Disappointed with Fidelity's Online Interface

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
spm301

Disappointed with Fidelity's Online Interface

Post by spm301 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 am

Fidelity Online Interface is terrible.

Is anyone else disappointed with the online interface at Fidelity? I recently switched to Fidelity due to my brokerage closing I find it to be increasingly frustrating. I contacted fidelity regarding my frustrations, but they blew off my concerns.

Issue 1: Account History can only be downloaded in 90 Day Increments.... Is it unreasonable to want to download an entire year's worth of account history with a single click? Vanguard does it, my previous broker did it. Why does Fidelity limit me to 90 days?

Issue 2: The inability to see a quick pie chart/percent breakdown of investments. I contacted Fidelity regarding this feature and their response:

Fidelity: Please click "Accounts & Trade" then choose "Portfolio" and to see the percentage of your investments within your account click on the "Analysis" tab. Once you are on the "Analysis" tab please click on "view all of your positions" under "Top Positions & Ratings." The scroll bar at the bottom of the page will allow you to scroll to see percentages.

... that seems completely ridiculous for such a simple, common feature.

Issue 3: Automatic investment screen is atrocious, Vanguard is by far much better and my previous brokerage was as well. Automatic investments are limited to at most once a month, if you want more than once a month you have to set up multiple automatic investments. In addition, pretty sure the automatic investment continues whether or not you have money...it merely switches to margin.

Issue 4: The amount of excessive clicks/screens/methods it takes to accomplish simple things.
Ex1. Account history displays $1000 purchase of stock ABC, but you have to click down to see the price/quantity you received.
Ex2. Dividend re-investments need to be edited per security (no select all option)

Am I being ridiculous in my demands? I was debating between Schwab and Fidelity and post there here for anyone in the same situation. I'm really regretting switching to Fidelity.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Disappointed with Fidelity's Online Interface

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am

I have accounts with Fidelity, Schwab, TDAmeritrade and Vanguard.

The websites all suck.

Depending on what you're trying to do, see, list, it's always a complicated series of choices, sometimes not logical or intuitive. I'm on all 4 sites almost daily so have learned how to navigate. Which one is best and which one is worst depends what you want to do.

Example: The last thing I was looking for was a simple list of bond ETFs on Schwab. After following every possible link, I saw splashes of why onesource was great or what an ETF is or how my investment could grow. I gave up and decided to look on Fidelity which is quite easy to get to lists and I understand the choices and sliders to get rid of the $100MM minimum funds.

I don't do complicated things like auto-invest multiple things per month or anything, so can't comment on that. If it bothers you much, move your account to Vanguard. If Fidelity asks you why you're moving (I doubt they will), tell them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 am

I had online accounts with Vanguard and Fidelity for many years. I consolidated my accounts into Vanguard 3 years ago as a simplification effort. So I do not have recent experience with Fidelity. However, while I was using both, Fidelity's online interface was much superior to Vanguard's, and Vanguard has not improved that much in the past 3 years. In addition, Fidelity's customer service and other features were superior to Vanguard. I chose Vanguard as my single investment firm because they had the funds I wanted and offered the lowest cost.

You seem to have very high expectations. All complex and highly functional online systems will have flaws. If this bothers you that much, perhaps you should look for a replacement that you are more comfortable with.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am

Since you asked, I will say that I think you are trying to remake Fidelity's website so it will look like websites you have previously used. Before I retired, I headed two organizations that both fielded new IT systems. In both cases, the users kept telling the developers to "make it look like our old IT system." As the senior manager, I had to intervene and tell my own people that I did not hire the outside developer to reinvent the old system — especially when the new system made extensive use of off-the-shelf software, thereby saving development costs. My point is that many roads lead to Rome, and I suspect Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade, Merrill Edge, and T Rowe Price can all get you to Rome with slightly different software. The user needs to be flexible.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 am

For issue 1, just select Choose Custom Time Period at the bottom of the Time Period drop down box.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 am

issue 1:Account history can be grouped by last 10 days, last 30, last 60, last 90, by calendar quarter or a custom period as another poster suggested

issue 4: Click on "positions" and you'll see all holdings (for that account). Click on a holding and click on positions to see all transactions for that holding

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 am

Just the learning curve because it is new and your old ones did it differently. Give it some time and if you really continue go be frustated then you'll know the other providers worked better.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 am

I always dislike web changes, but eventually get used to them.

danielc

Post by danielc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

I have been using Fidelity for a short time and so far I have been happy with their website.
spm301 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 am
Issue 2: The inability to see a quick pie chart/percent breakdown of investments. I contacted Fidelity regarding this feature and their response:

Fidelity: Please click "Accounts & Trade" then choose "Portfolio" and to see the percentage of your investments within your account click on the "Analysis" tab. Once you are on the "Analysis" tab please click on "view all of your positions" under "Top Positions & Ratings." The scroll bar at the bottom of the page will allow you to scroll to see percentages.

Uhm... "Accounts & Trade > Portfolio" is just your home page. You surely don't expect them to display your investments on https://fidelity.com do you? On my browser I have my portfolio page bookmarked so I go there directly. When I go to the brokerage I see a pie chart with percentages. When I click on the "Positions" tab I see the dollar amount that I have on each security.

spm301 wrote:
Am I being ridiculous in my demands? I was debating between Schwab and Fidelity and post there here for anyone in the same situation. I'm really regretting switching to Fidelity.
Then switch back. I mean that in the nicest way possible. Don't use a product that's going to make you miserable. If you like Schwab's website better and that's important to use then that's what you should use. I think people should always use the service that works best for them.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32 pm

There is science supporting that people are much more accepting of incremental changes. Individuals may claim they want revolutionary or highly innovative designs that are a step change better, but they don't. They want the system they had before with some minor tweaks. Look at the behavior of auto manufacturers and how they bring products to market. It reflects a clear understanding of this concept.

