Wired/Wireless Headphones with Mic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Wired/Wireless Headphones with Mic

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:57 am

Hi Guys,

Im in the market for a over the ear headphone to watch TV and make phone calls.

Looking at Bose, Sony, and V-Moda.

Noise cancel would be nice but not mandatory.

What do you recommend?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

student

Re: Wired/Wireless Headphones with Mic

Post by student » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 am

If you are just watching tv and making phone call, you don't need something expensive. Amazon has tons of inexpensive over the ear headphones. As cheap as $16. https://www.amazon.com/iJoy-Rechargeabl ... s+with+mic

I can say the old Bose that I have (noise cancellation but not wireless and probably no mic) is very comfortable.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:35 am

my bose QC35 are amazing, but I don't think you need to spend $350 for a set of cans to watch tv and make calls.

Why do you need noise cancelling?

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 am

I guess I don't need it. But what about outside noise?

Good for calls?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 am

Don't wireless bluetooth headphones and mics add an average of 0.2 seconds delay each way?

This is one reason, at least, I don't use wireless for online language lessons (adding to what is already an internet sound/video delay and causing the video to not quite be synced with the audio). But it would seem to be enough to effect a phone call somewhat, as well.

I did buy a wireless bluetooth setup for my television before and I did often notice the sound delay (but not really a deal killer for many situations).

And maybe more expensive setup gets you shorter delays ... of that I am not sure ...

tindel

Post by tindel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 am

I've been using some Bose SoundLink II's. They are bluetooth and can be wired if your battery dies.
Excellent phone and music quality and comfort. I listen to most genre's of music (classical, blues, pop, rock, metal, reggae, rap, and folk primarily). Not usually country or jazz.

Noise-cancelling is cool, but not great IMHO. The technology needs to come further before I buy or the cost needs to come down. I work in a noisy environment, much like the inside of an airplane. There is maybe a 10-20% difference when using the QC-35's vs the SL-II's. A coworker has the QC-35's so I've been able to compare the two for extended periods in a loud environment. I was thinking about selling my SL-II's and getting the QC-35's... I decided against it. There's just not enough improvement for me to justify spending another $100 (a 40% increase in price at the time I bought - although I was able to find an already opened pair at Target for $180 so it would have been a 94.4% increase for me).

If you'll be using them in a quite house for the most part, I'd highly recommend the SL-II's.

I can't tell any time delay when on the phone, and any music streaming delay is irrelevant. Occasionally (perhaps once a week) a packet will drop that will give the headphones a bit of a glitch. Not a big deal, IMHO when dealing with wireless. I could listen wired if I was really worried about it. My primary concerns when listening are to keep from having a lot of loud ambient noise in my ears and to have something in the background while I work. I'm not usually focusing on the music when I listen. It's hard not to focus on the music sometimes when the audio quality is so good though too.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I use the Bose wireless Bluetooth. In fact I’m on a plane and using it now. Prior I used the Bose with attached wire. The noise cancellation for both.

I use them for hours while in the plane and they are Extremely comfortable, reliable and clear. They are a bit spendy but based upon my now 6 years of high utilization. It comes down to only a few dollars per month and even fewer per hour. Very durable and NEVER had an issue.

Tremendous clarity for sound and for phone.

five2one

Post by five2one » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I used my basic apple Iphone headphones for yard work, walking around, etc. I bought some cheap add-ons that slip over the earpiece so they lock in your ear. They stay in regardless of activity.

For quiet time, de-stress, etc. I put on my Bose wireless noise cancelling. They turn your head into a library BUT you can adjust noise cancelling level and still hear your kids if desired. They have wired backup option and allow me to walk around hands free and talk without cords.

If you are patient you can get them on sale throughout the year.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 pm

NC won't help in the office or at the park. They sample ambient sound and subtract it (or actively counteract it). But it's not instantaneous -- they won't help you at the shooting range, for instance. They're great for removing airplane drone and treadmill drone so I can keep the volume down and listen. But short-duration and rapidly-varying sounds come through crystal-clear. On planes, I can hear every conversation around me when I'm using NC headphones and it's pretty annoying -- all the shouting, minus the noise they're shouting over.

Sound-wise, I like Bose but mine fell apart. And I can't make calls (which is a feature not a bug for me).
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"