Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
mainebeach
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am

Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by mainebeach » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm

So most trip insurance seems aimed for disasters or you break your leg and can't take your trip. But what do you do when you have elderly parents in declining health. We are going abroad in October and part of it is not refundable after a certain date. My mother has dementia which is advanced. She could hang in there for years or go downhill rapidly. Not sure what to do as her health could change in a flash. The expense is quite a bit and would be difficult to lose.

Nutmeg
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by Nutmeg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

If you choose to buy trip insurance, be sure to read the terms very carefully. Some policies will not be available to you if too much time has passed since you made your initial purchase. Some do not cover preexisting conditions, which could mean that you would not be insured if you must interrupt your trip because of the preexisting condition of your elderly relative.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 1960
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:24 pm

It depends on your temperament. I am a moderate risk taker married to a highly risk averse spouse. My preference would be to take my chances, and figure that the once-or-twice-in-a-lifetime big loss is better than the constant high insurance payments. The other argument is that with the insurance you can cap your potential losses and the cancellation decision won't be so hard. So for us, it depends on whose parent is the one we're worried about.

Good point above about paying attention to the details of the policy.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17194
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm

mainebeach wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm
So most trip insurance seems aimed for disasters or you break your leg and can't take your trip. But what do you do when you have elderly parents in declining health. We are going abroad in October and part of it is not refundable after a certain date. My mother has dementia which is advanced. She could hang in there for years or go downhill rapidly. Not sure what to do as her health could change in a flash. The expense is quite a bit and would be difficult to lose.
Certain kinds of such trips are "challenging" enough - even for those in excellent health.

Based on your descriptions, I would question such a trip for them.

delamer
Posts: 5478
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm
mainebeach wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm
So most trip insurance seems aimed for disasters or you break your leg and can't take your trip. But what do you do when you have elderly parents in declining health. We are going abroad in October and part of it is not refundable after a certain date. My mother has dementia which is advanced. She could hang in there for years or go downhill rapidly. Not sure what to do as her health could change in a flash. The expense is quite a bit and would be difficult to lose.
Certain kinds of such trips are "challenging" enough - even for those in excellent health.

Based on your descriptions, I would question such a trip for them.
The insurance is for the OP if her/his trip is interrupted and s/he has to return to the US. The parents aren’t traveling.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17194
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

delamer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm
mainebeach wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm
So most trip insurance seems aimed for disasters or you break your leg and can't take your trip. But what do you do when you have elderly parents in declining health. We are going abroad in October and part of it is not refundable after a certain date. My mother has dementia which is advanced. She could hang in there for years or go downhill rapidly. Not sure what to do as her health could change in a flash. The expense is quite a bit and would be difficult to lose.
Certain kinds of such trips are "challenging" enough - even for those in excellent health.
Based on your descriptions, I would question such a trip for them.
The insurance is for the OP if her/his trip is interrupted and s/he has to return to the US. The parents aren’t traveling.
OK - thanks and sorry for the confusion.

delamer
Posts: 5478
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 pm

I assume this is a group trip, rather than the two of you traveling independently?

There certainly are policies that will cover you in the event of the serious illness or death of a parent.

As someone already mentioned, it is key to make sure that there are no limits due to pre-existing conditions.

We had to make a claim with CSA Travel Ptotection and they were very good. The documentation required is extensive, but we were paid quickly once everything was submitted.

ResearchMed
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 pm

mainebeach wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm
So most trip insurance seems aimed for disasters or you break your leg and can't take your trip. But what do you do when you have elderly parents in declining health. We are going abroad in October and part of it is not refundable after a certain date. My mother has dementia which is advanced. She could hang in there for years or go downhill rapidly. Not sure what to do as her health could change in a flash. The expense is quite a bit and would be difficult to lose.
I'd suggest that you call

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them and discuss all of your concerns (also possible risks that are not concerns or for which you prefer to self insure, etc.).

We've found them extremely helpful in recommending "this policy because... rather than that policy because..."

We want travel insurance for "us" for personal reasons (including for medical expenses, but also for refunds of expensive trips if we couldn't go, etc.).

However, with MIL approaching 98, we also are acutely aware that at any time... even though she is remarkably alert and active. (I sure hope DH has lots of her "good" genes!)

