilt. Fixed income is about 50/50 bonds and stable value.

I’m very happy with my 8 basis point expense ratio.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm
XIRR -1.28%

60/40, of which 60% of stocks are international. Some small and value tilt. Fixed income is about 50/50 bonds and stable value.

I’m very happy with my 8 basis point expense ratio.
Aloha
Do you think that having that 60% international has helped moderate things?
j :D

livesoft
Posts: 62339
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm
Do you think that having that 60% international has helped moderate things?
j :D
"moderate" is quite polite in this question. :)

I think there is no doubt that holding international stock funds over US funds has diminished a portfolio's performance so far in 2018.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

letsgobobby
Posts: 11511
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:56 pm

i don’t know. i buy them for diversification and to hedge against a US black swan.

all my fixed income, real estate, and job prospects are tied up in us dollars and the us economy so having 36% of my total portfolio (and more like 30% of my total net worth) dependent on the long term fortunes of a passive index of the world’s companies seems like the least I should do.

User avatar
vitaflo
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by vitaflo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I did my mid-year portfolio review today. Results:

Stock: 70% (60/40, US/Int)
Bonds: 30%

Return: +0.28%

ignition
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by ignition » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 am

If you use XIRR to calculate YTD, you should use the last day of the year as end date right?

Tamalak
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Tamalak » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am

What is this "up" you speak of

bgf
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by bgf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 am

ignition wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 am
If you use XIRR to calculate YTD, you should use the last day of the year as end date right?
on google sheets i use this formula:

=SUM(((1+XIRR(A3:A21,B3:B21,10%))^(((DATE(2018,6,29)-(DATE(2017,12,29)))/365))-1))

Column A is cash flows in and out, Column B is date.

row 1 has my 2017 year end balance as a negative number.
row 2 has my 2017 year end balance as a positive number.
last row has my current balance as a negative number.

all contributions are positive. all withdrawals negative.

i THINK this is correct, but if it is not someone please correct me!!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

User avatar
El Greco
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by El Greco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am

Up? I don't consider fractions, "up".

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Petrocelli » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Up 0.51% YTD.

32% bonds.

70/30 Domestic/International.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

ignition
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by ignition » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm

bgf wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 am
ignition wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 am
If you use XIRR to calculate YTD, you should use the last day of the year as end date right?
on google sheets i use this formula:

=SUM(((1+XIRR(A3:A21,B3:B21,10%))^(((DATE(2018,6,29)-(DATE(2017,12,29)))/365))-1))

Column A is cash flows in and out, Column B is date.

row 1 has my 2017 year end balance as a negative number.
row 2 has my 2017 year end balance as a positive number.
last row has my current balance as a negative number.

all contributions are positive. all withdrawals negative.

i THINK this is correct, but if it is not someone please correct me!!
Do you get the same result if you do the following?

row 1: year end balance as positive number (date = 2018/01/01)
contributions positive, withdrawals negative
last row: current balance as negative number (date = 2018/12/31)

And then XIRR(column A, column B)

sschullo
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Rancho Mirage, CA
Contact:

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by sschullo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 pm

34% equities 66% bonds.
Essentially FLAT up just $1184.00 out of a 7 figure portfolio. My positive return is so small in the that I could not read my calculator!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

bgf
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by bgf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 am

ignition wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm
bgf wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 am
ignition wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 am
If you use XIRR to calculate YTD, you should use the last day of the year as end date right?
on google sheets i use this formula:

=SUM(((1+XIRR(A3:A21,B3:B21,10%))^(((DATE(2018,6,29)-(DATE(2017,12,29)))/365))-1))

Column A is cash flows in and out, Column B is date.

row 1 has my 2017 year end balance as a negative number.
row 2 has my 2017 year end balance as a positive number.
last row has my current balance as a negative number.

all contributions are positive. all withdrawals negative.

i THINK this is correct, but if it is not someone please correct me!!
Do you get the same result if you do the following?

