Thinking about moving to Madison, WI or Minneapolis, MN..Any advice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nowizard

Re: Thinking about moving to Madison, WI or Minneapolis, MN..Any advice?

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:51 am

Glockenspiel: Housing price comment based on children's experience, but if you read the post, it says "May be," not are less.

Tim

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 am

malibuboats91 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the response! I enjoy downhill skiing, golfing, grabbing drinks with friends, cars/car shows, exploring, etc. I used to bike a lot, but haven't really gone for a solid 5 years. I wouldn't mind starting up again though.

Wisconsin Dells has Automotion in summer, so there's that. 8-)

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am

Madison, WI, close to Chicago and less snow than Minn. Good beer and football culture.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

malibuboats91 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:51 am
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am
I've lived in MN for much of my life and have only been to Madison as a visitor (probably 8 times.) You write "While I would prefer living in Colorado..." so I will ask if you have been to CO and why it's on your list?

Mpls: Great economy for your career. The "MN Nice" is a real thing and sometimes transplants have a tough time getting to know people because many people are already in their groups. The cost of living in Minneapolis is 7% higher than the national average. Packers fan are allowed (but not encouraged. ha! I kid.) It has more opportunities for engaging in your hobbies and meeting people than Madison. The extra hour to the cabin is worth noting, but not worth basing your decision on this factor.

Madison: This is one of my favorite small towns in the midwest, by far. It's a nice college town and fun place to visit. It's safe, with relatively short commutes, but offers much less cultural/social life/outdoor activities. I think it would be great place to be from.

Colorado: Generally very friendly to transplants compared to MN, far from your family (obviously) and cabin. The cost of living is 11% higher than the national average but housing is 32% higher than the national average. Much better skiing and outdoor activities than MN and WI. Plus very few mosquitoes. There's no comparison to MN or WI in terms of weather. Economy is somewhat similar to Mpls.

Bottom line: Mpls seems to align well with your career and personal goals. Give it a try and have fun. You can always move again if you want to; you have many years of your career ahead of you. Let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the reply! I have some family out in Colorado so I've been there a few times and am a huge downhill skier. Colorado is a very special area, but too far from my immediate family/cottage.

I love the vibe of Madison, closeness to my family/cabin and it pretty regularly ranks as one of the top places to live in the US, but my concern would be salary growth potential and career opportunities. I was thinking about it this morning and working in accounting/finance allows me to get a job at almost any moderate to large sized business, hospital or even UW, but I think my salary would end up being a lot higher in Minneapolis. I could be totally wrong though.
In the next few years of your career it will be easier to go from big city to small city accounting practice than vice versa. Also from big city public accounting to finance role in a smaller company or institution in a small town.

The problem will come at partner level. A partner in a smaller centre has to be willing to graft pretty hard for business w local farmers businesses etc. In a big city it's a very different job.

I would say give Minneapolis 2 to 3 years. You lack enough information to make a fully informed choice at this point. You need to go there and see if you like it.

Don't overlook the chance to go to Colorado if that is your dream destination, btw. It won't be any easier to move there when you are 40.

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 pm

I live in Madison, so I'm biased. I love it here. I think the winter weather and the travel distances to your cabin are somewhat of a wash. I have a three hour drive up to northern WI (Rhinelander) to see family, so I'm in the same boat. Download some good podcasts and get a car with auto cruise control and you're golden.

Downsides to Madison:

-Politics. If you are middle of the road (or right-leaning) people might treat you a tad bit different.
-Age. Madison is definitely a college town. If you're single your social life will definitely start trending down in your early 30s; it seems like just about everyone here is that is 30+ is married with kids.
-Growth. It seems like Madison is growing pretty quickly, and we're starting to get "big city" problems - crime, traffic, pricey real estate, etc.

Upside:

-Politics (depending on your views).
-Still has some small-town feel stuff, especially the suburbs.
-Active. There are a lot of active people here, and it seems like something is always going on.
-Pretty stable economy. Government, the University, and health care are the biggest providers here, so the economy is usually pretty strong. The city sucks in a lot of small-town talent from around Wisconsin. Epic is just outside the city and seems to be putting up a new building every time I bike by it.

