[favorite] Boglehead quotes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tim1999

Re: [favorite] Boglehead quotes

Post by tim1999 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Here's an old one that served me well:

"Maximum tolerable loss x 2 = Maximum equity allocation"
-Adrian Nenu

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm

One of my favorites of all time is one used often by Jack Bogle.....

"Don't just do something; stand there."

Little did I know (before a quick Google search) that it was around long before Jack first used it. In case there's at least one other Boglehead who didn't know this, here's the interesting history of this saying that is so applicable to the Boglehead philosophy.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/03/22/stand-there/

From the above article:
This quip has been used by many people over the years including politician Adlai Stevenson and Hollywood star Clint Eastwood.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Most of these are attributable to Dr. William Bernstein:

"When you buy the market, you are hiring the aggregate judgment of the most brilliant and well-informed minds in finance."

"The market is brutally efficient and can be thought of as being smarter than even its wisest participants."

"Most brokers service customers the same way in which Bonnie and Clyde serviced banks."
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 am

livesoft on "MD&P just purchased X / sold Y [md&pharmacist]":

Ah, yes. But Bogleheads will help investors navigate between the day-trading Scylla and the leveraged Charybdis with ease. But that is only if they can first tie themselves to the 3-fund portfolio mast while the Sirens call "Slice-and-Dice! Slice-and-Dice!"
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham