Financial adviser in Portland metro area

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
datageek

Financial adviser in Portland metro area

Post by datageek » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 pm

A friend is looking for a financial adviser in the Portland area to advise his family on investments. Preferably fee-only. Anyone has personal experience with someone that they'd like to share?

bsteiner

Re: Financial adviser in Portland metro area

Post by bsteiner » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Maine or Oregon?

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 am

If Portland Oregon, I'd be interested to hear as well. Last year my wife and I interviewed three different potential advisors and weren't particularly impressed. One firm in particular surprised me -- they wouldn't disclose their pricing structure unless we went through an intake process involving full disclosure of all of our finances. All of these firms were fiduciaries, incidentally, and were via referral from people we work with.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 am

We met with someone from Garrett Network in PDX for a financial plan and it was unuseable because of numerous errors. I'm not sure she is in business any longer.

I met with an account representative at Fidelity (downtown PDX) to have funds transferred from Vanguard recently and had a horrible experience- hardcore sales pitch, lack of basic product knowledge, sloppy errors in the transfer paper work that caused delays. I am going to ask them to not assign me to any account (sales) rep. I'm really tempted to move to Schwab now.

Sorry, I don't know where to refer people either.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 am

There aren't any good planners around here as far as i can tell. I looked a few years ago for advise for my parents, it was all worthless, all wanted to be AUM, and the one person who would provide a sample plan just recommended the same 20 or 30 high cost funds that every new EJ-ish advisor does.

A friend works for fisher investments. He recent asked me about my investment planning, I briefly explained without adding too many details, and then he started asking about insurance and my need for guaranteed growth fixed income. Yeah, conversation over.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am

We used Shawn Koch in sellwood a few years ago. she is in the Garrett network. Fee only. Will be going back probably next year.

Edit: Looks like Shawn is closed to new clients. Sorry about that

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am

I just found this person online and will call for an interview type of meeting. He is both a CPA and a CFP and will write up a plan for $250 per hour. http://pdxadvisors.com/services/financial-planning

I need tax advice, but I also need someone who knows about Roth conversions, RMDs, ACA surtax, Medicare look back, etc to help me determine how to sell off stocks with a large amount of capital gains so I can move the proceeds into equity index funds. I am probably the only person who wants a stock market crash...

BrainDrain

Post by BrainDrain » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:35 am

I recommend Troy Thompson, who is a fee-only certfified financial planner, NAPFA member, and a member of the Alliance of Comprehensive Planners - a national group of planners that emphasizes comprehensive financial planning rather than just investment management. http://www.thompson-advisory.com/

He does some project work, but mostly works with clients on an ongoing basis using a flat fee retainer rather than a variable AUM fee.

Disclosure: I’m in the same industry in another area of the country and know Troy professionally. But I have absolutely no financial connection with him or his company.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 am

HJG0989 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am
I just found this person online and will call for an interview type of meeting. He is both a CPA and a CFP and will write up a plan for $250 per hour. http://pdxadvisors.com/services/financial-planning

I need tax advice, but I also need someone who knows about Roth conversions, RMDs, ACA surtax, Medicare look back, etc to help me determine how to sell off stocks with a large amount of capital gains so I can move the proceeds into equity index funds. I am probably the only person who wants a stock market crash...
Almost everyone ~10 + years away from retirement should be begging for a crash...

datageek

Post by datageek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I did mean Portland, OR.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 pm

HJG0989 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am
I need tax advice, but I also need someone who knows about Roth conversions, RMDs, ACA surtax, Medicare look back, etc to help me determine how to sell off stocks with a large amount of capital gains so I can move the proceeds into equity index funds. ...
It may be easier to solve these one at a time.

Roth conversions. There are too many variables to quantify it, but a good shortcut is to convert at much as you can at a tax rate less than, equal to, or not too much higher than the tax rate that would otherwise apply to distributions. For the next 8 years, couples filing joint returns will be in the 24% or lower bracket up to $315,000. Between retirement and when required distributions and Social Security begin is often a good window for Roth conversions. People still working who expect to be in a lower bracket upon retirement often wait until retirement.

RMDs. Everyone (except people with spouse beneficiaries more than 10 years younger) uses the same table.

ACA surtax and Medicare lookback. I doubt that anyone with a higher level client base would deal with these.

Selling appreciated stocks. Your choices are (i) sell and pay the tax, (ii) keep them for the basis step-up and retain the risk of concentrated positions, (iii) hedging transactions, (iv) exchange funds, (v) charitable remainder trusts, or (vi) some combination of two or more of the above. Note that anything triggering capital gains will compete with Roth conversions for low bracket space. A factor in the decision may be the extent to which the positions are concentrated.

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 am

Do not have any suggestions for financial advisers in Portland, though interesting to read the commentary because I am seriously considering retiring/transitioning industries to become a fee-only CFP w/in next 2 years or so, since I discovered I like thinking about planning this stuff and would probably enjoy it for others, with the flexibility to not need to feed the family with the income (and thus do it part-time ish at flat hourly rate).

I am going to also have an issue with a good chunk of highly appreciated stock (now and hopefully when i retire). Haven't quite figured out what I will do, since it is still probably two years away, but I think that "combination" of different approaches will be likely be the end result. Gifting to DAFs, CRUTs, hedging, maybe selling some OTM covered calls while I hold to generate income instead of the huge cap gains, etc.