Overall, both the city and the University routinely make "best of" lists, so we must be doing something right here!

Jack44

Post by Jack44 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:45 pm

For me, I think it would depend on which location offers the best ice fishing opportunities. Both seem to have an ample amount of water nearby, but Minneapolis would probably have the better climate (for sufficient ice thickness for the longer amount of time). Even now, I am pining for the coming winter and six or more inches of ice in northeast Pennsylvania.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 am
Nowizard wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am
Both cold, of course, in winter. Madison smaller with great culture. Political culture very liberal in Madison which is a likely positive or negative these days. Overall, both (Children live in both places) are places where you can find culture, activities, educational opportunities. Minneapolis may be somewhat less in property taxes and housing prices. If not for the weather, we would strongly consider moving from our southern home to Madison due to smaller size.

Tim
What would make you think housing prices would be less in Minneapolis than in Madison? In the desirable parts of Minneapolis, you're lucky to find a 3 bedroom home in good condition for under $500k.
Depends on what you consider desirable. Mom’s first ring suburb house is immaculately maintained. No HOA fees. Nice neighbors. 1200 sq ft , 3 bedrooms, 1 bath room. Semi finished basement - our “family room”

Price - about 250k.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you all for the feedback! Definitely more than I anticipated! I talked with the head partner in my region today and he said basically Madison wants me and Minneapolis would be interested if I turn down Madison.

I think I said earlier, but Madison seems like the ‘safe’ choice given that I lived there for 5 years and know I love the city and have some friends down there yet. The concern is that I’m not set on being a partner because of the crazy hours/stress of my job so I’m not sure if Madison has the exit opportunities and/or high compensation that Minneapolis would have given it’s size. 🤷‍♂️ Such a tough choice!

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Nowizard wrote:
Both cold, of course, in winter. Madison smaller with great culture. Political culture very liberal in Madison which is a likely positive or negative these days. Overall, both (Children live in both places) are places where you can find culture, activities, educational opportunities. Minneapolis may be somewhat less in property taxes and housing prices. If not for the weather, we would strongly consider moving from our southern home to Madison due to smaller size.

Tim
What would make you think housing prices would be less in Minneapolis than in Madison? In the desirable parts of Minneapolis, you're lucky to find a 3 bedroom home in good condition for under $500k.
Depends on what you consider desirable. Mom’s first ring suburb house is immaculately maintained. No HOA fees. Nice neighbors. 1200 sq ft , 3 bedrooms, 1 bath room. Semi finished basement - our “family room”

Price - about 250k.
Which first ring suburb? Edina, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Center, Richfield, West St. Paul, etc, are ALL first ring suburbs and they all have DRASTICALLY different housing prices. There's no doubt you can buy a house in a first ring suburb for $250k or even less. My original comment was based on the most-desirable neighborhoods in Minneapolis proper. Mostly the south, southwest, and western portions of Minneapolis.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Nowizard wrote:

Tim

Price - about 250k.
Which first ring suburb? Edina, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Center, Richfield, West St. Paul, etc, are ALL first ring suburbs and they all have DRASTICALLY different housing prices. There's no doubt you can buy a house in a first ring suburb for $250k or even less. My original comment was based on the most-desirable neighborhoods in Minneapolis proper. Mostly the south, southwest, and western portions of Minneapolis.
I am talking about Richfield. Recently in the StarTribune newspaper, house in Richfield were the fastes selling - good price and many good neighborhoods.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 pm

TLDR: Move before you get too established! What do you have to lose at this point?

I live in Twin Cities and have spent an enormous amount of time in Madison (and Milwaukee!)

I'm late to the party, but here is my attempt at an un-biased take. Feel free to read my previous posts for perspective.

The Twin Cities offer quite a bit, in my opinion, and I would recommend that you give it a try. You may find that the culture in Madison or WI in general fits you better, as I perceive it to be distinctly different than MN. Note I am not a native of MN.

It's substantially larger than Madison, 3.5MM metro with two unique sides to it. It isn't...small.

For me, if offers the same item you're focusing on - career growth and opportunities. This area has certainly provided growth for my career personally, while being satisfactory for the other half. Those two professions are law and engineering. The market is strong, and provides opportunities to work with larger F500 organizations or smaller privately owned companies of various industries. It isn't a one trick pony.

There's a strong airport, plenty of nice neighborhoods, and I'd venture a guess that crime is relatively low vs. other cities of this size. I'd also venture a guess the cold has something to do with it. You'll find there is plenty to 'do' shall you decide to pursue whatever activity it is. Traffic highly depends on where you live and work. West side is worse than east side, in my experience, plus are you with or against traffic?

Regarding housing - inner ring suburbs, as someone mentioned, are drastically different. I will also tell you that housing is, in general, relatively old for what you get. If you go further our, your commute potentially gets worse but your $ goes farther. Exactly what you'd think would happen. Our home was <200k, is 1400ft2 and built in the 1950s. We have updated the home with $50k in updates. It is 3bd, 1 bth. These are incredibly common statistics on a home. It's a rambler, not a bungalow. Both are incredibly common. 0.25 acre lots common. There are areas that we would avoid, but you need to rent first to understand those pockets. But again, I would just do the ol' sniff test. If you are around an area and think "this is meh", it probably is.

For desired areas like Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata (think west of MPLS) or other pockets on the N or NE side, things escalate quickly for property and homes. There's no free lunch.

However:

-MN are generally more reserved. Often you do not get a 'hello' from anyone on the sidewalk after you say "hello" in the neighborhood and you may not even get eye contact as they try to avoid you. It's super weird. You'll see.
-Compare this to my experience in Madison and with folks from WI in general, WI people tend to be very outgoing in my experience. Aside from being Packer and Badger homers :) but I like that. (I'm from a rival state not called MN)
-It's pretty cold but you knew that, I hate cold and always have, so that rubs on me a bit. I also dislike snow after awhile, I hate driving in it. (yes, I knew it was cold / snowy here, as I age it just gets worse for me though!) I think fall here is about 2 weeks long before it's fair game for snow. That's a bit tongue in cheek, but that's relative to where I came from which was only one state South. I'd venture a guess the cities are colder than Madison and not sure how spring / fall compare.
-Given that MN are generally more reserved, I'd recommend living in an area with a younger crowd like NE or Uptown to engage friendships more easily, if at all possible. Going straight to a house / 'burb would be awfully challenging to make new friends, in my experience, given the reservedness of MN.
-You'll find MN natives are blinded by only living in the twin cities. They offer everything you'd need, so it's easy to understand how there is no other perspective on areas other than the Twin Cities, but it may wear on you pending the person. I suppose that's could be anywhere you choose to live, but other transplants will be easier to relate to, and also understand the uniqueness of MN culture / persons in general. Again, it's not everyone, so take it with that in mind.

As I list pros and cons, and we get older, I appreciate what the Twin Cities have to offer and certainly understand why people like to live here but often ponder if it's the ideal landing spot for us. For us, long term, it may or may not be a good fit but we just don't know. As we become more 'established' with a little one on the way, we're going to evaluate how it suits us to give it a fair shake as our life changes course with said little one prior to making additional big life changes. But that's for us to figure out :)

Best of luck!
Last edited by LawEgr1 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paramedic

Post by paramedic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I have lived in Minneapolis. It's a nice place, and I generally recommend it. You get used to the weather! From my perspective, the only major downside of Minneapolis is that it sometimes feels like things move a bit slower in Minneapolis as compared to the rest of the nation. Granted, this is very subjective on my part.

I haven't lived in Madison, so I can't comment either way on Madison.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm

So I discussed compensation today...I’d bacially get a $3k raise to move to Madison when the cost of living is about 18% higher than where I currently live. Rent alone is about $500/mo more than my current city. I called up my recruiter friend from college and if I left for industry I’d get about a 10% increase over that in Madison.

