Which Supermarket are you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WestUniversity

Re: Which Supermarket are you?

Post by WestUniversity »

Usually HEB. Once in a while Trader Joes and Whole foods...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:44 pm I’m probably an extreme outlier. I have plentiful options within walking distance, including Wal-Mart, but 98% of my meals come from daily drives to a nearby corner that includes Walgreens, Arby’s, and Taco Bell. I alternate fairly equally amongst the three.

My refrigerator is used exclusively to hold leftovers and frozen dinners. My stove hasn’t been used in months.
Wowza...
Attempted new signature...
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

This question seems familiar, there must have been a similar post.
Years ago I did some comparative shopping using our weekly grocery list and found out that Walmart was by far the least expensive store. Quality was about equal between stores, most items were national brands anyway or regulated by the state (milk). One chain here just improved appearance of their stores significantly, but we do not buy appearances, only groceries. I put those prices in an Excel spread sheet, and we go shopping mostly at Walmart since then.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Costco for wine and staples. Local butcher shop for meats. Local seafood place for fish and shellfish. Whole Foods to refill my growler with fresh draft beer and pick up whatever foods my wife wants me, as her yard boy (love that concept) to purchase. Good luck.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

ncbill wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 am Lidl opened here recently nearby.

And immediately became our "go-to" store.

Much better than the Aldi's which has been around for years, though, to be fair, Aldi's here is not in the best part of town.
We favor Lidl here in Germany too over Aldi which is our second choice. Honestly, the size the stores is what I like best. I like getting in and out of a supermarket in under 30 minutes. We were thrilled when Aldi opened just around the corner from our Florida condo a few years ago. Hope Lidl comes soon.
canderson

Post by canderson »

We pass six other grocers on our 15 mile drive to Wegmans every Friday night.

It is the best grocery store in this country.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

mish mash - kroger, target, costco, sams club and tom thumb in general...
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Measured by dollars spent, Stop & Shop because I manufacture spend there when visa gift cards get me gas points. Probably spend $30k a year on that nonsense.

Measured by groceries bought, Market Basket.

I buy by cost. If organic food thing costs $1 per pound and high insecticide infused plutonium enhanced food thing costs $0.99 per pound, I'm paying $0.99 per pound and happy to do so.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

Harris Teeter (regional Kroger subsidiary). I know where everything that I need is located in the store and get in and out fairly quickly while juggling a toddler. Plus I buy a lot of their sale items pretty regularly so the cost is fine.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Super Walmart is closest to us, then we also use Albertsons and Costco.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

-- Costco for vast majority overall and for all bulk purchases
-- Various Asian grocery stores for non-bulk produce purchases, seafood, and stuff that you can't get in Western markets
-- Local Safeway for convenience (best hours, shortest travel time) and random items where its cheapest

I never pay more for organic, non-GMO or anything where I can't taste the difference.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

I am not a Supermarket, lol.

We do most of our produce shopping at a chain called Fresh Thyme, staple shopping at Kroger, and bulk stuff from Costco. Minimal commute to any of the above so it all works out.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Giant

Mid-40’s
Championship0911

Post by Championship0911 »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm I'm an outlier as well. Buy almost all organic and non-GMO, locally grown, grass fed, raw, the whole enchilada. I have little control over what I eat at restaurants so I don't worry about it. I just try to do better at home.

I'd be Whole Foods all the way except the closest store is at least an hour away. So I shop at smaller local "health food" stores for the most part. I buy paper products at the local large chain.

Organic makes sense to me. GMO...well, it makes sense to me, but we won't really know the effects on our bodies for another 50 to 100 years.

The idea that GMO has been deemed "safe" is a ridiculous statement made by those who have no understanding of how research works. I'd rather not gamble it, especially since I believe that GMO farming is not good for farmers, farm workers, or the environment. It's really good for some large agri-businesses though. :happy
Agreed. My wife and I primarily buy organic and preferably locally grown food if possible. We do most of our shopping at Wholefoods, Wegmans and Costco. Also, we do take advantage of Green Chef at the moment and previously used Blue Apron for about a year. I do the majority of the cooking and I hate meal planning, so these services are worth it to me.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Jan/Feb mostly Fresh Direct; which delivers. Hate going to the grocery in the winter months.

