Looking for Mazda CX-9 Feedback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Looking for Mazda CX-9 Feedback

Post by FrugalInvestor »

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new SUV and have been researching the options. Most of those we're considering such as the Toyota Highlander, Honda CR-V and Ford Edge we can experience firsthand and get owner feedback through friends who own them. We also have been reading about the Mazda CX-9. We like the design and online reviews are generally very positive but they aren't as common so we don't know anyone who owns one.

My wife doesn't like our current car because the back seat is cramped and after moving to a 55+ community we often have friends ride with us, so back seat legroom is a must. My must-have is good long-term reliability. We both want a comfortable, relatively quiet SUV for long road trips which we both enjoy.

I'd appreciate any firsthand experience that others might be able to share about the current generation (2016+) Mazda CX-9 and if you think it might be a good match for our needs. I'd also appreciate learning about any perceived shortcomings.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
pochax

Re: Looking for Mazda CX-9 Feedback

Post by pochax »

i own a 2016 CX-9 GT AWD. it is a fabulous crossover but i will be honest about what it is good and not so good at:
(+):
- great driving dynamics (very car-like in its steering and feel)
- very nice design/looks IMO
- if you get higher trims (GT or signature) and the safety tech, it is VERY nice including the headsup display (HUD) which keeps your eyes on the road but still gives you all sorts of nice info including speed, nav info, blind-spot warnings and lane departure.
- nice quiet interior and feels more upscale than same-class competitors (Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, etc.) but not quite luxury level (although Signature trim has nappa leather and rosewood trim)
- i think 2nd-row comfort should be fine for your passengers (my kids don't seem to mind) but not the 3rd-row (only small kids fit ok back there and no A/C vents for them)
- engine is 4-cylinder turbo with almost no turbo-lag and good low-end torque so the feeling of power is more than adequate

(-):
- infotainment is average. there are some reports of people have lots of reboots and crashes. doesn't seem to happen very often on my car (but it has happened). there is NO Apple Carplay or Android Auto integration (and don't expect there to be anytime soon).
- fuel efficiency is probably not as good as the listed (21/27/23 avg). i get 21-22 mpg in 50/50 city/highway driving. on a long roadtrip to SC i got close to 25.
- if you need lots of cargo space, go with Pilot or Pathfinder type vehicles, but CX-9 is adequate for my 4 person family.
- recently Consumer Reports has given it not-so good reliability predictability but take into account it is "Predicted reliability" and not based on real data yet and the fact that the 2016-17 model years were the new redesign so reliability is typically poorer in those first years. 2018 should be fine and personally with the 2016 i have had to bring it in for only one warranty repair which was a squeaky coil (not a safety issue, just an annoying noise). also had a tire puncture/replaced but that is not the car's fault.

PM me if you have any further questions. we have 22k miles on it now.
scooter

Post by scooter »

Look at the Acura rdx with acura watch which is in the middle range. Tech pkg not worth extra $4K
Bought a new 2016 and love the car.
rides and handles nicely
gas mileage around town 19-20
get 29-30 on steady highway
great cruise control that slows car down when other cars pull in front of you at slower spped but goes back to preset when other car leaves lane
Brake warning etc.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

We own a 2016 Mazda CX-9 in signature trim. We purchased it in June 2016 as my wife's daily driver and family road trip vehicle. I had initially intended to purchase a Honda Pilot.

Plenty big enough for four adults. (second row seats are fine and slide forwards/backwards as needed for more legroom)

Overall gas mileage has been about 23.5mpg

Best looking crossover out there.

Zero problems to date (15,000 miles)

Wife loves it.
CULater

Post by CULater »

