Going solar?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VaR

Re: Going solar?

Post by VaR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 pm
As a first step, I’m going to install a Neurio or Sense device to see what I’m using, not net. I have SolarEdge that tells me what I’m generating. Who has installed a home energy usage meter?
I've installed a Sense device. It does a great job of telling me instantaneous electricity usage and usage over time. It was also super-easy to install. I hired an electrician but I'd feel comfortable doing it myself now. Note that I also feel comfortable installing a new circuit breaker in my electrical box.

So far it's only done a so-so job in identifying individual devices. It does a great job on resistive heating and mechanical devices, but hasn't done a great job on things like LED lights, my TV, and electronics. That said, it did tell me when I left my towel warmer on all day. Oh, and it finally identified my air conditioner and my refrigerator compressor (it had previously only identified the defroster). I've read that part of my problem is that I have a plasma TV, which makes detection almost impossible while it is on because of all the transients it generates.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm
chazas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am
What technical problems did you face? Since there are zero moving parts in an electrical system, I have a had time understanding why there would be any issues after the initial burn-in period.

As a comparison, I spent $18k before 30% tax credit and save about $200-$300 per month.
How did this make mathematical sense?
How does it not ???

Let's see. $18K before 30% tax credit is $12,600 .
$200 per month (low end estimate) is $2400 per year.
So, the time to recoup the investment is 5.25 years, ie. 5 years and 3 months. That is a fairly short period of time.
And after that, the ROI is 2400/12600 ie. 19% . This is an after-tax return, also, since you would normally pay your electric bill with after-tax money.
This is not a guaranteed return. However, electricity prices tend to go up, not down. In some locales, there are regulations that make net metering less advantageous. Or simply rate changes that are less favorable to solar, like going from 5 tiers to 2 in California.

Last year, my solar system saved me $5,608.89 . This is the difference between my $1,177.77 actual bill, and the $6,950.93 bill I would have had without solar. The hypothetical bill without solar is calculated with a complex spreadsheet. If the bill sounds high, to put it in perspective, it includes enough electricity to drive about 28,000 electric miles between our two plug-in cars (one 100% EV, one plug-in hybrid). The rest is for the mansion with a hot tub, two air conditioner units, and lots more things. Everything is very efficient, but there is just a lot going on, and California electricity rates are quite high. Average would be about 27 36 cents/kWh without solar. This is based on 5556 kWh pulled from the grid, and 13,923 kWh produced by the solar system. The bill for 19,479 kWh on PG&E schedule E-1 in territory X would be $6,950.93 .

My solar system is fully amortized as of this January, meaning it has already paid back for the cost after tax credits, which was $32,239.80 .

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Going forward, I just might go off grid. We have a ~30kW system, and for the first 2 (winter/spring) months, had a credit. Then, last month, they charged us for 1500+ kWH! What (pun intended)!?!?! I did find a split AC in the garage that was running 24/7 (thanks, son) and had quite a block of ice covering the vent. Also, we had opened the pool, etc., but I find it hard to believe. Which leads me to the fact that the utility has ZERO interest in figuring out whether they made a mistake, whether their net meter is accurate, whether we actually consumed the staggering total, etc.

As a first step, I’m going to install a Neurio or Sense device to see what I’m using, not net. I have SolarEdge that tells me what I’m generating. Who has installed a home energy usage meter?
I know nothing about the products you mention but enjoy my Efergy Elite. I recall $150, ties into main panel box, easy to read each items use within 15 seconds. Eye opening usage patterns observed. We got rid of electric stove and dryer because of it. I installed myself, others might want to hire it out. Online platform allows remote monitoring. The downside is it does not capture the use from subpanels pulled off outside (before our inside main panel).
4nursebee

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 am

madbrain wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 am
unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:
What technical problems did you face? Since there are zero moving parts in an electrical system, I have a had time understanding why there would be any issues after the initial burn-in period.

As a comparison, I spent $18k before 30% tax credit and save about $200-$300 per month.
How does it not ???

Let's see. $18K before 30% tax credit is $12,600 .
$200 per month (low end estimate) is $2400 per year.
So, the time to recoup the investment is 5.25 years, ie. 5 years and 3 months. That is a fairly short period of time.
And after that, the ROI is 2400/12600 ie. 19% . This is an after-tax return, also, since you would normally pay your electric bill with after-tax money.
This is not a guaranteed return. However, electricity prices tend to go up, not down. In some locales, there are regulations that make net metering less advantageous. Or simply rate changes that are less favorable to solar, like going from 5 tiers to 2 in California.

Last year, my solar system saved me $5,608.89 . This is the difference between my $1,177.77 actual bill, and the $6,950.93 bill I would have had without solar. The hypothetical bill without solar is calculated with a complex spreadsheet. If the bill sounds high, to put it in perspective, it includes enough electricity to drive about 28,000 electric miles between our two plug-in cars (one 100% EV, one plug-in hybrid). The rest is for the mansion with a hot tub, two air conditioner units, and lots more things. Everything is very efficient, but there is just a lot going on, and California electricity rates are quite high. Average would be about 27 36 cents/kWh without solar. This is based on 5556 kWh pulled from the grid, and 13,923 kWh produced by the solar system. The bill for 19,479 kWh on PG&E schedule E-1 in territory X would be $6,950.93 .

My solar system is fully amortized as of this January, meaning it has already paid back for the cost after tax credits, which was $32,239.80 .
I get way you're saying. But, I was asking Chazas how it made mathematical sense to spend $100k on solar to save less than $100/month.

Also, you've messed up the quotes. :mrgreen:

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 am

unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:
We spent a lot on everything, particularly green technologies. At the time no one could give us any real estimate of what we would save, we knew it wasn’t that economical but were interested in being a guinea pig for upscale use of green technologies, which were uncommon in our area at that time. We used the largest solar installer in the mid-Atlantic, since defunct, which had never installed a system of the max size for grid tie-in and had never done an installation in a new house, much less a custom house where we were trying to get everything to look good.

The inverters were made by Outback. They did have moving parts, cooling fans. But IIRC there were other parts that died, and sometimes it was just visit after visit after visit trying to get things to work together properly.

And after the original installer went out of business it took us a while to find someone who would service the system.
unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm
chazas wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:44 pm
We installed a 10Kw system on a house we built in 2006-7. No state incentives, it cost $100K at the time. And it saved me maybe $70/month in electicity. I don't think we got a premium for the house when we sold it due to the solar. It was alway kludgy, sometimes under repair for weeks at a time. I know prices have come down but friends with more recent installations all report technical problems. I wouldn't do it.
Why would you spend $100k to save $70/month?

I am wondering if OP meant $10k cost? Then saving $840 pa makes sense. Payback in something like 12.5 years?

From memory, though, 10kw system then would have cost more like $30k?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

4nursebee wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Going forward, I just might go off grid. We have a ~30kW system, and for the first 2 (winter/spring) months, had a credit. Then, last month, they charged us for 1500+ kWH! What (pun intended)!?!?! I did find a split AC in the garage that was running 24/7 (thanks, son) and had quite a block of ice covering the vent. Also, we had opened the pool, etc., but I find it hard to believe. Which leads me to the fact that the utility has ZERO interest in figuring out whether they made a mistake, whether their net meter is accurate, whether we actually consumed the staggering total, etc.

I know nothing about the products you mention but enjoy my Efergy Elite. I recall $150, ties into main panel box, easy to read each items use within 15 seconds. Eye opening usage patterns observed. We got rid of electric stove and dryer because of it. I installed myself, others might want to hire it out. Online platform allows remote monitoring. The downside is it does not capture the use from subpanels pulled off outside (before our inside main panel).
Update: Sense sensors don't wrap around our yuuuge cables. I will call them to see if there's a workaround. My electrician said that we have to monitor near the current transformers, and those cables are very large (for our 400A service).

And, upon talking to some neighbors and the electrician, we might well have used that much power during the heat wave. I have never had well pumps, pool pumps, pond pumps, hot tub pumps, septic pumps, as large a house to cool, etc., so perhaps we really did go negative during the summer... and that's not counting my Tesla charging.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 am
unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:
We spent a lot on everything, particularly green technologies. At the time no one could give us any real estimate of what we would save, we knew it wasn’t that economical but were interested in being a guinea pig for upscale use of green technologies, which were uncommon in our area at that time. We used the largest solar installer in the mid-Atlantic, since defunct, which had never installed a system of the max size for grid tie-in and had never done an installation in a new house, much less a custom house where we were trying to get everything to look good.

The inverters were made by Outback. They did have moving parts, cooling fans. But IIRC there were other parts that died, and sometimes it was just visit after visit after visit trying to get things to work together properly.

And after the original installer went out of business it took us a while to find someone who would service the system.
unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:
We installed a 10Kw system on a house we built in 2006-7. No state incentives, it cost $100K at the time. And it saved me maybe $70/month in electicity. I don't think we got a premium for the house when we sold it due to the solar. It was alway kludgy, sometimes under repair for weeks at a time. I know prices have come down but friends with more recent installations all report technical problems. I wouldn't do it.

