Any kayakers here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
daheld

Any kayakers here?

Post by daheld »

Branching off recent hobby discussions regarding Boglehead weight lifters, I started wondering if there were any Boglehead kayakers around here.

I'll start: Grew up doing a decent amount of canoeing as a kid with my uncle. Once I got old enough to start taking vacations myself, I did a whitewater kayaking day clinic through Nantahala Outdoor Center that involved technique instruction on a lake followed by running some class 2-3 rapids on a river. Since then, I've bought my own boat (a 9' hybrid kayak with drop down skeg for tracking) and done a fair amount of kayaking. Mostly do class 1-2 small rivers here in Missouri, but hoping to progress.

Hoping to hear from more Boglehead kayakers!
jester14

Re: Any kayakers here?

Post by jester14 »

Not a kayaker yet, but want to be. I've had my eye on some sit on top fishing kayaks for a while. I want one that I could stand up on.

Jester
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I am a former whitewater kayaker. I'm not flexible enough anymore to do more than sea kayaking or open boating.

I learned whitewater kayaking from my parents who were into the sport and took formal classes in Wisconsin. I've paddled up to class 4 but mostly on class 1 through 3. After getting married and having kids, I pretty much stopped whitewater and turned to sea kayaking on flat waters, even building my own sea kayak out of redwood and maple woodstrips. Eventually I sold that one and haven't built or bought another one though once the kids are a bit older and strong enough to paddle their own kayaks, I do plan to build some more sea kayaks.

These days, I do more family oriented boating in canoes on various rivers around the U.S. As my profile picture suggests, I've also done some dory boating down the Grand Canyon as well.
Swarm Trap

Post by Swarm Trap »

I've been fishing from a sit on top kayak for 10 years now. I'd say that I'm a fisherman that likes kayaks, rather than a kayaker that likes fishing.

If you are interested in fishing from a yak then check out KBF. https://www.kayakbassfishing.com/
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

My wife and I have been kayaking for about 3 years now.
We really enjoy it.
We go to state park lakes.
I prefer calm water, although we may try a few streams, but NO white water stuff for sure.

Don
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

We are very casual kayakers. We are just starting to outgrow the cheap tank-like yaks from Dick's and are keeping an eye out for some better used ones on CL.
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

goodlifer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am We are very casual kayakers. We are just starting to outgrow the cheap tank-like yaks from Dick's and are keeping an eye out for some better used ones on CL.
Yeah, I bought mine used as well. As long as you inspect it well and ensure it hasn't been abused, I really think buying used is the way to go. They're gonna get scratched up anyway...
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 am I am a former whitewater kayaker. I'm not flexible enough anymore to do more than sea kayaking or open boating.

I learned whitewater kayaking from my parents who were into the sport and took formal classes in Wisconsin. I've paddled up to class 4 but mostly on class 1 through 3. After getting married and having kids, I pretty much stopped whitewater and turned to sea kayaking on flat waters, even building my own sea kayak out of redwood and maple woodstrips. Eventually I sold that one and haven't built or bought another one though once the kids are a bit older and strong enough to paddle their own kayaks, I do plan to build some more sea kayaks.

These days, I do more family oriented boating in canoes on various rivers around the U.S. As my profile picture suggests, I've also done some dory boating down the Grand Canyon as well.
Very cool! I'm not big into whitewater yet, have just done it a couple times. I may eventually get there, but I'm pretty content running small rivers and camping on sand bars.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

daheld wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am Very cool! I'm not big into whitewater yet, have just done it a couple times. I may eventually get there, but I'm pretty content running small rivers and camping on sand bars.
Not sure of your location but some of my favorite rivers that meet those criteria here in the midwest are:

The Buffalo River in NW Arkansas. Mostly easy class one and perhaps some class two during higher water levels. Lots of tent camping at access points. It is a spring fed river that carves a canyon through the old mountain range there. Spectacular scenery.

The Mulberry River a little further south but still in NW Arkansas. Not as scenic but a little bigger water with at least one rapids approaching a class three during certain water conditions. Mostly class one and two rapids but more heavily weighted towards class two.

The Wolf River in Wisconsin is a class one thru four scenic river and is where I took my kayaking school lessons. Most of the rapids are three or less in class and you can easily just do sections within your expertise range.

