Tick Tubes and boxes. Permethrin Fipronil

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rerod

Tick Tubes and boxes. Permethrin Fipronil

Post by rerod » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 am

Hello people.

I just bought a property out in the country I plan on retiring on in 10 years. My GF is currently renting it from me and we have noticed allot of ticks since she moved in probably because there are allot of field mice and deer in the area.

Has anyone used tick tubes or boxes with noticeable results? I'm reading good reviews about commercial Permethrin tick tubes so I'd like to make some but Im a bit confused which poison to use because Ive also read the store bought "boxes" use Fipronil and was wondering which one was more effective? None of use have lyme disease and we would like it to keep that way!

Thanks!

3CT_Paddler

Re: Tick Tubes and boxes. Permethrin Fipronil

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:44 am

Here is southeast PA, ticks carrying Lyme disease are a common occurrence. I have had friends suggest wearing Permethrin treated clothing. It supposedly is inert once dry for people and withstands a lot (100) of washes (according to some company brochures).

I can't imagine that tick tubes would do much considering the total area you would need to cover.

iceport

Post by iceport » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 am

3CT_Paddler wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:44 am
I can't imagine that tick tubes would do much considering the total area you would need to cover.
I don't have any experience with yard tick control measures, but I strongly suspect 3CT_Paddler is exactly correct.

There is no tick control that would enable you to stop using personal tick protection and to avoid diligently and thoroughly checking yourselves for ticks when you've been outside, for however brief a period. If anything, the yard tick control attempts could lead to a false sense of security.

I live in north central CT, not all that far from Lyme disease ground zero. We also have lots of deer and rodents, and an abundant deer tick population. I had to remove an embedded (but not engorged) female deer tick from myself last month, and that served as a warning to be more diligent about personal tick protection. So I use Repel's lemon eucalyptus repellent more often, and am more consistent in checking myself thoroughly for new critters.

You'll have to keep checking yourselves for crawling or embedded ticks no matter what you end up doing for tick control and prevention. It's a simple but surprisingly effective way to deal with the problem. Eventually, you get over the ick factor, and just deal with it.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am

Last summer we had a bunch of clothing treated with a permethrin treatment called Insect Shield.

A web search will turn them up. Look at the tab on "IS your clothes."

The biggy, I'm sorry to say, is that I just can't say from our own experience whether or not it was effective. Our trips since we got the treatments haven't involved areas with heavy tick or mosquito density.

I assume that Insect Shield does whatever permethrin does. Permethrin is actually different from DEET, if you read about it--it is more of an insecticide than an insect repellent as such. Insect Shield, in response to an email inquiry, said that DEET and Insect Shield can be used together, that bug sprays don't damage the Insect Shield treatment, and that they think it is a good combination.

Regarded as a service, and ignoring the price (!), it was very satisfactory. We paid money up front, they sent us big tough bags with prepaid shipping labels on them, we stuffed your items into the bag with paperwork, the bags met our expectations with regard to size (i.e. we were able to put 8-10 items in the bag which they said would hold 8-10 items), they got them back to us well within the promised time frame... and all treated items were neatly labeled, in many cases with a sewn-in label. They claim the treatment will last through 75 washings.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 am

I have never used any general tick repellent things that have worked very well including tubes. The only thing that works well is to put permethrin spray and treat your clothes. (No need to buy special clothes with it already applied.) You can buy it in spray bottles that you apply to your clothes in a ventilated area and let it dry for a few hours before wearing. The stuff I use says it is good for up to six washings. It works very well and goes where you go.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am

I live in a community generally bounded by a lake and a national park. We have a lot of wildlife, and a lot of ticks. For 2016-2017 I tried tick tubes with minimal results. Even applying DEET based repellent when going outside, I still was pulling off half a dozen ticks per year. This year, I went with the "nuke the yard from orbit" approach, and have yet to find a tick on me. This year's regimen consisted of an early-Spring and mid-Spring application of Bifen XTS to my entire property.

Of course, even after knocking down the tick population with pesticide, we still use repellent and do daily tick checks.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am

Bifen is what the professionals in our area use. We used to have part of our property treated but it got expensive.

What do you use to apply it - a regular hose-end sprayer?
Smorgasbord wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am
I live in a community generally bounded by a lake and a national park. We have a lot of wildlife, and a lot of ticks. For 2016-2017 I tried tick tubes with minimal results. Even applying DEET based repellent when going outside, I still was pulling off half a dozen ticks per year. This year, I went with the "nuke the yard from orbit" approach, and have yet to find a tick on me. This year's regimen consisted of an early-Spring and mid-Spring application of Bifen XTS to my entire property.

