Best way to clean eyeglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jim180

Re: Best way to clean eyeglasses?

Post by Jim180 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Personally I would never clean glasses with water that has chlorine in it. I had water droplets with chlorine dry on my glasses one time after getting wet from a garden hose and the protective coating peeled off the lenses from the chlorine. I purchase Zeiss eyeglass cleaner and use an eyeglass cloth to clean them.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm

CoinCounter wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 pm
I wear glasses all the time and I really like these Zeiss wipes:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moiste ... MD70XSB5DP

Obviously not the most economical or waste-efficient option, but very effective.
That's what I use for most of the lens cleaning but I occasionally go full hog with dish soap and running water. Sometimes I use spray cleaner and microfiber cloth that I get from the place that sells me my glasses. It's free and it works. But usually it's those Zeiss wipes.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Jim180 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 pm
Personally I would never clean glasses with water that has chlorine in it. I had water droplets with chlorine dry on my glasses one time after getting wet from a garden hose and the protective coating peeled off the lenses from the chlorine. I purchase Zeiss eyeglass cleaner and use an eyeglass cloth to clean them.
Hmm! Hadnt't thought about that. Perhaps I don't notice a problem because I use water from the sink so rarely.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Have any of you ever seen a "cleaner" that was a piece of oil-soaked felt dispensed from a lipstick like container? I remember having one many years ago. It really did help with smudges. New smudges like fingerprints dissolved into the oily coating it left on the lens.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 pm

nominalBob wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:36 pm
Have any of you ever seen a "cleaner" that was a piece of oil-soaked felt dispensed from a lipstick like container? I remember having one many years ago. It really did help with smudges. New smudges like fingerprints dissolved into the oily coating it left on the lens.
Yep. I had those when I was a teenager or so. Seemed pretty good, and so high-tech, at the time--50 or more years ago.

I had completely forgotten about them. Thanks for the flashback!

Candor

Post by Candor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:19 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm
Zeiss wipes. Get them at Walmart.
Highly recommended. I also use them to clean my photography lenses (some worth the price of a decent used car). I have tried many well rated cleaning solutions and these work the best.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:40 pm

I normally give them a quick scrub with my shirt tail. This only works if the shirt is cleaner than the spectacles..

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Less expensive than Zeiss, I use alcohol pads. They can be found in the diabetic area of a pharmacy.

Nurses and dr,’s use them at the hospital.
"La Bella Luna"

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Toons wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm
I stop by Walmart and pick up their eyeglass cleaner at the optical dept.
:happy
Fyi. When done with your bottle, you can take it in and get a free refill. This is what my wife does. Buy it once, keep the bottle and they will refill for free. She has kept the bottle for 15 years...
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 am

lostdog wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm
Toons wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm
I stop by Walmart and pick up their eyeglass cleaner at the optical dept.
:happy
Fyi. When done with your bottle, you can take it in and get a free refill. This is what my wife does. Buy it once, keep the bottle and they will refill for free. She has kept the bottle for 15 years...
Bingo :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee