How much of your taxable holdings is unrealized capital gains?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Luckywon

How much of your taxable holdings is unrealized capital gains?

Post by Luckywon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm

The value of holdings in a taxable account is dependent to some degree on the amount of unrealized capital gains. Similarly, having a capital loss carryover balance on your last return is an asset that will reduce your taxes in the future.

I think some awareness of these would inform any discussion where taxable account holdings are discussed. Obviously, a nest egg including $1 million dollars in taxable but most of that in unrealized capital gains is not as good as one with $1 million dollars with an unrealized capital loss. Yet I see little to no mention of these data points here (or anywhere). IMO, it would be useful if the "Asking Portfolio Questions" guidelines were amended to ask for this data. In extreme cases, in might make the difference between advising retirement or not. Anyway, in the absence of that I think a poll of members on their taxable holdings' net capital gain or loss and amount of capital loss carryover on their last tax return may provide some perspective on the average and range of these figures. Including age in any response may provide better perspective-obviously unrealized capital gains would be expected to be higher with increasing age, on average.

I'll go first, of course. I'm 53. Of my taxable holdings, 19.7% is unrealized capital gains. I have $25k in capital loss carryovers on my last return.

If there are enough responses, I promise to summarize the data with averages for each age group.

ResearchMed

Re: How much of your taxable holdings is capital gains?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm
The value of holdings in a taxable account is dependent to some degree on the amount of unrealized capital gains. Similarly, having a capital loss carryover balance on your last return is an asset that will reduce your taxes in the future.

I think some awareness of these would inform any discussion where taxable account holdings are discussed. Obviously, a nest egg including $1 million dollars in taxable but most of that in unrealized capital gains is not as good as one with $1 million dollars with an unrealized capital loss. Yet I see little to no mention of these data points here (or anywhere). IMO, it would be useful if the "Asking Portfolio Questions" guidelines were amended to ask for this data. In extreme cases, in might make the difference between advising retirement or not. Anyway, in the absence of that I think a poll of members on their taxable holdings' net capital gain or loss and amount of capital loss carryover on their last tax return may provide some perspective on the average and range of these figures. Including age in any response may provide better perspective-obviously unrealized capital gains would be expected to be higher with increasing age, on average.

I'll go first, of course. I'm 53. Of my taxable holdings, 19.7% is unrealized capital gains. I have $25k in capital loss carryovers on my last return.

If there are enough responses, I promise to summarize the data with averages for each age group.
There is also the "problem" of those who have significant holdings in tax-deferred accounts, but it's "worse": ALL of the money is yet to be taxed, and the tax rate is likely to be much higher, for many, than the capital gains rate.

There have been discussions here on BH about whether one does/should "adjust" for "after tax" amounts.

In terms of providing data for your summary, we really can't, as almost all of our retirement savings is tax-deferred, including what we'd use for emergency money if needed.
(We are old enough that there's no penalty to remove money.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Chris K Jones

Re: How much of your taxable holdings is unrealized capital gains?

Post by Chris K Jones » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 pm

About 40% of mine is unrealized capital gains I have about 60k as a capital loss carried forward.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Many people have a lot of room in early retirement to take capital gains at a 0% tax rate. Others plan to hold the largest gains until death so their heirs get a stepped-up basis. Others donate the holdings with the largest gains. So even knowing what percent are unrealized gains, everyone's assets would still be discounted at a different rate. It might shed a little light on one's finances, but with large error bars.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Yes, capital gains I don't want to pay tax on are the reason I hold a few individual stocks. I'm up 300% on AAPL, it's hard to pull the trigger and sell.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:08 pm

67%. Almost all in individual stocks. As someone else mentioned, reluctance to pay the capital gains tax (and the desire to continue to reap the compound on the portion that would be taxed) is a major barrier to diversifying. I wish there was a 1031 Exchange for individual stocks.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm

I think this is very relevant- especially for planning expenses. It can have huge implications on Roth conversions in low income years. In those years the ability to extract sufficient money but with lesser gains means more Roth space at the same standard of living

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Found this article that is pertinent to this thread, regarding so-called Exchange Funds that allow one to exchange an individual stock for a diversified portfolio fund. But there are major drawbacks, such as no liquidity for the life of the fund. :shock:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarot ... 4421654e19

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

5MM in my taxable account. 50% is in vwiux and swoxx. Rest in spy, DIA and qqq. Some in FB, Amzn, googl and Twtr. About 15% of total is unrealized capital gains. Age 58.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 pm

I am not sure how much of a problem it is at all as long as you don't need to sell your taxable assets if you have mutual funds or etfs.

