Google voice in Europe

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortfun

Google voice in Europe

Post by fortfun » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

I know that Google voice will not ring my phone in Europe. However, does anyone know if I can still get messages directly at the Google voice site? My guess is yes but wanted to see if anyone has actual experience.

tev9876

Re: Google voice in Europe

Post by tev9876 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 am

A Google Voice number will ring to your phone anywhere you have a data connection if you are using the Hangouts app. I've used mine in Europe on both my Verizon SIM using their travel pass (which actually seems to VPN you to a US server) along with Irish and UK SIMs.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 am

I've occasionally connected to the Google Voice website from other countries without issue. You can do so from a laptop, public internet cafe (I would NOT recommend this though), a phone, etc. Nothing restricting GV as long as the Internet connection you are using lets you get to the website.

An alternative thought is if you want to get a temporary SIM that includes operations in Europe and adding that number to GV. I used FreedomPop before for this, but I am currently on Sprint with includes free global roaming (data and text), so this last trip I did nothing special.

CCD

Post by CCD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

IF you have data plan while in Europe you should receive calls to your phone via the Google Voice or Hangouts app, same for SMS (text) messages. If you don't it will still work while on WiFi to make and receive calls or messages. And as you mentioned you can also go to the website and do all of above including voice mail.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks everyone!

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am

Last few times I was in Europe I set my mobile number forwarded to google voice, and set do not disturb on google voice so I wouldn't get stray calls at night. If someone wanted to leave a message, I got a notification as long as I was on a wi-fi network.

Texts I just let go to my mobile number directly, I'm not a big texter and that was convenient for me.