Rest of the year
1. Fairway - local chain; good prepared foods
2. Costco - bulk and certain prepared foods
3. Fresh Direct - when I get lazy
4. Trader Joes - a few items I go there when not crowded.
5. Whole Foods - stop by from time to time.
6. Gracefully - local gourmet food store; to fill in

Game Changes:
Wegmans opening in 6 months - heard great things about their prepared foods
Trader Joes opening in 6 months about 2 blocks away.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Local chain a mile from me. Sometimes whole foods. I intend to look in at Aldi’s soon. And of course the local farmers market. I live in an inner ring suburb and have many options.

I shop for convenience and great looking produce. I am single, not mch storage somCostco is out. Walmart is not my cup of tea.
Wtlutz

Post by Wtlutz »

Wegmans
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 am All my produce and much of my meat comes from my neighborhood farmers markets. I occasionally go to Whole Foods, Giant Food, and Safeway for things I can't get at the farmers markets. I like my food to be very fresh, and pesticide free. I like my meat and eggs to come from pastured animals. I dislike industrial agriculture in all its forms. I buy organic and non-GMO as much as I can. The fewer ingredients on the label, the better.
We are similar.
Roughly in order: Local farmers market, Whole Foods, several specialty grocers (both online and local), Safeway / giant, Costco. Plus a little from my garden.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Guido’s, a two store market in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts. They contract out the meat to a local butcher, the seafood to a local purveyor, the deli and bakery to another local company. All this stuff is head and shoulders above supermarket quality. It’s more expensive, but there’s just the two of us and we deserve it. Plus, we don’t eat that much red meat any more. It’s chicken or sometimes pork. They also have a wine department which I believe is also contracted out. Their produce is as good as any farmers’ market. Their groceries are all from small companies.
For stuff like orange juice, half and half, Diet Coke, etc. it’s Big Y, a New England chain, or Price Chopper, a northeastern chain. Paper goods and the like we get from Amazon or Target. Occasionally we get some coffee (8 o’clock) and other odds and ends from Sam’s Club, which is an hour away, but near where I used to work and where all our medical providers are. BJ’s is closer, but I don’t like it. Costco is an hour the other way, wish it were closer, can’t justify joining.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Wegmans is my favorite. Price, selection, and the fact that they carry all of the other random things that you need on a daily basis. The Wegmans brand products are always great values. We aren't foodies but I could see foodies enjoying the variety of products offered. We recently moved further away from Wegmans and are going to Trader Joe's. Prices and quality seems good, and it's a small store so we are in and out quickly, but we now have to make another trip for random things like toiletries, baby food, etc.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Publix. In GA, when items are BOGO you can buy one and get it at half price. Varies by state, eg that does not happen in FL.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

The best grocery store in the USA...Wegmans
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I use the local supermarket. Never bought into the organic hogwash.

Plus, using my local supermarket gets me a small discount on gasoline.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Another endorsement of Wegman's, a Rochester, NY regional chain. Great selections that vary by the store, good store brand products of high quality, and like many markets today, lots of prepared foods, better than a fast food joint for a quick lunch on the go.

In my local store, they will custom roast your coffee for you from a selection of about 6 varieties. The coffee is so fresh I actually need to store it overnight before it is fit for brewing.

About GMOs... the big drive for their development is that they are immune to the large amount of poisons (herbicides mainly) applied to the ground, do you want to eat food that has been drenched in Roundup?

http://web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
AAA

Post by AAA »

Luis94r wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 am What supermarkets do you Boggleheads go to and do most of your grocery shopping. Do you believe in the Organic hype and only shop at Whole Foods or do you go to Trader Joes for the cheaper alternative?
Traders has a lot of organic items also, so it's not necessarily one or the other in that regard. For similar items, Traders is usually less expensive. For what they don't carry we use Whole Foods if out shopping brick and mortar. But we also use Vitacost online - large selection and good prices. I'd say we're roughly Traders 60%, Whole Foods 20% and Vitacost 20% for food items.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

canderson wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm We pass six other grocers on our 15 mile drive to Wegmans every Friday night.