Also in Wisconsin, I've had much less experience on the Menomonee (I-III), Peshtigo (I-IV) and Red (I-IV) rivers. All have sections to tailor a trip to your skillset.
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am
daheld wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am Very cool! I'm not big into whitewater yet, have just done it a couple times. I may eventually get there, but I'm pretty content running small rivers and camping on sand bars.
Not sure of your location but some of my favorite rivers that meet those criteria here in the midwest are:

The Buffalo River in NW Arkansas. Mostly easy class one and perhaps some class two during higher water levels. Lots of tent camping at access points. It is a spring fed river that carves a canyon through the old mountain range there. Spectacular scenery.

The Mulberry River a little further south but still in NW Arkansas. Not as scenic but a little bigger water with at least one rapids approaching a class three during certain water conditions. Mostly class one and two rapids but more heavily weighted towards class two.

The Wolf River in Wisconsin is a class one thru four scenic river and is where I took my kayaking school lessons. Most of the rapids are three or less in class and you can easily just do sections within your expertise range.

Also in Wisconsin, I've had much less experience on the Menomonee (I-III), Peshtigo (I-IV) and Red (I-IV) rivers. All have sections to tailor a trip to your skillset.
I have heard the Buffalo is a great river. I've spent a good amount of time on the Current River here in Missouri. It's a beautiful place, and is part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverway. Highly recommend if you get the chance to float it.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Took lessons from L.L. Bean about 18 years ago and liked it. Rented kayaks on occasion until we moved to Vermont where we bought our own and paddled a lot on Lake Champlain. Have since moved to Mass. near the coast. We're a bit timid about ocean kayaking (and our kayaks don't have rudders) so we stick to lakes and ponds. Haven't been this season but hope to later in the week. It's getting a little harder than it used to be to schlep the kayaks onto the roof of the wagon and transport them.

A warning to couples who may be considering purchasing a tandem (2 person) kayak: be sure your marriage/relationship is very strong before you do so. If there's any doubt, spring for two 1-person kayaks. :wink:
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We were wasting time in the Hobie store when our broker called to tell us that our offer on a sailboat had not been accepted. Since the deposit on the sailboat was almost exactly the same as the tandem kayak we preferred, we took one home with us.

We pedal, rather than paddle. This solves the "divorce kayak" issue mentioned by friar1610, while keeping us together despite different levels of physical fitness.

They Hobie mirage drive kayaks are crazy expensive, but it has made a huge difference in use, as we can pedal all day long, but we both have issues that limit our paddle time. It is also fun to actually be able to wave at people as you pass them, or have a snack and keep moving when you are trying to get to windward. There are few other pedalling systems on the market now, as well.

We are ocean kayakers, as we live in San Diego and can take our kayak out to the Channel Islands to explore the coves.

For whitewater, I prefer rafts.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

My wife and I, 65/66 and retired, fish freshwater lakes in our individual kayaks. We live by the Pacific Ocean so have been out there quite a few times, even took kayak surfing lessons and deep water recovery classes. We used our canoe for 20 years then graduated to kayaks about 15 years ago. There's nothing like pulling in trout while sitting on the top of the water, then letting them go after you've freaked them out. We troll slowly and pull flies mostly, but will occasionally put on lure if the situation calls for it.

We use sit on tops, and like our canoe, have altered them by adding Scotty rod holders and upgraded seats. We added Kevlar strips on the bow and stern of the canoe to be able to run up on the small rocks and sand when beaching. The only thing my wife refuses to do anymore is camp with the bears, so when I want to do that I take my brother.

We're pretty independent so usually go our own way if we feel like it. We carry portable two way radios to stay in contact, or if my wife needs me to come over and untangle her line. We also enjoy seeing the osprey and bald eagles fishing while we paddle.
Filife20Forty

Post by Filife20Forty »

jester14 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 am Not a kayaker yet, but want to be. I've had my eye on some sit on top fishing kayaks for a while. I want one that I could stand up on.

Jester
Jester -

I have a Feel Free Lure 11.5 fishing kayak. Like you, I researched for some time before choosing the FF Lure 11.5. Good size, very stable and comfortable. Being able to stand up was most important factor in my decision. I bought as the chair is very comfortable, and more importantly, I can comfortably stand and fish for a full morning without issue. I carry both a regular kayak paddle and a paddleboard paddle and alternate based on my position. It is a bit heavy without all the gear, so may want to consider how you'll transport to / from fishing location. However, youtube has some videos with awesome suggestions and tips in that regard. Very happy that I bought a fishing kayak with stand on top capability; I am constantly getting asked questions about it by other folks on the water.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

bondsr4me wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am My wife and I have been kayaking for about 3 years now.
We really enjoy it.
We go to state park lakes.
I prefer calm water, although we may try a few streams, but NO white water stuff for sure.