Now Minneapolis I’d get a larger raise and if I left public accounting I could get a 20-30% raise. It’s a no brainer. I don’t want to put myself in a worse financial position than I am currently so Madison is out.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:26 am

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I’m over in Minneapolis this week for work. I’m somewhat questioning if the wages are higher here just because it’s so much more expensive overall. For one I’ve noticed meals are a lot more expensive that I’m use to in Madison. Then you factor in the difference in rent, etc. it makes Madison seem more appealing. 🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 am

malibuboats91 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:26 am
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I’m over in Minneapolis this week for work. I’m somewhat questioning if the wages are higher here just because it’s so much more expensive overall. For one I’ve noticed meals are a lot more expensive that I’m use to in Madison. Then you factor in the difference in rent, etc. it makes Madison seem more appealing. 🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

Stick with Madison. Better culture overall and the people are more friendly and actually say hi to you. My wife is from Minneapolis. Everytime we visit it just feels so different. The people keep to themselves most of the time.
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 am

malibuboats91 wrote:
That may be true in the short term, but over the long term, your employment and career growth options are much more expansive in the Twin Cities. You are at an age where you can make this move with very little downside risk. Give it a year or two and then you can always go back to Wisconsin if things don't work out.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 am

malibuboats91 wrote:
Where are you eating? I'm assuming since you're here for work, you're probably staying downtown. Downtown restaurants are more expensive, but I live in the suburbs and you can still get a burger at a sit-down restaurant for <$10.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

I wouldn't focus too much on the meals. In my experience, they will be higher than you are used to. But don't forget the following -

1) You don't need to eat out 100% of the time
2) As Glockenspiel stated, the prices will vary wildly depending on your location within the cities. Even some joints in the downtown areas aren't too bad. The further out you go, the cheaper it gets and then you find taverns as cheap as WI taverns.

However, I'd caution this one more time - to make a good social circle here you won't want to spend time in the burbs / further out. The younger less reserved crowd is in the downtown and surrounding areas, not in Eden Prairie (example). Therefore, expect to pay more because you'll be in the GENERALLY more expensive bars / restaurants. This isn't true across the board; always a good find to be had.

bberris

Post by bberris » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am

Minnesota has about the highest taxes in the country for a person of moderate income. Here are the single tax brackets:

​ Tax Bracket Tax Rate
$0.00+ 5.35%
$25,390.00+ 7.05%
$83,400.00+ 7.85%
$156,911.00+ 9.85%

Personal exemption and standard deduction that were in effect prior to the new federal tax law. That will change after the election.
Dividends, capital gains, social security (to the extent it is taxed federally), pensions, all are taxed at these rates.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 am

bberris wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am
Minnesota has about the highest taxes in the country for a person of moderate income. Here are the single tax brackets:

​ Tax Bracket Tax Rate
$0.00+ 5.35%
$25,390.00+ 7.05%
$83,400.00+ 7.85%
$156,911.00+ 9.85%

Personal exemption and standard deduction that were in effect prior to the new federal tax law. That will change after the election.
Dividends, capital gains, social security (to the extent it is taxed federally), pensions, all are taxed at these rates.
^^^Part of the reason that Minnesota is consistently rated as one of the top states to live in. Great quality of life, healthy, highly-educated population, amazing parks, lakes, state parks, trails, improving transit system, good infrastructure (minus the I-35W bridge collapse). Our property tax rates are low to moderate. There are other states with higher or similar state income tax (Oregon, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont)

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 am
bberris wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am

​ Tax Bracket Tax Rate
$0.00+ 5.35%
$25,390.00+ 7.05%
$83,400.00+ 7.85%
$156,911.00+ 9.85%

^^^Part of the reason that Minnesota is consistently rated as one of the top states to live in. Great quality of life, healthy, highly-educated population, amazing parks, lakes, state parks, trails, improving transit system, good infrastructure (minus the I-35W bridge collapse). Our property tax rates are low to moderate. There are other states with higher or similar state income tax (Oregon, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont)
I think there is something to be said about what kind of efficiency and ROI folks get on their taxes. I can tell you that out east here, it "feels" like there is a ton more corruption and inefficiency in places like NY State, for example. Even comparing the MSP airport vs. PHL airport....PHL is a dump comparatively. Having toggled between the two regions over many years, I can see why higher taxes might be more tolerable in a place like Minnesota.