Of course, even after knocking down the tick population with pesticide, we still use repellent and do daily tick checks.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am
Bifen is what the professionals in our area use. We used to have part of our property treated but it got expensive.
What do you use to apply it - a regular hose-end sprayer?
I apply the Bifen XTS with a backpack sprayer that has been modified so that the spray nozzle is at the end of a ~10 foot pole. One of my earlier versions of the sprayer can be seen here. I do the treatments by aiming the spray nozzle downward and moving the pole back and forth as I slowly walk backwards. For my 1/3 acre lot I use about 1 ounce of Bifen XTS (diluted with 3 gallons of water), so the total cost of an application is about a dollar (and my time).

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

Pretty tangential, but given the concern with ticks...

...has anyone else done a double-take at the passage in Tom Sawyer concerning what I can only call a "pet tick?" Tom is so enamored of the tick that he trades Huck his tooth for it.
"Say—what’s that?”
“Nothing but a tick.”
“Where’d you get him?”
“Out in the woods.”
“What’ll you take for him?”
“I don’t know. I don’t want to sell him.”
“All right. It’s a mighty small tick, anyway.”
“Oh, anybody can run a tick down that don’t belong to them. I’m satisfied with it. It’s a good enough tick for me.”
“Sho, there’s ticks a plenty. I could have a thousand of ’em if I wanted to.”
“Well, why don’t you? Becuz you know mighty well you can’t. This is a pretty early tick, I reckon. It’s the first one I’ve seen this year.”
“Say, Huck—I’ll give you my tooth for him.”
“Less see it.”
Tom got out a bit of paper and carefully unrolled it. Huckleberry viewed it wistfully. The temptation was very strong. At last he said:
“Is it genuwyne?”
Tom lifted his lip and showed the vacancy.
“Well, all right,” said Huckleberry, “it’s a trade.”
In chapter VII, he takes it out of the box in school and he and Joe Harper play a sort of game with it until the teacher notices.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am
Last summer we had a bunch of clothing treated with a permethrin treatment called Insect Shield.

A web search will turn them up. Look at the tab on "IS your clothes."

The biggy, I'm sorry to say, is that I just can't say from our own experience whether or not it was effective. Our trips since we got the treatments haven't involved areas with heavy tick or mosquito density.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... -from-mums

This was just on NPR the other day. The conclusion seems that it's pretty effective.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 pm

rerod wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 am
Hello people.

Has anyone used tick tubes or boxes with noticeable results? I'm reading good reviews about commercial Permethrin tick tubes so I'd like to make some but Im a bit confused which poison to use because Ive also read the store bought "boxes" use Fipronil and was wondering which one was more effective?
What you are reading about the tick tubes is 100 % correct. In fact, the permethrin-based ones have had such great success in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic that the state of Massachusetts, along with various local goverments in CT, R.I., NY have published their actual case studies.

https://www.mosquitosquadma.com/tick-tu ... e-disease/

I'm a believer, started using the Dammix brand 2 years ago, definitely noticed a drop in number of ticks seen. (Our area was part of field study that showed approx. 70% of deer ticks carried the Lyme bacteria)
They really do cover quite a wide area, I need only 2 for my 5,000 sq foot lot. The key to success: After placing them, check in a few days to see if the cotton has been disturbed. This is the sign the mice have taken it back to their nests.
If the cotton hasn't been disturbed, try moving the tube to a diff. area of the yard.
Forget the sunny spots. Ticks like dark, shady and damp places so pay attention to those.

Not sure what you mean by you would like to "make your own" tick tubes (??) That is not a good idea, how would you know the correct proportions - tick tubes are relatively inexpensive, think I last paid around $23 for a box of 6. You only put them out twice a year, once in April-May, then again in Sept-Oct. (Rain does not effect the potency)
Lowe's garden centers also carry a brand of the tick tubes, can't remember the name now, even cheaper.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

I have used the tick tubes as well. I spot spray a few areas with Triazicide. This winter a pair of foxes had six kits under our shed so the rodent population is way down-- I mean way down. I haven't seen a squirrel in weeks. Even the snakes seem to have disappeared (I've tossed more than one snake spine into the woods from my lawn.) Used to have moles too; their gone. Foxes are ruthless; I hope they come back next year.

I know that squirrels will take the cotton to their nests because earlier in the year a storm blew a squirrels nest down from one of our oak trees and it was nothing but leaves and little cotton balls. They must have been collecting them for a couple years to accumulate so many.

