Bogleheads, tell me about your 40's?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jaj2276

Re: Bogleheads, tell me about your 40's?

Post by jaj2276 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I love this thread. I have a strange feeling of melancholy while reading it though.

Enjoyed my 20s and 30s. I'm 42 and just had our 2nd and final kid (other kid is 2.5). I had no problems "turning" 40. Financially the family is in great shape. I am in the same shape I've been in for most of my life (not excellent, not poor, but good).

However due to the responsibilities that *I've* chosen to take on (and when I've chosen to take them on), I see my 40s as cementing my lot in life and not feeling at all comfortable with that lot. It's a good lot but I'm not sure I feel comfortable being confined to one lot.

I struggle with thinking that at 42 I still have over half my life to live but not a lot of leeway in how it's going to go.

I hope my 40s turn out better than I think they're going to turn out.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am

jaj2276 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:52 pm
I love this thread. I have a strange feeling of melancholy while reading it though.

Enjoyed my 20s and 30s. I'm 42 and just had our 2nd and final kid (other kid is 2.5). I had no problems "turning" 40. Financially the family is in great shape. I am in the same shape I've been in for most of my life (not excellent, not poor, but good).

However due to the responsibilities that *I've* chosen to take on (and when I've chosen to take them on), I see my 40s as cementing my lot in life and not feeling at all comfortable with that lot. It's a good lot but I'm not sure I feel comfortable being confined to one lot.

I struggle with thinking that at 42 I still have over half my life to live but not a lot of leeway in how it's going to go.

I like this very honest post and feel pretty similar. I'm newly 40, married 10 years to an amazing woman, and have no kids nor do we plan on having any. We both make a considerable amount of money in a MCOL area, but my wife makes about double what I do and that gap will continue to grow. This has never bothered me (I'd rather her make more than less no matter what I make), but as time goes on I wonder how true that is. We're financially independent at this point, but will continue to work for another 5-10 years to really seal the deal while we figure out where we want to live in retirement.

That said, I'm not exactly looking forward to the next 5 years or so. It's going to mostly be just keeping my head down, going to work for people (any people, not just my current job) that I don't particularly care to answer to, and keep plugging away. Get up at 5am, work all day, gym, dinner, sleep, repeat 5 days a week, maybe golf on Saturday, etc.....I definitely feel cemented into my lot in life and while it's a blessed life, I don't see my 40's as being all that much fun. I feel like I'm expected to be this person that I'm not sure how I became. It's too late and we're too well off to try and take a big financial risk in our professional lives, so it will be business as usual. These thoughts have been looming in my head a while now and have turned me into a kind of lazy guy. I quit working out hard several years ago, drink too much, smoke too much, and sit on the couch watching too much tv. I'm trying to change these habits now before they put me into an early grave. I've worked out enough over the years where I still look like I'm in great shape for my age, but inside I know that is not the case. I've also been rebelling against this suburban, middle aged, office job having, boring stereotype of myself that I've built up into my head by getting heavily tattooed. Nobody at work can tell with a long sleeve shirt, but I'm definitely now going to be that 65 y/o man in a beach town that people will look twice at when wearing a tank top or whatever.

In the last 5 years, I've had 4-8 friends of varying closeness die abnormally young from medical conditions. Cancer, cancer, suicide, heart attack, giving birth, etc....which is alarming to me. I would've always thought that people that die in their 30's die from accidents or similar, but my experience with death thus far is that a medical condition can come out of no where and snatch your life from you which is very scary. All of these friends were healthy people, who lived a far more healthy lifestyle than I do.

I hope it's better than I've built it up in my head and I'm making some changes in my lifestyle to help facilitate that. I will say that I have no "REAL" problems and all of my angst stems from my hatred of the rat race which I can't see myself escaping. That rat race though, has made it where money is of just about zero concern in our house. It may not have bought happiness, but having it sure has alleviated a lot of the stresses in life that were present in the previous decades.

Good thread.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 pm

got divorced, found love again, moved to Europe, stayed out of debt and learned to sail. This pretty much sums it up.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am
jaj2276 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I like this very honest post and feel pretty similar. I'm newly 40, married 10 years to an amazing woman, and have no kids nor do we plan on having any. We both make a considerable amount of money in a MCOL area, but my wife makes about double what I do and that gap will continue to grow. This has never bothered me (I'd rather her make more than less no matter what I make), but as time goes on I wonder how true that is. We're financially independent at this point, but will continue to work for another 5-10 years to really seal the deal while we figure out where we want to live in retirement.