row 1: year end balance as positive number (date = 2018/01/01)
contributions positive, withdrawals negative
last row: current balance as negative number (date = 2018/12/31)

And then XIRR(column A, column B)
yes. actually, i am not sure why i had the year end balance as a negative number to start as that was in row 2 which isn't even included in my formula which starts on row 3... i made a mistake above when i said row 1 was my negative year end balance. actually, row 1 was just the Title of the Columns (Cash Flows, Date).

thanks!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5138
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:05 am

Do you want the truth or what I tell my in laws
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 13748
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:14 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
VBIAX (vanguard balanced index admiral) is up almost exactly 1% ytd today. (Just to provide a benchmark.)
That would be exactly the first half of 2018.
Vanguard Balanced Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBIAX), has a 60/40 asset allocation, only U.S. stocks and bonds, and it's total return is up 1.38% year to date.

Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (VSMGX) also has a 60/40 asset allocation, but includes both U.S. and international stocks and bonds, and it's total return is down about 0.40% year to date.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

RNJ
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by RNJ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:49 pm

YTD: -.01%

Best: Vanguard S&P 600 Small Value (VIOV): +7.63
Worst: iShares Core Emerging Market (IEMG) -8.75

theanalyst
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:52 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by theanalyst » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:01 pm

54% US Stocks
31% International
15% Bonds

1.38% YTD

User avatar
sergeant
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by sergeant » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Up about 1.4%.
AA about 40/60.
Equities 50/50 Int./US.
Fixed Income almost all stable value with a chunk of Prime MM.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

User avatar
randomizer
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by randomizer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Time for my quarterly update:

1-month return: -0.4%
3-month return: 0.4%
YTD (6-month) return: -0.3%

At this rate, will be able to retire in a few hundred years.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm

+5.0% (80% 80/20 US & Intl, 20% Stable Value Fund, 0% Bond)

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5279
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 pm

My portfolio is up about 2.2% YTD (as of the weekend) but as always that's Beardstown accounting. I don't track actual IRR of the investments. I can see that small cap and small value have done well. In fact the former has triggered a rebalance indicator.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

SimplicityNow
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:31 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by SimplicityNow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm
I use MS Money to calculate portfolio performance. I keep track of every single transaction with this bit of free software. It uses the XIRR() algorithm without you having to know how to use spreadsheet. It also allows many different performance reports from the same data. MS Money gives the same performance numbers as Vanguard, TDAmeritrade, WellsFargo, and Fidelity show on their web site for both individual funds and accounts.
Do you know if this works on a Mac or any other programs you could recommend that do?

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Currently, I'm up 10.81% YTD according to Personal Capital. I'll take it. :D
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

livesoft
Posts: 62339
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:12 pm

SimplicityNow wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am
livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm
I use MS Money to calculate portfolio performance. I keep track of every single transaction with this bit of free software. It uses the XIRR() algorithm without you having to know how to use spreadsheet. It also allows many different performance reports from
the same data. MS Money gives the same performance numbers as Vanguard, TDAmeritrade, WellsFargo, and Fidelity show on their web site for both individual funds and accounts.
Do you know if this works on a Mac or any other programs you could recommend that do?
I suppose it would work on Windows running on a virtual machine on a Mac, but I have not done that. I don't do my portfolio stuff on my Mac.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Larry3862
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Larry3862 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 am

1.61% YTD, 60/40
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Nowizard
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by Nowizard » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am

1.02 UTD for 59/41

Tim

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 13748
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 am

Age 72, retired, asset allocation is 50/50.

Total return is up 1.04% year to date.

Best fund so far is Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX), total return is up 6.45% year to date.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

foo.c
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by foo.c » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 am

Image

HongKonger
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Deep in the Balkans

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by HongKonger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:40 pm

-0.14%
40% US / 60% RoW

bgf
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by bgf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 pm

foo.c wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 am
Image
sigh, january was fun...
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Post Reply