scooter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm Look at the Acura rdx with acura watch which is in the middle range. Tech pkg not worth extra $4K
rides and handles nicely
great cruise control that slows car down when other cars pull in front of you at slower spped but goes back to preset when other car leaves lane
Brake warning etc.
If it were me, I'd wait to see the 2019 model which will be a completely new design. Should come out around May, 2018. The current one is circa 2012 and has a kinda lousy double screen infotainment system and no Android Auto or CarPlay. The CRV was a completely new model in 2017 and has had major improvements in ride, quietness, interior, and infotainment. The RDX is the upscale version of the CRV and they'll have to make a lot of changes to one-up the CRV so well worth waiting for, IMO. Actually, I test-drove a lot of vehicles and preferred the 2017 CRV to the current RDX, so I bought one even though I could afford a more expensive vehicle. After seeing the new CRV I couldn't justify another $12K or more to get a similarly equipped RDX that would still have an outdated infotainment system. CRV has all the safety electronics (auto braking, adaptive cruise, lane-keeping assist, road-departure mitigation) standard that you pay extra to get in the RDX and it's probably the same stuff that's in the RDX. At least it seems to work the same as the RDX I test-drove. CRV has more room - it would be fine with folks in the back seat. The rear doors swing out 90-degrees for easy in and out. And more cargo space. And a spare tire. You have to pay extra to get one in the RDX. Oh, and you don't need premium fuel and it gets 27 city and 32 highway with AWD.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I had my eye on the 2019 RDX but I don't think we want to wait that long. Since it will basically be a fancy CRV with a larger price tag I think we would lean toward the CRV anyway. I think it may come down to either the CRV or a CX-9. The CRV seems just a bit small for us and that's why we're investigating the CX-9 which is, I believe, on the small end of full-size SUVs.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

The CX-9 has a slightly smaller interior compared with the Pilot and Highlander but it is actually longer than either of those two vehicles. The CRV is a compact SUV and not really in the same class as the CX-9. We preferred the styling of the CX-9 (inside and outside) over those two.
CULater

Post by CULater »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 pm I had my eye on the 2019 RDX but I don't think we want to wait that long. Since it will basically be a fancy CRV with a larger price tag I think we would lean toward the CRV anyway. I think it may come down to either the CRV or a CX-9. The CRV seems just a bit small for us and that's why we're investigating the CX-9 which is, I believe, on the small end of full-size SUVs.
If you want a bit more size but not mid-sized you can check out the Kia Sorento. This is a pretty nice SUV with a "just right" size. The Ford Edge is similarly sized. I looked at both because they seemed right-sized to me; but felt the 2017 CRV was quite adequate for my needs. I think you're right that the RDX will be similarly sized to the CRV, as they share the same platform. The 2017 platform is a bit longer and wider than the 2016 platform. Another one to check out may be the new Volkswagen Tiguan. I haven't seen it but it's bigger than the previous version, which was rather on the tiny side for an SUV. Yet another right-sized SUV is the Volvo XC-60. The latest one is a new design.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I'm not confident in the VW or Volvo for long-term reliability and cost of repair. I once had a very bad experience with a European car (Audi) that has always stuck with me. I know that Kia has been rising in the reliability ratings but it's pretty much an unknown to me. I like to buy new, maintain well, and keep a car for 7-10 years and usually about 150,000 miles. I want something that I can trust to not have problems and that will not start feeling worn. Our last two vehicles have been a Lexus and an Acura and they have filled the bill very well.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Today’s mail brought the December issue of Consumer Reports. It has an article addressing predicted reliability for new cars. CX-9 is at the bottom of the midsize SUV category with a 20 rating. Best is the Toyota 4-Runner at 84 (Highlander is 83). It also includes a side-bar on brand reliability. The accompanying chart describes the CX-9 as the least reliable Mazda model. Mazda as a brand was in the middle of the pack -12/27.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 am Today’s mail brought the December issue of Consumer Reports. It has an article addressing predicted reliability for new cars. CX-9 is at the bottom of the midsize SUV category with a 20 rating. Best is the Toyota 4-Runner at 84 (Highlander is 83). It also includes a side-bar on brand reliability. The accompanying chart describes the CX-9 as the least reliable Mazda model. Mazda as a brand was in the middle of the pack -12/27.
Thank you for that information.
pochax

Post by pochax »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 am Today’s mail brought the December issue of Consumer Reports. It has an article addressing predicted reliability for new cars. CX-9 is at the bottom of the midsize SUV category with a 20 rating. Best is the Toyota 4-Runner at 84 (Highlander is 83). It also includes a side-bar on brand reliability. The accompanying chart describes the CX-9 as the least reliable Mazda model. Mazda as a brand was in the middle of the pack -12/27.
yes, i brought this up in my earlier post but i would caveat that Mazda for the past 3 years in CR was ranked #5-7 previously and the this drop to #12 was almost entirely from the CX-9 and its "predicted reliability". realize that when CR gets a report of "infotainment froze/rebooted" it counts the same as "drivetrain broke down"...illogical that the severity of the problem is not taken into account. i have not heard of any frequent reports of the new turbo-4 cyl. engine having any issues. how can CR speak to reliability when the new model has only been out since Summer 2016? in this case, one should take the "data" with a grain of salt since the methodology itself may have skewed the results. i am not saying brand new models DON'T typically have bugs/problems because they do. but now the CX-9 is entering its 2nd to 3rd-year in this redesign so i would not count it as a "brand new" model anymore.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