Don
+1

Same with my wife and I.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

My wife and I have enjoyed inland lake and New England coastal kayaking for many years. We bought Current Designs kevlar kayaks some time ago, but in recent years we have done more and more bicycling, with Acadia National Park's carriage trails as our favorite place to ride. At the height of our kayaking we used to take both our bikes and our kayaks to Deer Isle and Acadia - my wife said we looked like a traveling circus with our bikes and kayaks on the car. As we turn 70 we are doing more biking and less kayaking, so any year now our kayaks may be on Craig's List.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I bought 2 10.5 kayaks two years ago and have loved them. I live in NY and have gone on the Hudson River, lakes and creeks. I have also done some on top kayaks vacationing in inclusive resorts on the beach. Riding in a wave on a kayak is awesome. I think my next level is to go in light white waters. My kid goes to a camp near the Delaware river. Seems very doable. I have never taken a class. May try it in a few weeks.

Kayaking has been an excellent way to spend some time with my kids.
Mark
amazonchic

Post by amazonchic »

My husband and I bought kayaks 11 years ago on our 1-year anniversary from a local mom & pop outdoor outfitter in Door County, WI. They sell their used gear at the end of season at a steep discount. Here is what we learned.

Try before you buy. Some popular models are VERY uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time. Others are difficult to maneuver.
It's worth it to spend more for a higher quality kayak you will enjoy being in. Ours were $600 apiece after 1 season of use (plus spray skirts, paddles, dry bags, and water pumps).
Longer kayaks are easier to control. Ours are 14' but everyone has different preferences. I found the 6' models you can get cheap at the big box stores fly around like crazy. One paddle push sent me flying left or right instead of gliding smoothly through the water.
Make sure you know what your vehicle can haul and how. Not all vehicles will be able to support the heavier kayaks on the roof.
Recreational kayaks work better for us than touring kayaks (skinnier fit and made for doing tricks, less stable).

We have 2 Wilderness Systems Pungo 140's. New they sell for about $1100 apiece.
They are so comfortable it's like sitting in a recliner on the water. We are both 6'0'' or taller and have plenty of legroom and can enter/exit with ease.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Lake/ocean kayaker here, along w DW. We work too much to do a lot of long trips, but enjoy the local reservoir and the NC Outer Banks. We particularly enjoy paddling lazily through salt marshes on the coast to watch birds, stingrays, and other wildlife. Our longest trip was kayak camping for 10 days in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (we portaged the yaks without much trouble, though we deliberately picked a route without less portaging).

We both paddle thermoformed plastic sea kayaks with skegs (Hurricane Tracer and Eddyline Fathom LV), so they are in the 15'-16.5' range and can handle waves as rough as their paddlers can stomach. Not for any but the least rocky rivers, but great for marshy inlets as they can float in 6" of water.

I second (third?) going to a demo day or several for your local outfitter to try many kayaks. It takes a while to learn what works for you and you absolutely must sit in the boat. I actually bought a demo boat at a discount (definitely the BH approved way to acquire a piece of hobby equipment that can run in excess of $2k MSRP!).
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

We have two 11 ft. Old Town Loon kayaks. I believe they are 15 years old and still going strong.
We like small lakes and streams. Fast running streams are fun!
We haul out the Maine Gazetteer and look for small lakes with boat access and away we go!
We probably average 3-5 hours on the water each time.

I agree with a previous poster, get individual kayaks, not tandem.
We bought this particular model when the kids were little, there is room in the opening for the paddler and a kid.
Now we just haul the dog, who isn't the best at staying centered!
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

I enjoy Kayaking and Canoeing. I don't get to do much of it in California. I am going on a 6 hour canoe trip in the wilderness of the Pine Barrens, New Jersey tomorrow. I recommend everyone check out rivers in this area: some of the best freshwater waters in the mid-east.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

I aspire to be a kayak fisherman but havent taken the plunge...
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

How do you all haul your kayaks? I am thinking of buying a kayak trailer, but since $2000 or more, have been thinking about it for a while. Right now, we mainly kayak at Lake next to our house, but would be fun to do some exploring.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

Lucky to live near the mighty James River and kayak frequently - haul them on top of car racks, husband made wooden rack bolted onto the yakima racks which cradle 2 kayaks easily. Spouse loves his Pungo and I have a Dagger. We keep a couple more at our cabin. Found them all used and can't imagine a more enjoyable inexpensive way to spend a few hours getting exercise, watching wildlife and relaxing. the James has tons of herons, turtles, bald eagles, canada geese, and deer. We don't whitewater but do go through up to class 2 on longer floats.

