Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Bfwolf
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Bfwolf » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 pm

One frustration I have when reading a thread is that after the original post, there might be a ton of discussion from other posters before the OP comes back with more information. Or sometimes the OP never comes back at all. And I am just reading pages of back and forth between everybody else, often only tangential to the OP's question. Or I'm stuck scanning pages of posts to see if the OP came back with more posts.

I would love if there was an option to just see the OP's posts on a thread.

PFInterest
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 01, 2018 2:36 pm

thats what a forum is....

dknightd
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by dknightd » Tue May 01, 2018 2:55 pm

It would be nice if the OP name could be made to stand out in some way, so we do not have to remember who the OP is ;)

PFInterest
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 01, 2018 3:00 pm

CTRL + F

Atgard
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Atgard » Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Yes, some forums highlight the original poster's later replies or have a little "OP" mark next to his name. Helpful. Not sure if that's a feature that can be enabled through this forum software?

N10sive
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by N10sive » Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Always forget about CTRL+F. I think that is the best solution as I don't believe these types of forums have the OP option in my experience.

rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by rec7 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

Just an idea how about making the OP box light red then it would be easy to know them by. The rest of us all have a blue box.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Topic Author
Bfwolf
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 pm

CTRL+F is an unhelpful option in my experience since it also pulls in all the posts that quote the OP. And sometimes there are multiple quotes from the OP in a single post. You can easily end up with 20+ "hits" with no actual OP posts.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm

After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3359
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by greg24 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.
This right here is the best solution.

User avatar
buccimane
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by buccimane » Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.
This right here is the best solution.
I think the best solution would be a slightly different color box, or an "OP" tag as stated above. CTRL-F, followed by a search is the only current solution. Hardly the best.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Topic Author
Bfwolf
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers
Good suggestion!

I'd still love a way to filter to just the OP posts but this is a good hack.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm

buccimane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm
I think the best solution would be a slightly different color box, or an "OP" tag as stated above. CTRL-F, followed by a search is the only current solution. Hardly the best.
Another forum I frequent, Flyertalk, introduced that feature a while ago and I find it very useful.

That said, AFAIK the admins/owners generally don’t customize/extend the software used for this site, so unless phpBB hasn’t this as a native feature that can just be turned on, I doubt that we will see it implemented.

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4652
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by CABob » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.
Thanks for this. I have used the CTRL-F feature but hadn't thought of putting the "by" in front so quoted postings are not flagged.
I also would prefer that the OP posts be color coded or some such to easily identify when going through a number of replies. I understand however that that may be problematic with the system used.
Bob

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Elsebet » Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm

I requested that feature in this thread but the mod wasn't supported by the forum software at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&p=2949042&hi ... r#p2949042
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Luckywon
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers
Fantastic solution for desktop and I can't wait to use it more. Unfortunately does not work on mobile browser, which is where I spend a lot of time browsing bogleheads. :annoyed

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers
Fantastic solution for desktop and I can't wait to use it more. Unfortunately does not work on mobile browser, which is where I spend a lot of time browsing bogleheads. :annoyed
It works on my iPhone if I turn my screen to landscape mode. This works because the page then displays the “by” in front of the posters name. In portrait mode it doesn’t. It works in either mode on my iPad mini due to the additional real estate I expect.

Give that a try on your device.

Cheers

Luckywon
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm
Luckywon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers
Fantastic solution for desktop and I can't wait to use it more. Unfortunately does not work on mobile browser, which is where I spend a lot of time browsing bogleheads. :annoyed
It works on my iPhone if I turn my screen to landscape mode. This works because the page then displays the “by” in front of the posters name. In portrait mode it doesn’t. It works in either mode on my iPad mini due to the additional real estate I expect.

Give that a try on your device.

Cheers
I have an Android device but I switched to desktop site within the page and then was able to use the find function effectively. I am all set! Thank you so much!!

Jacotus
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Jacotus » Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Some altruistic and enterprising developer could write a Firefox/Chrome extension to modify the CSS and highlight posts by the OP in some way. Alas, I do not have the skill.

MIretired
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by MIretired » Wed May 02, 2018 6:48 pm

You can also just go to the first post in the tread (the OP's), and click their username over to the right below avatar. Then on their page, click search user posts; and see the posts with the same thread title (as long as a reply by OP wasn't also a title change or changed to just "Reply", or something.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm
I requested that feature in this thread but the mod wasn't supported by the forum software at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&p=2949042&hi ... r#p2949042
The site owners have final say on mods, but the first step is to find something that will work. So far, I don't see anything supported by the phpBB community.

I agree this feature would be useful. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by wrongfunds » Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Is there ability to find all the topics started by a member? I know some of the forum software do have the ability to find all posts vs all topics started by a forum member. I really miss that ability on this forum.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm

The icon to the far-right of the forum's search box is a gear icon, which leads you to the built-in forum search engine. (Otherwise, the search goes to google.)

