Tipping at non sit down places

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bob60014

Re: Tipping at non sit down places

Post by bob60014 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 pm

strafe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Is there any assurance that credit card tips at counter service restaurants actually go to employees?
ABSOLUTELY NONE!!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:56 pm
We should tip more whether we eat in, take out, or get deliveries. A few extra dollars don't mean much to bogleheads but mean a heck of a lot to the workers. The time to save is when you negotiate big ticket items, the interest rates on your car or home loans, invest in lower-fee funds, negotiate transfer bonuses or salary increases..

TravelforFun
Why? I think it is terrible to not tip someone that earned it. However, I don't find it heroic to tip someone that didn't. We don't really know their situation. I'd rather give the money to charity.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:36 pm
How do you tip at places with no servers?
$1-$2 or more depending on what it is, how much total is. The tip money goes to the individuals working there who likely make anywhere from mininum wage to easily <$15/hr. Those $1-2 will go a longer ways in their pocket than in my pocket at this stage in life. My wife and I were in their shoes early on in life and we want to pay it forward.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm

No wonder I'm poor!! <bangheademoji>

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:33 pm
Another Bogleheads tip thread. I'm not sure why we can't resist these.

If I've got to stand in line to get the food, carry it to my table, and bus my own table, what would I be tipping for? You want a tip? Do at least one of those things for me.
They smiled at you or said “have a nice day”. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 pm

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 pm
Grasshopper wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 pm
I always tip in cash, the server can chose if the tip is reported.
Looks like you've waited a table or two, grasshopper. I do likewise for the same reason, but there's a flipside that others here might not know.

Under some state tax laws, the server is PRESUMED by the taxing authorities to have received X% in tips on the total of all food and beverage tied to his/her employee id. The restaurant is required to report this to the state. I once lived in a state where every server was taxed based on a "presumed" earned tips of 9.5% of food/bev served during the taxable period, no matter what they reported at the end of the shift. Two points to anyone reading this:

1. Take the time to learn and understand the comp. practices of the "non sit down" places you frequent.
2. Take the time to learn and understand the tax laws of your state and how they apply to waitstaff in sit-down restaurants. If you're in a sit-down restaurant and leave zero tip (i.e. to use the vernacular in the biz, you "stiffed" the server), it just might be the case that you just made a server making minimum wage or less pay for your decision to dine there. Hopefully, other more magnanimous patrons make up for your stinginess in such states.

BTW, when I was in that state, if I was really upset with the service from the SERVER (not the kitchen/bartender/etc.), I simply left 9.5% TO THE PENNY. I knew that any server in that state would know the message I was sending: "I've waited tables myself and you stunk. But I'm NOT going to make YOU pay for the fact that I chose to dine here."
For whatever type of person/role - who are "assumed" to have received $X in tips, I wonder how that compares with actual amounts received?

skylar

Post by skylar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:01 pm

I'll tip 20% - I feel fortunate to have the money to go to a place and have someone else deal with preparing the food. We eat out so rarely (sit-down or not) so this <$100/year, and I just don't worry about it.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:12 pm

I’m going to walk around with a tip jar going forward. I hope to meet some of you out in the wild.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:19 pm

strafe wrote:
Is there any assurance that credit card tips at counter service restaurants actually go to employees?
  • On occasions where I've asked, the server has always said that they get them.
  • But I generally tip in cash.
  • This article says cash is preferred because payment by credit card is delayed, and the credit card processing fee might be deducted.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:30 pm

1) If there's a tip jar, I tip.
2) When there's a "no tipping" sign, I don't tip.
3) If there's neither a tip jar nor a "no tipping" sign, I call it as I see it.

Re cash versus credit card:
1) When I've asked servers if they get tips paid by credit card, they've always said "Yes, I do, but thanks for asking."
2) I usually tip in cash, anyway.
3) This article assets that tipping in cash is preferred because a) there is a delay in collecting tips paid by credit card, and b) there may be a processing fee deducted.
jerryk68 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 pm
Those that do tip what if your car mechanic put a jar out would you also tip? How about the supermarket cashier or the pharmacist? Or maybe your doctor?
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hate tipping but I'm reasonably certain the people I tip don't get paid much, and if I can afford to eat out--even at a place without table service--I can afford to tip.

Properly speaking the way to make the decision would be to check the minimum-wage law in the state. If there's a lower minimum wage for workers who receive tips, then I would feel a moral obligation to tip. So the question is what category workers in non-table-service restaurants are in.

I don't lose a minute of sleep over the possibility that I've tipped someone who wasn't entitled to it, though.