Now, IF a physician told us that she was ill and it was serious (in certain terms), the regular insurance we get would cover our cancelled costs.

BUT... she *never* complains, so IF she mumbled something like, "I don't know, I just don't feel right" or "feel funny", I doubt we'd want to leave just then.
So we add Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage, which will refund us 75% cash back, if we cancel for any uncovered reason. That could be ill relative, changed our mind, didn't like the political situation somewhere (but there was not any USA State Dept advisory, etc., which would be covered by regular policy), or maybe we just didn't like the reported number of sunspots that week...

There are restrictions on when you must purchase the policies with CFAR from the regular insurer we use through Trip Insurance Store, but there is another company they use with less restrictions, although the CFAR rider costs more.

Another IMPORTANT factor is IF there are any "pre-existing" medical conditions that you want covered (for medical care or for trip cancellation/interruption refunds).

PM me if you have any questions, but also just call TIS; they are really good about answering all sorts of questions.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

blevine
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by blevine » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm

I used travelsafe. First time we were refunded a cruise cost. Traveled with another family and they had a death in the family night before departure. Since were were traveling together, we just had to get documentation of the death (that’s fun) and we were reimbursed.

It is true, a pre-existing condition would not be covered, but old age is not a pre-existing condition ! You must buy coverage fairly quickly after booking the trip, there is a time limit.

If this gives you peace of mind, it is inexpensive peace of mind.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17194
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by dm200 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

blevine wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm
I used travelsafe. First time we were refunded a cruise cost. Traveled with another family and they had a death in the family night before departure. Since were were traveling together, we just had to get documentation of the death (that’s fun) and we were reimbursed.
It is true, a pre-existing condition would not be covered, but old age is not a pre-existing condition ! You must buy coverage fairly quickly after booking the trip, there is a time limit.
If this gives you peace of mind, it is inexpensive peace of mind.
However, wouldn't having dementia be a ore-existing condition?

orlandoman
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by orlandoman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm

www.TripInsuranceStore.com +1
- these people are SO helpful, call them with any questions, I use & recommend them
- trip cancellation is for before the trip starts
- all or almost all policies have death of an immediate family member as a reason to cancel before the trip starts
- all or almost all policies have trip interruption, for specified reasons. But, what about wanting to get home before a possible death
- the Travel Insured Trip Protector Plus policy includes CFAR AND 'Interrupt for Any Reason', it is maybe the only one that has this ... after at least 3 days on the trip, you can cancel for any reason & get 75% of unrefunded costs reimbursed
- all companies that offer CFAR usually only allow you to purchase CFAR with in 14-21 days of initial trip deposit at an extra cost

Verift all forum comments, including mine and read details & ask questions.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

ResearchMed
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Vacation insurance when you have sick elderly family

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm
www.TripInsuranceStore.com +1
- these people are SO helpful, call them with any questions, I use & recommend them
- trip cancellation is for before the trip starts
- all or almost all policies have death of an immediate family member as a reason to cancel before the trip starts
- all or almost all policies have trip interruption, for specified reasons. But, what about wanting to get home before a possible death
- the Travel Insured Trip Protector Plus policy includes CFAR AND 'Interrupt for Any Reason', it is maybe the only one that has this ... after at least 3 days on the trip, you can cancel for any reason & get 75% of unrefunded costs reimbursed
- all companies that offer CFAR usually only allow you to purchase CFAR with in 14-21 days of initial trip deposit at an extra cost

Verift all forum comments, including mine and read details & ask questions.
Yes, TripInsuranceStore is great.
We've purchased many policies from them, and also had several claims (from Travel Insured, all paid promptly, including two large ones).

But there is - or at least used to be - at least one insurer TIS sold that had CFAR if purchased much later (within 24 hours of FINAL payment, defined narrowly, obviously). We purchased that policy once, but had no claim.

So if you need this and have missed the 20 day period (careful - that deadline range you mentioned is state-specific in some cases), then you might call back and ask whether CSA is still available (they may have changed names; I'm not sure).

The main problem is that CFAR rider is more expensive than through Travel Insured, purchased within 20 days.

And the relatively recent "Interrupt For Any Reason" is wonderful!
This is what would allow us to return early IF MIL complained of not feeling well once we were already away.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Post Reply