scooter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm Look at the Acura rdx with acura watch which is in the middle range. Tech pkg not worth extra $4K
rides and handles nicely
Brake warning etc.
The RDX is not in the same class size as the CX-9. The CX-9 is 199" long compared to 184" for the RDX. The RDX doesn't have a 3rd row of seats.
Tal-

Post by Tal- »

We just purchased a SUV, and had high hopes for the CX-9 - but when we looked at it, it was clearly not our cup of tea. We found the interior to be cheaply made and not overly functional. The handling was average or slightly above average, but virtually every other SUV we were looking at offered a V6, and even the most humble V6 was way more fun to drive than the CX-9. And while we were looking at higher trim packages, the CX-9 was not significantly less expensive than the alternatives.

I also remember thinking that the CX-9 would not be as livable as some of the alternatives - though I don't recall specifics on this front.

The exterior look was also not our thing. I think Mazda's new grill/styling look outstanding on the CX-5 (smaller SUV) and 6 (larger sedan), but do not fit the bigger (CX-9) or smaller (3) models.

This is a really good segment with lots of great options, but in my opinion and using my tastes, the CX-9 is not a viable competitor in this ultra-competitive segment. I would strongly suggest looking at the Pilot and Highlander - clearly the two leaders and both very strong options.
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.
dbr

Post by dbr »

The CX-9 is a really big vehicle. It might be better to screen choices based on back seat leg room if that is the issue. The first thing is to know what the back seat space is in the current vehicle so one has a baseline for comparison.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 am
rides and handles nicely
Brake warning etc.
The RDX is not in the same class size as the CX-9. The CX-9 is 199" long compared to 184" for the RDX. The RDX doesn't have a 3rd row of seats.
We would be happy with either class which opens up more options. I doubt we would use the third row seats but we aren't opposed to the added length/space. A nice CRV seems to be leading the pack at this point but there are so many on the road (and among our friends) that my wife is wanting to explore other options.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have not driven the CX-9. I have a 2015 CX-5 and love it and have zero issues. I love the look of the CX-9. The reviews seem positive. 4.5/5 Car & Driver, 8.4/10 US News & World Report and 4.9/5 Edmunds. Ultimately the drive and feel means a lot though and that can be rather personal.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Deleted
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KT785

Post by KT785 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 pm We're getting close to buying a vehicle. Any further feedback of the CX-9?
If you're in the market for a 3-row crossover specifically, I'd take a look at the new Subaru Ascent; we plan on replacing my wife's Nissan Rogue with one in a couple years as we plan on adding to the family.

I'm quite enamored with my Subaru Outback which may be worth checking out if you're not dead-set on a 3-row crossover.

Alex on Autos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HavWCdF65M
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We're getting close to buying a vehicle. Any further first-hand feedback on the CX-9?
jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 »

This probably doesn't help any, but I'm a die hard GM guy. I went to the Chicago Auto show and looked at everything as always, and went to go look at the GMC Crossovers, especially the Denali. Was let down/not impressed with the interior at all. Walked over to the Mazda and they had a brand new CX9 fully loaded, holy hell was it SO nice. Seemed like it was a German car interior, or something that was in a totally different price range than any GMC had to offer. Which hurts me as a GM guy and someone who always tells people to buy American. I'm a big fan of Mazda for the "boring" kind of cars that are just commuters
researcher

Post by researcher »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 pm We're getting close to buying a vehicle. Any further first-hand feedback on the CX-9?
You should check out the latest issue of Car & Driver.

They just finished up a long-term, 40K mile evaluation of the CX-9.

I won't recap the review here, but it was a very favorable review overall.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

researcher wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:12 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 pm We're getting close to buying a vehicle. Any further first-hand feedback on the CX-9?
You should check out the latest issue of Car & Driver.

They just finished up a long-term, 40K mile evaluation of the CX-9.

