What are your hobbies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sasquatch

What are your hobbies?

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 pm

I did not want to derail the thread “Life in retirement-what did you do today?” So I started another to drill down on hobbies.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251415&p=3975855&h ... y#p3975855

I am happy I left my job for ER. However, I worked so much at my job I did not develop much in the way of hobbies. I do alpine skiing in the winter, ATV riding in the summer and exercise daily but that still leaves a bunch of time to fill. We will do some domestic travel in our RV in short durations of less than one month at a time. No desire for international travel at this time.

What hobbies fill your day?

mrgeeze

Re: What are your hobbies?

Post by mrgeeze » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm

deep sea fishing
guitar playing
wood turning
furniture building
travel
birding
hiking
boating (sail and power)
cooking

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Cooking is the most practical skill/hobby to me. Watching the cooking channel and reading menus in different cities is great to get new ideas. I'll usually tweak a recipe to how I like it once I've made it a few times.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Photography,
Golf
Tinkering with technology,,computers,,etc
Reading
Exercising.
Volunteering

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Since retiring about 4 years ago I have been able to get involved with the local fossil club. I'm not as diligent about formal learning as many of the other members, but I am gradually picking up an education in paleontology and geology -- more by osmosis than studying. Trips with my new friends to search for fossils is a great perk -- even in those situations when we can't keep what we find. Also learning to prepare fossils.

Taking classes to renew my French language skills. (Almost back to where I was 25+ years ago.)

My newest hobbies seem to be about education (self-improvement?) and all contribute to my major hobby in retirement: TRAVEL.
I'll soon be traveling to the Bay of Fundy in Canada where I expect to learn about (and take photos of) local fossils and where I may get to use my French a bit. Then later in the year I'll go back to France for a few weeks of language lessons and a home stay.

telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm not retired yet but I can tell you what I wish I was doing with my time rather than dumping 75% of it into megacorp ...

- spending time with my daughter and wife
- spending time with extended family and friends
- playing and making music
- fishing
- repairing vintage motorcycles and amplifiers
- woodworking
- renovating the house
- building things
- exercising
- learning something out of curiosity and not necessity
- gardening
- helping others
- traveling
- learning how to weld
- learning how to turn wood
- build my first electric guitar from scratch
- build my first acoustic guitar from scratch
- learn how to professionally tune pianos
- learn a second language.

Damn. I had to stop myself. I think retirement is going to be awesome!

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:33 pm

exercise (walking 4+ miles/day, weights, stretching)
dog
classical guitarist
dabble in piano
home repair (hate to call it a hobby, but so much time....)
gardening
photography
technology (pc's and devices, software and hardware)
shooting sports
reading

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I have zero hobbies now. But I have many pending :)
We do travel though. And I recently started using my Rebel DSLR for travel photos which I LOVE
investing and reading about it here

pending:
Golf
travel
photography
learning foreign languages
becoming a father at some point
reading books
skiing
biking
sailing
canoeing
running
playing with dog
guitar
being smart with finances and learning to invest

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm

— reading
— classical music
— fountain pens
— cooking
— walking
— European travel
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Playing with my kids
Landscaping
Hunting local and out of state
Working out
Hiking

Reading about and youtubing all of the above

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm

In no particular order:

Naps :D
Bogleheads forum
Studying investment finance and keeping up on the R/E market.
Photography (professional)
Guitar, ukulele, music
ATV exploring, marksmanship, prospecting
Fixing up our mini-ranch and home, building.
Corresponding Globally with paper and Fountain Pens
Reading
Spending time with kids n grandkids n friends
Some golf
Road trips with DW

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Biking
Hiking
Reading

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:12 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm
My newest hobbies seem to be about education
You may be interested in these resources:
1. Coursera course "Learning how to learn" https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
2. Scott Young has written some excellent articles about learning. His web site has a lot of information; this page helps to sort it out: https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/browse/
3. Book "How we learn" by Benedict Carey offers some counter-intuitive suggestions based on recent research.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:38 pm

We moved to our new home in September last year and started planning workshop space. Our buildings are finally getting built. DH is very much into automotive work and metal fabrication so he will have a space for that. I took up software development, gardening, and small scale robot design a few years ago so I don't need as much space, but I still like having something separate from the house. All in all, we are adding approximately 1200 sq ft in workshop space. The garden goes in after that.