Bifen has an added value in that it also suppresses chiggers. In some ways chiggers are worse than ticks. Ticks you can usually find on your clothes or skin and remove. By the time you "find" chiggers it is too late.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

I know that squirrels will take the cotton to their nests ...... Ticks you can usually find on your clothes or skin and remove.
That's actually a good thing, the squirrels carry deer ticks, just like the mice.
Adult ticks, yes, they are usually large enough and dark enough in color to see. If you are alert. But the nymph ticks, from which a bite is usually how people contract Lyme disease, are no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence.
That is how I got Lyme (2015) Did not know the tick was there until I felt the tell-tale intense itching.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

^ yes; treatment shouldn't cause one to let down one's guard. We spend a lot of time "in the bush" so to speak, bird watching so we are used to suiting up appropriately. Pants sprayed, muck boots up to top of calf (even/especially in summer!). Long sleeve shirts and hats (no matter how hot).

Clothing goes in a hot dryer for 30 minutes then into the wash and dried again when we come in. Showers immediately.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Clothing goes in a hot dryer for 30 minutes then into the wash and dried again when we come in.....
You caught the same research study I did. About hot water wash, even to 150 degrees, did not kill deer ticks, but the dryer did.
Only, I recall the study determined 60 minutes, not 30, was the charm.
:?:

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 am

I'm not sure I can make effective tick tubes. I acquired some concentrated permethrin, but it had a petrochemical odor that might repel mice. I also acquired tick tubes. They were odorless.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 am

rerod wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 am
Hello people.

I just bought a property out in the country I plan on retiring on in 10 years. My GF is currently renting it from me and we have noticed allot of ticks since she moved in probably because there are allot of field mice and deer in the area.
Just to be clear, are you noticing them inside or just outside? I assume that the property borders woodland.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am

When we lived in heavy tick areas we always sprayed the yard with whatever products are sold at Lowes/Home depot. Same for my parents which live back in the woods and have significant tick problem. With regular spraying there were no issues.

Beach

Post by Beach » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:37 am

https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com

https://www.domyown.com/

Both of these sell everything the pro's have. You can get Bifen for tick control.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

Soak your clothes in permethrin. Google to research what concentration.

brandy

Post by brandy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Consider using food grade diatomaceous earth
avoid inhaling DE, it is a lung irritant. DO NOT USE POOL GRADE DE.
Buy it in bulk from a feed store (farm store) (not a pet store) I got a 50 pound bag years ago for about $22, compared to an 8 0z bag from a pet store for about $15. The feed store even opened the 50 pound bag and poured 1/2 into another bag, as I could not handle the big one.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5 ... -your-dog/
1. Flea and Tick Control
On the microscopic level, diatomaceous earth resembles bits of broken glass. ... glass-like fragments kill insects like fleas, ticks,... by piercing their protective structures, ...

2. Garden Pest Control
Because DE repels and kills everything from ants, caterpillars, army worms, cockroaches, snails, spiders and termites to silverfish, earwigs, bed bugs, fruit flies and beetles (remember: it’ll keep the ticks away too!), diatomaceous earth is great for the garden – especially if you have pets roaming around there and don’t want to use chemical pesticides. Simply sprinkle in the area, or mix with water and spray on trees (according to Wolf Creek Ranch website, about a cup to a 1/2 gallon of water should do the trick). Make sure to apply repeatedly.

Here's another link with slightly different info:
https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/blogs ... eous-earth

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:59 pm

A retirement home in tick country. Not good. A retirement would be in jeapordy due to health concerns should you get Lyme disease. Might not even know when you get Lyme. It is insidious and obscure in its symptoms. Sometimes serious, sometimes not. You never know. Heck, you may never know you even have it. The health concerns of Lyme would impact your retirement budget and your quality of life.
This is easy for me to say not living in Lyme country. I know people do live in such conditions, and all the advice given here so far is good and pertinent. Trouble with Lyme is that it will likely be an ongoing concern for you all the time you live at this house.
I would seriously consider another course of action.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 pm

About a month ago I purchased a long sleeve shirt from REI that has permethrin in it. I have taken one long hike through the woods and for long periods our legs were brushing against bush leaves and grasses. My DW (who wasn't wearing any treated clothing just Deet spray) had two ticks on her. Nothing on me.

Also, on my twice a week walks of about three hours each, I have not yet been mosquito bitten! Usually I come home with a dozen or so bites. The mosquito repellant feature is actually why I purchased the shirt.

The label says the it is good for seventy washings.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch