My error with EIN on W2. Stand alone or IRS fix?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LeeMKE

My error with EIN on W2. Stand alone or IRS fix?

Post by LeeMKE » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 pm

I got a phone call from Social Security. It seems I used my SS# in 2016 on the W2 forms I sent in, and should have used the EIN I got for this purpose.

We had 2 household workers helping me at home when I was laid up that year. When I did the research of how to pay and report their earnings, it was confusing. I got an EIN, but later read that I should use my own SS# instead for household workers. So, I have no doubt the agent from Social Security is correct. In 2017, I filed correctly for the W2 worker I had at home.

The agent asked me to fax a "standalone W3c" to her. Which I did. I just printed out the form from the internet, filled it in and faxed it to her office.

ACTION NEEDED: The IRS website instructs me to file a set of forms, which were required to be mailed to me -- copies printed from the internet would not scan in their system properly. The forms arrived today. So, I'm wondering whether my filing the W-2c and W-3c are necessary or might interfere with the W-3c I already faxed to Social Security.

Hmm?
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.