Arinbjorn

Post by Arinbjorn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 am

I'm here in Rockford IL (a bit west of Chicago's Western suburbs) and feel like you'll do well in either place. I have family in the Twin Cities area, and go to Wisconsin on occasion, love all of it. Also, someday DW and I should relocate...

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks all! I am in Bloomington but was eating uptown (where I’d likely live). One other thing I noticed is I left work at 5 and it took my 45 minutes to get uptown. Definitely something I’d have to consider as Madison I could likely get home in 10-20 minutes.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

Minneapolis is currently a mess because of road construction. This is especially true for areas south of downtown. With the 35W freeway closed local streets are filled with commuters to the southern suburbs.

praxis

Post by praxis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm

I've lived in both cities and have read your comments carefully. I recommend Minneapolis for you. Both cities are wonderful places to live. 1 hour difference to your cabin is not a big reason. Rumors about MN Nice is not a reason to choose Madison over MSP. I found people in both places to be friendly and fun. Both cities are outdoors-friendly. Career opportunities are better for you in MSP. That is a stated priority for you. You've received advice in this thread from both camps. What matters is you and what you want. Make a chart. two columns: MSP & Madison. As many rows as you can think of. job, cabin, family, hobbies, new experiences, climate, commute, cost of living, promotion, opportunity to work for better companies, social life, cultural preferences (music, art, theater, museums, fairs, markets), restaurants, bars, travel connections, politics, dating prospects.
Then rate each row for each city as accurately as you can with what you can find out. From 1-5. Add the columns. Pack your bags.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 pm

praxis wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm
I've lived in both cities and have read your comments carefully. I recommend Minneapolis for you. Both cities are wonderful places to live. 1 hour difference to your cabin is not a big reason. Rumors about MN Nice is not a reason to choose Madison over MSP. I found people in both places to be friendly and fun. Both cities are outdoors-friendly. Career opportunities are better for you in MSP. That is a stated priority for you. You've received advice in this thread from both camps. What matters is you and what you want. Make a chart. two columns: MSP & Madison. As many rows as you can think of. job, cabin, family, hobbies, new experiences, climate, commute, cost of living, promotion, opportunity to work for better companies, social life, cultural preferences (music, art, theater, museums, fairs, markets), restaurants, bars, travel connections, politics, dating prospects.
Then rate each row for each city as accurately as you can with what you can find out. From 1-5. Add the columns. Pack your bags.
Thanks! I definitely like the vibe over here. I think that living closer to work would be best vs driving uptown every day. I’m going to make the chart tonight.

cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 pm

I grew up in the Twin Cities.

Both places are great, definitely more job opportunities in the Twin Cities.

You are young, so my 2 cents would be the Twin Cities, bigger city with much more going on. Plus, with a major airport, it's cheaper and more convenient to get to other places.

However, as you have kids, Madison is a fabulous place to raise a family and not have to deal with the "stressors" of big city life. Since you've lived in Madison, you know traffic is not an issue. All I need is within a 8 mile radius for me.

I also believe that cost of living is less in Madison (+ remember state income tax and sales taxes as well). To find affordable housing to buy in the Twin Cities you either need to go to older neighborhoods with smaller houses or head way out into the suburbs and have a crazy commute.

As a happy Midwesterner, you won't go wrong, just depends on what's most important to you.

Good luck!
Last edited by cashheavy18 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I think Madison is the answer for me. In the current I can get an apartment for $400-500 less per month, will drive a lot less which means less maintenance costs on my car along with fuel and also I’ll save time by not sitting in as bad of traffic. Career options may be a lot less than Minneapolis, but I think I’d be comfortable. My only concern would be that it’s a college town so I may not find a wife there. Regardless it’s a lot larger than my current city.

I really like the idea of Minneapolis and actually like the ‘vibe’ I’m getting, but I feel like I’m always driving and a bit in ‘shock’ by how big it is. I talked to a few people in the Minneapolis office and they were comparing about how expensive it is to live here. One guy pays $800/mo for 1/3 the rent and said things are tight...I’d be paying about $1,600 so things would really be really right for me then. I don’t know though...I could leave my company in a year and probably get a good increase in salary. Thoughts?

