Rodents ate my car, and my insurance is ripping me off!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Church Lady

Rodents ate my car, and my insurance is ripping me off!

Post by Church Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am

Or is it?

Here is an update and new question from my thread: Rodents ate my car!
viewtopic.php?t=253089
I guess the new question is buried too deep in the thread as I have no answers.

I called my insurance company. Technically, my comprehensive
insurance covers rodent damage, but they paid nothing.

- Instead of a replacement fuel tank and evap line, they reimburse for a salvage fuel tank and line
- They reimburse at 1/3 the dealer labor rate, or about 1/2 an independent shop rate.

They said the +$1000 job was therefore a $200 job. Two hundred is below my deductible, so
they paid nothing. I don't take issue with not paying the deductible, but with the sleight of hand
that whittles 1000 to 200. My mechanic said a salvage fuel tank is very iffy.

Some posts here indicate satisfaction with their insurance coverage vis a vis rodent damage.
Did they treat you in similar fashion, or is my insurance company a ripoff? I'm wondering
if I should switch insurance companies.

The car has less than 80K miles on it, and is about 5 years old.

Thanks for reading!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

barnaclebob

Re: Rodents ate my car, and my insurance is ripping me off!

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am

Does you insurance have a list of approved mechanics? Generally when you go that route there will be few problems with reimbursement.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:10 am

Was it really necessary to submit a claim for this?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:19 am

Is this kind of "rodent damage" increasing for some reason? Just talked to a friend where this kind of thing happened to his Honda Civic.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Harness these days are soy based material.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm

mortfree wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:10 am
$1,000+ claim on a policy with a $200 deductible and you’re asking why OP wanted to file a claim?

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm
mortfree wrote:
$1,000+ claim on a policy with a $200 deductible and you’re asking why OP wanted to file a claim?
+1
I carry a $1k deductible on my vehicles, but Church Lady has paid for a policy with a lower deductible...she should expect payment on this claim.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Church Lady wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am
- Instead of a replacement fuel tank and evap line, they reimburse for a salvage fuel tank and line
- They reimburse at 1/3 the dealer labor rate, or about 1/2 an independent shop rate.
How do they justify the fractional labor rate payments? I don't know about the salvaged stuff, the policy may specify whether or not they have to fork out for OEM parts, perhaps.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:36 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
mortfree wrote:
+1
I carry a $1k deductible on my vehicles, but Church Lady has paid for a policy with a lower deductible...she should expect payment on this claim.
She said $200 is below my deductible.

I didn’t read it as $200 IS the deductible.

My bad??

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm

mortfree wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:36 pm

She said $200 is below my deductible.

I didn’t read it as $200 IS the deductible.

My bad??
Oh, your reading comprehension might be better than mine & TropikThunder's! I guess we can assume that her deductible is between $250-$500. So I probably would have filed a claim if the repair bill was $1000.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:33 pm

We had wires eaten by a chipmunk or squirrel on a 1999 (i.e. non-soy-based-wiring). Netbag with mothballs, and popping the hood every few days eliminated the problem.

OP asks if insurance company is bad "their insurance" but doesn't name company. Impossible for others to comment as they don't know particulars.

I've been with AMICA for 38 years. I have no "we won't cover it" issues or games-playing. Cheap insurance is cheap service most times.

segfault

Post by segfault » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Are they depreciating labor? Materials may depreciate, but labor does not.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am
Does you insurance have a list of approved mechanics? Generally when you go that route there will be few problems with reimbursement.
They said nothing about approved mechanics, but explicitly mentioned I could take it to any shop I wanted.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm

mouses wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Church Lady wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am
How do they justify the fractional labor rate payments? I don't know about the salvaged stuff, the policy may specify whether or not they have to fork out for OEM parts, perhaps.
I don't know how they justify that. That's why I'm asking if this is standard practice.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:33 pm

OP asks if insurance company is bad "their insurance" but doesn't name company. Impossible for others to comment as they don't know particulars.
I did not name the company, but I did say how they treated me, and asked if others were treated the same or better. Why is the name of the company important?

I have heard tell of companies aggressively persecuting consumers who dared name them in negative posts. Not interested in opening that can of worms.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
mortfree wrote:
+1
I could not have said it better myself!

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 am

Church Lady wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm
mortfree wrote:
I could not have said it better myself!

This question is asked in hindsight of the situation.

Given that the insurance didn't pay anything towards the $1000+ repair, was it worth submitting a claim?

Do you now have a policy with a claim on it instead of being "claim-free" even though insurance paid $0?