Individual stocks except maybe Berkshire are a bit more problematic.

I have significant unrealized capital gains but my plan always was to just collect the dividends. The kids will inherit the assets and can get a stepped up cost basis on the individual stocks and will likely roll that into a broad based index/etf.

I think the taxdeferred space is far more problematic and plan to convert that to ROTH status once I theoretically retire from working for wages.

ProfLA

Post by ProfLA » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 am

I have also been curious about this.

I'm 52. 26% unrealized capital gains in taxable. Have 12k in carryover capital loss.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 am

I'm 61 and have 40% of my non-tax sheltered assets in unrealized capital gains and 0 capital loss carryover.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 am

As a 55-year-old early retiree, my taxable holdings are tilted toward bonds (bond funds). I still have about 11% of that account as unrealized cap gains.

basspond

Post by basspond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 am

I have been saving equities for over 30 years so my % is off the charts. I have factored in my taxes, it will be a chunk but least we forget I would rather pay later then pay as you go and loose a lot of my holdings. Plus they are generating dividends and capital gains as we go.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 am

45%. I plan, and will be able, to hold them until my heirs get a stepped up basis.

Problem solved for me. Not so much for many others.

uncaD

Post by uncaD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:07 am

30% of taxable is unrealized gains, $0 in loss carryover

northtexan

Post by northtexan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 am

I am 25 and have about 7% of unrealized capital gains in my taxable account. I take advantage of tax gain harvesting since I am in the lower tax brackets and pay 0% on LTCG. As someone has mentioned already about the tax deferred retirement fund like 401k and the gains adding up and hen being taxed as income. I feel this is the most under talked about topic. Many love to talk about contributing to those types of accounts. I love my RothIRA, if you are in the lower tax brackets this is the single biggest advantage to FI in the long term. Being able to put untaxed earnings into it to earn untaxed gains is th best situation one could have.

glensos

Post by glensos » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:41 am

2 Core Funds US and World with 140% Unrealized Gain.

$500,000 Gain and have already used up Capital Losses

Plan on staying in 12 % Bracket to pay Zero Federal Tax - will have to pay a small amount of California State Tax

Pretty happy with this outcome at age 58

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm
Many people have a lot of room in early retirement to take capital gains at a 0% tax rate. Others plan to hold the largest gains until death so their heirs get a stepped-up basis. Others donate the holdings with the largest gains. So even knowing what percent are unrealized gains, everyone's assets would still be discounted at a different rate. It might shed a little light on one's finances, but with large error bars.
Ding, ding, ding. How to realize capital gains at 0% rate should be key part of anyone's plan who is retiring early.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am

Luckywon wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Why haven't you used that $25K to offset part or all of your 19.7% of unrealized capital gains if this is a concern for you? Although it probably has more value offsetting ordinary income $3K at a time.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

fposte

Post by fposte » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 am

It's about 40% for me; I've been shedding long-held individual stocks for the last few years but there are still quite a few left. I'll get a pension, so no 0% capital gains interlude, and Roth conversions are going to take quite a while on top of that. But that's just the price of good fortune, so I'll pay it.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am

Why haven't you used that $25K to offset part or all of your 19.7% of unrealized capital gains if this is a concern for you? Although it probably has more value offsetting ordinary income $3K at a time.
Correct. My thinking is it will be better used to offset ordinary income at $3k per year or to offset gains from rebalancung in my taxable account if necessary at some point.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Ding, ding, ding. How to realize capital gains at 0% rate should be key part of anyone's plan who is retiring early.
I have 16% in taxable brokerage. Next year, I have little taxable income, so I may do some gains harvesting.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am

46% of market value (and 3% in unrealized losses). Individual stock portfolio, positions acquired from 2006 to present.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am

I'm 34, fairly new to tracking all of this data.

I've got roughly $500k invested in taxable, and roughly 12% of that (59k) is unrealized cap gains. I have recently sold off individual stocks and some other random ETF's in an effort to simplify. Some of those were sold at decent gains.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am

They say nothing is certain except death and taxes, but with a stepped up basis it is death OR taxes for appreciated assets. For the record my unrealized gain represents 30% of taxable. I disregard when calculating net worth since I control whether I sell, die with it or donate the appreciated assets. On the other hand I subtract deferred taxes on my IRA (less the amount I intend to make as charitable distributions) since there is no way to avoid those taxes and they have already been incurred from an accounting standpoint.