Future projects include designing and building a fitness path on our property, kind of like the ones you find in public parks, but on a smaller scale. Re-landscaping the property near the house with rock and native plants for erosion control.

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Anybody else around here play pickleball?

It's a great sport for people of all ages and levels of athletic ability and can be highly addictive. I play regularly with a pretty athletic group, mainly in their 40s and 50s, with a few younger and older. I'm a pretty athletic guy, and after playing pickleball for about 4 years, I am nowhere near having mastered it. Compared to tennis, the winning pickleball strategy is much different, it requires much less running but you still get a decent workout, and the number of shots per point is quite a bit higher, which makes it a lot of fun.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:45 pm
Anybody else around here play pickleball?

It's a great sport for people of all ages and levels of athletic ability and can be highly addictive. I play regularly with a pretty athletic group, mainly in their 40s and 50s, with a few younger and older. I'm a pretty athletic guy, and after playing pickleball for about 4 years, I am nowhere near having mastered it. Compared to tennis, the winning pickleball strategy is much different, it requires much less running but you still get a decent workout, and the number of shots per point is quite a bit higher, which makes it a lot of fun.
Thank you for your post! Our park system offers pickleball classes, but I have been ignoring them. Now I think I should try one.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm learning to sketch, draw, and paint. I like graphite, and water soluble graphite, too.
I do not use pastels due to the dust. Charcoal, minimally, occasionally. Charcoal dust is heavier.
I don't use solvents with oil paint, just generally walnut oil.
I'm beginning to like watercolor, but tend to use it as I do oil paint.
I also do not use crayons (crayola type) but use watercolor crayons and pencils, oil pastels and oil bars at times... they are not the same.
I find some stuff in thrift stores, garage sales, end of year college sales, etc senior communities ( :happy )..
There is a learning curve, but lots of free info on the internet.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Good to see a variety of interests represented here. How I spend my vanishingly small amount of free time in grad school:

- Classical music
- reading current events, economics, finance, and politics
- reading classics
- playing piano
- being a Linux developer
- bicycling
- reading academic finance papers
- fountain pens (still need to get into correspondence)

And most importantly:
- dancing Argentine tango. Traveling to new cities and places for this.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 pm
I did not want to derail the thread “Life in retirement-what did you do today?” So I started another to drill down on hobbies.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251415&p=3975855&h ... y#p3975855

I am happy I left my job for ER. However, I worked so much at my job I did not develop much in the way of hobbies. I do alpine skiing in the winter, ATV riding in the summer and exercise daily but that still leaves a bunch of time to fill. We will do some domestic travel in our RV in short durations of less than one month at a time. No desire for international travel at this time.

What hobbies fill your day?
My days are too full. But as a suggestion, how about volunteering for Meals on Wheels?

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm
In no particular order:

Bogleheads forum
Guitar, ukulele, music
Reading
Some golf
Road trips with DW
Are you retired?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:12 pm
GerryL wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm
My newest hobbies seem to be about education
You may be interested in these resources:
1. Coursera course "Learning how to learn" https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
2. Scott Young has written some excellent articles about learning. His web site has a lot of information; this page helps to sort it out: https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/browse/
3. Book "How we learn" by Benedict Carey offers some counter-intuitive suggestions based on recent research.

Victoria
I have considered online learning, but I am a bit of a hermit and look for hobbies/activities that motivate me to engage with people face-to-face. One of my top priorities in retirement, right after "stay healthy," is "be socially engaged." I recognize I have to work to avoid becoming socially isolated.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 pm

JHU ALmuni wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm
In no particular order:

Bogleheads forum
Guitar, ukulele, music
Reading
Some golf
Road trips with DW
Are you retired?
Yep.
Have to be with that much "napping" going on. :oops:
aloha
jim :D

brandy

Post by brandy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:05 pm

I have considered online learning, but I am a bit of a hermit and look for hobbies/activities that motivate me to engage with people face-to-face. One of my top priorities in retirement, right after "stay healthy," is "be socially engaged." I recognize I have to work to avoid becoming socially isolated.

Your local area may have an assortment classes or groups. Here we have college, private, art school, as well as loosely knit groups. Google art groups your area. There are a couple of online art forums that provide instruction in almost anything. WetCanvas is one.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Golf
Reading
Visit Saint Vincent Depaul clients
Exercise
Travel to see family
Help elderly parents
Respond to random situations that present themselves
Make and drink lattes

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Automotive repair (racecar building) and driving said racecar at high performance driving events.

