Portfolio Review

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
BergLust

Portfolio Review

Post by BergLust » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi All,
I wanted to get your impression of my current portfolio and any opportunities you could see for me to look into further. I've learned a lot through the years here and appreciate your comments!

Below is my portfolio information, in the standard format! Before that I have some comments:

Current Status Comments:
  • I continue to have more cash on hand than I want. I am over time DCA-ing that into my individual account each month.
  • Overall I have a 3-fund portfolio of low fee and commission-free ETF's in the TD Ameritrade accounts (Individual & Roth). I also have a 3 fund portfolio of low fee mutual funds in my 401K and HSA. I try to keep a 60/30/10 mix of domestic/international/bond. As I add new funds to the 3-fund portfolio in the different accounts I am directing more bonds to my 401k and more international to my individual (taxable) account.
  • I did some tax loss harvesting at the beginning of the year which will help when/if I sell some things.
  • I do hold a little bit of TSLA, TDOC - for "fun" in the TD Ameritrade taxable account.
  • I reviewed municipal bonds and I've decided that they are not right for me at this time. Mostly because if I move states in the future it will have an impact on the investment performance.
Comments For The Future:
  • I recently opened a business as a sole proprietorship to possibly capitalize on some skills from a hobby. I view it as a good opportunity to get my feet wet in a low-risk business. Additionally, this should allow for solo-401k deposits if any income is generated or if I ever need/want to roll other tax-deferred money into another qualified account.
  • I continue to look at other passive income opportunities and am currently trying to learn about land investment and determine if it's right for me. Seems like some people have tools and processes to streamline the work. Also am still considering a duplex. I don't necessarily want to be a renter forever.
Again, thanks for all of your thoughts and feedback! It's been very helpful!

Emergency funds: 6 months+ in cash in a high yield savings account.
Debt: 0
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 32-35% Federal, 0% State (no tax state)
State of Residence: WA
Desired Asset allocation: 60% domestic stocks, 20% international stocks, 20% bonds
Portfolio Value: x,xxx,xxx

Current retirement assets:
Taxable (TD Ameritrade):
0% cash
2.3% SPDR® Portfolio Emerging Markets ETF (SPEM) (0.11)
14.0% SPDR® Portfolio Developed World ex-US ETF (SPDW) (0.04)
15.5% Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund ETF Shares (VEU) (0.11)
55.0% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund ETF Shares (VTI) (0.04)
13.2% SPDR® Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) (0.03)

401k:
28.2% Fidelity® U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (FSITX) (0.05)
52.2% Legal & General S&P 500 DC (collective investment trust, no ticker) (0.01)
19.6% LEGAL & GENERAL MSCI EAFE DC CL A (collective investment trust, no ticker) (0.02)

Roth IRA (TD Ameritrade):
23.5% Cash
9.3 % SPDR® Portfolio Developed World ex-US ETF (SPDW) (0.04)
15.5% Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund ETF Shares (VEU) (0.11)
25.9% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund ETF Shares (VTI) (0.04)
25.7% SPDR® Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) (0.03)

HSA:
50% Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX) (0.04)
50% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (0.04)

Total Portfolio Mix:
Taxable (58.4%) + 401K(37.9%) + Roth IRA (3.5%) + HSA (0.2%) = 100%

New Annual Contributions:
$60,000 Taxable (TD Ameritrade)
$18,000 401k (+7% company match of salary)
$5,500 Roth IRA (TD Ameritrade)
2,000 HSA Investments

Funds available in 401(k):
Target Date Funds:
Vanguard Target Retirement Income Inv (VTINX) (0.13)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 Inv (VTXVX) (0.13)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 Inv (VTWNX) (0.13)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 Inv (VTTVX) (0.14)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 Inv (VTHRX) (0.14)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Inv (VTTHX) (0.14)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Inv (VFORX) (0.15)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Inv (VTIVX) (0.15)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Inv (VFIFX) (0.15)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2055 Inv (VFFVX) (0.15)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2060 Inv (VTTSX) (0.15)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2065 Inv (VLXVX) (0.15)

