Vanguard to offer non-Vanguard ETFs commission-free

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Ever Ready

Vanguard to offer non-Vanguard ETFs commission-free

Post by Ever Ready »

In August, you’ll have access to almost all ETFs—from Vanguard and more than a hundred other companies—commission-free when you invest online. We’re excluding inverse and leveraged ETFs because their speculative nature runs counter to our investors’ focus on long-term success.

This lineup of nearly 1,800 commission-free ETFs joins the more than 2,500 no-transaction-fee mutual funds we already offer. And for investors using individual stocks and bonds to build diversified portfolios, we provide competitive commissions, with many investors paying as little as $2 for online stock trades.
https://investornews.vanguard/coming-in ... investors/
Salty

Re: Vanguard to offer non-Vanguard ETFs commission-free

Post by Salty »

Thanks for the heads up! This is great.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Nice. Should make for even more options for tax loss harvesting.
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

But of a surprise. All the others will have to do the same
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Hmm... I wonder if the list of non-Vanguard ETFs will include the popular iShares ETFs that people now buy through Fidelity. If so, I can see Fidelity losing a lot more business to Vanguard.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I wonder if they will include SPDRs.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 am Hmm... I wonder if the list of non-Vanguard ETFs will include the popular iShares ETFs that people now buy through Fidelity. If so, I can see Fidelity losing a lot more business to Vanguard.
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/news/Pre ... 70218.html

...including ETFs from BlackRock, Schwab, and SSgA. The program will exclude highly speculative and complex ETFs 1.

looks like the only thing excluded are:

1.Commission-free trades will exclude inverse and leveraged ETFs.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

jacoavlu wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am But of a surprise. All the others will have to do the same
I think this is part of the approach to push costs lower on all fronts... This is particularly interesting as it probably will cost Vanguard very little to implement (as they don't really attract the brokerage / trader customer first and foremost) but it could put a real bite in the fees for the other brokerages that do if they feel the need to respond in kind.

I can see this a step to ensure that expense ratios are real and not subsidized by other fees at other brokerage houses so the ER are comparable when looking at side-by-side comparisons.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Wow. I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised.
UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 am Hmm... I wonder if the list of non-Vanguard ETFs will include the popular iShares ETFs that people now buy through Fidelity. If so, I can see Fidelity losing a lot more business to Vanguard.
It sounds like it will include all ETFs except "specialty" ETFs that don't fit into Vanguard's buy-and-hold philosophy. (If they included those, they could attract too many traders.)

I wonder what the rules will be on trading. Will they have the same permissive rule as Vanguard ETFs? (24 buys and 24 sells in the same ETF in the same account within 12 months leads to a 30-day suspension on purchases.) Or will they have short-term round-trip trading fees like many other brokerages?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I am trying to imagine the emergency meetings being conducted this morning at Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill, and TD Ameritrade. I'm sure it is no accident that Vanguard dropped this press release at the beginning of a popular vacation week when their competitors are operating at half staff in the executive suites.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Ah, it's nice when feedback to Vanguard leads to implementation.

The costs and expenses to implement commissions are probably higher than any income that they get from commissions anyways.

This is also why Robinhood and M1 Finance are not going to survive in my opinion.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Awesome! Only change for me is I’ll likely swap from VIOV to IJS, but this is a pretty big industry change up.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Cool now I can buy LTPZ (hopefully)
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Post by Jiu Jitsu Fighter »

If they offer the following, I'll consider moving my Schwab accounts to Vanguard:

MDYV - State Street S&P 400 Mid-cap Value
SLYV - State Street S&P 600 Small-cap Value
FNDC - Schwab International Developed Markets Small Fundamental
FNDE - Schwab Emerging Market Fundamental

Curious as to what Vanguard would do with their S&P funds (excluding VOO S&P 500). For example, Vanguard offers VIOV (S&P 600 Small-cap Value) which has a paltry AUM and average along with a 20 bps exp. ratio compared to the identical State Street version SLYV which has a higher AUM and average daily volume along with a 15 bps exp. ratio. I guess we'll find out in August.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Great news, sometimes non-Vanguard ETFs are more tax efficient so this is great. It was also annoying that some non-Vanguard brokerages were not allowing purchase of some Vanguard multi factor ETFs. This really changes the game.

The good news for me personally is that Merrill Edge will have to compete harder (or they think they will) to keep my business.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm too lazy to read something that is too new, so may I ask if there are early redemption or frequent trading fees or nuances?
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Next tlh opportunity, moving from VBR to IJS and staying there 😊
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 »

Maybe Ameritrade will go back to offering some Vanguard ETFs commission free.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 am I'm too lazy to read something that is too new, so may I ask if there are early redemption or frequent trading fees or nuances?
Early redemption fees are based on fund, so you'll have to read the prospectus of whatever ETF you're buying.

