Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Discussions about the forum and contents
Bfwolf

Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by Bfwolf » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 pm

One frustration I have when reading a thread is that after the original post, there might be a ton of discussion from other posters before the OP comes back with more information. Or sometimes the OP never comes back at all. And I am just reading pages of back and forth between everybody else, often only tangential to the OP's question. Or I'm stuck scanning pages of posts to see if the OP came back with more posts.

I would love if there was an option to just see the OP's posts on a thread.

PFInterest

Re: Making it easier to track posts from the OP

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 01, 2018 2:36 pm

thats what a forum is....

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Tue May 01, 2018 2:55 pm

It would be nice if the OP name could be made to stand out in some way, so we do not have to remember who the OP is ;)

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 01, 2018 3:00 pm

CTRL + F

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Yes, some forums highlight the original poster's later replies or have a little "OP" mark next to his name. Helpful. Not sure if that's a feature that can be enabled through this forum software?

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Always forget about CTRL+F. I think that is the best solution as I don't believe these types of forums have the OP option in my experience.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

Just an idea how about making the OP box light red then it would be easy to know them by. The rest of us all have a blue box.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 pm

CTRL+F is an unhelpful option in my experience since it also pulls in all the posts that quote the OP. And sometimes there are multiple quotes from the OP in a single post. You can easily end up with 20+ "hits" with no actual OP posts.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm

After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.

Cheers

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
After CTRL-F search for "by opname" as that will only bring up posts that they initiate.
This right here is the best solution.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
This right here is the best solution.
I think the best solution would be a slightly different color box, or an "OP" tag as stated above. CTRL-F, followed by a search is the only current solution. Hardly the best.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Silk McCue wrote:

Cheers
Good suggestion!

I'd still love a way to filter to just the OP posts but this is a good hack.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm

buccimane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm
I think the best solution would be a slightly different color box, or an "OP" tag as stated above. CTRL-F, followed by a search is the only current solution. Hardly the best.
Another forum I frequent, Flyertalk, introduced that feature a while ago and I find it very useful.

That said, AFAIK the admins/owners generally don’t customize/extend the software used for this site, so unless phpBB hasn’t this as a native feature that can just be turned on, I doubt that we will see it implemented.

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Thanks for this. I have used the CTRL-F feature but hadn't thought of putting the "by" in front so quoted postings are not flagged.
I also would prefer that the OP posts be color coded or some such to easily identify when going through a number of replies. I understand however that that may be problematic with the system used.
Bob

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm

I requested that feature in this thread but the mod wasn't supported by the forum software at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165036&p=2949042&hi ... r#p2949042

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Silk McCue wrote:

Cheers
Fantastic solution for desktop and I can't wait to use it more. Unfortunately does not work on mobile browser, which is where I spend a lot of time browsing bogleheads. :annoyed

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Silk McCue wrote:

Cheers
Fantastic solution for desktop and I can't wait to use it more. Unfortunately does not work on mobile browser, which is where I spend a lot of time browsing bogleheads. :annoyed
It works on my iPhone if I turn my screen to landscape mode. This works because the page then displays the “by” in front of the posters name. In portrait mode it doesn’t. It works in either mode on my iPad mini due to the additional real estate I expect.

Give that a try on your device.

Cheers

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm
Luckywon wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Silk McCue wrote:

Cheers
It works on my iPhone if I turn my screen to landscape mode. This works because the page then displays the “by” in front of the posters name. In portrait mode it doesn’t. It works in either mode on my iPad mini due to the additional real estate I expect.

Give that a try on your device.

Cheers
I have an Android device but I switched to desktop site within the page and then was able to use the find function effectively. I am all set! Thank you so much!!

Jacotus

Post by Jacotus » Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Some altruistic and enterprising developer could write a Firefox/Chrome extension to modify the CSS and highlight posts by the OP in some way. Alas, I do not have the skill.

MIretired

Post by MIretired » Wed May 02, 2018 6:48 pm

You can also just go to the first post in the tread (the OP's), and click their username over to the right below avatar. Then on their page, click search user posts; and see the posts with the same thread title (as long as a reply by OP wasn't also a title change or changed to just "Reply", or something.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm
I requested that feature in this thread but the mod wasn't supported by the forum software at the time:

The site owners have final say on mods, but the first step is to find something that will work. So far, I don't see anything supported by the phpBB community.

I agree this feature would be useful. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Is there ability to find all the topics started by a member? I know some of the forum software do have the ability to find all posts vs all topics started by a forum member. I really miss that ability on this forum.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm

The icon to the far-right of the forum's search box is a gear icon, which leads you to the built-in forum search engine. (Otherwise, the search goes to google.)

Search for keywords: (blank)
Search for author: wrongfunds <-- the member to search

Search in forums: (blank)
Search in subforums: Yes (doesn't matter for this forum)
Search within: First post of topics only <-- this is what you're missing

Display results as: Posts (your choice, but this will show the content)
Sort results by: (your choice)
Return first: All available characters of post (your choice, but this will show the full post content)

Search found 34 matches
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm
The icon to the far-right of the forum's search box is a gear icon, which leads you to the built-in forum search engine. (Otherwise, the search goes to google.)
Wonderful. Thank you LadyGeek.

I’ve used the generic google search often but this capability will be very useful.

Cheers

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Search within: First post of topics only <-- this is what you're missing
THANK YOU!!

dual

Post by dual » Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Some points:
1. A browser search ctrl+F only works on the current page. It has to be repeated for multi-page threads.
2. My experience is that the google forum search is usually several days behind. Apparently they do not crawl the site very often. I do not have experience with the gear search to see how often it is updated. Also, does it allow google-like search options?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm

1. The top of every thread (below the menu header) has a "Search this topic" box. It should find what you need within the entire thread.
2. My experience is that posts show up on google within 10 minutes of a post. I have no idea when google decides to crawl the site, I may have been lucky. The gear (built-in) search is updating constantly, but I honestly don't know how recent the information is. I know it depends on the server workload, but I haven't dug into the details to figure out anything more than that. It doesn't support searching over time like google search does.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Mon May 07, 2018 5:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm
1. The top of every thread (below the menu header) has a "Search this topic" box. It should find what you need within the entire thread.
For me on mobile Chrome for Android, both mobile page and forcing the desktop version, this only searches post content and not the username. Using the forum search, as you suggested, is a good workaround.

But I would add my voice to the request for this feature, if ever possible, and being able to jump to the next post in the thread by the OP. In long, multi-page threads, sometimes I just want to see the OPs responses and updates.

IngognitoUSA

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by IngognitoUSA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 am

In any thread, can the original poster be highlighted in all replies. Makes it easier to know who op is.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

^^^ I moved your post into the on-going discussion.

As I noted previously:
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm

The site owners have final say on mods, but the first step is to find something that will work. So far, I don't see anything supported by the phpBB community.

I agree this feature would be useful. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
I didn't forget.