Most fun I have had since I was 10 driving my first go-cart. A bit more expensive though......
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:44 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm
If there is an improv, standup or storytelling class near you, I highly recommend it.

Victoria

Post by 2015 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

I can't call my working out a hobby. It's been the equivalent of almost a spiritual practice for at least a couple decades. My sense of connection with my physicality and my own presence during weightlifting feels like something akin to a sense of transcendence. It's like I'm no longer there but still there physically taking the actions. During an interview with Tim Ferriss, Arnold Schwarzenegger described how his weightlifting is meditative for him as he uses his mind to actually get inside the muscle. After beginning that practice myself, I was amazed at the even deeper connection to the experience I attain while exercising.

I'm also not sure if reading is a hobby per se, but I get no greater sense of fulfillment than reading, studying, reflecting, capturing, taking action, and as a result creating something outside of myself that wasn't there before (to that end, Cal Newport's work never ceases to inspire me and I can't wait to read his two new books). Lately I've begun to wonder if I'll be always be engaging in transformation and creation through some form of project management for the duration of my retirement. Is that a hobby? I couldn't say.

I do absolutely agree the greatest hobby of all time is the nap.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Genealogy
Travel to ancestral villages and meet more relatives each time
Volunteer to work at our church carnival
Go to Bible study group
Collect old wooden jigsaw puzzles
Native plant enthusiast-propagate and plant in the front (no lawn)
Volunteer at plant sales
Trying to make a Japanese garden in the back yard, first need new fencing and paths
Collecting info for a genealogy website I want to build
Photograph cemeteries
Volunteer to give genealogy talks
Volunteer on election days to run a precinct
Walking, especially when doing local errands
Volunteer on a city commission that meets quarterly

Activities I did earlier in retirement but have not done for a few years:
Survey sites for potential shelters for the Red Cross
Take Red Cross training so I could be deployed in a disaster (but then I'd hurt my back or have an event scheduled so I couldn't go)
Prepare taxes for low income and elderly (our nearby site makes appts for clients but most did not need to file. So then I sat there bored for 29 minutes until the next appt arrived)

ytm

Post by ytm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 pm

rowing my boat gently down the stream

Socrates28

pickleball - awesome!

Post by Socrates28 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I am going to try that. I was an avid tennis player as a teen and early 20s, but age and back issues have hindered my play.

Many thanks!!!!

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 pm

(1) Helping Dear Wife with whatever she tells me to do, but that is okay since she is a better tightwad than I am.
Everything else:
Leisure
Napping in a recliner
Reading a book cover to cover in one day. Didn't know that was possible, prior to retirement.
Exercise
Helping others, just because I can, but I tell them that I only do one good deed a year, and that it is good to get it out of the way.
Backpacking with ultralight gear keeps my weight down, but that lead to my volunteer job
which is hiking trail maintenance in a remote area.
Cooking since I do enjoy eating.
Reading at Bogleheads
Sleeping as late as I choose is now my favorite morning hobby.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Cycling.
Yoga and pilates.
Working on and riding classic BMW motorcycles.
Helping DW with her art projects.
Poking at our investment portfolio, and then having the good sense to (mostly) leave well enough alone.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Grandchildren
Guitar
Bike repair (regular volunteer for a couple organizations)
Biking and running
Romance Languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and French)
Boglehead's Steering Committee (Minnesota)
Genealogy
Fishing (We have a lake cabin and I admit I do more handyman maintenance work than fishing :wink: )

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 am

Mid fifties but not retired. No real hobbies at the moment (besides this website and dabbling in Personal finance). Most of extra time relates to teenage kids and other domestic chores between jobs.

Things I might like to do in retirement:

Try to get back on regular exercise regimen
Possibly become involved with Masters Swimming
Some travel, both domestic and international.
Finding something that keeps me mentally engaged and productive (and maybe earn modest income)
- teach a community college class in accounting/finance /economics
- find some way to help small businesses in some sort of financial consulting fashion
- helping others prepare tax returns
Find some sort of volunteer work
Read more books
Maybe take another shot at golf? I suspect not.