I am wondering if OP meant $10k cost? Then saving $840 pa makes sense. Payback in something like 12.5 years?

Much more likely than $100k!

chazas

Post by chazas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am
Valuethinker wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:

unclescrooge wrote:

Nope. $100K. That was the cost in 2006-7 without any incentives.

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Wow that is ALOT.

Hopefully it goes down even more in the next decade

NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I live in NM and I had a new house built in 2013 that is a "green" energy efficient house that was designed to have solar. It has an electric heat pump for heating. The only non-electric energy used in the house is the propane hot water heater.

I am not sure how much the solar cost (maybe around $30K?), but it was all designed in and specced by the builder, as opposed to being added on later. At the time I did get some Fed and State tax rebates for the system, so my out of pocket was significantly less.

After ~4.5 years, my electric bills are running (negative) -$30-$50 per month (i.e. I get a check each month for $30-$50 depending on the season). I can't compare to what the cost would be without the solar, but the previous house I owned (located about a mile away) had radiant heat with a propane boiler and OMG I spent as much as $800 per month heating it (very sparingly, with most zones set at like 55degrees :( -- I feel there were some design flaws that made radiant heat a bad choice in that house) in the winter sometimes. Compared to that, I am totally ecstatic!

Having the heat be electric (but also designed to be energy efficient) is a big deal to making solar worthwhile, in my opinion. I had investigated adding solar to my old house and it really didn't seem worthwhile (and/or would have been much more complicated, requiring passive water-heating solar in addition to the solar electric, to get much impact). I recall a coworker doing a talk at work about his solar electric system. He was contemplating buying individual electric heaters to put throughout the house just to take better advantage of the solar.

So, it just depends. But I am very much a fan of doing it for a properly designed house!

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

barberakb wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:05 pm
I was looking at going solar on my house. I can afford paying my current electricity bill no problem. Ranges from $100-150 a month.

But there are currently 30% federal and 10% state rebates (NM). After rebates it will cost about $20,000.

Plus I guess you can sell back extra power if you don't use all that you produce.

I'm not sure if it is worth it in the long run though.

Just looking for advice or comments from people who have gone solar and if they regret it or not. Or companies to avoid etc...

Thanks!
Can you lease them? We lease ours for about $80 a month. Produces more electricity than we can use. I could have bought them up front but I'd rather invest that money. Since our lease is 20 years, I should be able to make more than I would have saved with a one time, upfront payment.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 pm

chazas wrote:

unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:

Very sorry for your misfortune. I was also an early adopter who paid big bucks, but not as nearly as you have. And my system has worked perfectly for a decade now. 100k! Holy crap! I live in a very hot summer area of the country, when the AC power rises up to $400 a month. I spent $33,000 for a 4.35KW system and 24 panels and that was enough to have it almost paid back in full with another 15 years on the warranty. It also gives me enough power to charge my two 100% electric cars. I have no home and automobile power bill. In fact, last two years, I got a refund check for $175.00.
PS, no moving parts.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 am

barberakb wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Wow that is ALOT.

Hopefully it goes down even more in the next decade
A good chunk of the costs are now labor costs. It is not clear how much lower those can go. Likely will move in the opposite direction, even if parts become cheaper. But right now, with the tariffs imposed on foreign solar panels, parts are not getting cheaper either.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 am

NancyABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm
I live in NM and I had a new house built in 2013 that is a "green" energy efficient house that was designed to have solar. It has an electric heat pump for heating. The only non-electric energy used in the house is the propane hot water heater.

I am not sure how much the solar cost (maybe around $30K?), but it was all designed in and specced by the builder, as opposed to being added on later. At the time I did get some Fed and State tax rebates for the system, so my out of pocket was significantly less.

After ~4.5 years, my electric bills are running (negative) -$30-$50 per month (i.e. I get a check each month for $30-$50 depending on the season). I can't compare to what the cost would be without the solar, but the previous house I owned (located about a mile away) had radiant heat with a propane boiler and OMG I spent as much as $800 per month heating it (very sparingly, with most zones set at like 55degrees :( -- I feel there were some design flaws that made radiant heat a bad choice in that house) in the winter sometimes. Compared to that, I am totally ecstatic!

Having the heat be electric (but also designed to be energy efficient) is a big deal to making solar worthwhile, in my opinion. I had investigated adding solar to my old house and it really didn't seem worthwhile (and/or would have been much more complicated, requiring passive water-heating solar in addition to the solar electric, to get much impact). I recall a coworker doing a talk at work about his solar electric system. He was contemplating buying individual electric heaters to put throughout the house just to take better advantage of the solar.