Sit on tops look great too but they are heavy. Paddleboarding - tried it and after 20 minutes, wished I was seated in my kayak.

Its a great hobby and won't break the bank - hope you enjoy!
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I kayak in the ocean here in HI and have recently added a sail to my hobie mirage. I go out to fish about half the time and go out for fun the other half. The sail is working great thus far and is pretty easy to get the hang of. Lots of kayakers around here. My dream kayak is the Hobie Island which is a true sailer but I couldn’t spend that much money.
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

My husband is/was (he doesn’t go out as much anymore) a kayak fisherman and introduced me to it some years ago. We’d go up and down the California coast to various fishing spots/kayak fishing events. Pretty fun stuff when I was younger not as fun the older I get. BUT, it’s a fairly inexpensive hobby/leisure activity that is good exercise, gets you out into nature and has the possibility of feeding you too. Win win win.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Emilyjane wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm How do you all haul your kayaks? I am thinking of buying a kayak trailer, but since $2000 or more, have been thinking about it for a while. Right now, we mainly kayak at Lake next to our house, but would be fun to do some exploring.
On top of my Hyundai hatchback, where one of the boats is actually longer than the car. We use double Yakima cradles and their boatstraps too. Make sure you learn a good boat tiedown knot, and use bow and stern ties too.

We drove the yaks from NC to Minnesota this way. Max speed was somewhat reduced, especially in crosswinds, but perfectly doable. We paddle less than weekly so I take the top bars off when we aren't transporting the boats.

This method does require two people to lift the boats into the cradles, but the small car means the lift is not very far.
Didymograptus

Post by Didymograptus »

friar1610 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 am A warning to couples who may be considering purchasing a tandem (2 person) kayak: be sure your marriage/relationship is very strong before you do so. If there's any doubt, spring for two 1-person kayaks. :wink:
Same can be said of tandem bicycles. Divorce lawyers recommend them I hear.
The best things in life aren't things
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I have two Ocean Kayak Trident fishing kayaks. Transport on top of SUV with a Thule rack with rectangular cross bars. I have the optional longer cross bars so I can transport them both laying flat upside down. Thule also makes an accessory called an outrigger that makes loading the kayak onto the rack much easier. You only have to lift one half of the kayak at a time.

There is a very good app called Go Paddle that maps most of the kayak launch sites, and has reviews and directions as well.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

When I bought my kayaks there wasn't much available in the way of discounts for new kayaks. I saved 10% plus sales tax by buying from Austin Canoe and Kayak. I had to first join Texas kayak fisherman which was free and done online. Along with the 10% discount on the kayaks I got a 15% discount on all accessories.

Everything was shipped promptly. I had them in less than a week.
Michread

Post by Michread »

We just bought 2 inflatable kayaks from Amazon.

Low cost to see if we like it. We took our maiden voyage last week on a calm lake in our town. It was smooth and fun. Not great on the lower back but I think with some adjustments it will be fine.
Early retirement 2018
1TheGame

Post by 1TheGame »

I have been paddling whitewater (Class 1-4) for 30+ years. Love it! But I have done so in canoes that have been specifically designed for whitewater. My other primary hobby is mountain biking, been doing that for 15 years. I find that these activities complement each other very well. Paddling good for upper body. Mountain biking good for lower body and aerobic fitness. Both good for maintaining reflexes and balance. Paddling good when it has been raining a lot (rivers up, trails muddy), biking good for when conditions have been dry. There are many rivers with whitewater and trail systems for mountain biking in the mid-atlantic region. I have the gear that lets me do both activities nearly year round. After I initially went PT (and subsequently retired) I have been able to do these activities at least 90 days a year (more since I retired).
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

OC-1 count ?
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Emilyjane wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm How do you all haul your kayaks? I am thinking of buying a kayak trailer, but since $2000 or more, have been thinking about it for a while. Right now, we mainly kayak at Lake next to our house, but would be fun to do some exploring.
On top of our camper shell on a GMC full sized truck, using Yakima cradles and Hully Rollers attached to the roof rack. We also haul them up there while towing our small travel trailer. When I bought the camper shell I picked one (fiberglass) that would carry 200 pounds of weight. So far so good after 18 years hauling the canoe or kayaks with no damage to the shell.