Frequent trading: I'll be surprised if that's not there. Vanguard prefers people buy and hold; so there will be usual restrictions to discourage frequent trading.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 am If they offer the following, I'll consider moving my Schwab accounts to Vanguard:

Curious as to what Vanguard would do with their S&P funds (excluding VOO S&P 500). For example, Vanguard offers VIOV (S&P 600 Small-cap Value) which has a paltry AUM and average along with a 20 bps exp. ratio compared to the identical State Street version SLYV which has a higher AUM and average daily volume along with a 15 bps exp. ratio. I guess we'll find out in August.
Those aren't leveraged or inverse ETFs, so they will almost certainly be included.

I own a small amount of VIOV in taxable, mostly purchased last year. My average cost is $119.xx per share, and it's currently at $140.xx. So I'm going to be stuck with it for while.
Choy

Post by Choy »

I’ve been hesitant to use Vanguard for taxable brokerage accounts because I feel they have issues with record keeping along with other general issues. I’ve had money go “missing” for a period of time.

Anyone else have concerns?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jhfenton wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 am So I'm going to be stuck with it for while.
You sound like you are disappointed. I think most folks would not mind being stuck with it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Choy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 am I’ve been hesitant to use Vanguard for taxable brokerage accounts because I feel they have issues with record keeping along with other general issues. I’ve had money go “missing” for a period of time.

Anyone else have concerns?
Of course, I am concerned.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Oh my, this is payback for TD Ameritrade dropping Vanguard ETFs in November, 2017 in favor of expensive spindex and sector ETFs and will hopefully kill off marketing agreements between ETF providers and brokerages. Vanguard should come out way ahead if other brokerages also respond with free trades. Another Vanguard initiated win for retail investors.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am
jhfenton wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 am So I'm going to be stuck with it for while.
You sound like you are disappointed. I think most folks would not mind being stuck with it.
Not really. I would prefer to be stuck by capital gains rather than to not have capital gains.

And VIOV has trivially outperformed SLYV despite having a 5 bp higher expense ratio. So there's no great desire to switch.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Will Invesco QQQ be included? That's really the only non-VG ETF I would be interested in buying at this point in my taxable holding. That would be huge since Vanguard does not seem to offer a decent NASDAQ fund.

-TheDDV
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
bzargarcia

More commission free ETFs coming to Vanguard

Post by bzargarcia »

[merged into existing thread - moderator prudent]

FYI.
https://investornews.vanguard/coming-in ... investors/
GMan82

Re: More commission free ETFs coming to Vanguard

Post by GMan82 »

That’s interesting. I wonder if IJS (Sp 600 SCV) will be on that list.

Are there good ETFs out there that aren’t vanguard based but still good for the index investor? I can’t imagine there’s that much unless you invest in active funds.
dual

Post by dual »

This is nice but as a Flagship member I get IIRC ~20 commision free trades per year. I have never come close to the limit.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am I am trying to imagine the emergency meetings being conducted this morning at Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill, and TD Ameritrade. I'm sure it is no accident that Vanguard dropped this press release at the beginning of a popular vacation week when their competitors are operating at half staff in the executive suites.
Ha, and probably a lot of meetings in the offices of Blackrock and State Street where guys are giving each other high fives.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am Will Invesco QQQ be included? That's really the only non-VG ETF I would be interested in buying at this point in my taxable holding. That would be huge since Vanguard does not seem to offer a decent NASDAQ fund.

-TheDDV
Not inverse or leveraged, so almost certainly.
Dale_G

1800 Commission-Free ETFs

Post by Dale_G »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

From Vanguard:
What you can look forward to
In August, you’ll have access to almost all ETFs—from Vanguard and more than a hundred other companies—commission-free when you invest online. We’re excluding inverse and leveraged ETFs because their speculative nature runs counter to our investors’ focus on long-term success.

This lineup of nearly 1,800 commission-free ETFs joins the more than 2,500 no-transaction-fee mutual funds we already offer. And for investors using individual stocks and bonds to build diversified portfolios, we provide competitive commissions, with many investors paying as little as $2 for online stock trades.
It might make tax loss harvesting a little less costly,

Dale
Volatility is my friend
simplesimon

Re: 1800 Commission-Free ETFs

Post by simplesimon »

Nice bit of news, although I have purposely avoided converting my Vanguard admiral class funds to ETFs because I think I will trade more if I was in ETFs. Forced discipline so to speak. Am I leaving any free money on the table as a result?
Sirjames

Post by Sirjames »

Based on the announcement I saw it seems that we’ll need to wait until July to find out what ETFs are included. Unless anyone out there has seen a published list?