That said, I'm not exactly looking forward to the next 5 years or so. It's going to mostly be just keeping my head down, going to work for people (any people, not just my current job) that I don't particularly care to answer to, and keep plugging away. Get up at 5am, work all day, gym, dinner, sleep, repeat 5 days a week, maybe golf on Saturday, etc.....I definitely feel cemented into my lot in life and while it's a blessed life, I don't see my 40's as being all that much fun. I feel like I'm expected to be this person that I'm not sure how I became. It's too late and we're too well off to try and take a big financial risk in our professional lives, so it will be business as usual. These thoughts have been looming in my head a while now and have turned me into a kind of lazy guy. I quit working out hard several years ago, drink too much, smoke too much, and sit on the couch watching too much tv. I'm trying to change these habits now before they put me into an early grave. I've worked out enough over the years where I still look like I'm in great shape for my age, but inside I know that is not the case. I've also been rebelling against this suburban, middle aged, office job having, boring stereotype of myself that I've built up into my head by getting heavily tattooed. Nobody at work can tell with a long sleeve shirt, but I'm definitely now going to be that 65 y/o man in a beach town that people will look twice at when wearing a tank top or whatever.

In the last 5 years, I've had 4-8 friends of varying closeness die abnormally young from medical conditions. Cancer, cancer, suicide, heart attack, giving birth, etc....which is alarming to me. I would've always thought that people that die in their 30's die from accidents or similar, but my experience with death thus far is that a medical condition can come out of no where and snatch your life from you which is very scary. All of these friends were healthy people, who lived a far more healthy lifestyle than I do.

I hope it's better than I've built it up in my head and I'm making some changes in my lifestyle to help facilitate that. I will say that I have no "REAL" problems and all of my angst stems from my hatred of the rat race which I can't see myself escaping. That rat race though, has made it where money is of just about zero concern in our house. It may not have bought happiness, but having it sure has alleviated a lot of the stresses in life that were present in the previous decades.

Good thread.
Interesting. I'm in about the same place as you but feel like life is just getting better and better. We make good money and have plenty of free time (no kids) so we're doing everything we've always wanted to do. We travel, take classes, DH is a triathlete. Of course, we are extremely fortunate that we don't have any health issues and all parents and siblings are healthy and financially self-sufficient. I think that's a big factor. We're on track to FIRE and I *almost* feel guilty because the world is our oyster as compared to others our age.

zinders

Post by zinders » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

My early 40s were pretty tough. The field I'm in took a drastic turn, and I was laid off at 40. I was able to pivot and retrain to work in Tech, but it took a good five years to find the right company for me. I've been with them for five years now, and finally feel that life is stable. I turn 49 in a few weeks.

Having to retrain and pivot was very stressful and took a lot of resilience. I had spent my 20s and 30s being the "hot young thing" so being let go and brought down was very rough on my ego. That being said, i love my new field and think it will carry me through retirement.

The 40s can bring you low. A lot of "real life" things happen - parents die, children become difficult, careers can bottom out. If you can get through all of it, you'll be a wiser and more empathetic human being. At least that's my experience as I stare down 50.

blevine

Post by blevine » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm

To me it was all about choices.
At this stage you may well be in your peak potential earning years, but also at the point of maximum impact on your kids.
So the draw to better leverage your earnings capability (work more) vs spend more time with the kids was a struggle.
I think I found a good compromise that I was happy about in my 40s, but now in my early 50s I am paying the price.
Not happy with where the compromise took me career wise, but glad I put so much into my family.
You only live once and I would rather be regretting career choices than family relationships.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I recently turned 40, so this has been a fascinating thread.

In 2008, at age 30, I was divorced, homeless, in bankruptcy, and changing careers (forced).

At 40, I have a second divorce under my belt, no kids (sadly), my dog just died, and am 100 lbs overweight. But on the flip side my income has doubled for four consecutive years, I own almost a million in real estate, just crossed the six figure mark in the securities portfolio (just started a year ago, really), and plan to “retire” in 18 months.