DA200

Post by DA200 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Age 51/50
Taxable holdings of 1.96M, 27% of that is unrealized capital gains ($529K).
$35K loss carryover.
With a pension, we will not be in 0% capital gains bracket during retirement. I'll be happy to take my pension and pay the 15% tax on realized gains. Will probably hold to death or donate AMZN bought in 1999 (98% of it is unrealized gains)

FireAway

Post by FireAway » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

55 and retired. 28% of my taxable is unrealized gains. No carryover.

I'm spending the next few years trying to 'realize' some of that in the 0% tax bracket. Unfortunately that means postponing Roth conversions until later.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

northtexan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 am
I am 25 and have about 7% of unrealized capital gains in my taxable account. I take advantage of tax gain harvesting since I am in the lower tax brackets and pay 0% on LTCG. As someone has mentioned already about the tax deferred retirement fund like 401k and the gains adding up and hen being taxed as income. I feel this is the most under talked about topic. Many love to talk about contributing to those types of accounts. I love my RothIRA, if you are in the lower tax brackets this is the single biggest advantage to FI in the long term. Being able to put untaxed earnings into it to earn untaxed gains is th best situation one could have.
In your case you may want to look at the ROTH 401K if your plan has that option.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Age 41.

17.0% of taxable account is unrealized capital gains. Zero loss carry-over.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
+1. i-ORP gave me a plan where I pay no taxes on my unrealized cap gains which are about 20% of my taxable account. It also showed me how to convert all of my 401k @ 12% fed tax before I hit RMD's. Considering my current cap gains tax is 24% and my marginal income tax rate is 40% (federal+state), that is quite the savings.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Age 56; 21.4% of taxable accounts are unrealized capital gains. Zero loss carry-over.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm

It’s true that an investor should always factor in taxes on investments and capital gains would be no exception. However, I’m trying very hard to imagine what relevance your poll could possibly have. There are too many variables and I don’t know how it could possibly be helpful.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 pm

My capital gain on equities in the taxable account is 56% of the portfolio - and I am going to do my level best to work off a 6 figure capital loss at 3K per year against ordinary income. I am only going to have to live another 35 years.

But really, I don't see a problem here. If I needed to spend some extra money, I have some tax lots with lower percentage gains. And assuming an average capital gain the tax cost on a $1,000 sale would be 1000*.56*15 = $84. If I took the same amount from my traditional IRA, the tax cost would be $240.

I am glad I figured out a long time ago that to the extent possible, equities belong in taxable.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm
It's true that an investor should always factor in taxes on investments and capital gains would be no exception. However, I’m trying very hard to imagine what relevance your poll could possibly have. There are too many variables and I don’t know how it could possibly be helpful.
OP here and I am realizing too that the requested data without the context of a more complete financial picture in each case does not have the applicability that I imagined.

What led me to devise the question and poll was my frustration that although unrealized capital gains (or losses) may be an important variable in many portfolios, that information is usually not included in posts in this forum. I am thinking especially of portfolios presented with the question "Do I have enough to retire." I hoped that the answers to my questions might provide some framework for what is typical in portfolios for any given age. However, I would agree now that seems not to be a practical extrapolation.

As I mentioned, I think it would be helpful to see this information routinely included in portfolios presented here for evaluation. Of course, as pointed out by otheres above, there are many variables that potentially affect taxes due on capital gains. Nevertheless, it is part of the picture and in some cases an important point for discussion when considering a specific portfolio.

I also posed my questions because I am curious to know how my own figures "stack up" compared to people of similar age to me. When I see portfolios here with similar total value to mine I wonder whether they may actually be very different due to this issue. In this sense, the question I asked and answers provided have given me some insight into this and I hope more people do respond.

Many have provided detail on how they have arrived at the position they are in with respect to capital gains, and shared their strategies to minimize capital gains taxes. Thanks very much to those who shared those interesting details. It's always fun to see what unexpected pearls show up in any discussion here.

Finally (this may be too ambitious or presumptious so apologies in advance), perhaps at least this thread may raise awareness of this issue here and I for one would be very happy if more people include this data in the future, for example when presenting their portfolios with the question "do I have enough to retire".

Again thanks to all those who responded and any who respond going forward. Artsdoctor, I appreciate very much your regular and consistently excellent contributions here. Many are of particular interest to me as I too am in California.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 pm

I have about 50% capital gains in taxable, with the largest chunk in my stock holding even though that (now) makes up less than half of my taxable account. My plan for the stock is to gradually use the old shares with the lowest cost basis to fund my DAF and to sell off the newer shares with the higher cost basis in years when it makes tax sense.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm

I am not sure because I have more than one taxable account and am too lazy to do the math. On the largest one, though, about 14.5% is currently taxable gains.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 am

Lucky,

I have always been curious as to what others do when it comes to financial planning. Originally, my curiosity was spurred by my attempts to make sure that I was on the right track.