Do you feel that your low deductible is worth the extra costs and how likely are you to submit a claim in the future?

I do the $1000 deductible and would lean more towards self-insuring and only rely on insurance for a major accident/repair.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 am

When our car was hit by a car exiting a parking lot and simply ignoring the physics law that says 2 cars can't occupy the same space at the same time, the estimate from the insurance adjuster came with a used door to replace the one crunched. The estimate listed 2 local junkyards who had the door and the price for each.

I would think that your estimate should do the same. I've found in most cases, where my car is going to get fixed, it's been best to leave it at an insurance company approved repair facility, pay my deductible and let them deal with it.

I suppose going forward, if you want to avoid this issue, don't buy cars where parts are made from mouse food.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:06 am

This question is asked in hindsight of the situation.

Given that the insurance didn't pay anything towards the $1000+ repair, was it worth submitting a claim?
I could not have known what they would pay in advance of filing the claim.
Do you now have a policy with a claim on it instead of being "claim-free" even though insurance paid $0?
The insurance company told me I am 'not at fault' for this claim. The guys at the shop think my premium won't be going up. A collision is a different matter.
Do you feel that your low deductible is worth the extra costs and how likely are you to submit a claim in the future?
I thought the car was relatively new and in good shape --and indeed, the insurance company said as much when they inspected the vehicle. My deductible is $500. If I bumped it up to $1000, I would not save that much on comprehensive coverage, Maybe a couple bucks! Maybe the reason is they don't pay out squat :oops: Maybe I should be asking if comprehensive is worth carrying.

Here is what I am asking ... is my insurance company scamming me, or is the treatment consistent with the treatment others have received under their policy?

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 am
When our car was hit by a car exiting a parking lot and simply ignoring the physics law that says 2 cars can't occupy the same space at the same time, the estimate from the insurance adjuster came with a used door to replace the one crunched. The estimate listed 2 local junkyards who had the door and the price for each.

I would think that your estimate should do the same. I've found in most cases, where my car is going to get fixed, it's been best to leave it at an insurance company approved repair facility, pay my deductible and let them deal with it.
I would be fine with a good condition salvage door, fender, hood, etc. The mechanic at the shop says you can't know the condition of the fuel tank before you install it. He seems to think it is a very bad thing the insurance company is trying to do. But you might have a point about using the insurance company's body shop.
I suppose going forward, if you want to avoid this issue, don't buy cars where parts are made from mouse food.
Funny thing, they don't tell you that at the dealership. :(

They say all cars are moving towards 'eco-friendly' (support your local rodent) plastics. I'm not sure any of us will be able to avoid that sort of thing. :( :( :(

Even if they had said something of that nature, I would have thought in a neighborhood of feral cats, I'd be relatively immune from that sort of thing. Indeed it has not happened in five years. I guess they are getting too old to hunt!

My mechanic has sprayed the underside of my car with a foul smelling substance to deter a repeat incident. I guess that, and aggressive eradication of local fauna, is my recourse. :(

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am

As much as I love animals, I still have a tray full of anti freeze under my rollaway toolbox in the garage. Mice can get in and they either drink the stuff and die in the garage or they drown in it. The space to climb in is too small for any larger animals to get in (not even squirrels).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 am

I have experience with this type of claim. The LKQ fuel tank(used) is normally not a concern on a vehicle 5 years old. The only thing I would wonder about is the wiring that was chewed. Was it to the in tank fuel pump? I would not want to accept a used fuel pump from the salvage yard. The labor difference is due to the fuel tank replacement being a job that could be completed at a body shop which has a much lower labor rate. Having said all of this, if the vehicle was sitting a a dealership, I would have paid the cost of their labor and a new fuel pump assy (if I was your adjuster).

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am

Your insurance is ripping you off. Repair costs are what is covered via comp insurance. They have to pay to fix the car whatever the money and then you pay the deductable. All this BS about depreciating parts and labor is bs. Tell them to fix your car!!!

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am

Church Lady wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am
They said nothing about approved mechanics, but explicitly mentioned I could take it to any shop I wanted.
Then it sounds like you have a shady insurance provider and need to push back on them unless the total cost will still only be a little above your deductible. Who is your insurer?

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 am

Most insurance companies use a market labor rate that they periodically review and adjust. It’s the cost on average for work at at body repair rate and a mechanical rate. Body shops and dealerships are free to set their rates however high they want, and they typically know what insurance will pay. When I adjusted, this was always a game for them. They wanted the work and some would accept the rate other wouldn’t.

