Subaru EyeSight windshield insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
livesoft

Subaru EyeSight windshield insurance

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

Since another Subaru thread may be catching eyeballs, I thought I would pile on ...

Subaru is really pushing expensive windshield repair insurance for EyeSight owners since they claim these windshields are more expensive and different than the cheap windshields that can be replaced on other cards.

Anybody use their regular Auto Insurance to replace a cracked EyeSight windshield?

See also:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... blues.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Alexa9

Re: Subaru EyeSight windshield insurance

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am

I would probably replace my windshield without that safety crap if possible. My car doesn't know how to drive better than I do. At least not yet.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

I had my 2016 Forester windshield replaced with aftermarket for <$300 and paid out of pocket. There are also threads that non-Subaru windshield wipers can have a negative effect on Eyesight. I replaced mine with Bosch Icon wipers. Eyesight seems to be working fine, cruise maintains distance the same as always .

YMMV

Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/53/3/2

Data mining + Inference says that cars with EyeSight run into 30%-40% fewer pedestrians. But, really, who here would say they might ever run into a pedestrian?
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Only insure what you can’t afford to replace.

If the eyesight windshields are more expensive to replace, the cost of the insurance goes up. As a result, you get no more benefit than regular windshield insurance, which, if it is a thing, I imagine not many people buy.

JT

Point

Post by Point » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

On the insurance front, I'll replace with a reputable windshield when necessary.

RE: eyesight, I've had one forced stopping experience going forward which prevented me from rear ending a car that stopped too quickly. And I've had one instance where the backup stopped me from hitting a hard wall. It's already paid for itself!

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Do you have comprehensive coverage with your auto insurance? If so, it should cover windshield replacement, probably with little or no deductible. If the insurance is written for this car, it should pay to replace the windshield with one that works. I see no reason to buy extra or custom insurance, which is almost always very expensive for what it covers and pays.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm

I do have comprehensive and just discussed all this with my insurance rep. I have $1,000 deductible even on windshield / glass and changing deductible to $100 would almost cost as much as separate zero-deductible windshield insurance over 5 years term. Of course, separate insurance price is negotiable and I would not pay asking price. I also know someone who made a claim on the separate windshield insurance within 3 months of buying her new car.

BTW, EyeSight is not just adaptive cruise control and lane departure which many cars have nowadays. And 2022 is when all cars should have automatic emergency braking.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I see the connection to the "What did you do today" thread.

amp

Post by amp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 am

For what it's worth, I was quoted a $60 additional annual premium for window replacement coverage with a $50 deductible. This is through Travelers in Colorado.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm
I do have comprehensive and just discussed all this with my insurance rep. I have $1,000 deductible even on windshield / glass and changing deductible to $100 would almost cost as much as separate zero-deductible windshield insurance over 5 years term. Of course, separate insurance price is negotiable and I would not pay asking price. I also know someone who made a claim on the separate windshield insurance within 3 months of buying her new car.

BTW, EyeSight is not just adaptive cruise control and lane departure which many cars have nowadays. And 2022 is when all cars should have automatic emergency braking.
Most companies offer a $0 deductible on Glass portion of Comprehensive coverage. I pay about $75/yr for Comp ($1K deductible including $0 deductible for glass) with USAA in CT with two relatively new cars. As usual your experience may vary with state of residence and insurance carrier. And things like $1k to replace windshields and the fancy $1k headlights are part of the reason accidents cost more and insurance premiums increase .

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am

amp wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 am
For what it's worth, I was quoted a $60 additional annual premium for window replacement coverage with a $50 deductible. This is through Travelers in Colorado.
Same here - multiple vehicles, paying $4-$5/month for comprehensive.

Much cheaper than collision coverage.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Reb Tevye wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/53/3/2

Data mining + Inference says that cars with EyeSight run into 30%-40% fewer pedestrians. But, really, who here would say they might ever run into a pedestrian?
How do they differentiate between EyeSight saving 30-40% of pedestrians vs. drivers/buyers of Eyesight are more cautious drivers? I don't see how you'd ever do a double blind study. My guess is that it's both, but I expect the driver selection effect is greater if you could separate it out.
"The data clearly show that EyeSight is eliminating many crashes, including pedestrian crashes," says HLDI Senior Vice President Matt Moore.

To study the system's effect on pedestrian crashes, analysts looked at bodily injury liability claims that lacked an associated claim for vehicle damage. Past HLDI investigations have found that such claims tend to represent injured pedestrians or cyclists. They compared the rate of these claims per insured vehicle year for Subaru vehicles with EyeSight, compared with the rate for the same models without the optional system.
Does EyeSight have some check that the glass isn't the right kind or is dirty and doesn't work? How well does it work in rain and snow? Direct bright sunlight?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104 ... tions.html

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Does EyeSight have some check that the glass isn't the right kind or is dirty and doesn't work? How well does it work in rain and snow? Direct bright sunlight?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104 ... tions.html
EyeSight hardware is actually 2 color cameras mounted above the rear-view mirror to give a stereoscopic view ahead. There is also the software that goes with it. Owners manual says don't obstruct the view of the cameras and don't smudge the lenses of the cameras. If one looks through the windshields of Subarus, one can tell those with EyeSight and those without. The deal with the windshield and the dash is to prevent any internal reflections from confusing the system. I think if one had any glass outfit replace the windshield with OEM glass and not touch the EyeSight hardware, then no problems. The Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) spread by Subaru is that Subaru will check out EyeSight hardware as part of windshield replacement which another glass installer cannot really do.

Owner's manual says keep the windshield clean. And yes, if system thinks it cannot work well, it tells you and turns itself off which leaves you to drive the car using your own eyes as usual.

Also note that Subaru cars have the usual sonar hardware that other modern cars have (my 2011 has this stuff) to detect nearby objects, so EyeSight is not that hardware. See also: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-cars-use-s ... -distances

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 pm

I had my '15 replaced. Was $500 or $600 and Subaru later covered the cost. Can't complain there. There were a batch of windshields that were bad so check with Subaru if yours cracks.