It recently came to Natick, Mass., and I can’t disagree with you. I don’t shop there exclusively, but I often pass a much more conveniently located Roche Brothers.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 »

Aldi. So cheap and everything is pretty high quality. You have to try Moser Roth dark chocolate with sea salt. It is delicious.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Hy-Vee (regional high-quality chain), Trader Joe's, Target.

Hy-Vee has prices nearly on par with Target, but much better quality. Their produce, bakery, and deli are all top notch.

IMO, there are only certain products that are worth buying organic. Fruit, cow's milk, certain vegetables, etc.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Publix for us, along with some things from Costco.

The stores are clean, employees are friendly and helpful, and prices are fine, considering their frequent BOGO deals. Their private label products do not disappoint, every bit as good as the major labels, IMHO.

A Publix founding family member hosted a get acquainted gathering of all the students who were offered scholarships to the small private college my oldest daughter attended. At the time (mid 1990ties) he was in the middle of a ten year donation pledge of $1,000,000/year. So I imagine my daughter will always shop there. She really wanted to catch on as an employee, but they pretty well promote from within. She is too deep into her career to start back near the bottom, again.

As well, Publix hires many disabled folks, finds a skill set that matches, and gives them a decent job where they are paid good wages, and treated with respect.

I have tried using Amazon for a couple of Whole Food products, but I don't see any value added.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Costco, Wegmans, Freshmarket and Whole Foods. Sometimes Shoprite. I tend to buy organic when possible and prices similar.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

We are not faithful to any particular supermarket and switch it up a lot. In approximate decreasing order of how often we end up shopping at each:

* Safeway
* Lotte (Asian market)
* Giant
* Fresh Market (similar to Whole Foods)
* Great Wall (Asian market)
* Dawson's Market (local, similar to Whole Foods)
* Trader Joe's

Had a Costco membership for a couple years in the past and could not stand shopping there, mostly due to the very long lines during prime shopping time. We live in a small house and don't have the space to store most of the jumbo size products that last several months, and really we get close to the same if not better unit price at the Asian Markets anyway in a more manageable size.
Franklint

Post by Franklint »

I too am in the Cleveland area and am a devout Heinen's shopper for groceries, produce, meats, etc. They have earned my business and $$ with their customer service, quality, and local roots. I also perceive that they take care of their employees better than other stores.

I shop a little bit at Target (not for food) and a local discount chain called Marc's for staples and consumer products (soap, cleaning products, etc.)
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Kroger
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

Sprouts

Good quality produce and meat, great prices, no loyalty program / club card required, and good employees.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Walmart
Publix

:D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist »

Too many to name really. Every store has some competitive advantage over the others.

Costco for all the bulk things: paper products, my addiction to carbonated water (must be the German in me), frozen things/things that freeze well: meat, berries, bread etc

Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Jimbo's (SD local natural foods chain): "alternative foods" to deal with dietary restrictions, really just my whey allergy. The number of things that have added dairy for no reason but to stretch and cheapen food is so stupid but at least vegans/Paleo people have that covered more and more so today, much nicer now than 30 years ago when my mom was trying to figure out how to feed me! Lucky me being part of the .1% of people who don't outgrow a childhood whey allergy!

Kroger, Safeway for things that don't fit into the above.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am Publix for us, along with some things from Costco.

The stores are clean, employees are friendly and helpful, and prices are fine, considering their frequent BOGO deals. Their private label products do not disappoint, every bit as good as the major labels, IMHO.
Every time I visit Florida, I've found Publix to have great quality and customer service, but their prices are quite high, compared to what I'm used to in the Midwest. Maybe I'm shopping wrong there. Is there some type of customer loyalty card that gives a discount?
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Trucchis
Market Basket
AAA

Post by AAA »

Luis94r wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 amDo you believe in the Organic hype and only shop at Whole Foods or do you go to Trader Joes for the cheaper alternative?
I don't believe in the "pesticides are good for you" hype.
mancich

Post by mancich »

canderson wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm We pass six other grocers on our 15 mile drive to Wegmans every Friday night.

