Insuring a rental car as non-owner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
azumagaoka

Insuring a rental car as non-owner

Post by azumagaoka »

Dear all,

After some thoughts and consideration and with helps of many of you, I have decided to rent a car (likely from Enterprise through Costco) for my monthly Champaign-Charlottesville trip instead of buying my own car and taking that mileage myself - at least for the first few times just to see how it goes. Having already done some research, I was wondering whether the insurance plan sounds reasonable to you.

1. Insured through Enterprise all the way -- Enterprise does provide insurance options below:
 Damage waiver (lowest rate is less than $10/day but can be 3 times more)
 Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): covers ambulance expenses, medical expenses, accidental death benefits)
 Personal Effects Coverage (PEC): protects against loss or damage to personal effects (averaging between $5 and $11 per day)
 Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP). protects against combined liability claims (< $10/day to ~$15/day)

While a combination of all four seem to cover everything, with me being likely to rent for 3-7 days each month (depending on which month it is), the fees will add up rather quickly. I should mention that I am a foreign national who has not yet had a driving record in the U.S. (had driven in Asia and mostly in Japan), so if anything, the fees will only be more expensive for me.

2. AMEX + Another non-owner liability Insurance
 AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection covers:
 Up to $100,000 of primary coverage for damage or theft of a Rental Vehicle.
 Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death or Dismemberment coverage
 Up to $15,000 for secondary medical expenses per person,
 but does not cover liability, so maybe this and another non-owner Insurance policy -- would these two cover everything I need?

Without better sources, I have been simply going through the list here but the information is rather difficult to get.
 State Farm, for instance, does not give you a quote if you do not add a vehicle (I might be navigating their site in the wrong way though...)

Any thoughts and experience on what is possible and/or financially wiser to do are greatly appreciated! :sharebeer
RudyS

Re: Insuring a rental car as non-owner

Post by RudyS »

You need to call the companies. That's what it says in the site you quoted.
Skierajs

Post by Skierajs »

I have a “named non-owner” policy from Geico which covers me + spouse in any vehicle, including rental and car share. You must call them to get it quoted and it may take your rep a bit to figure out how to do it as it’s not very common. The policy is liability only and I use AMEX or another platinum credit card to cover the rental vehicle. I have had one accident in a rental and the credit card covered it no problem ($50 deductible).

My Geico policy is $300k body injury per person / per occurrence, $100k property damage, $300k uninsured motorist. The total policy premium is under $400 per year ($190 per 6 month term).

I also have an umbrella policy with Geico stacked on top of this and it was extremely well priced. Of course your premium may be very different depending on age and other factors, but I would definitely give Geico a call if you’re considering a setup like this.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

The Chase Sapphire Reserve, which functions as the primary insurance for Auto rentals. A better bet thN Amex.
Topic Author
azumagaoka

Post by azumagaoka »

Cruise wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm The Chase Sapphire Reserve, which functions as the primary insurance for Auto rentals. A better bet thN Amex.
Thanks Cruise! Chase Sapphire Reserve looks really neat. It does not include theft while Amex does, but in many cases I would think the former will be enough and cheaper. At this point, the annual fee is $450 and $150 after considering the $300 travel credit. I will give it a serious consideration. :dollar
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

azumagaoka wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 pm
Cruise wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm The Chase Sapphire Reserve, which functions as the primary insurance for Auto rentals. A better bet thN Amex.
Thanks Cruise! Chase Sapphire Reserve looks really neat. It does not include theft while Amex does, but in many cases I would think the former will be enough and cheaper. At this point, the annual fee is $450 and $150 after considering the $300 travel credit. I will give it a serious consideration. :dollar
You are welcome. Why don’t you just fly?
Topic Author
azumagaoka

Post by azumagaoka »

Cruise wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 pm
azumagaoka wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 pm
You are welcome. Why don’t you just fly?
I will consider flying when the price is reasonable, but the CHO-CMI ticket price has been on the rise. I remember being able to get something around $200 before, but nowadays it's rarely the case. Plus, driving as it's more flexible, I can carry more stuff, and I will need a car to move around in my destination anyway. My mind could change after making my first trip though... guess we'll see!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I would not rely on credit card coverage as your only coverage. What they cover and the limits are pitiful. You would never buy auto insurance with such low limits or exclusions.