So, it just depends. But I am very much a fan of doing it for a properly designed house!
Assume for a second you did not need Air Conditioning.

If you lived in a basically uninsulated house (Victorian) then your heating energy consumption would be 10x your electricity consumption.

1 kw of solar capacity in New Mexico probably gives you something like 1500 kwhr pa. Your base (pre AC) electricity consumption is probably around 4k kwhr pa (US avg is something like 15k, but that includes AC and for many in the South, Heat Pump for heating as well).

So say a 5 kw array - gives you 7500 kwhr pa. And of course all at the wrong time - your electricity consumption will peak at night?

What's making this work for you is the insulation and air tightness. That could easily bring your heating consumption down to only 1-2x your other electricity demand (all electric items in your house produce waste heat, which is nice from a heating point of view-- again if you are well insulated).

Your colleague probably does not have a good handle on his consumption. Electric baseboard is an awful way to use solar electricity -- and on cold winter nights he will wind up using a lot of power from the grid. He should get a Heat Pump if he feels the need.

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am

fortfun wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm
barberakb wrote:
I was looking at going solar on my house. I can afford paying my current electricity bill no problem. Ranges from $100-150 a month.

But there are currently 30% federal and 10% state rebates (NM). After rebates it will cost about $20,000.

Plus I guess you can sell back extra power if you don't use all that you produce.

Just looking for advice or comments from people who have gone solar and if they regret it or not. Or companies to avoid etc...

Thanks!
Can you lease them? We lease ours for about $80 a month. Produces more electricity than we can use. I could have bought them up front but I'd rather invest that money. Since our lease is 20 years, I should be able to make more than I would have saved with a one time, upfront payment.
No, I asked and they don't do leases. Maybe I will try another company

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am

barberakb wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm
Lets see if this works.

Here is my quote.
You got a quote for $26,800 (before tax credit) for a 4.8 kW system. That comes out to $5.58/ watt. That is extremely expensive. Get some competing quotes (check out energysage.com). For me, in the SF Bay Area, most of my quotes came in under $3.10/W before tax credits.
Also, please remove this link, it has your home address!

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am

chazas wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am
Valuethinker wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
chazas wrote:

Nope. $100K. That was the cost in 2006-7 without any incentives.
What was the point? You're bills were so low to begin with. Just wanted to be green?

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am
barberakb wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm
Lets see if this works.

Here is my quote.
You got a quote for $26,800 (before tax credit) for a 4.8 kW system. That comes out to $5.58/ watt. That is extremely expensive. Get some competing quotes (check out energysage.com). For me, in the SF Bay Area, most of my quotes came in under $3.10/W before tax credits.
Also, please remove this link, it has your home address!
Thanks, removed link

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am
What was the point? You're bills were so low to begin with. Just wanted to be green?
I, for one, have thanks for the early adopters. Good on ya, mate.

chazas

Post by chazas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Thanks.

We were building a new house with lots of (at the time) cutting edge green features. No one could tell us what our bills might be or what return we might get on any of them. We just winged it.

We had to sell the house after an ill-advised job transfer in 2014 (moved back to the original location a couple of years later, wish we still had that house). We broke even, it would be worth a lot more today.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 pm

barberakb wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am
fortfun wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm
barberakb wrote:

Thanks!
Ours is through Sun Run. They have been pretty easy to work with. Just make sure your homeowner's insurance will cover their removal incase of roof damage, etc.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:02 pm

chazas wrote:
:oops:

VaR

Post by VaR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

barberakb wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am
Conventional wisdom says that owning your panels is better than leasing, financially speaking.
https://www.energysage.com/solar/financ ... el-system/
energysage wrote:[With a solar loan/cash purchase] You can save between 40 percent and 70 percent on electricity costs over the lifetime of your solar panel system
energysage wrote:[With a solar lease/PPA] You can save between 10 percent and 30 percent off the prices you pay your utility for electricity
Owning your panels can also be better than leasing when it comes time to sell your home.
https://news.energysage.com/selling-a-h ... e-or-loan/

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

chazas wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Thanks.

We were building a new house with lots of (at the time) cutting edge green features. No one could tell us what our bills might be or what return we might get on any of them. We just winged it.

We had to sell the house after an ill-advised job transfer in 2014 (moved back to the original location a couple of years later, wish we still had that house). We broke even, it would be worth a lot more today.
Bummer. At least you broke even!