How many of these will I actually get to? That remains to be seen.

hfj

Post by hfj » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 am

Cycling, piano, and soccer. I'm in my mid 40s, and I've been fortunate enough to be able to play in a twice a week noontime pickup soccer game pretty much my entire career. That's supplemented with an evening adult league games. Cycling is a good complement, and I sometimes integrate it with travel, doing organized rides in various places. Piano is one of those things where I stopped lessons as a kid, but started choosing and playing music on my own, and kinda wish I practiced more when younger.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

Gardening
Fishing
Cooking

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 am

I restore old stereo gear from the 60s and 70s. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, etc.

Lots of people under 40 have only listened to music on phones with earbuds. Their jaws drop the first time they hear music on a full sized system at room filling volume.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 am

2 people into fountain pens. Is this a thing? Reminds me of a schoolmate who used to shoplift Parker pens and proudly display his booty all lined up in his shirt pocket.

For me, my current hobby is photographing graves for Findagrave, creating profiles and connecting generations of dead family members. No kin to me.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 am

Home and auto repairs (practical as well, but I enjoy most repairs so long as I can take my time)
Boating - taking my slow pontoon boat around our lake
Travel - domestic & international
Sailing - usually on our friend's boat in the Med
Flying my small aircraft - often combined with travel
Charity flights - sometimes dog rescues, other times people traveling for medical treatment
Last edited by neilpilot on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:40 am

Since moving into retirement mode, my hobbies include:

Learning geology: Now taking upper-level undergrad courses after working my way through the curriculum.

Travel: This year, so far I have traveled to three continents and about 60 days on the road (or air). Have one more major trip scheduled that will take in another continent and about three weeks of travel. (N.B.: All this travel in 2018 is affecting my university studies...oh well.)

Exercise: I've always been focused on fitness, but retirement has given me more time. My weightlifting has shown substantial results. This week, an old lady called me "buff!" LOL.

Photography: Bought a new camera system, and took a bunch of pictures. Still have to decide on a processing system and get some of the wonderful pictures up on my walls.

Philanthropy: Been giving away more money compared to working/accumulation years. Amazing how many event invitations one gets once you give money to organizations. :)

Interests that need further development: As another poster has also disclosed, I too am not the most sociable person in the world. I miss the social aspects of my career, and have not figured out how to fully replace the daily interaction that I used to enjoy. I know that I need to find a volunteer activity about which I feel passionate, but I can't seem to find it. I guess I will need to just volunteer for something, and hope the passion develops.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 pm

I portray the lives of interesting women. I study theirs lives from birth to death. Then I write an interesting first person script about them. I study the clothing from that time and make/find a costume. On the first Saturday in November, I portray this woman at our local community center. We except donations at the door. With the proceeds going to our local scholarship fund for graduating Seniors. We call our group "Friends of Eleanor Roosevelt" because she is the first person I portrayed. So far I have portrayed Eleanor Roosevelt, Maria VonTrapp, Sacagawea and Carol Burnett. This year I will be portraying Dale Evans. Over the years, we have given $20,000 in scholarships.

I am a volunteer line dance instructor. I lead chair exercises and a walking program at our Senior/Community Center. I like to play cards and Mahjong. I have a nice garden to take care of. Lately, I have been trying to rid my diet of most carbs and adding fat back in. My kitchen has become a lab, testing new recipes. It's a fun hobby and tasty too. :D

Love my retirement.

Lily

Post by 2015 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Cruise wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:40 am

Interests that need further development: As another poster has also disclosed, I too am not the most sociable person in the world. I miss the social aspects of my career, and have not figured out how to fully replace the daily interaction that I used to enjoy. I know that I need to find a volunteer activity about which I feel passionate, but I can't seem to find it. I guess I will need to just volunteer for something, and hope the passion develops.
It may or may not work for you, but you might try a type of volunteer work where you're contributing in an area you feel strongly about. Something that's come naturally, almost invisibly, to me since very young is informally coaching others. For reasons I've yet to figure out, since retirement not only do more people than ever (often complete strangers) show up for this, but I've noticed I've gotten immensely better at it.