International Funds:
Dodge & Cox International Stock (DODFX) (0.63)
LEGAL & GENERAL MSCI EAFE DC CL A (collective investment trust, no ticker) (0.02)
William Blair Instl International Gr (WBIIX) (0.97)

Small Cap Funds:
American Beacon Stephens Sm Cp Gr Instl (STSIX) (1.08)
DFA US Targeted Value I (DFFVX) (0.37)
Legal & General Russell DC 2000 (collective investment trust, no ticker) (0.01)

Mid Cap Funds:
Vanguard Mid Cap Index I (VMCIX) (0.04)

Large Cap Funds:
Legal & General S&P 500 DC (collective investment trust, no ticker) (0.01)

Balanced:
PIMCO All Asset Instl (PAAIX) (0.86)

Bond:
Fidelity US Bond Index Premium (FSITX) (0.04)
PIMCO Total Return Instl (PTTRX) (0.46)

Money Market:
Vanguard Federal Money Market Inv - 7-day SEC yield: 1.71% (VMFXX) (0.11)
Putnam Government Money Market A - 7-day SEC yield (PGDXX) (0.59)

Questions:
1. Can you please review this and offer any advice, suggestions, or constructive criticism?
Last edited by BergLust on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandtrap

Re: Portfolio Review

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Welcome.
You might get more comprehensive suggestions in this format.(edit original post)
Also. . . not everyone knows the "Tickers" so fund names would help, also expense ratios, etc.
Asking Portfolio Questions
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212
mahalo,
j

ps; looks great so far.

BergLust

Post by BergLust » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks! I have updated to the proper Bogleheads format! Look forward to some thoughts!

ShowMeTheER

Post by ShowMeTheER » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 am

Looking good - don't see much here to criticize and you have an excellent handle on your overall picture. And enough to dabble in your side investments if desired. What are your goals for retirement, etc? Maybe that will help to draw comments or further confirmations.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 am

You're definitely on the right path. All of your percentages should combined add up to 100% across all accounts. Try to think of your portfolio as a single account.

Invest the cash in that Roth account, and having 4-5 funds in that account is unnecessary as it's only 3.5% of your overall portfolio. Simplify down to one fund.

The HSA is even smaller -- reduce down to one fund. Especially since the two funds you are currently in have significant overlap.

Try to keep percentages of the total to at least 5% of your overall portfolio (unless the overall account is less than 5%....)

BergLust

Post by BergLust » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

ShowMeTheER wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 am
Looking good - don't see much here to criticize and you have an excellent handle on your overall picture. And enough to dabble in your side investments if desired. What are your goals for retirement, etc? Maybe that will help to draw comments or further confirmations.
Thanks for the reply! My goal is to not NEED to be working by 42, if that's what you mean. I'll probably still do something...as I'm a pretty active person and would like to contribute to our world.

BergLust

Post by BergLust » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks a lot for the response. It's helpful to have some extra eyes looking at things!
TwstdSista wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 am
You're definitely on the right path. All of your percentages should combined add up to 100% across all accounts. Try to think of your portfolio as a single account.
Oh, I guess I messed up? What you mean is when I share my portfolio information with this group all of my individual possessions in each individual account should finally sum to 100%? The way I did it was all possessions in a single account summed to 100% for that account. Maybe I did it wrong?
Invest the cash in that Roth account, and having 4-5 funds in that account is unnecessary as it's only 3.5% of your overall portfolio. Simplify down to one fund.
Good point and thanks for catching that. I'm currently DCA'ing that money over the next few months. FYI - I have four funds in there because TD Ameritrade removed the Vanguard funds from their free ETF list. I suppose I could get a couple free trades from my customer service rep and sell the vanguard possessions and put that money into the SPDW/SPTM. It would certainly make the Roth look more clean. Unfortunately, I cannot do that in my taxable account, as that would be a taxable event.
The HSA is even smaller -- reduce down to one fund. Especially since the two funds you are currently in have significant overlap.
Good call. I'll review these two funds later today and make a decision. For the life of me, I can't recall why I chose to invest in both of these funds.