Now that I'm 66 it's getting a bit harder to get the kayaks up and down from the racks, which I do solo, so I've been contemplating the purchase of a Yakima kayak trailer, but at the cost of not being able to tow the travel trailer at the same time. The good thing about the Yakima trailer is that it can be folded and stored upright, taking up very little space. Not cheap though.

Mine is a 15' Ocean Kayak Prowler in green with no rudder, and my wife's is a 16' Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 in blue with a rudder. Our canoe is a 15' Old Town Camper in red. I changed the seats to cane with a back, and dropped them 6" with bamboo dowels to gain greater stability. The Kevlar strips that I attached with resin on the lower bow and stern below water level don't add any drag but kept scraping damage to a minimum.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I have a portable rack on top of my car. However, I can fit my 2 10.5' kayaks inside my 2007 Honda Odyssey. I recently got a new car and decided not to trade in the Honda and keep it for kayaks and bikes. It is so easy to slide the kayaks into car and I think I actually go out more often because of that. It's also nice to have the extra car when the kids come home from college. I find the rack on top of the car to be a bit of a pain. And if you don't do the straps just right, it can be very noisy.
Mark
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

I have a Future Beach Discovery 104 that I use for fishing and duck hunting. I've got a truck, so transport is easy, as I bought a hitch extender/cargo carrier for 50 bucks on Amazon that works perfectly. It is not a fancy high dollar kayak, but it seems to be durable enough, very stable for a 10 foot kayak and I got it for $199 on a Fathers Day sale + a 20% off coupon, so the price was unbeatable.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

vested1 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
On top of our camper shell on a GMC full sized truck, using Yakima cradles and Hully Rollers attached to the roof rack. We also haul them up there while towing our small travel trailer. When I bought the camper shell I picked one (fiberglass) that would carry 200 pounds of weight. So far so good after 18 years hauling the canoe or kayaks with no damage to the shell.

Now that I'm 66 it's getting a bit harder to get the kayaks up and down from the racks, which I do solo, so I've been contemplating the purchase of a Yakima kayak trailer, but at the cost of not being able to tow the travel trailer at the same time. The good thing about the Yakima trailer is that it can be folded and stored upright, taking up very little space. Not cheap though.

Mine is a 15' Ocean Kayak Prowler in green with no rudder, and my wife's is a 16' Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 in blue with a rudder. Our canoe is a 15' Old Town Camper in red. I changed the seats to cane with a back, and dropped them 6" with bamboo dowels to gain greater stability. The Kevlar strips that I attached with resin on the lower bow and stern below water level don't add any drag but kept scraping damage to a minimum.
Take a look at the Harbor Freight foldable 4x8 trailers, it might be just the ticket at far less than a Yakima trailer with a bit of light modifications to cradle the kayaks. Keep the bearings lubed properly and it will work great!
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

I want to say I spent about $325 for Thule racks for my Mazda 6. I hadn't spent much more than that for my kayak, but you have to have them. I would not recommend a trailer unless you're hauling a lot of boats. Some people use pool noodles and just strap them on top of the car, but I would not recommend this.

It sounds like you have a couple kayaks. I would look into getting some crossbar racks and adding a couple J hooks like https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warrant ... B003V57NUQ.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Someone asked - how to load?- get a trailer?

My wife and I have a Hobie Oasis Tandem Kayak (fasted boat on the lake )>. Thing is a tank - we can barely get it on our landcruiser roof.

I was going to order a trailer - then found a loader which attaches to the tow hitch. The loader basically lowers 45 degrees or so - you lift the front of the kayak/boat onto it - then lift with the back and up it goes onto the roof. Supposedly one person can do it.

Cost about 500.00 (Amazon) - and is sitting in a box in our front room - yet to be tested - but the idea seems very solid.

Much better than dealing with a trailer. It also serves as a 3rd tie down point.

it is called a T loader.

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Rack-T-Loa ... B01CFO8MDK
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

Lumber rack on Ford Ranger pickup and lots of straps.
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

10-ft Wilderness Systems Tarpon Kayak here mostly for fishing...
I like to transport it locally inside my minivan for ease of use.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

This thread is making me seriously want to get a kayak.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

triceratop wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm I enjoy Kayaking and Canoeing. I don't get to do much of it in California. I am going on a 6 hour canoe trip in the wilderness of the Pine Barrens, New Jersey tomorrow. I recommend everyone check out rivers in this area: some of the best freshwater waters in the mid-east.
Pineland Adventures? Please tell us how the trip went. Planning on taking one of their tours.
If it is another in the area, I'd be interested about that too.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

peterinjapan wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 am This thread is making me seriously want to get a kayak.
You should seriously go to a demo day near you and paddle around. I promise you'll get hooked. Just wait and demo more before buying.
A440

Post by A440 »

Is there a particular model/feature I should look into if I tend to have back issues?