Dealerships are notorious for high mechanical rates because they have to support their shiny facilities and want to give the perception that they offer the most knowledgeable service. I will only use dealerships for warranty work.

In this example, they are in a tough spot because the vehicle likely would need to be towed to another shop. I would also try to do what Dan suggested, but many adjusters have their hands tied depending on authority levels.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am

Church Lady wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

I did not name the company, but I did say how they treated me, and asked if others were treated the same or better. Why is the name of the company important?

I have heard tell of companies aggressively persecuting consumers who dared name them in negative posts. Not interested in opening that can of worms.
So you figure your insurance company might see "Church Lady" and "rodents", and put 2 and 2 together? :shock:

Cody

Post by Cody » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am

Love the OP title.

One big mouse!

Good Luck

Cody

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 am
I have experience with this type of claim. The LKQ fuel tank(used) is normally not a concern on a vehicle 5 years old. The only thing I would wonder about is the wiring that was chewed. Was it to the in tank fuel pump? I would not want to accept a used fuel pump from the salvage yard. The labor difference is due to the fuel tank replacement being a job that could be completed at a body shop which has a much lower labor rate. Having said all of this, if the vehicle was sitting a a dealership, I would have paid the cost of their labor and a new fuel pump assy (if I was your adjuster).

Dan
Very interesting. The shop said the body shop nearby subcontracts work of this nature to them, and they charge their normal shop rate, not the body shop rate. In other words, they maintain a fuel tank cannot be replaced by a body shop. This is one reason I am miffed at the labor rate comp'd.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am
Church Lady wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

So you figure your insurance company might see "Church Lady" and "rodents", and put 2 and 2 together? :shock:
(Adjusts tin foil hat) D**n straight! "They" use AI to trawl the internet for references to their companies. Time frame, car age and mileage, nature of claim ... darn poor AI if it can't figure it out.

Again, why is the name of the company important to you? If I said "state farm" (for example), would your answer be different than the answer if I said "Allstate" or "Progressive"?

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 pm

Cody wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am
Love the OP title.

One big mouse!

Good Luck

Cody
:) :) :) Thanks!

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Church Lady wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 pm
Again, why is the name of the company important to you? If I said "state farm" (for example), would your answer be different than the answer if I said "Allstate" or "Progressive"?
Personally, I'd like to know the name of the company so that I'd be able to avoid using them in the future.

Considering that you are asking for help or advice from others, it seems only fair that you'd return the favor.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Church Lady wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm
dwickenh wrote:

Dan
Very interesting. The shop said the body shop nearby subcontracts work of this nature to them, and they charge their normal shop rate, not the body shop rate. In other words, they maintain a fuel tank cannot be replaced by a body shop. This is one reason I am miffed at the labor rate comp'd.
I was also part owner of a body shop for 18 years, and we changed plenty of fuel tanks, both new and used.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

FCM

Post by FCM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm

I have Allstate Insurance. When my car was damaged by a tree limb that fell on it, the damage was covered by the comprehensive coverage I carried on the car. There was no deductible; Allstate covered 100%.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 pm

FCM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm
I have Allstate Insurance. When my car was damaged by a tree limb that fell on it, the damage was covered by the comprehensive coverage I carried on the car. There was no deductible; Allstate covered 100%.
Just to clarify you comment, does your policy statement say $0 deductible on your comp coverage (mine is $100), or did you have a deductible but it was waived by Allstate?

FCM

Post by FCM » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:05 am

My Allstate policy shows $0 deductible for the comprehensive coverage. However, I might be paying a slightly higher premium for $0 deductible.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

dwickenh wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm
Church Lady wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm
dwickenh wrote:

Dan
I was also part owner of a body shop for 18 years, and we changed plenty of fuel tanks, both new and used.
More and more interesting .. and very, very helpful! Thanks very much!

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am

Church Lady wrote:
You have heard wrong. A few sensationalist news articles doesn't mean you can't tell the truth.

Different insurance companies have different levers that you can pull to get results. People here might have specific experience with your company that can get you results in getting a claim fairly paid out.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm

We had wires eaten by a chipmunk or squirrel on a 1999 (i.e.
non-soy-based-wiring). Netbag with mothballs, and popping the hood
every few days eliminated the problem.

I've been with AMICA for 38 years. I have no "we won't cover it" issues or games-playing.
Cheap insurance is cheap service most times.

I've been with AMICA for 38 years. I have no "we won't cover it" issues or games-playing. Cheap insurance is cheap service most times.
Thanks!