I have high hopes for my 40’s. I’ve started losing weight slowly, my business is healthy, I’m returning to activities that once brought me joy (because I can afford it again), and turning my focus outward will surely bring new relationships. I’m optimistic for my 40’s, and have no intention of letting it race by in a panic like most of my 30’s did.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 pm

I learned in my 40s not to quote and reply to people that posted something on the internet 4 years ago - they may no longer be checking in to see the quote and reply.

vshun

Post by vshun » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm

I am 52 and physically can do more pullups/bench presses/handstand pushups then ever in my life, however body needs more and more time to recover between workouts. Previously could do 2-3 workouts a day (gym/kayaking/biking) and now barely one a day and sometimes take a day of break.
Mentally I thought 40 decade for me was hardest to cope as you learn to accept your limitation/career growth stalling/salary stopping growth, but mental state got better by 50 as you recognize and smile and learn to enjoy smaller things.
Financially, things obviously get better every decade for as long as you save more than you earn.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:08 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 pm
I learned in my 40s not to quote and reply to people that posted something on the internet 4 years ago - they may no longer be checking in to see the quote and reply.
perhaps they post using a broader perspective that others may gain from it? perhaps the original poster should not post if she/he is worried about being quoted after an arbitrary date on which they last checked the thread? the possibilities are endless.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

LowER wrote:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 pm
Yep. 20/10 my whole life then all of a sudden can't see poop right in front of me.
Yes this was such a pain. Having to do fine work - and not having my 'readers'. All the worse when eyes had been so very good.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm

My 40's saw 2 market crashes, so our net worth went up, then down, then up, then down. I think we ended up with probably double what we started with, but that was probably all contributions. Our 50's is where we really socked away the money (almost 60 now).

I don't remember much about my 40's other than working and doing kid stuff. Now that my last has gone away to college and I'm retired, I have a lot of free time, but I also miss the family time and going to my kids activities. That was huge part of our lives during our 30's and 40's. Fortunately, I have a young GS and another on the way, so we're getting to do some of it all over again - but it's much easier being a grandparent!

Overall, I think my 40's were fine. Probably better than my 20's and 30's.

[Square]

Post by [Square] » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:39 am

I'm 39. Enjoyed this thread. Joining a gym today/tomorrow. Career and savings are doing pretty good, but while I've been trying to fight off lifestyle creep... I've been losing the overall size creep battle. Time to invest some capital into a gym and a personal trainer. Thanks to all :sharebeer

Socrates28

enjoy your health

Post by Socrates28 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm

never had any health issues until I turned 50....not significant, but my eyesight is going, hearing, lots less energy, stomach issues (no more nachos and beer at midnight)

also, your testosterone drops signficantly

don't over work! You can bust your A$$ for your job, but they don't care and will replace you in a heartbeat

enjoy the finer things in life, family, friends, travel and health

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:09 am

This has been a great thread and appreciate all of the posters. I'm currently in my early 40s and enjoying life more than ever.

On career:
I'm fully confident in my career and have found my way into a company I respect, with leaders I want to follow, and compensation that more than fairly rewards my skills and hard work. This took 20 years and I'm so thankful for my wife who supported me on this journey. It took hard work and a bit of fortunate circumstances to achieve. Outworking the competition can sometimes overcome intellectual gaps you might have.

On marriage and personal life:
Finding balance can be tough especially as you have children and grow professionally. One of the keys here is managing your time and "being present" in all you do. If you haven't read the One Thing by Gary Keller I highly recommend. Time is so precious and I regret not taking full ownership of my schedule earlier in life. I won't be a victim to my schedule going forward.

On financial preparation:
My 40s seems to be the decade where our family will be in peak earning and saving mode. I discovered Vanguard and Bogleheads in grad school. This alone was worth the cost of tuition. My wife has retired and loving it.

On health and well being:
Getting back in shape, although this is harder than even 5 years ago. Exercise results take more time to appreciate, and eating/drinking have more consequences than before including more rapid weight gain, insomnia, and drowsiness the following day. Mind still thinks and wants to play like I'm 20 but can't quite keep up as well as I used to. I haven't needed the reading glasses yet but know this is coming....wife already has these.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

chattyanne

Post by chattyanne » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am

About my 40's....hmmm.

I went into my 40's excited and they've gone quickly. My brother passed away when he was 42 from some sort of cancer, I was 35 at the time. The last 7 years I visited mom who had to be put in a nursing home because of dementia. She passed away last December. I had a major scare a few weeks ago when dad got sick (the last of my immediate family members) but he's recovering and on the right track. I found out that I had a lot of friends who wasn't able to stand w/ me through hard times because sometimes this stuff can be life changing.

My retirement funds are a mess right now but I became debt free which was a huge achievement for me.

I've learned to slow down and look for richness in folks and enjoy the moment. I took up bicycling more for personal emotional therapy and met some amazing people while peddling the country roads and chit chat while we added up over 4000 miles in a year.

I try to keep the small stuff at bay...does the yard really need mowed, dishes, etc. or can it wait while I enjoy the presence of others. I see younger people freaking out over small stuff and I now realize I used to be like that. :oops: ha ha

I've realized all the "old" folks were right...life does go quickly. I am 47, not dead yet, still looking for love...and I'm ok with it :happy

Such a good question, thanks for asking!

