Tipping in a hotel room/cruise ship room

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

PhilosophyAndrew

Re: Tipping in a hotel room/cruise ship room

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

What lessons did you take away from this article, and what actionable advice does it provide for the OP’s question?

It seems plausible that, as the interviewed author maintains, that racism and sexism in our society impacts restaurant patrons and employees, but I’m unclear on how, if at all, this knowledge should affect my tipping behavior, and I imagine similar arguments could be made about other places where we tip, including hotels and cruises.

The article focuses on large-scale social critiques, the resolution of which goes way beyond individuals’ choices about when, who, how, and how much to tip.

Andy.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Never been on a cruise, but I leave a few dollars each day for housekeeping in hotels. I prefer to not have them service the room until I leave and keep the "Do not disturb" sign on my door. However several times I've had phone calls or staff coming and asking me about allowing housekeeping in when I try to keep them out. Maybe they like to come in to make sure I'm not wrecking the room?

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm
Never been on a cruise, but I leave a few dollars each day for housekeeping in hotels. I prefer to not have them service the room until I leave and keep the "Do not disturb" sign on my door. However several times I've had phone calls or staff coming and asking me about allowing housekeeping in when I try to keep them out. Maybe they like to come in to make sure I'm not wrecking the room?
The Vegas shooting changed the policy for some hotel chains

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Here's a great tip for tipping on cruises:

Get a stack of $2 bills. You will need to order these ahead of time from a large bank. People LOVE to be tipped with $2 bills. :D $1 is cheap, and $5 is too much. $2 would seem cheap if it wasn't a $2 bill. :beer

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Cruises are now automatically taking $15 pp per day. For a couple that's $30 per day, $210 per week, or $300 for a 10 day cruise. That's a lot of money, sometimes half of the actual cost of the entire cruise. What I do is to go to the front desk at the end of the cruise and reduce these automatic tips and then pay the difference to the persons who actually provided me good service. Tipping more than $30 per day is just crazy to me.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:47 pm

student wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm
For cruise ships, in addition to the mandated tips, I give extra money for the room attendant and the wait staff but I give them directly. For hotels, I usually put the do not disturb sign for my stay and leave a few dollars at the end of my trip.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't like or need people in the room everyday. How much of a mess can you make sleeping in a bed??? I take the sign down when I need new towels or occasionally if it is a long stay. Then I leave a few bucks per "cleaning" depending on the price of the place.

On a cruise I tip the prescribed amount which is automatically charged to you on all the major cruise lines. If the attendant does extra stuff, I give them more (like if I ask for ice all the time or whatever).

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Cruises are easy. On DAY ONE, not long after you check in to your room, or maybe concurrently, you will be visited by your dedicated steward. He/she will introduce the room to you and mention the upcoming fire drill. Before he/she leaves, you lay $20 on him. Bam. You are taken care of the rest of the cruise. Anything you want in your room or elsewhere on the ship. Not a bad idea to tip the waiters as well if they are providing good service. Same goes for bartenders if you like the service.

On the last day, if he has done well (and he will!) you hit the cabin boy with another $20 or whatever seems fair.