I'd also be interested in hearing more about a pedal kayak. Not for fishing, really just for an additional workout while enjoying the lake. Also, can these type of kayaks travel on top of car racks?
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Bayoufrogg

Post by Bayoufrogg »

Im currently on the national Hobie kayak fishing team. Kayaks provide great exercise, get me outdoors, and I can go all day on a bottle of gatorade. Its nice not worrying about finding the elusive non-ethanol fuel to fill up the boat's gas tank. There are no trailer bearings to lube/replace, no engine malfunctions, and the rotomolded plastic designs are really hard to damage/sink. Resale value is also great, unlike most boats. Most of the time my boat sits in the garage and my kayak is loaded in the back of the truck.
A440 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 am Is there a particular model/feature I should look into if I tend to have back issues?

I'd also be interested in hearing more about a pedal kayak. Not for fishing, really just for an additional workout while enjoying the lake. Also, can these type of kayaks travel on top of car racks?

With back issues, learn to lift with your legs and not your back (if you dont already). Its the single most important thing you can change once you have back issues.
Also, Check out the Hobie Compass. Its a lighter weight kayak that was introduced as a more budget friendly mirage drive (pedals) model. As a previous poster recommended, check with your local outfitter/dealer first. They generally have demo days where you can test drive the kayaks free of charge. It will help you get a better idea of what you want in a kayak and give you a chance to have any questions answered.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

We are what is called "lily dippers"--- using recreational 12 footers by Eddyline. Living on the shores of the St Marys river and Lake Superior we live in a great area for kayaking. Also fortunate to have the state and federal park system-which if there is water they have created some type of launch, whether a 'dedicated styled kayak launch or a powered boat launch.

At present we stay with 12 ft boats because they will fit inside the van. If we decide to upgrade in length we could do more open water. The 12s are sort of a transition from rec style to sea/touring boats. We are 26" wide and 12" in depth, so not quite as fast but are pretty good in moderate chop/wind etc.

If anyone is thinking a "sit-inside" really consider one with front and rear sealed bulkheads. Even with a partially water filled cockpit, they will stay afloat. Don't forget your whistle and PFD.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

mggray17 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 am
triceratop wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm I enjoy Kayaking and Canoeing. I don't get to do much of it in California. I am going on a 6 hour canoe trip in the wilderness of the Pine Barrens, New Jersey tomorrow. I recommend everyone check out rivers in this area: some of the best freshwater waters in the mid-east.
Pineland Adventures? Please tell us how the trip went. Planning on taking one of their tours.
If it is another in the area, I'd be interested about that too.
I have my own canoe. But yes Pineland adventures is big. I cannot speak to their service as I have never used them.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I hauled my 17' long custom built wood strip seakayak on top of my old Honda Civic for years using this $20 setup for years without problems. Best part is I have yet to find a vehicle where I can't use this system. I like that it is also a one person job. I just set the kayak on the car roof, insert a foam block under each end and strap it down. I did substitute out the ropes for some ratchet straps so that a good knot is not required. It also works for canoes, paddle boards and other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-11438-7- ... B003EET2OE
dcb

Post by dcb »

I took up kayaking shortly after retiring at age 55. I am now 76 and in spite of some age-related physical limitations (arthritic knees, hips, shoulders) I still enjoy getting out on the water.

Like my fellow Michigander, Yooper16, I enjoy kayaking the many small rivers, streams, marshes, and lakes of 'Pure Michigan'. Kayaking these waters has offered numerous opportunities for viewing and photographing all sorts of wildlife from birds to bears.

I have owned various makes and sizes of kayaks over the years, including one I built, but my go-to kayak now is a Wilderness Systems 10-foot Pungo. It is a nice combination of maneuverability, stability, weight, comfort, and for an old guy relatively easy to get in and out of.

I have found the easiest way to transport a kayak (lacking a trailer, or the back of a van or pickup truck) is to mount bars and saddle racks on a sedan vehicle. What I do is place a ~6ft carpet runner across the back of the trunk and up to the rear bar, lift the front of the kayak onto the carpet, and then from the back of the kayak push it up onto the saddles.

Finally, I will echo what someone else mentioned: don't forget your safety equipment (PDF, whistle, paddle float, bilge pump, etc)

dcb