Eventually, I realized that comparisons were not helpful at all. There are just too many variables out there and everyone's financial situation is completely different. Your question ostensibly pertains to taking taxes into consideration when planning for the future, whether it's nearby or years away. Being in California, you probably have caught onto the issues we have here with real estate; if you hold onto your property for decades, you're going to have capital gains well in excess of that $250,000/$500,000 floor when you sell that house. This one transaction can create a huge tax headache. Consequently, don't view your capital gains tally in a vacuum; it's not just about your portfolio capital gains, it's about ALL capital gains.

Also, we're in a community property state. When it comes to estate planning, spousal cost basis resets and carryover loss evaporation are completely different from those in non-community property states. Make sure you understand this.

When you're considering other people's finances, you'll eventually learn that they have virtually no bearing on your own. Keep your focus on your own goals and try to figure out how to get there. And above all, be adaptable.

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am

64% LTCG and I've been transferring my lowest cost shares to a donor advised fund.
Gill

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am

bradpevans wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm
I think this is very relevant- especially for planning expenses. It can have huge implications on Roth conversions in low income years. In those years the ability to extract sufficient money but with lesser gains means more Roth space at the same standard of living
YEP...

Many of us can't get giddy about selling equity with large gains in early retirement because we face the trade-off on the Roth conversion.

Those with post-retirement NUAs know this all too well.

I opted for the Roth so far, but people who will need funds from their taxable equity holdings to live have a harder decision to make.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am

65 yo, retired.
10% of taxable is unrealized cap gains.
But I was so busy working, I was not as invested in the market (taxable accounts) as I should have been; I was somewhat late to the boglehead party. Most of that gain has been in the past 4 or 5 years.
Also, my net worth hit the reset button about 18 years ago and most of my net worth growth has been since then.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Ron Scott wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am
bradpevans wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm
YEP...

Many of us can't get giddy about selling equity with large gains in early retirement because we face the trade-off on the Roth conversion.

Those with post-retirement NUAs know this all too well.

I opted for the Roth so far, but people who will need funds from their taxable equity holdings to live have a harder decision to make.
It’s odd - of course we want our accounts to grow. But when we withdraw from taxable, we prefer it all to be basis rather than gain. At least for taxes we do

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm

5%. I took a gain last year because I didn't work. I sold the etf and bought the same thing 15 seconds later. I paid zero Federal taxes on the $35k gain. I did have to pay state taxes on it though.

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:26 am

age of 61 and retired.
48% LTCG with 0 carryover in the taxable of ~ $700,000.
Converting 401K to Roth but the pension makes the space limited but I feel it is a good problem to have...

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 pm

24 percent

togb

Post by togb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 pm

About 35%. But I have always periodically sold individual stocks and equity EFTs/Funds to take profits. Sometimes it's offset by losses, sometimes I pay the capital gains-- but I like 15% LTCG way better than STCG or ordinary income tax.

Now I do have a rough idea of finding a way after retirement but before RMDs-- and probably before SS unless I do a big charitable contribution-- but find a way to be at such a low AGI that I can sell equities for 0% LTCG. I think I can do this with Roth money, but need to work out alternatives and settle on details. I think it could work, but til I do the math and chart it out, I don't know for sure.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 pm

I am 50. My taxable stock is about 50% unrealized gains, and only 6% of the portfolio could be sold without significant gains. I have about $60K in realized losses, mostly from 2008-2009, but also some from the international decline in 2012, and from 2016 in emerging markets.
Wiki David Grabiner

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I only own Total World (VT) in my brokerage. I already took my yearly LTCG so only what is growing in the ETF is possible unrealized. Disclaimer I have paid 0 federal income tax the last 3 years with about $90K in income. Age, FRA.

From Vanguards distribution page
Realized/unrealized gains
as of 05/31/2018

Realized capital gain/loss -$0.94
Realized capital gain/loss as a % of NAV -1.27%
Fiscal year end 10/31/2018
Unrealized appreciation/depreciation $14.66
Unrealized appreciation/depreciation as a % of NAV 19.74%

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:21 pm

scrabbler1 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 am
As a 55-year-old early retiree, my taxable holdings are tilted toward bonds (bond funds).
Can you explain this strategy? My taxable is 100% stocks and my tax-defered accounts have some bonds. Since gains in taxable are taxed at a usually lower rate than tax-deferred, I want my taxable to be more aggressive than tax-deferred.

TravelforFun

CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 pm

96% thanks to 22 years of holding COST and 19.5 years holding SIVB.

Kevin