+1 I wish they were in our area, they are wonderful stores. Not necessarily the cheapest, but IMHO, definitely the best. Their produce, meat, fish, bakery, etc are outstanding. That being said, we shop at Shoprite (produce, meat, etc), Wal-Mart Supercenter (center store/health and beauty aids), and BJ's (meat, paper products, etc). Though not all in the same week; depends on what we need. :beer
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Even though it is a short walk, we spend the least at Publix, mainly 2 for 1 specials and fill ins like orange juice
Costco & BJs (once every 4-6 weeks) and the local farmers market (every week) are prime sources
Just the two of us; besides eating out a lot we get prepared dinners and specialties from TJs (also stock up about every 4-6 weeks).
Avoid the bulk foods at Costco & BJs except now that many frozen fish products - prepared and raw - come sealed in individual pouches we will get those. Aldis is slowly moving into our area and will give them a try once they get closer
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
MJW

Post by MJW »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm The responses in this thread (when there are enough of them) should likely end up representing the market share of each of the supermarkets in the US.
Which would suggest that we should shop at these stores in proportion to their....wait for it.....market weight.

Any other approach is an active bet that suggests one thinks one knows something the market does not.

All in a good Monday.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Costco and Krogers. When I retire later this year I will branch out a bit, adding in Sprouts Farmers Market for produce and going to a farther away Kroger's as the close/convenient one we mainly use now attracts lots of lower income shoppers and is stocked accordingly.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Hannaford, a northeast chain, because of nearness. 1 hour trips to Trader Joe for wine, nuts, and so on every few weeks. Local eggs from a local health food store, always. I make an effort to avoid GMO foods, and prefer organic when the price is not way higher - and it depends what the nature of the food is. So I end up eating some GMO food, and plenty of non-organically raised food, but I don't brag about it.

When I was in the Boston area I really liked the Market Basket in Somerville; never seen anything like it. 18 or 20 registers going full blast all the time, each with their own bagger; employees stocking shelves in every aisle. Excellent selection and prices. Their sales volume must be staggering.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Costco - I never shopped here until I started working for them in 2013 and got a free membership. I recently left because their IT department is a terrible mess but I adore the company so I rejoined as a regular member. I shop there about once a month or less for non-perishables, paper & cleaning products, and frozen food. I don't usually buy perishable items (other than apples) because it's just two of us and we can't consume it fast enough. Now that I'm not right across the street from a warehouse anymore I may buy my stuff online instead.

Fred Meyer (Kroger) - I used to work for Kroger IT back in Ohio and loved them so I buy my weekly grocery needs there, especially perishables.

Asian/Indian Grocery stores - I cook a lot of asian/indian food so I will go to these once in awhile to stock up

Amazon, etc - I don't usually shop for groceries online but have purchased 1-2 things a year that I can't find easily nearby

My garden - I try to grow as much of my own food as possible though have slacked the last 2 years.

Baked goods/desserts - make it all myself!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Glockenspiel wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:16 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am Publix for us, along with some things from Costco.

Every time I visit Florida, I've found Publix to have great quality and customer service, but their prices are quite high, compared to what I'm used to in the Midwest. Maybe I'm shopping wrong there. Is there some type of customer loyalty card that gives a discount?
I think pricing is local. Might be higher in "touristy" areas. No loyalty program, but occasionally they offer a $50 gas card for $40, one can be bought for each $50 you spend in groceries. Publix definitely has some higher prices, but well worth it in our case. Now if we were feeding four teenagers with voracious appetites, might make it worth shopping elsewhere to save a few bucks.

Wife worked as a head cashier at Winn Dixie when we first hit the west coast of Florida, but she won't set foot in any of their stores, as they just don't measure up to the standards Publix exhibits.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Piggly Wiggly
Funding secured
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I go where the deals are within reason. Never Whole Foods. I go to Aldi, Costco and other local chain stores (occasionally hit Asian and Mexican local stores) depending on the sales and what I need that week. I have many grocery stores within a mile or two of me. The market here is quite competitive. I won't run around to 5 stores in a day to save a few bucks, but try to hit the one or two in a week that have the best deals. A mile from me there are three grocery stores literally in a row so that helps.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmw

Post by hmw »

We don't have a lot of choices where we live. No whole foods, or Costco.

We mostly buy at HEB. Occasionally at Market Street which is owned by Albertsons.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Costco and Giant Eagle.