I won't recap the review here, but it was a very favorable review overall.
Thanks for the reference, I had not seen that one.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

I can only respond to the great reliability and build quality of Mazdas in general. Mazda just gave me $2,000 credit toward my convertible top that is 6 years old. EXCELLENT customer service...3 years out of warranty.

I have never had a repair on my 2012.

I'm very high on the brand.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

My wife has had her 2016 CX-9 Signature for just over two years and 20,000 miles with zero problems. She loves it.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

I'm a little perplexed by the low reliability ratings for Mazdas. I bought my 2014 Mazda 6 new and it's been tight and trouble free 40,000 miles later. Plus I know several other recent Mazda owners who love their vehicles and haven't had a spot of trouble with them. They own CX-9, CX-5, Mazda 6, Mazda 3, and CX-3.

Plus, unlike a previous poster's comments, the build quality of all these vehicles is extremely high, with a much better "bang for the buck" quotient than similarly priced vehicles. The Toyotas, Nissans, etc in the same price class that I've seen seem positively chintzy in comparison. Now that Mazda has completely separated from Ford (about 5 years ago) the build quality and reliability have zoom-zoomed up.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

rides and handles nicely
Brake warning etc.
We were actually cross-shopping the two. We waited on the 2019 RDX with high hopes and took a test drive yesterday. Unfortunately we were both underwhelmed. Now we're now back to the CX-9 topping our (short) list.
duuuuuude

Post by duuuuuude »

Isn’t the RDX and CX-9 two different categories?

Have you checked out the Infiniti QX60?

That may be another option...similar class as the CX-9?
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

duuuuuude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 pm Isn’t the RDX and CX-9 two different categories?

Have you checked out the Infiniti QX60?

That may be another option...similar class as the CX-9?
Size isn't the primary consideration - either category would work. The CX-9 appears to be an excellent value for the money. The QX60 looks to be over $50,000 MSRP equipped like we'd want and that's more than we want to spend. I'd consider the QX50 but the engine is a brand new design and I don't care for CVTs.
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

We have a 2016 CX-9 Touring, and it is an amazing SUV. We just helped a friend move and you would not believe how much stuff can be packed in there. The 2-3-2 seating is excellent for the vast majority of daily uses. It's a very serious near-luxe car, and the engine design is downright technically brilliant. Mazda basically created a gas diesel or old OHV GM-style V6/V8 out of a 4 cyl. engine using a turbo, but they tuned the turbos to provide huge power at 1500 RPM and to tail off at 4000 RPM. It's a brilliant design and drives very well.

One tip, it handles WAY better in Front Wheel Drive than All Wheel Drive, both in terms of smoothness and driving responsiveness/maneuverability.

From looking at the 2018 CX-9 specs, they fixed the one flaw of my wife's CX-9 which is that it has an annoyingly small 16 gallon gas tank, meaning a ~300ish mile range on road trips and less in the city. Now it has a 19 gallon tank and that more than solves the issue.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Theoretical wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 am We have a 2016 CX-9 Touring, and it is an amazing SUV. We just helped a friend move and you would not believe how much stuff can be packed in there. The 2-3-2 seating is excellent for the vast majority of daily uses. It's a very serious near-luxe car, and the engine design is downright technically brilliant. Mazda basically created a gas diesel or old OHV GM-style V6/V8 out of a 4 cyl. engine using a turbo, but they tuned the turbos to provide huge power at 1500 RPM and to tail off at 4000 RPM. It's a brilliant design and drives very well.

One tip, it handles WAY better in Front Wheel Drive than All Wheel Drive, both in terms of smoothness and driving responsiveness/maneuverability.

From looking at the 2018 CX-9 specs, they fixed the one flaw of my wife's CX-9 which is that it has an annoyingly small 16 gallon gas tank, meaning a ~300ish mile range on road trips and less in the city. Now it has a 19 gallon tank and that more than solves the issue.
Thank you for the feedback Theoretical.

What real-world mileage are you getting in city and highway driving?
Theoretical

The myth Re: Looking for Mazda CX-9 Feedback

Post by Theoretical »

Road trips average to about 24-25 MPG. Her usage in the city is abnormal because we live very close to her work, she generally uses <30 MPG low speed residential roads and the like so there it’s like 20 MPG, but even my Elantra struggles to hit 30 in conditions like that. It really doesn’t matter because she puts like 7500 miles a year on it.