Fidelity is not that bad. It will grow on you over time. They do have PC software also, Active Trader Pro. I don't like the PC software because it is different, even though it is probably better.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 pm

spm301 wrote:
Fidelity Online Interface is terrible.

Is anyone else disappointed with the online interface at Fidelity? I recently switched to Fidelity due to my brokerage closing I find it to be increasingly frustrating. I contacted fidelity regarding my frustrations, but they blew off my concerns.

Issue 1: Account History can only be downloaded in 90 Day Increments.... Is it unreasonable to want to download an entire year's worth of account history with a single click? Vanguard does it, my previous broker did it. Why does Fidelity limit me to 90 days?

Issue 3: Automatic investment screen is atrocious, Vanguard is by far much better and my previous brokerage was as well. Automatic investments are limited to at most once a month, if you want more than once a month you have to set up multiple automatic investments. In addition, pretty sure the automatic investment continues whether or not you have money...it merely switches to margin.

Issue 4: The amount of excessive clicks/screens/methods it takes to accomplish simple things.
Ex1. Account history displays $1000 purchase of stock ABC, but you have to click down to see the price/quantity you received.
Ex2. Dividend re-investments need to be edited per security (no select all option)

Yes, extremely so. As a Fidelity user and fan I recommend you moving to Schwab or better yet Vanguard.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

danielc

Post by danielc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32 pm
There is science supporting that people are much more accepting of incremental changes. Individuals may claim they want revolutionary or highly innovative designs that are a step change better, but they don't. They want the system they had before with some minor tweaks. Look at the behavior of auto manufacturers and how they bring products to market. It reflects a clear understanding of this concept.
Well, in the case of automakers we have a highly well-understood product. The early days of automobile manufacturing experimented with a lot of new designs. As automakers figured out which things work and which things don't, car designs have converned greatly and now cars tend to all look the same and have all the components in the same places. Things like aerodynamics, fuel efficiency, and the size and shape of human beings do not change rapidly from one year to the next.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm

These all seem very minor, but if you liked your old brokerage better you should vote with your feet.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

If you want an IT interface that was just updated and is totally illogical try TIIA. I will take Fidelity's web-site any day over Vanguard's which seems to be less efficient and functional and limited in its applications.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm

I partially concur about item #1, the history download. However, I have to asked what are you saving the history for? You can't go back to Fido 2 years later and challenge an item for correctness, as your window of opportunity has closed.

It seems to me Item #2 is set that way so that your can aggregate all of your accounts, or select only a few. Very helpful when one's ID is linked to multiple accounts, some of which may not be the User's but which the User only loosely manages, such as parent's, kid's, or spouse.

As other have said, be flexible and learn to live with it or lump it and go elsewhere.

I deal a similar attitude all the time. My DW is not a "LadyGeek" technocrat. She hates computers in general because often they work or present data differently than how she personally perceives it should be. Yet, she won't elevate her knowledge/skills/understanding to leverage the functions/capabilities of that interface/system.

An example is that in Word, she demands the hit <CR> at the end the line because that is what she learned in typing class 50 years ago, then complains of the screen jumping too many lines. Thus to preserve my sanity, I just have her write it on paper, give to me so I can enter it into Word, then I print it for her, she scribble edits it, and I fix the Word copy. Saves both of us a lot of angst.

Another example from just 3 days ago, DW came home from grocery store, where while bring groceries in, her car's alarm sounded 3 times. Her purse and electronic key dongle was left in the car because she was going back out shortly. My opinion, the car was being helpful in telling you that the dongle key was still in it. Her opinion, why didn't the car know she was going back out. I brought her purse in to prevent a 4th alarm, setting it directly in front of the door, so she could not miss it on her way back out.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I had both Fidelity and Vanguard for a while, and Fidelity was way, way, way better than Vanguard's. I had an account at Schwab but didn't use the web interface except maybe once per month.

I really like Fidelity's web site, but I'm used to it. I would guess that you are somewhat impacted by it all being new: As others pointed out, there are ways to do some of what he wants.

I would guess it isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound. You could give it some more time, or - as others have suggested - just go back. I personally would never willingly give up Fidelity's web interface for Vanguard's.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Your question was are you being ridiculous ?
Answer: yes

Action item: Take your business elsewhere

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 pm

To be fair to the OP brokerage and banking websites are pretty terrible across the board, it's like a rite of passage in the financial industry. Fidelity has had the same wacky web interface for at least 10 years and it's very clearly 4 or so different sites glued together.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 pm

I’ve gotten used to Fidelity’s interface, but Vanguard’s is getting worse. It seems to be going in the direction of bank websites, in that it is now more mobile friendly and less desktop friendly. Everything is larger now, and you can see fewer holdings per screen when you examine a fund’s portfolio.

That said, most of my money is at Vanguard. :happy It’s client-owned, and I’m happy with their funds.

Does anyone else remember that you used to be able to search for a holding in transaction history by typing it in? Now you have to use a dropdown box. Not a big deal if you were born a boglehead and never had anything but a three-fund portfolio, but quite a headache if you own individual stocks.

Edited: typos only
Last edited by linenfort on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm
Thus to preserve my sanity,

I’ve been there.
Her purse and electronic key dongle was left in the car because she was going back out shortly. My opinion, the car was being helpful in telling you that the dongle key was still in it. Her opinion, why didn't the car know she was going back out.
:D Thank you for the laugh! :D
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?