Is it even possible to contest a credit card charge nearly 6 months later

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Calico

Is it even possible to contest a credit card charge nearly 6 months later

Post by Calico » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm

I am so frustrated.

I am supposed to be going to Europe in five days and I am missing train tickets from London to Paris. I booked everything though a travel agent (actually a friend of mine who got me good deals on hotels and such). When I bought the tickets through him back in January, they were charged to my credit card. I didn't get any kind of confirmation at the time, but I figured that would come from the agent later (like just about everything else did). He was reminding me this week about everything I needed to print before I go including that I needed to print my rail tickets before I leave. He added, "you should have that email already." That's when I figured out when he bought them, I was supposed to get a confirmation email immediately after he purchased them. I don't have anything.

I went to RailEurope's website to see if I could have a confirmation resent so I could print them and lo and behold, there are a lot of complaints on the site about not getting confirmation emails, but being charged (not a hold, but cards charged). Great. What if that happened to me?

I am waiting to hear back from my travel agent friend on this to see if he has a solution. And then if he doesn't call Rail Europe during their business hours. But if it all fails, and I have to buy the tickets again because they say the charge never went though, do I have a snowball's chance of disputing the 6 month old charge? I though it was good and that I would get delivery of the "product" (the tickets) now, I didn't realize I should have gotten them then.

neilpilot

Re: Is it even possible to contest a credit card charge nearly 6 months later

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm

So did the charge show on your credit card statement?

Calico

Post by Calico » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Yes. It posted on January 31.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Well I've had very good luck and a fast response from British Rail with a similar issue, but Rail Europe is an entirely unknown entity to me. The key will be to provide them with your cc statement, and carry a copy with you as well. That way, if you are forced to purchase new tickets, with luck you maybe able to still visit their ticket office in Europe and argue for a refund.

Use the same cc for the replacement tickets, and you may possibly be able to dispute the new charge based on their failure to deliver.
Last edited by neilpilot on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm

You generally have 1 year to dispute a credit card charge. If you never received the tickets you should get your money back. Not 100% guaranteed though. I would think they could just resend the confirmation if there is one. If not, call the number on the back of your card and initiate a dispute asap. Good luck.

Calico

Post by Calico » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks.

I really don't need this stress right before my trip.

If I have to repurchase tickets, it's $800 ($1000 for first class). So I might just end up getting first class tickets if I have to repurchase. I hope they can just fix this though.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm

The best place to ask this question is your credit card company; give them a call real quick and see what they say..

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm
The best place to ask this question is your credit card company; give them a call real quick and see what they say..
The best outcome would be if the OP could successfully gain access to the original tickets, since a repurchase would likely be at a much higher price. If the OP first tries to reverse the original charge, and that invalidates the original purchase, then the new ticket purchase would certainly cost more.

Calico

Post by Calico » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 pm
FlyingMoose wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm
The best outcome would be if the OP could successfully gain access to the original tickets, since a repurchase would likely be at a much higher price. If the OP first tries to reverse the original charge, and that invalidates the original purchase, then the new ticket purchase would certainly cost more.
That's my plan. First, ask the agent. If I don't hear from him soon, I will call the rail company in the morning when their customer service is open and ask them to resend the emailed tickets as I never got them. If they say they can't or they have no record, I will rebuy tickets and dispute the older charge (if I can). The last step in all this is to call the credit card company. I am looking at a 24 hour window to do all of this too. And yes, rebuying ticket now is nearly double the price. I will do it if I have to, but I am going to try to see if I can get those original tickets first. The point of my thread was wondering if I even have a chance at disputing. It looks like the answer is maybe.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Good luck. BTW when we were in London a few weeks ago, a same day OW rail ticket from London to Paris was around $255pp, and 1st class (which in my opinion isn't worth the difference) was maybe $350. So when you say tickets would cost you $800/$1000, then I assume that there are 3 of you traveling together?

You do realize that OW airfares run around $100 pp on Vueling and EasyJet?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Calico wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 pm

That's my plan. First, ask the agent. If I don't hear from him soon, I will call the rail company in the morning when their customer service is open and ask them to resend the emailed tickets as I never got them. If they say they can't or they have no record, I will rebuy tickets and dispute the older charge (if I can).
You certainly should dispute the charge, but ... calling the rail company? Isn't that what you hired a travel agent for, to arrange for your travel?

Calico

Post by Calico » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 pm
Good luck. BTW when we were in London a few weeks ago, a same day OW rail ticket from London to Paris was around $255pp, and 1st class (which in my opinion isn't worth the difference) was maybe $350. So when you say tickets would cost you $800/$1000, then I assume that there are 3 of you traveling together?

You do realize that OW airfares run around $100 pp on Vueling and EasyJet?
I was so fixated on the train (since I already had tickets), I didn't even think about flying. Thanks for pointing that out!

Calico

Post by Calico » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Calico wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 pm

That's my plan. First, ask the agent. If I don't hear from him soon, I will call the rail company in the morning when their customer service is open and ask them to resend the emailed tickets as I never got them. If they say they can't or they have no record, I will rebuy tickets and dispute the older charge (if I can).
You certainly should dispute the charge, but ... calling the rail company? Isn't that what you hired a travel agent for, to arrange for your travel?
I emailed him already (it was late last night when I figured this all out/after business hours. I will give him time to respond, but if I don't hear from him, I plan to call the rail company myself because I am getting a little nervous. I want an answer to "can you send me my tickets or not" so I know if I need to buy new ones (or plane tickets) before it's too late. I now leave in three days.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

Creditcardguy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm
You generally have 1 year to dispute a credit card charge. If you never received the tickets you should get your money back. Not 100% guaranteed though. I would think they could just resend the confirmation if there is one. If not, call the number on the back of your card and initiate a dispute asap. Good luck.
Where did you get that? The Fair Credit Billing Act give you 60 days to dispute, in writing. Most credit card companies adhere to that.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 am

Chase sapphire allowed us to dispute a charge almost to a year and refunded us. It helped that we had clear evidence that we couldnt have made that charge

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am
Creditcardguy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm
Where did you get that? The Fair Credit Billing Act give you 60 days to dispute, in writing. Most credit card companies adhere to that.
Looks like you're right! I've been told 1 year since I started the biz in 2005. Learn something new every day. :beer