Documentaries to recommend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Exafchick

Re: Documentaries to recommend?

Post by Exafchick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

Petrocelli wrote:
Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:40 pm
I also highly recommend the Ken Burns documentary on Jazz. I never really understood jazz music until I saw that. It can be streamed on Netflix.
I watched the Ken Burns series on Baseball (mostly because ex liked baseball) but it was very enjoyable, entertaining and informative. His set on the Civil War is also done well.

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Som- several people study for the master sommelier exam, very fascinating how hard this is.

Chef’s Table- generally covers chefs at 1 to 3 Michelin star restaurants. Really interesting to see people so passionate about what they do.

For Grace- about the opening of a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Chicago

Cave of forgotten dreams- cave in France featuring the oldest known human cave drawings

Jiro Dreams of Sushi- I recommend this as well.

Apex - all about hyper cars very interesting

Grand Designs- a bbc show about people having custom homes built for them in the UK and all the trials they go through. The best home show I have ever seen.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 pm

"The Big Secret" by Alex Voss & Susi Downs is listed as a free documentary on amazon prime.
This presentation is a health care related evaluation of current treatments.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Ric Burns (yes, brother of Ken) made a documentary of NYC.

calling it documentary really doesn't do it justice, more like a paean to the city. Extensive commentary by Robert A Caro (he of LBJ biography fame) was a real treat, as he also wrote the definitive non-fiction on NYC from 1900 to 1975

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Betting On Zero
(Netflix) - follows Bill Ackman who shorts Herbalife - a Boglehead must watch :)

Expedition Happiness (Netflix)

Hulahoop60

Post by Hulahoop60 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I really enjoy watching documentaries and recently watched on Netflix:

Wild, Wild Country - fascinating story about the controversial Indian guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (Osho), his one-time personal assistant Ma Anand Sheela, and their community of followers in the Rajneeshpuram community located in Wasco County, Oregon

The Galapagos affair - about a series of unsolved disappearances on the Galapagos island of Floreana in the 1930s among the largely European expatriate residents at the time

The Staircase - documenting the trial of Michael Peterson, accused of murdering his wife, Kathleen Peterson.

Bombshell - The life and career of the hailed Hollywood movie star and underappreciated genius inventor, Hedy Lamarr.

The Witness
- investigates the killing of Kitty" Genovese, in the New York City borough of Queens, on March 13, 1964.

The Rachel Divide - Rachel Dolezal, her family and her critics reckon with the aftermath of a national debate sparked by questions about her racial identity.

Making a Murderer - explores the story of Steven Avery, a man from Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, who served 18 years in prison for the wrongful conviction

Some of my favorites, I believe they were on HBO:

Living with Lincoln
- follows a family's quest to save and document an archive of Lincoln photos

Dear Zachary, a letter to a son about his father - a documentary that incorporate loving remembrances into a film that would serve as a cinematic scrapbook for a son who never knew his father. As events unfold, the film becomes a true-crime documentary.

ytm

Post by ytm » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 pm

hiddensee wrote:
Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am
Ken Burns' The Civil War, however, is possibly the best documenatry ever made.
+1 Was astonished to learn the soundtrack, Ashokan Farewell, was composed in 1982.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 am

I was a little surprised to find no mention of "Meru", currently streaming on Netflix. This may be the finest climbing documentary every made -- beautiful to watch, and giving insight into what it takes to succeed at that level of alpinism.

If this genre sounds interesting, I'd also recommend the pseudo-documentary "Touching the Void". This was a rather famous climbing book, and a story I never thought they could tell as a movie. They did, however. The less you know going in, the better. This came out 10+ years ago, and isn't currently streaming.

I would also give a vote to the PBS American Experience documentaries. A handful are available streaming on Netflix, though I've seen most of these on my local public broadcasting station. I discovered these about a year ago, watching their excellent three part series on American in World War I. These are well researched, and shed light on some stories in U.S. history that I had otherwise glossed over or missed.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:54 am

scooterdog wrote:
Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:32 am
dbh25 wrote:Jiro Dreams of Sushi
I came here to recommend this.

As fans of food in general, it was unexpectedly about more than that.
I didn't know this was a thing - def added to my watch list
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through