I've always hated tipping and I hate it worse now that I understand the ugly origins of the practice, but stiffing waitstaff is not a likely way to change the custom.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

student

Post by student » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:34 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:30 pm
Properly speaking the way to make the decision would be to check the minimum-wage law in the state. If there's a lower minimum wage for workers who receive tips, then I would feel a moral obligation to tip. So the question is what category workers in non-table-service restaurants are in.
This is a good place to check the law. https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 pm

When I pay a bill by card, I always put the tip on the card - not cash.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:19 pm
[*]But I generally tip in cash.
[*]This article says cash is preferred because payment by credit card is delayed, and the credit card processing fee might be deducted.
[/list]
Contrary to what that article says, I think the real reason servers prefer cash is it provides them an opportunity to cheat on their income taxes. The 1.5-2.5% credit card transaction fee can't be that significant, and may not be passed on to the waiters in all or even most restaurants.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:04 pm

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 pm
I knew that any server in that state would know the message I was sending: "I've waited tables myself and you stunk. But I'm NOT going to make YOU pay for the fact that I chose to dine here."
Then shouldn't you have tipped 12% of 9.5%?

I personally tip at frequented local restaurants on takeout services in my feeble attempt at building some sort of rapport with my "neighbors". I pretty much would hand any service provider a dollar if they put their hand out for one after delivering a service. I am a pushover I guess. Would never give a dollar to a beggar though so go figure.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 pm
strafe wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NONE!!
In many restaurants regardless of whether the tips are credit card or cash, the wait staff are expected to share some of their tips with other service employees. There have even been investigations showing that managers/employers were skimming credit card tips and strong-arming cash tips.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 pm
bob60014 wrote:
strafe wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NONE!!
In many restaurants regardless of whether the tips are credit card or cash, the wait staff are expected to share some of their tips with other service employees. There have even been investigations showing that managers/employers were skimming credit card tips and strong-arming cash tips.
They almost always share with bus boys as they directly help them. The also usually "tip" the bartender as they typically make their drinks if the place serves alcohol. Some restaurants have tried to include other employees (managers, cooks,etc.) some of which don't provide direct service. I know some municipalities have outlawed that. I'm not sure how prevalent it is. It is hard to make a judgement without knowing all the facts. For example, a server that gets paid $10/hr and gets 70% of their tips may be better off than a server that make $3 an hour and gets 100% of their tips. From a customer perspective, I obviously want to know where my tips are going. For reference, I have a couple close family members that work almost exclusively for tips.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:12 pm
I’m going to walk around with a tip jar going forward. I hope to meet some of you out in the wild.
Ha ha, best post I've seen in any of these threads. Thank heavens I can't even remember the last time I utilized a paid service of any kind (eating out, having a serviceman work on my home, etc.). Just so much less to worry about if I just do it myself. If I walked around handing out money to everybody who needs it more than I do, which seems to be the most common rationalization in these threads, I'd be knocking on my neighbors doors and handing out money to employees at my work all freaking day. I should not feel guilty because I work hard and do a much better job of living below my means so I don't have the same financial stresses they do.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 pm

I tip the teens at the local ice cream shop a dollar or so per cone because I support the idea of kids learning about work.

I tip the takeout place we frequent the most because they are alway nice to my family.

Andy.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I tip a buck at counter service restaurants when the cashier is friendly and helpful. I worked at a sandwich shop in college and the extra $5-10 each we would get at the end of shifts from tips was helpful with paying for my groceries for the week as I usually worked 4 shifts per week (or if it was a good week, a few drinks at the bar!), so I recall how helpful those few extra bucks are.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm

bob60014 wrote:
strafe wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NONE!!
Not much in life is assured, but is there any evidence that employers often take tip money instead of sharing it with employees? If so, a citation would be helpful because that might change my behavior.

Andy.

yousha

Post by yousha » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I only tip(in cash) when the service is above average.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 pm
Did anything come up in your google search of the issue?
Google Scholar or an academic library would be better — I imagine there is academic research on this topic, and peer-reviewed research results would be more useful than the speculaton and biased opinion that are likely to dominate a rnon-specialized web search.

I’ve not searched for any relevant scholarship: I don’t know of those posting about this have read any, which is why I asked.

Andy.

AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katie

Post by Katie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 pm

I generally tip a dollar or two, particularly if it's a place I go to often and the staff is friendly.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 am

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm
I agree that you're right that there likely is academic and/or peer-reviewed research on the topic. Not to hijack, Andy, but your post said that "a citation would be helpful because that might change my behavior." If you've not done the research you suggest on Google Scholar or an academic library or whatever sources you feel are reliable, then you're not helping OP, and you're not helping yourself. Just sayin'....
Time is precious, and I’m not going to search for that literature. However, If any well-informed BH had already done so, it would be worth knowing what he or she discovered.