P.S. I'm also noticing that when I purchase things it may be the last time. Example: I just bought a mower. The first mower lasted 22 yrs and this new mower is bigger and more heavy duty...If cared for properly I will never need to purchase another mower.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:29 am

My 40s were great. I was in great physical shape and ran my first marathon at age 40 in Los Angeles and another in a warm downpour in Honolulu.
Most importantly, I also not only started learning about in genuine stock market investing in mutual funds (vs. those horrific nongrowth annuities), I beat Allan Greenspan by earning my Ph.D. at UCLA at the ripe young age of 48! (Greenspan got his at age 52). Out of the 250 Masters and Ph.D. graduates, there was one other graduate with grey hair showing under his pitch black cap.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 am

I'm in my mid-40s. Life is pretty good. I haven't experienced any of the physical aches and pains people have described, although I'm sure they are on their way! Financially we are in good shape. We still have a young one in the house and I am most focused on enjoying the time we have left with her.

One thing I have regrets about is not buying our forever house 15 years ago. We decided to go for a fixer-upper to sell a few years later, but we are in a very competitive real estate market and it's tough! That is still fixable, I guess, but we are still in our house much longer than I expected and there are some things about it that frustrate me! The other thing I regret is not being more aggressive about pursuing infertility treatments in my 30s. I feel lucky to have one child, but it would have been nice to have at least another. It is too late for me now though, I'm afraid. As I get older, I realize how important family is, so that's where my focus is. The stuff I worried about during my working days seems silly.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:05 am

brian2013 wrote:
Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm
I'm about a year away from turning 40. My thirties were pretty good to me - i started and stabilized my own business and witnessed the birth of my two beautiful kids, and now I find myself contemplating this "turning point" a little bit. I was just curious what the thoughtful, intelligent folks on this forum might have to teach me about it. Those of you who have already lived through their 40's, or who are in their 40's, what did this decade mean to you? Emotionally, financially, etc., I'm interested in whatever seems significant in your experiences. What did you learn, what do you wish you had done differently, or what do you wish you had known at 40? Did you have any "crisis" experiences? Let's hear it!
When I was 49, I started taking retirement planning seriously, I adopted an AA based on indexed funds, I moved my non-401k retirement funds to Vanguard, we adopted a savings rate that would likely lead to a adequate nest egg by our mid-60s.

When stock brokers called me, I started asking for statistical proof. They stopped calling back.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:03 am

I noticed far more differences (physical, etc.) after about 50 than from my 20s through my 40s, although some were there (near eyesight, etc.) My best earning years, although very modest compared to most Bogleheads, were my 30s and ended in my early 40s. From then on work tended to come and go - some years with hardly any income, some with decent income. Now beginning my 60s, life is completely different. I work full time, and am fortunate to have a job that's a relatively good fit for me, but I'm not as good at it as I was a few years ago, and recognize that.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am

To the youngin's...there's a reason people in this thread keep talking about the physical stuff that happens in your 40's. This started for my wife and I as soon as we hit 40, and it's really a bummer. It takes time to accept the fact that you won't be the same as you used to be and will have various ailments for the rest of your life. That said these tend to take more of a psychological toll than a physical one.

The other "problem" I've noticed is having success in my career (thus the quotes). At a certain point you realize you've been in your career for 20 years and then also realize you have 20 more years to go. The passion I had for my job when I was younger has started to wane, and yet the pay has never been better. I have an internal debate with myself about wanting to do something different, to start a new chapter in my life (and now is the time to do it), but the great pay of my current career keeps me from starting over. I've never had more money than I do now, but also never felt more of a slave to it.

If I have one regret about my 30's it's that I didn't travel or get out more. I really focused on my career in my 30's and went 5 years where I took no vacations. This really set me up well financially for the rest of my life, but I sacrificed the absolute best time in my life for travel and activities. That's time I can't get back. My advice is that if you're on this site you will eventually have enough, because you care about finance and that's half the battle. Make the time to get out and do the things you want to do. There will always be time for work later.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am
To the youngin's...there's a reason people in this thread keep talking about the physical stuff that happens in your 40's. This started for my wife and I as soon as we hit 40, and it's really a bummer. It takes time to accept the fact that you won't be the same as you used to be and will have various ailments for the rest of your life. That said these tend to take more of a psychological toll than a physical one.

The other "problem" I've noticed is having success in my career (thus the quotes). At a certain point you realize you've been in your career for 20 years and then also realize you have 20 more years to go. The passion I had for my job when I was younger has started to wane, and yet the pay has never been better. I have an internal debate with myself about wanting to do something different, to start a new chapter in my life (and now is the time to do it), but the great pay of my current career keeps me from starting over. I've never had more money than I do now, but also never felt more of a slave to it.

