Surge protector for new refrigerator?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
goshenBogle

Surge protector for new refrigerator?

Post by goshenBogle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:04 pm

We will be purchasing a new refrigerator. Is a surge protector recommended?
Retired and loving it!!!!

rich126

Re: Surge protector for new refrigerator?

Post by rich126 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm not sure I would do that. A refrigerator is not that sensitive to power surges (unlike tvs, computers). Depending on your overall power situation, sometimes getting a whole house surge protector can be useful.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Per the electrician who installed our electrical panel, large appliances can be protected by a surge protector that is installed on the electrical panel if you have a panel supporting it. When there is a power failure, the surge when power is restored can take out the motherboard of a refrigerator. The surge protector on a panel will fail instead and need replacing, which would be much cheaper, but you still will have the issue of perishable food in a non-working refrigerator either way.
Index fund investor since 1987.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 pm

jalbert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm
Per the electrician who installed our electrical panel, large appliances can be protected by a surge protector that is installed on the electrical panel if you have a panel supporting it. When there is a power failure, the surge when power is restored can take out the motherboard of a refrigerator. The surge protector on a panel will fail instead and need replacing, which would be much cheaper, but you still will have the issue of perishable food in a non-working refrigerator either way.
I'm happy that neither of our 2 refrigerators have a motherboard.

I had always thought that a surge could damage a compressor during restart, weather in your refrigerator or AC unit.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Yes, it is good protection.

Appliance surge

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm
I'm not sure I would do that. A refrigerator is not that sensitive to power surges (unlike tvs, computers).
It's not as sensitive, but can still be damaged by a surge. https://www.bankrate.com/finance/smart- ... eeded.aspx
Depending on your overall power situation, sometimes getting a whole house surge protector can be useful.
Yep, it's excellent protection and is relatively inexpensive. For the most sensitive electronics, you'll still want to have a second layer of protection in the form of point of use surge protectors. There are several reasons for this. For instance, whole house surge protectors frequently have 600V in let through voltage, which can damage sensitive electronics. Keep in mind that with even the best UL rated surge protectors, both the whole house ones and the point of use, are allowed up to 10% variability, so a 600V clamping voltage can mean that up to 660V are let through. You can get some of the better, but still inexpensive, point of use UL compliant surge protectors with lower clamping voltages. The fact that a whole house surge protector is installed ahead of them will cause the point of use surge protectors to intervene less frequently and only for lower spikes, which will cause them to last much longer.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 pm
I had always thought that a surge could damage a compressor during restart, weather in your refrigerator or AC unit.
I don't know if a surge can damage a compressor, but do know that if power is interrupted and then turned back on rapidly while a compressor is running, it can be damaged. After stopping, they require a certain amount of time before they can restart. This is the reason that some a/c systems have overload switches that, once they're off, won't allow them to restart for 2-5 minutes. The switches may not act fast enough though to prevent damage.

A surge protector won't help with any of this though.

cestan

Post by cestan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Just had both motherboards on my frig go out. Repair man said it was a surge. We have whole house surge protectors installed but still got through. 600 dollars to replace. I have installed appliance shield surge protector on frig now. 25 bucks from Amazon. Seems cheap. If it goes off there is a time delay before it allows current through to protect compressor. Will it work. Who knows. Did a surge take out the motherboard who knows. Seems like cheap insurance. Interesting that pump on retention pond fountain went out at same time.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 am

My current house has power problems all the time. You think living in a very desirable, high income (well by averages in the US, not by this board) area, power would be more reliable but they refuse to bury the power lines. With tons of old trees around, my power goes out at least 6 times a year and I've had outages for 3-5 days a couple of times over the last 6 years. During all that I've never had anything damaged. Power going out usually isn't a big issue but when it flickers on/off a few times, that is a bigger problem but even that hasn't caused my tvs, computers, etc. any issues.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 am

rich126 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 am
My current house has power problems all the time. You think living in a very desirable, high income (well by averages in the US, not by this board) area, power would be more reliable
Yup, I work in one of the more affluent suburbs of Chicago and the power there is awful. Wound up spending over a quarter of a million dollars on a generator a few years ago, which has about 700 hours on it now. Most of that is the weekly test, or us firing it up preventatively when we've seen brownouts, but it has kicked in automatically a half-dozen times or so.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am

I've got one of these on my refrigerator, A/C and washing machine. Who knows if they'll work if they ever need to?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006BBAB/

I also have a whole house surge protector that I installed myself.
https://www.amazon.com/CHSPT2ULTRA-Ulti ... 01AQAKRSS/