Search for keywords: (blank)
Search for author: wrongfunds <-- the member to search

Search in forums: (blank)
Search in subforums: Yes (doesn't matter for this forum)
Search within: First post of topics only <-- this is what you're missing

Display results as: Posts (your choice, but this will show the content)
Sort results by: (your choice)
Return first: All available characters of post (your choice, but this will show the full post content)

Search found 34 matches
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm
The icon to the far-right of the forum's search box is a gear icon, which leads you to the built-in forum search engine. (Otherwise, the search goes to google.)
Wonderful. Thank you LadyGeek.

I’ve used the generic google search often but this capability will be very useful.

Cheers

wrongfunds
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Search within: First post of topics only <-- this is what you're missing
THANK YOU!!

User avatar
dual
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by dual » Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Some points:
1. A browser search ctrl+F only works on the current page. It has to be repeated for multi-page threads.
2. My experience is that the google forum search is usually several days behind. Apparently they do not crawl the site very often. I do not have experience with the gear search to see how often it is updated. Also, does it allow google-like search options?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm

1. The top of every thread (below the menu header) has a "Search this topic" box. It should find what you need within the entire thread.
2. My experience is that posts show up on google within 10 minutes of a post. I have no idea when google decides to crawl the site, I may have been lucky. The gear (built-in) search is updating constantly, but I honestly don't know how recent the information is. I know it depends on the server workload, but I haven't dug into the details to figure out anything more than that. It doesn't support searching over time like google search does.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FoolMeOnce
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by FoolMeOnce » Mon May 07, 2018 5:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm
1. The top of every thread (below the menu header) has a "Search this topic" box. It should find what you need within the entire thread.
For me on mobile Chrome for Android, both mobile page and forcing the desktop version, this only searches post content and not the username. Using the forum search, as you suggested, is a good workaround.

But I would add my voice to the request for this feature, if ever possible, and being able to jump to the next post in the thread by the OP. In long, multi-page threads, sometimes I just want to see the OPs responses and updates.

IngognitoUSA
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 am

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by IngognitoUSA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 am

In any thread, can the original poster be highlighted in all replies. Makes it easier to know who op is.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

^^^ I moved your post into the on-going discussion.

As I noted previously:
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm
I requested that feature in this thread but the mod wasn't supported by the forum software at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&p=2949042&hi ... r#p2949042
The site owners have final say on mods, but the first step is to find something that will work. So far, I don't see anything supported by the phpBB community.

I agree this feature would be useful. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
I didn't forget.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Delayed, but not forgotten. The software has been updated, see: [Forum software update] Tracking the Original Poster in a thread
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks LadyGeek!

Cheers

Hockey10
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:04 pm

This is a nice enhancement. Having the red "Topic Author" label in the upper right corner has already made my reading easier today.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by GerryL » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Noticed. Love it. Thanks.

Dottie57
Posts: 5044
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks for the change

startwithtruth
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by startwithtruth » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks LadyGeek! Much easier than CTRL F on multi-page threads.

dknightd
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by dknightd » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Nice addition. Thanks

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Stinky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Excellent enhancement to the site. Thanks for doing it.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Topic Author
Bfwolf
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am

startwithtruth wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm
Thanks LadyGeek! Much easier than CTRL F on multi-page threads.
This is good enhancement. Thank you LadyGeek and team for implementing it!

Question: is the way of searching through all of the OP's posts on a thread (as opposed to CTRL F) just scrolling down and looking by sight to see if there's any red on the right hand side? CTRL F'ing "topic author" is probably faster than that. And still requires going through it page by page either way. I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread. I guess one can always click on the OP's name and see their posts, but if they've posted on other threads or it's an old post I'm not sure this will always be useful.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am
startwithtruth wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm
Thanks LadyGeek! Much easier than CTRL F on multi-page threads.
This is good enhancement. Thank you LadyGeek and team for implementing it!

Question: is the way of searching through all of the OP's posts on a thread (as opposed to CTRL F) just scrolling down and looking by sight to see if there's any red on the right hand side? CTRL F'ing "topic author" is probably faster than that. And still requires going through it page by page either way. I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread. I guess one can always click on the OP's name and see their posts, but if they've posted on other threads or it's an old post I'm not sure this will always be useful.
Ugh!

Cheers

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am
Question: is the way of searching through all of the OP's posts on a thread (as opposed to CTRL F) just scrolling down and looking by sight to see if there's any red on the right hand side? CTRL F'ing "topic author" is probably faster than that. And still requires going through it page by page either way. I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread. I guess one can always click on the OP's name and see their posts, but if they've posted on other threads or it's an old post I'm not sure this will always be useful.
"Topic Author" is part of the forum's style layout, so it's not in anything you can run a forum search on. Browser, yes. Forum (or google), no.