My commute is high traffic highway, so it’d probably do 22ish. The main point is that the turbo basically makes up for the higher efficiency of the 4 cylinder vs the standard V6 of its competitors like the Honda Pilot or the like.

The big thing is that it handles incredibly well, period, including downright amazing brakes. It weighs nearly 1,000 pounds more than my Elantra and stops about 5 feet shorter from 60. It’s a driver’s vehicle that really gives you control. One tip, don’t be a leadfoot or you’ll barely notice you’re doing 85.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

I had a 2008 cx9 and I currently still have a 2011 cx9 which I gave to my parents.
Very happy with both.
Never any issues. Just maintenance.

Mazda in general is more performance oriented compared to Toyota.

I am a big Mazda enthusiast overall and have owned several others including a Miata, rx8, and an rx7. Very happy with all
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm
rides and handles nicely
Brake warning etc.
We were actually cross-shopping the two. We waited on the 2019 RDX with high hopes and took a test drive yesterday. Unfortunately we were both underwhelmed. Now we're now back to the CX-9 topping our (short) list.
Without absolute need for 3rd row seats, a lot of options open up. Between the RDX and CX9 is the CX5 that seems like the ultimate compromise. Is that why it’s lower ranked than either other option? I’d consider the grand touring a slight downgrade in luxury from the RDX, and mainly missing the 3rd row vs the CX9, but at a lower cost than either, a serious contender. If 3rd row is required, I’d be taking a closer look at the Subaru Ascent in the mix.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I test drove the CX-9 and most of the competitors when we were looking for a new SUV. I'm talking about the Grand Touring and Signature, not lower levels.

The styling was by far the best in class but this is a personal opinion. Love the huge wheels, love the front end styling, etc. Because of this styling, you love some space inside compared to some competitors but 4 people will be comfortable.

I loved the interior. Unlike every other SUV in it's class, you feel surrounded by the CX-9 where all the other SUV's you feel like you're just sitting on top of the seat. It's like they built the cabin around you.

Handling and ride was good. The one negative for me was the motor. I had always heard so many great things about the CX-9 but I wasn't impressed with the motor as much as I thought I would be. Part of it was that we were coming from an RDX that had a smooth as silk 6cyl. I'm just not a fan of this move from NA 6cyl to turbo 4cyl. Even if they are faster, I'm just not a fan. With that said, nearly all the mid sized and a lot of the large SUV's have moved to these turbo 4cyl and most people would be fine with them.

In the end, my wife chose something else but if it was me I would have probably chose this over a Highlander, Pilot, etc. Although both of these vehicles are awesome, great room, reliable, etc. they have very little personality and are like driving a around a white refrigerator. They are not the type of vehicles that you look back at to admire once you parked it. They are the types of vehicles that you are constantly losing track of in the parking lot because there are so many like it.

Other people are mentioning the CX-5. These are not close to being in the same league. The CX-5 back seat is tight. The CX-5 was the only SUV we sat in that I had issues with rear seat room. My knees actually touched the front seat when it was pushed all the way back.
pochax

Post by pochax »

Frugal:

what is most important to you? i own 2016 CX-9 GT AWD and a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD. both are good cars but not without their compromises. here are some bits of info (both positive and negative) that might steer you one way or the other:
CX-9:
- real world gas mileage after 35k miles = 21-22 mpg. this is not in line with 23 EPA rating. highway/city driving is probably 50/50. my wife typically drives it...she doesn't have a lead foot but she also doesn't actively try to drive efficiently either so if you are hypermiling and ginger with your acceleration you might get it up to 23 combined but i wouldn't count on it.
- no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. yes, they are talking about adding something (probably costs extra) to get it later in 2018 but i have not heard anything promised and this has been rumored since 2016 so also would not count on it. related to that, many people don't like the infotainment system thinking it is outdated which to some extent is true, but also i find it easy to use once you get used to it.
- the low reliability ratings on Consumer Reports were explained in a youtube video of Talking Cars (CR's auto focused pod/videocast series). there were reports of engine issues with the new Turbo-4. personally i have not had such issues with our engine. my guess is now that it is in 3rd model year (2018 going into 2019), i doubt this will be an issue moving forward. also infotainment reboots plague the CX-9 a bit (yes, this has happened to me as well...annoying but not a dealbreaker). i had one warranty-repair of axle-wheel bearing connection which caused squeaking but not safety issue. the safety tech (adaptive cruise, lane departure, blindspot warning, heads up display) has worked very well although in winter the front radar-cruise control can potentially frost up and stop working but the car will warn you it is not working so you know not to trust it).
- the seating position and power adjustment has been criticized that the seat does not have enough leg support for taller drivers
- there are fewer cupholders than in other 3-row SUVs
- there is no option for pano-roof

hope this helps and i can answer any other questions you may have.