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Where are you looking at apartments? I see lots of choices on CL for 1BR in nice older buildings in Uptown for around $1050.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 pm

nordsteve wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Where are you looking at apartments? I see lots of choices on CL for 1BR in nice older buildings in Uptown for around $1050.
Apartments.com
Hot pads
PadMapper

Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place?

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 pm

This is one example of what I'm thinking.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 62075.html

Uptown is filled with a ton of well maintained prewar apartments like these.

If you're insisting on living in a brand new building like the one below then it's going to cost more. This neighborhood is similar to Uptown.

https://livenordhaus.com/

If you want amenities but more moderate rents, something like this might be your style. Easy commute to Bloomington.

http://www.move2concierge.com/

There are a ton of apartments at every price in Bloomington, but it's not the same atmosphere as Uptown for sure.

An in-between option for you would be Linden Hills, on the west side of Harriet. Easier commute to Bloomington, great lakes access, easy Lyft to Uptown.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/sear ... s&sort=rel

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:21 am

nordsteve wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 pm
This is one example of what I'm thinking.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 62075.html

Uptown is filled with a ton of well maintained prewar apartments like these.

If you're insisting on living in a brand new building like the one below then it's going to cost more. This neighborhood is similar to Uptown.

https://livenordhaus.com/

If you want amenities but more moderate rents, something like this might be your style. Easy commute to Bloomington.

http://www.move2concierge.com/

There are a ton of apartments at every price in Bloomington, but it's not the same atmosphere as Uptown for sure.

An in-between option for you would be Linden Hills, on the west side of Harriet. Easier commute to Bloomington, great lakes access, easy Lyft to Uptown.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/sear ... s&sort=rel
Hey thanks for the information! I’m going to dig a little further into these options tonight!

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am

Minneapolis area is much larger and very sprawley. Traffic can be horrible if you have to commute. If you choose to live there, pick carefully so you are in a neighborhood with like-minded people and plenty of stuff to do close by. You don't want to move somewhere you will be isolated unless you get it a car and drive all over. Chances are you'll spend a lot of time commuting to/from your job.

Madison is much more compact. There are currently tons of rental options, both brand new and flats in 100 year old houses. Epic systems has really driven the rental market with many new rental projects being built. Young people who want to be downtown. Many parts of downtown Madison are unrecognizable compared to just a few years ago due to the downtown building boom. No matter where you work/live in Madison, your commute will be very tolerable. Madison is also supremely walkable/bikeable. Uber rides around town are cheap.

Plus Badgers/Packers vs. Golden Gophers/Vikings. No comparison.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks all! I honestly don’t think I want to deal with all that traffic. Madison seems to be a good compromise and if for some reason it doesn’t work out I could go to Milwaukee.

spth

Post by spth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Minnesota nice is real. It can take a lot of effort to make friends. Don’t expect to make many friends if you plan to go to your cabin every weekend.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:48 am

spth wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 pm
Minnesota nice is real. It can take a lot of effort to make friends. Don’t expect to make many friends if you plan to go to your cabin every weekend.
Would that deter you? I’d only be going to my cottage half the summer weekends and never in the winter.

spth

Post by spth » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:21 am

“Cabin folk” miss out on a lot of social activities, speaking from experience.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:15 pm

malibuboats91 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm
Thanks all! I honestly don’t think I want to deal with all that traffic. Madison seems to be a good compromise and if for some reason it doesn’t work out I could go to Milwaukee.

This is really hard until you live here, but although the Twin Cities metro area is largely forgotten about and (IMO) seen as a 'smaller' area, it is in fact not so small. So, regarding the above-

1) Madison traffic is clearly going to be better. It is so much smaller than the twin cities you need to expect traffic to be potentially worse in the TCs.
2) Traffic you experienced may have been worse than normal due to the I35W work, due to you leaving at a terrible time, due to you taking the wrong route, etc.
3) Traffic CAN be minimized by understanding traffic flow patterns / optimizing where you live and work.