If I have one regret about my 30's it's that I didn't travel or get out more. I really focused on my career in my 30's and went 5 years where I took no vacations. This really set me up well financially for the rest of my life, but I sacrificed the absolute best time in my life for travel and activities. That's time I can't get back. My advice is that if you're on this site you will eventually have enough, because you care about finance and that's half the battle. Make the time to get out and do the things you want to do. There will always be time for work later.
+1

I took a slightly different approach. I switched careers in mid-30s, after taking a year off to travel and go to b-school full-time.

I'm now 44 and earning much less than I would've if I hadn't switched careers. However, I made significant investments that really panned out so I'm probably where I would've been anyway.

I also started a side business that is growing steadily and the next time I find myself unemployed, I'll just work that full time.

With very young kids, I no longer have any desire to grow my responsibilities at work, nor do I need the money (other than to boost my ego). I'd much rather spend time with my family. This will definitely hurt my future job prospects, but luckily I don't care about it.

Westcoaster7

Post by Westcoaster7 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 am

Great posts. Thank you all for the honesty and insight. This thread should be essential reading for Bogleheads.

I’m not yet 40 and will take this advice to heart. Like another poster above, I’ll be joining a gym soon! But it will continue to be hard to figure out the right work/life balance. In my profession (attorney), I’m worried there may not be “easier” jobs out there where I can fairly trade income for more time with family. I already moved in-house and every lawyer I know just works way too much...

Any of you 40+ folks regret making career limiting moves to work less? Seems most people just regret working too much.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 am

A friend of mine personal trainer told him 20 years ago that what he does in the gym now (age 40) will affect him 20 years later. He told me his trainer was completely right.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 am
A friend of mine personal trainer told him 20 years ago that what he does in the gym now (age 40) will affect him 20 years later. He told me his trainer was completely right.
Can you provide more details as to what this means? Is he suggesting the heavy weight lifting hurts the body long term? Or stretching is important?

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:12 pm

My friend plays at a level 4/5 tennis, used to do marathons, overall very good shape. What his trainer meant was to keep up a high level of fitness (that is where my friend was 20 years ago, and still is). Working on flexibility, balance works, joint stability work, core, strength, etc. You can and should change your program around as you get older, but try to maintain a high level of fitness. He was a runner 20 years ago, and still is; he may not do marathons anymore, but I know he can crank out 10 miles anytime he wants to.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:42 pm

The 40’s........age...
Woodstock and Disco a distant memory.
Big money bigger bills.
Teenagers....
Long gone in the retirement “rear view mirror”...

Onward
J🏝

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

58 now, and while keeping this to "40's", will say that turning 40 coincided with 15 years of turbulence, some of which was enjoyable, fun and productive and some of which was challenging, stressful and a waste of time, money and attention.

Back to the '40's, it kicked off my first informal sabbatical which was great including intensive self study about business in ways that are still fundamental to my career today, and also great in terms of self discovery, community and learning about photography and a unique ecosystem.

And, then came the sale of my business which was a mixed blessing since it achieved the business divorce I needed and was helpful financially but also stressful since it involved a divorce of sorts from a lifelong friend who helped me be the best and worst me possible (and who had a life/death scare) and since I truly loved the business we started together. From there, I launched some new business endeavors (consulting, real estate-related, etc) and went through a lot of change personally, professionally (becoming externalized for the first time, working from a great base), geographically (more new ecosystems to learn about !) and physically (knee and thyroid surgeries.)

That all being said, this decade was chaotic, productive and a bit crazed, probably by my own...you guessed it, Hubris.

Looking forward to the thread re: 50's, to tell more of the story.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:05 pm
What did you learn, what do you wish you had done differently, or what do you wish you had known at 40?
Brian:

I wish I had known John Bogle and his selfless crusade "to give ordinary investors a fair shake."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Ditto...

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am

My 40's started out with a divorce that ultimately was a blessing. (We're still on good terms.) After being unhappy for most of my life, I got my head together at the age of 45, and the decade-plus since then (I'm now 56) have been the best years of my life, by far. I started taking better care of myself physically when I was 47; so far, so good.

I think the hardest thing about the 40's for many people is that they are raising families and helping aging parents, all while trying to advance their careers. My situation was pretty different, but, as an early retiree, I think I can still relate to a quote which may be from Victor Hugo: "Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age." I don't know what's going to go wrong with my body, or when, but I'm trying to make the most of my time until then!