The only thing I can think of is to use the forum's built-in search engine (the "gear" in the top-right corner of the post) and do an author search. Then, select the forum you want to search in. It's not the answer you were looking for, but that's the best I can come up with.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:55 am

Nice to have this feature. Minor quibble: red is the color of moderators. A different color (green?), if implementable through configuration vs customization, might prevent my brain from triggering a “Red Alert: moderator is active in this thread” reflex when scanning the thread :twisted:

User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Oicuryy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am
I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread.
Still not quite what you want but this bookmarklet will remove all the posts on a page except those from the topic author.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){$(".post").not(":has(\".phpbb-showtopicauthor\")").css("display","none")})()
Ask Google how to install and run a bookmarklet in your browser. Tested only on Firefox and only on bogleheads.org. No warrantees.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

inbox788
Posts: 5769
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Oicuryy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am
Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am
I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread.
Still not quite what you want but this bookmarklet will remove all the posts on a page except those from the topic author.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){$(".post").not(":has(\".phpbb-showtopicauthor\")").css("display","none")})()
Ask Google how to install and run a bookmarklet in your browser. Tested only on Firefox and only on bogleheads.org. No warrantees.

Ron
Thanks!

Just tried it with Chrome and looks like it works so far.

It only show the author posts on the current page loaded, not all pages. Is there a way to show all message of a thread on a single page?

Don't know if I'll keep it, but thanks for the script!

libralibra
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by libralibra » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Looks like the software already handles this. I added an input field for "author" and it did the search perfectly. The resulting query was search.php?author=ladygeek&t=248472&sf=msgonly

The layout currently lets you search the topic on keywords, but it looks like author is already supported.
<input class="inputbox search tiny" type="search" name="keywords" id="search_keywords" size="20" placeholder="Search this topic…">
I just changed the field name from "keywords" to "author", typed the username in the "Search this topic" box and clicked the magnifying glass.

Which means some change to the layout is all that's needed, e.g. an extra input field or a selector to search on author vs keywords.

libralibra
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by libralibra » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm

ps. until the fix is put in, or if they choose not too, the workaround for you would be to type the userid in the topic search, click the magnifying glass, then on the resulting page edit the URL directly. Change "keywords" to "author" and hit Enter.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 pm

libralibra wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm
ps. until the fix is put in, or if they choose not too, the workaround for you would be to type the userid in the topic search, click the magnifying glass, then on the resulting page edit the URL directly. Change "keywords" to "author" and hit Enter.
Thanks for the hack. This works beautifully but does order the posts newest to oldest. I tested on the 10000+ post “US Stocks in Free fall thread” and it retrieved over 5 pages for a recently talkative member.

Cheers

libralibra
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by libralibra » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 pm
libralibra wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm
ps. until the fix is put in, or if they choose not too, the workaround for you would be to type the userid in the topic search, click the magnifying glass, then on the resulting page edit the URL directly. Change "keywords" to "author" and hit Enter.
Thanks for the hack. This works beautifully but does order the posts newest to oldest. I tested on the 10000+ post “US Stocks in Free fall thread” and it retrieved over 5 pages for a recently talkative member.

Cheers
To reverse the order, change "keywords" to "sd=a&author" instead. :happy

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 50357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 pm

^^^ Also, thanks for the hack. I never thought about modifying the URL. :beer
Oicuryy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am
Bfwolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am
I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to just see only the OP's posts in a thread.
Still not quite what you want but this bookmarklet will remove all the posts on a page except those from the topic author.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){$(".post").not(":has(\".phpbb-showtopicauthor\")").css("display","none")})()
Ask Google how to install and run a bookmarklet in your browser. Tested only on Firefox and only on bogleheads.org. No warrantees.

Ron
Very creative.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Oicuryy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:54 am

libralibra wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:35 pm
Which means some change to the layout is all that's needed, e.g. an extra input field or a selector to search on author vs keywords.
Good idea.

This bookmarklet alters the thread search box to be an author search. Run the bookmarklet then click on the magnifying glass to search for all the posts in the thread by the author of the first post.

The readable(?) version.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){
$("#topic-search fieldset input")
 .filter(".inputbox")
  .val($(".post").first().find(".username,.username-coloured").html())
  .attr("name","author")
 .end().last()
  .after('<input type="hidden" name="sd" value="a" />')
})()
As it looks in a bookmark.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){ $("#topic-search%20fieldset%20input")%20%20.filter(".inputbox")%20%20%20.val($(".post").first().find(".username,.username-coloured").html())%20%20%20.attr("name","author")%20%20.end().last()%20%20%20.after('<input%20type="hidden"%20name="sd"%20value="a"%20/>')%20})()
Ron

edit 1: version 0.2

Edit 2: Or the bookmarklet could just run the search.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){
var str="./search.php?author=";
str=str + $(".post").first().find(".username,.username-coloured").html().replace(/ /g,"+");
str=str+"&t="+$("#topic-search fieldset input[name='t']").attr("value");
str=str+"&sf=msgonly&sd=a";
location.assign(str);
})()
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

Post Reply