Example: I have a sibling that lives in a town that is about 55x smaller in a state south of MN. Say about 60-70k. That commute is longer than my commute because I chose a convenient place to live in the Cities. 12 minutes, both ways, every day.

This is a long way of me saying don't worry about the traffic, there are ways to optimize it. It truly isn't that bad considering 3.5MM people live here.

Additionally, summertime in MN is fantastic, going to the cottage may have you dislike the cities more because you won't be around during the nice times. Winter, on the other hand, is one cold dude (but plenty to do). Biggest concern would be socially: so live where the cool kids live and be around in the summer a bit 8-)

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Thank you all! Everyone’s been so helpful, which leads me to one more question... I visited the Madison office this week and I really like the vibe I got. My concern is when it comes to my compensation adjustment I’m basically going to be spending more than I’m making by about $3-5k whereas in my current city I’m able to bank about $5k in addition to the 20% I’m contributing to my retirement accounts. I’m getting cold feet. What do you think? The only way I can break even is if I drop my retirement contributions down to less than 10%. I definitely wasn’t expecting this.

CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Rents in Madison have been on the rise driven by lots of new apartments to house the Epic (and now Exact Sciences) employees. However, going 5 miles outside the beltline in most directions will save you hundreds of dollars a month. My advice would be to save a minimum of 15% at your age. So, that's 5% in addition to the 10% going to your 401K. If you are not comfortable living within those means, a move may not be in the cards for you.

Good Luck,

Kevin

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 pm

CFOKevin wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm
Rents in Madison have been on the rise driven by lots of new apartments to house the Epic (and now Exact Sciences) employees. However, going 5 miles outside the beltline in most directions will save you hundreds of dollars a month. My advice would be to save a minimum of 15% at your age. So, that's 5% in addition to the 10% going to your 401K. If you are not comfortable living within those means, a move may not be in the cards for you.

Good Luck,

Kevin
I agree! I was looking in Fitchburg, Verona and Middleton. For any decent sized building you’re looking at $1050 for a 1 bedroom, plus parking, utilities, etc.

I’ve been putting about 20% of my salary into retirement accounts and would prefer to continue doing so. This would have been feasible if my comp adjustment would be in line with what the COL difference is, but unfortunately it’s not. I don’t think it’s worth putting myself in a worse position financially just to be in a more fun city. Maybe that’s just the accountant in me, but it seems right.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm

I loved living in Minneapolis in an old neighborhood, then in Saint Paul in an older street car suburb and then farther south in an 1950's neighborhood. Only moved because my awesome wife was from Seattle and she wanted to move back to be closer to her family.

Twin Cities are the best Midwestern urban area in many ways.

ramsfan

Post by ramsfan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Not sure if this is a factor for you, but Minneapolis Police are very problematic. I witnessed some egregious behavior, and since then I have done research that has lead me to the conclusion I won't travel there again, and I certainly will not live there. The suburbs - fine, but not Minneapolis. You can do your own research if this is a factor for you.

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 pm

ramsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm
Not sure if this is a factor for you, but Minneapolis Police are very problematic. I witnessed some egregious behavior, and since then I have done research that has lead me to the conclusion I won't travel there again, and I certainly will not live there. The suburbs - fine, but not Minneapolis. You can do your own research if this is a factor for you.
I’m not too worried about that. Thanks for the tip tho!

malibuboats91

Post by malibuboats91 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm

To conclude....I’m withdrawing my transfer on Monday. In the past year I increased my net worth by $37k and by moving I’ll increase it by about $12k. Even though I would have a lot more fun, it seems to be a no brainer staying until I get an offer in one of the cities that puts me in a similar position financially to what I currently am. Thoughts?

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Hello,

Somehow you've amassed 95 responses in this thread. Some of it is reasonable advice. At this point, it's in your hands to make the final decision and I'd propose no one else can make a decision for you or provide any more useful information. My only opinion is that it reads like you desire Madison but are allured by the large city and it's a comfort zone thing.

Make the leap or don't, either way you'll be fine. Good luck. :happy