Your replies seem to suggest that it is unreasonable to ask for evidence regarding a tolic that one has not personally studied. However, that standard is too high and would obviate the value of using citations to share research results.

If those who worry that employers commonly steal employees’ tips don’t have evidence to suggest those worries are justified, that’s fine and suggests to me that the unsupported worrries don’t yet rise to the level of credibility to warrant affecting tipping behavior.

Andy.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 am

helloeveryone wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm
masonstone wrote:
$1-$2 or more depending on what it is, how much total is. The tip money goes to the individuals working there who likely make anywhere from mininum wage to easily <$15/hr. Those $1-2 will go a longer ways in their pocket than in my pocket at this stage in life. My wife and I were in their shoes early on in life and we want to pay it forward.
Do you tip at drug stores, convenience stores, supermarkets too? I worked at these and the wages were less than when I worked at Panera.

And who tips at the Self Service yogurt places with the tip jar?

And what about the town hall cashier making minimum wage as she accepts your tax payment?

yousha

Post by yousha » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am

Perhaps, this tipping business is getting out of hand! Do you believe?

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 am

yousha wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am
Perhaps, this tipping business is getting out of hand! Do you believe?
Agree

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 am

If I wait in line and then they bring the food to me I usually give a few bucks but generally not more than 10%.

Some places re-fill drinks for you so it's quasi-service.

Also depends on how I feel that day, how friendly the people were, etc...

A buck or two means nothing to me and might mean something to the person making minimum wage.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 am
helloeveryone wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm
masonstone wrote:
Do you tip at drug stores, convenience stores, supermarkets too? I worked at these and the wages were less than when I worked at Panera. Not at those places. Usually there is no tip jar so I don’t

And who tips at the Self Service yogurt places with the tip jar? I do here as well.

And what about the town hall cashier making minimum wage as she accepts your tax payment? Not at those places either. It would be weird to and thankfully there is no tip jar there

It’s just what we choose to do. I’m not saying it’s a must nor that I have an issue with folks that don’t.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm
It’s just what we choose to do. I’m not saying it’s a must nor that I have an issue with folks that don’t.
There is an inherent fairness issue.

Tipping was originally just part of compensation for tipped workers who had a minimum wage substantially less than non-tipped workers. In fact the employer is responsible for making up the difference when a tipped worker's tips + the tipped worker minimum wage is < the non-tipped minimum wage.

There are millions of non-tipped service oriented workers receiving the minimum wage. Why shouldn't they all receive tips too? As if non-tipped workers behind a counter are some special class of non-tipped workers because they make a cup of coffee or sandwich. Why shouldn't every short order cook, grocery cashier, retail worker or any number of other service category workers receive tips.

Not to mention the several states and many cities that do not have a lower tipped worker minimum wage. Heck, why don't you tip the bank teller for cashing your check.

z91

Post by z91 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Lol another tipping thread..that's three in the past couple of weeks.

carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am

TravelforFun wrote:
We should tip more whether we eat in, take out, or get deliveries. A few extra dollars don't mean much to bogleheads but mean a heck of a lot to the workers. The time to save is when you negotiate big ticket items, the interest rates on your car or home loans, invest in lower-fee funds, negotiate transfer bonuses or salary increases..

TravelforFun
Totally agree because minimum wage workers are trying to survive on wages that aren't enough to live on in this country. Those few dollars can make a large cumulative difference in their ability to pay rent and pay for groceries. I am thankful for improved circumstances but haven't forgotten what it feels like to be a poor student. Kudos to the parents who teach their children to leave a tip for wait staff-it teaches thoughtfulness and good manners.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 am

I don't either. Where I have this dilemma is part service restaurants where someone brings your food to the table but you have to order at a counter and get your own drinks. If I'm getting my own drinks, condiments, etc I'm not tipping.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 am

carruthers209 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
Totally agree because minimum wage workers are trying to survive on wages that aren't enough to live on in this country. Those few dollars can make a large cumulative difference in their ability to pay rent and pay for groceries. I am thankful for improved circumstances but haven't forgotten what it feels like to be a poor student. Kudos to the parents who teach their children to leave a tip for wait staff-it teaches thoughtfulness and good manners.
Do you tip all minimum wage workers you encounter in a business setting, such as a store cashier or park employee? Or are some minimum wage workers trying to survive more deserving of customers improving their circumstances than other minimum wage workers? I’m trying to figure where the line should be drawn.