I don't consider it at all a hobby, but after retirement I expanded considerably my coaching of a high functioning individual on the autism spectrum with activities of daily living. This individual has grown brilliantly in the last few years, and it's been a source of great satisfaction (and enormous challenge!) for me. There isn't a spreadsheet, chart, graph, financial blog post, academic study or portfolio tinkering activity than can come close to the fulfillment I've experienced from seeing this individual thrive in new and previously unattainable ways. From my work with this individual, I've watched myself turn into an advocate for all individuals on the autism spectrum. Lately I'm thinking more and more this may naturally lead me into what my next retirement adventure will be.

It sounds trite, but you have everything you need inside you to find where you belong next. I sincerely hope you don't give up on finding it, because it may make this new phase the most fulfilling time of your life.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 pm
Cruise wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:40 am

It may or may not work for you, but you might try a type of volunteer work where you're contributing in an area you feel strongly about. Something that's come naturally, almost invisibly, to me since very young is informally coaching others. For reasons I've yet to figure out, since retirement not only do more people than ever (often complete strangers) show up for this, but I've noticed I've gotten immensely better at it.

I don't consider it at all a hobby, but after retirement I expanded considerably my coaching of a high functioning individual on the autism spectrum with activities of daily living. This individual has grown brilliantly in the last few years, and it's been a source of great satisfaction (and enormous challenge!) for me. There isn't a spreadsheet, chart, graph, financial blog post, academic study or portfolio tinkering activity than can come close to the fulfillment I've experienced from seeing this individual thrive in new and previously unattainable ways. From my work with this individual, I've watched myself turn into an advocate for all individuals on the autism spectrum. Lately I'm thinking more and more this may naturally lead me into what my next retirement adventure will be.

It sounds trite, but you have everything you need inside you to find where you belong next. I sincerely hope you don't give up on finding it, because it may make this new phase the most fulfilling time of your life.
Thank you for your thoughtful response and suggestions.

RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 pm

- Reading (news, finance, history and medicine)
- Hiking, camping and fishing
- Running and lifting weights
- Gardening
- Traveling
- Cooking
- Eating
- Smoking meat
- Music
- Learning new skills
- Being in the sunshine
- Being around people who enjoy life and have similar interests

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:28 pm

College football (roll tide!!!!). We also go to lots of other sporting events (no soccer of course). Most of our vacation time and budget is spent traveling and attending these sporting events. No interest in international travel at this point.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Two people into fountain pens....I am not but am beginning to collect old mechanical pencils, particularly those with advertisements from the 50's and 60's. My wife and I go to estate and garage sales and I usually pickup a few that are grouped into a bundle with old pens, pencils, etc for 50 cents.

Other hobbies and interests;
I read about 50 books per year.
Play guitar
Vegetable gardening
Bicycling during spring, summer, and fall.
YMCA for workouts during non biking times...stationary cycle and free weights.
Slide rule math - picked up a few slide rules and old math/trig textbooks and teaching (reteaching) how to use a slide rule for algebra and trig functions.
Astronomy - I have a ETX90RA telescope and use it for observing deep sky objects, primarily double stars and open clusters...plus planets, moon and globular clusters. I have had 31 sessions so far this year and am pretty much shut down for the summer.
Railroads - fascinated with the operations and post 1960 history of the rail industry.
Bird watching - backyard feeders....teaching granddaughters about different birds.
Personal finance - research and monitoring individual stocks plus mutual funds.

Might resume golf this summer with my wife.

Not sure what else I will do when I retire.

Ed

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:43 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 pm
Something that's come naturally, almost invisibly, to me since very young is informally coaching others.
I have benefited from your informal coaching. Your blog and book recommendations and comments in Bogleheads discussions are excellent.

Thank you,
Victoria

jakerm17

Post by jakerm17 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 am

Surfing
Kiteboarding
Brazilian jiu jitsu
Music
Pretty much anything going fast and/or having to do with the ocean or water

e-spice

Post by e-spice » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 am

Orchid growing
Beekeeping
Photography
Software Development / Home Automation

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am

I have toooo many hobbies. My biggest problem when I get to retirement will probably be prioritizing them.

* building/flying large scale (gas) radio control airplanes/helicopters
* Antique house restoration
* general house DIY, wodworking, etc
* DIY auto mechanic
* vintage stereo - have not done anything with this in ages
* ham radio - have the license but only dabbled
* building PCs, etc
* camping/hiking - again, haven't done much in ages
* reading sci-fi

My wife is heavily into gardening, baking, photography and travel.