Our interview with Taylor Larimore

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Our interview with Taylor Larimore

Post by Barry Barnitz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi:

As many of you are aware, Taylor Larimore has graced this planet for nine decades which includes seven decades of investment experience, a portion of which came before many of our youngest members were born. Recently, we at our affiliate blog asked Taylor some questions regarding his evolution as an investor. Taylor was gracious enough to respond:

Interview with Taylor Larimore: Taylor's investment journey.

Thank you Taylor,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven

stemikger

Re: Our interview with Taylor Larimore

Post by stemikger » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the link Barry!

Thank you Taylor!!

You are a voice of reason to the every man investor!! I appreciate you!!

Steve G
Last edited by stemikger on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Great link, "barry".
Thanks Taylor for the inspiration.

mahalo,
jim

snarlyjack

Post by snarlyjack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank You Taylor.

I agree you are the voice of reason
& it's much appreciated. :sharebeer

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks, Taylor and Barry, for an enjoyable interview. I look forward to reading the three-fund book, the latest in a great series of Bogleheads books. :thumbsup
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Jazzman

Post by Jazzman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 pm

I am very much looking forward to gifting Taylor's book to my grandchildren. Thanks for writing it, my friend.

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for the link. Oh, and Taylor, thanks for the new book. Can’t wait to read and to buy some giveaway copies.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:14 am

Although I have had minor disagreements with Taylor over the years, there is no one who posts here for whom I have more respect. He is consistent with his advice, and the vast majority of investors would benefit from following his advice. I can only hope to achieve the success that he has achieved. Furthermore, I hope that I am as lucid as he if I am fortunate enough to reach his age. Thanks Taylor for being the consummate gentleman and sage that you have been over the years.

DMW

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Nice interview!

South Florida Bogleheads are fortunate to have Taylor in our South Florida Local Chapter. We would like to invite all Bogleheads to our next local chapter meeting on Sunday, July 1, 2018, honoring Taylor and his new book. We plan for a nice book signing with Taylor and a discussion of the Three Fund Portfolio.

Please see our South Florida Local Chapter link for directions and updates on this meeting.

Munir

Post by Munir » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Taylor is not only an astute investor with great knowledge, but he is a true gentleman who has never made a rude comment about any other poster and treats all patiently and kindly. Thank you, Taylor, for being you.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you Taylor for all you have done for us over the years. The interview told your story well, your progress from a complicated portfolio recommended by your broker to a simple three fund portfolio. Best luck with your newest book.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Post by 2015 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Munir wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:20 pm
Taylor is not only an astute investor with great knowledge, but he is a true gentleman who has never made a rude comment about any other poster and treats all patiently and kindly. Thank you, Taylor, for being you.
A true role model for poor souls like me who could never match such greatness but can aspire to do so.

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks for the link to the interview and many thanks to Taylor; not only for his upcoming book, but for his kind, gentle and consistent advocacy (just like his mentor Jack!) to benefit the everyday investor.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 am

What strikes me about this interview is the timeline. Note that Taylor had 35 years of investing (1951-1986) under his belt before “seeing the light” and shifting his assets to Vanguard. And then it took more years before his market timing strategies failed to produce and his reading of Bogle on Mutural Funds moved him to consider passive investing via index funds. This is experience bought dear, and over the long haul.

Thankfully, Taylor has remained forward-looking, and is thankful for all that the last 25 years have delivered in terms of financial success and security. I’ve never heard/read of him expressing regrets over “what could have been” but for those 40 years in the investment wilderness. Instead, he has provided a stellar example of both staying the course and bypassing the potential regrets.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 am

Apart from the Three Fund portfolio and holding our collective hand during market collapses, Taylor makes other remarkable contributions that are not sufficiently acknowledged:
1. Taylor reads excellent books on finance and then posts summaries of their best points
2. Taylor, together with Mel, is a founder of the Bogleheads reunions
3. Taylor runs Bogleheads annual contests that I am particularly fond of (see my signature).

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 am
Apart from the Three Fund portfolio and holding our collective hand during market collapses, Taylor makes other remarkable contributions that are not sufficiently acknowledged:
1. Taylor reads excellent books on finance and then posts summaries of their best points
2. Taylor, together with Mel, is a founder of the Bogleheads reunions
3. Taylor runs Bogleheads annual contests that I am particularly fond of (see my signature).

Victoria
Well said Lady Victoria :beer

Peppers - winner of the 2013 Boglehead contest
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

PartIrish

Post by PartIrish » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Taylor Larimore has been a real inspiration to me on the financial planning side of life, but more important, he is a true gentleman online. Thank you, Taylor, for your extraordinary contributions to the well-being of others!

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm

PartIrish wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Taylor Larimore has been a real inspiration to me on the financial planning side of life, but more important, he is a true gentleman online. Thank you, Taylor, for your extraordinary contributions to the well-being of others!
x 100!
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.