overall i really like the car and think it's a great value for the money. Pricier luxury models will get you more (as it should). i doubt you can find as good value in less expensive models (maybe Kia Sorento) but handling will not be as good.
g2morrow

Post by g2morrow »

2013 CX-9 here. Only two complaints. 1. heated seats are almost worthless 2. side body panels are really thin and dent extremely easily.
researcher

Post by researcher »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 am The CX-5 back seat is tight. The CX-5 was the only SUV we sat in that I had issues with rear seat room. My knees actually touched the front seat when it was pushed all the way back.
How many compact SUVs did you evaluate?

Of the five or so I looked at while car shopping, my knees touched the front seat in ALL of them when the front seat is pushed all the way back.
pochax

Post by pochax »

g2morrow wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 am 2013 CX-9 here. Only two complaints. 1. heated seats are almost worthless 2. side body panels are really thin and dent extremely easily.
in 2016, there was a complete re-design of the CX-9 so there is no relationship with older model years.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

researcher wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am
dsmclone wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 am The CX-5 back seat is tight. The CX-5 was the only SUV we sat in that I had issues with rear seat room. My knees actually touched the front seat when it was pushed all the way back.
How many compact SUVs did you evaluate?

Of the five or so I looked at while car shopping, my knees touched the front seat in ALL of them when the front seat is pushed all the way back.
2018 VW Tiguan-Not even close, tons of room
2018 CRV-More rear room than the CX-5

We didn't look at a lot of compact SUV's but people are recommending the CX-5 in place of the CX-9 and I just wanted to mention that there is a big difference in rear space.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We looked at the CX-5 as well as the CX-9. We are not interested in the CX5 but thanks for the comments about it.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I want to replace my 2008 VUE compact SUV, and after looking and some test drives I decided to buy a 2018 CX-5. Chose it over the Escape, CR-V, Outback, Forrester, GLC and BMW X-3. I was ready to pull the trigger but my DW decided she didn't like the body style.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 am We looked at the CX-5 as well as the CX-9. We are not interested in the CX5 but thanks for the comments about it.
Understand your preference for CX-9, but why cross-shop vs RDX instead of MDX? Make me think the 3rd row isn't that important or essential, so other factors like more room or options are more important.

I've wrestled with need for 3rd row seating, and between RDX and MDX, came to the conclusion that the RDX would suffice > 90% of the time. The 3rd row requirement helps narrow down your choices, but if you're able to eliminate that as a consideration, it opens up the world to dozens of 5 passenger SUVs. Neither the MDX nor CX-9 would make the top of that list for me. YMMV.

Among the 3rd row SUVs, my reference is the Pilot, that I'd compare to the Ascent, MDX and CX-9 and minivans, but fortunately, we've done just fine without a minivan for about a year, and might just be crossing that requirement off my list and 7 passenger seating becomes more of a liability (the 3rd row seats are space occupying dead weight).
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Thank you all for your feedback. It was very helpful.

After continuing to look, read and compare we settled on a '19 Mazda CX-9 and purchased it today. The 2019 added a few new features that were important to us including Android Auto (and Apple CarPlay), ventilated seats and more safety systems among other things. My primary concern is reliability but the car is now fairly mature (first of this generation was '16) so I'm betting that most of the wrinkles are ironed out by now. We'll shall see.

We like the more classic and subdued styling and the way it handles, feeling smaller than it is.

Since we're coming from a 2011 vehicle with pretty basic electronics the next few days will be spent learning about how to effectively use all the new functionality. It should be fun!
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Congrats on the CX-9. It's a great vehicle. Just bought a CX-5 Grand Touring for DW. It's a great vehicle, too. Viva Mazda!
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Thanks El Greco.

We're on steep learning curve trying to understand and utilize all the features and tech. We're also enjoying just driving it!