This definitely confirms that I will use Vanguard when I’m ready to start a taxable account.
Patience is the ultimate hedge
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

simplesimon wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:47 pm Nice bit of news, although I have purposely avoided converting my Vanguard admiral class funds to ETFs because I think I will trade more if I was in ETFs. Forced discipline so to speak. Am I leaving any free money on the table as a result?
I don't think so. The Vanguard press release says that they are removing fees from the non-Vanguard ETFs. The Vanguard ETFs to which you refer already enjoyed free trading.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 am If they offer the following, I'll consider moving my Schwab accounts to Vanguard:

I thought I saw some examples of SLYV not managing capital return as well as VIOV and IJS. I’m cknsideeing holding IJS in taxable and VIOV in Roth now to keep ER lower while managing risk of the fund being closed and me getting taxed.
MotoTrojan

Re: More commission free ETFs coming to Vanguard

Post by MotoTrojan »

GMan82 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:49 am That’s interesting. I wonder if IJS (Sp 600 SCV) will be on that list.

Are there good ETFs out there that aren’t vanguard based but still good for the index investor? I can’t imagine there’s that much unless you invest in active funds.
Some DFA options maybe. Small-value International is a VG hole which has some options out there. Microcap too.
Raabe34

Post by Raabe34 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 am Ah, it's nice when feedback to Vanguard leads to implementation.

The costs and expenses to implement commissions are probably higher than any income that they get from commissions anyways.

This is also why Robinhood and M1 Finance are not going to survive in my opinion.
concur
Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Post by Jiu Jitsu Fighter »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I thought I saw some examples of SLYV not managing capital return as well as VIOV and IJS. I’m cknsideeing holding IJS in taxable and VIOV in Roth now to keep ER lower while managing risk of the fund being closed and me getting taxed.
Agreed. SLYV has had much more capital gains than VIOV or IJSin the past. I would hold SLYV in a tax-deferred account and IJS in a taxable account. For some reason, bogleheads eschew SLYV. Besides the capital gains, it's the lowest cost and tracks the index well with a decent amount of AUM and average daily trading volume.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

I wonder how this gets paid for. Fund supermarket access fees by providers? Payment for order flow? Internalization, i.e. market-making (most likely)?
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

It'll be interesting to see if DFA funds will be in this list, especially since they're not inverse funds.. but DFA wants to only sell their funds through an advisor. That would be a disruptor if allowed!
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 am This is also why Robinhood and M1 Finance are not going to survive in my opinion.
Robinhood has free individual stocks and crypto. Both these are popular among younger investors. Plus they have a slick app, which their users care about more (unlike typical Vanguard users). I don't think this is a threat to Robinhood any way, although Robinhood should be worried how easy it is for a larger player to replicate it's business model, and how easy it is for users to switch trading platforms.
Iridium

Post by Iridium »

walletless wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm It'll be interesting to see if DFA funds will be in this list, especially since they're not inverse funds.. but DFA wants to only sell their funds through an advisor. That would be a disruptor if allowed!
This new policy only applies to ETFs. DFA does not offer any ETFs and is not likely to do so in the future (as you point out, if DFA offered an ETF they would not be able to limit purchases to those with approved advisors).
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

walletless wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm It'll be interesting to see if DFA funds will be in this list, especially since they're not inverse funds.. but DFA wants to only sell their funds through an advisor. That would be a disruptor if allowed!
DFA has ETFs?
Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo »

will (our current) IJS shares now appreciate with purchases by those Vanguard custoners who all along wanted to buy in but never did until now because IJS wasn't commission-free for them?

Edit to add: :wink:
Last edited by Lieutenant.Columbo on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!
vesalius

Post by vesalius »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:53 pm
DFA has ETFs?
Yes by proxy, they manage John Hancocks Multifactor ETFs
JHMD Multifactor Developed International ETF
JHML Multifactor Large Cap ETF
JHMM Multifactor Mid Cap ETF
JHSC Multifactor Small Cap ETF

as well as several other sector ETFs.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

:mrgreen: I suppose this is good news. It will lower costs for ETF fans, and increase market-share at Vanguard... and I'll wager that qualifies as an increase in pay to Vanguard's employees eligible for the "partnership plan" bonuses.
I would also wager Mr.Bogle has mixed feelings about this, with a preference against people using esoteric ETFs and should focus on simply broad-based low-cost TIFs.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Post by 123 »

Sounds like a move by Vanguard to make their brokerage offering more attractive, sounds like a good deal, especially for those who follow a bogleheads methodology.

Of course I'm very curious to find out what Schwab and Fidelity will do to stay competitive.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Good deal. Now Vanguard should sweeten the deal for Flagship clients. 25 free trades, which I used only a few trades, now is not as much value. My vote would be bring back free TurboTax.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Dale_G's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.