Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Post Reply
davidkw
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by davidkw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:40 am

Inflows
Vanguard Flows are Down
Industry flows are down even further
Bloomberg does a great job of following Vanguard. Eric Balchunas follows the inflows often.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am

Did you read the rest of the article? It's probably because market returns for the first half of 2017 were 3-4x greater than the first year of 2018. People tend to buy when the market is hot.

davidkw
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by davidkw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:56 am

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am
Did you read the rest of the article? It's probably because market returns for the first half of 2017 were 3-4x greater than the first year of 2018. People tend to buy when the market is hot.
Yes I did. I stay the Boglehead route and stay consistent during up and down markets. I already did my dollar cost averaging for this month.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Alan S.
Posts: 7806
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Prescott, AZ

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by Alan S. » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:48 pm

If true, it is probably a net positive for Vanguard. Firms that grow at the rate that Vanguard has in recent years typically malfunction to some degree. Some feel that they want to expand their business into other areas in which they lack experience. While Vanguard has not done this, their customer service has suffered, probably due to not being able to hire and train personnel fast enough to keep pace with the growth. This might provide Vanguard a chance to improve on these service issues, and perhaps some other elements as well.

That said, THIS might end up restoring the inflow real fast: https://www.kitces.com/blog/vanguard-nt ... 9-57212157

AlwaysWannaLearn
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm

.....
Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selters
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 am

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by selters » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:18 am

AlwaysWannaLearn wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm
davidkw wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:40 am
Inflows

Bloomberg does a great job of following Vanguard. Eric Balchunas follows the inflows often.
And your point, OP, is um... What??? :confused
Sorry if I missed it. What's your question?
Are questions required?

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by linenfort » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 am

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am
because market returns for the first half of 2017 were 3-4x greater than the first year of 2018.
How many years in 2018 again? :confused
:wink:
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:35 pm

linenfort wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 am
gvsucavie03 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am
because market returns for the first half of 2017 were 3-4x greater than the first year of 2018.
How many years in 2018 again? :confused
:wink:
Thanks

Dottie57
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Vanguard Isn't Taking in as Much Money; Neither Is Anyone Else

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:45 pm

linenfort wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 am
gvsucavie03 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am
because market returns for the first half of 2017 were 3-4x greater than the first year of 2018.
How many years in 2018 again? :confused
:wink:
I would rather have two 2017 investing years than multiple years in 2018.

Post Reply