It would seem unfair that a cashier at a supermarket ringing up your deli sandwich is unworthy of a tip, if a cashier at the sub shop next door is worthy of a tip.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 am
carruthers209 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
Do you tip all minimum wage workers you encounter in a business setting, such as a store cashier or park employee? Or are some minimum wage workers trying to survive more deserving of customers improving their circumstances than other minimum wage workers? I’m trying to figure where the line should be drawn.

It would seem unfair that a cashier at a supermarket ringing up your deli sandwich is unworthy of a tip, if a cashier at the sub shop next door is worthy of a tip.
Your question suggests that social norms are rational, but of course they are not.

Wherher one wishes to tip in places where that is allowed strikes me more as a personal preference than the outcome of a rational assessment of the social phenomenon of tipping.

Just as some choose not to follow social norms by choosing not to tip when tips are expected, some may choose to tip where that is not normally expected. However, both of these cases are quite different from cases where one chooses to follow the existing social norms about tipping.

Fair or not, some minimum wage employees are not allowed to accept tips. I share your concer with inequities in income, but suggest that getting to the heart of that injustice requires more than changes tipping behavior.

Andy.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am
Just as some choose not to follow social norms by choosing not to tip when tips are expected, some may choose to tip where that is not normally expected. However, both of these cases are quite different from cases where one chooses to follow the existing social norms about tipping.
The whole basis of this thread is whether tipping at non-full service establishments is in fact a social norm or not. Or rather whether the Boglehead community views it such or not.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

sometimes a $1 or round up, especially at a place where the person at the front counter has to do more than just throw my stuff in a bag and hand it to me. If im using a coupon/groupon I try to always tip $1.
If Im ordering out at a sit down place, I'll tip about 10%.
That said I hate those casual take out places where after I pay they flip their screen to me showing options to tip 15-20-25%. Im more likely to not tip at all then.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am
The whole basis of this thread is whether tipping at non-full service establishments is in fact a social norm or not.
I think this discussion addresses many questions, including the one you describe but also many others, for example:

Do Bogleheads choose to act in accordance or against whatever social norm exists, if there exists a well-defined norm about these situations?

Why do Bogleheads choose to act the way they do?

Are tipping norms rational?

How does tipping behavior relate to justice, if at all?

Should social norms about tipping be changed? If so, how and why?

Andy.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 pm

No way, Americans over tip as is.

spahkee

Post by spahkee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm

My experience yesterday blew me away. Ordered take out pizza from Dominos online - paid online with credit card. Get there to pick up the pizza and the counter person prints out the receipt and asks me to sign it - complete with a tip line. I've already paid online. It must be my age or something but I find myself increasingly annoyed when getting counter service or picking up food - the electronic payment pad swings around and there's a suggested tip on it ....

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 am
The people working in these type of places are getting paid a full wage, usually minimum, but still a full wage. Its up to the employer to ensure their people are compensated properly. In this case I do not tip, though there are some rare exceptions.

On the other hand those working in a "sit down" setting are usually getting a small base wage and rely on tips to live. The server usually has to put a percentage of the tip into a pool for those behind the scenes. In this case I do tip, well.
For fun, read some of the travel forums to see how confusing tipping, to who, when and why, is for overseas travellers, something they are totally unfamiliar with, when visiting here! It's very enlightening too.
FYI, minimum wage is guaranteed at ALL jobs, even ones where the base wage is expected to be supplemented with tips. If the employees don't receive enough in tips + base wage to equal minimum wage, employer is reponsible for topping off to make up the difference.

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:30 pm
1) If there's a tip jar, I tip.
2) When there's a "no tipping" sign, I don't tip.
3) If there's neither a tip jar nor a "no tipping" sign, I call it as I see it.

Re cash versus credit card:
1) When I've asked servers if they get tips paid by credit card, they've always said "Yes, I do, but thanks for asking."
2) I usually tip in cash, anyway.
3) This article assets that tipping in cash is preferred because a) there is a delay in collecting tips paid by credit card, and b) there may be a processing fee deducted.
jerryk68 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 pm
Those that do tip what if your car mechanic put a jar out would you also tip? How about the supermarket cashier or the pharmacist? Or maybe your doctor?
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hate tipping but I'm reasonably certain the people I tip don't get paid much, and if I can afford to eat out--even at a place without table service--I can afford to tip.

I don't lose a minute of sleep over the possibility that I've tipped someone who wasn't entitled to it, though.

I've always hated tipping and I hate it worse now that I understand the ugly origins of the practice, but stiffing waitstaff is not a likely way to change the custom.
No worker makes less than minimum wage in the end. If staff don't make enough in tips to at least equal minimum wage, employers are required to top them off