Tv mount with no studs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Tv mount with no studs

Post by BashDash » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi all! Me again. Hoping to mount a 50 inch tv but I don't have any studs in my basement. It is drywall with concrete block behind it. Anyone ever done this? I'm looking to DIY unless there was an affordable way of a pro doing it. I'm wanting the tv to be able to swivel not just be forward facing. Thanks!!!

fortfun

Re: Tv mount with no studs

Post by fortfun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 pm
Hi all! Me again. Hoping to mount a 50 inch tv but I don't have any studs in my basement. It is drywall with concrete block behind it. Anyone ever done this? I'm looking to DIY unless there was an affordable way of a pro doing it. I'm wanting the tv to be able to swivel not just be forward facing. Thanks!!!
If you don't want it to fall off, I'd recommend getting a masonry bit for your drill and some big toggle bolts (rated for 200 lbs or more). Drill through the drywall and block. Hopefully, the block is hollow in the middle and hopefully you hit a hollow place. If you don't hit a hollow place, move over a few inches OR just use a good masonry screw that matches the diameter of the drill. You might go ahead and pick up both toggle and masonry screws just in case you do/don't hit a hollow spot in the block. Of course, make sure there are no pipes or wiring behind where you plan to drill :) If you are not familiar with toggle bolts, just google it. They will need to be long enough to clear the dry wall and concrete block (plus the length of the toggle bolt arm).

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm
BashDash wrote:
If you don't want it to fall off, I'd recommend getting a masonry bit for your drill and some big toggle bolts (rated for 200 lbs or more). Drill through the drywall and block. Hopefully, the block is hollow in the middle and hopefully you hit a hollow place. If you don't hit a hollow place, move over a few inches OR just use a good masonry screw that matches the diameter of the drill bit. You might go ahead and pick up both toggle and masonry screws just in case you do/don't hit a hollow spot in the block. Of course, make sure there are no pipes or wiring behind where you plan to drill :) If you are not familiar with toggle bolts, just google it. They will need to be long enough to clear the dry wall and concrete block (plus the length of the toggle bolt arm).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Back in 2009 I hung my skinny 40 inch Samsung directly on sheet rock as it came with a really nice flat kit that would use the lateral surface of the Sheetrock for strength. Tv was light and skinny just like a picture. Never had an issue. Depends on the tv.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:24 pm

New TVs are not very heavy.

If you have drywall there must be furring strips in back somewhere. They should be strong enough. Use short screws. Or drill through the furring strip, into the masonry, and use plastic anchors and longer screws.

VaR

Post by VaR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 pm

How much does this television weigh? And what kind of mount were you intending to use? A simple flat tilt-mount or a swivel mount? Oops, I see that the OP said they want a swivel.

And are you sure the backing blocks are concrete and not the old cinder blocks? If concrete I think you can use either concrete sleeve anchors (my preference) or Tapcon concrete screw anchors. Though I agree with the previous posters who said they'd feel most comfortable with toggle bolts.

You should even think about installing a backer plate or plywood and mounting the articulating mount to that. Consider the exceptional case where a kid decides to lean on or even hang off of the swivel mount.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Use Tapcons. They are blue concrete screws that tap directly into the concrete with no plastic anchors. They are available at Lowe’s or Home Depot. They hold very well.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 pm

A swivel extended mount puts tremendous stress on the bolts. Tapcons are okay for shear but lead anchors or toggles will be more secure. Use large and long lag bolts on the lead anchors.

The alternative might be to rig "L" brackets and so forth from the ceiling joists and use long lags for that. Another option would be to cut 2 squares of 3/4 ply to mount the swivel base to, and then lag those 2 sheets of ply into the concrete block. Then mount the swivel base to the ply with 1-1/2" long thick wood screws.

This might be overkill. You can mount a heavy punching bag on a setups like this.

Some ideas.
j
Sleeve Anchors

Anchor with Expansion sleeve (very heavy duty)

Lead Anchors and Lag bolts

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

BashDash wrote:
this might work, depending on the weight of your tv. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hangman-No- ... /206411013

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

OP here. Thank you for all responses!! I have some research to do and a trip to home depot. I am not that handy so I am a little nervous about tackling this project.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 am

Wait! Wait! Before you go to home depot, there are stand designed just for flat screens. No drilling, and wires can be concealed. Plenty on Amazon.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:52 am

To throw another wrench in this, if its in your basement and you don't have a bunch of windows, have you considered a projector and screen setup? The prices have come way down. This assumes, of course, that you have not purchased a tv already.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Op here. Thanks for all the replies! I checked and the concrete blocks are solid with no holes. For stripping as well. The tv is 50 inches. I will do some research now on the suggestions above.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm

BashDash wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am
OP here. Thank you for all responses!! I have some research to do and a trip to home depot. I am not that handy so I am a little nervous about tackling this project.
Lot of solid good replies here for sure

But in your case, with your admission, personally I would hit Yelp or Nextdoor and find the best TV/AV installer in my neighborhood and pay the $50-150 to have it done professionally.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm
BashDash wrote:

But in your case, with your admission, personally I would hit Yelp or Nextdoor and find the best TV/AV installer in my neighborhood and pay the $50-150 to have it done professionally.
Yep. They can hide the wires too

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm

OP here. So I've decided to abandon ship on the DIY. I found a installer wit good reviews who will do it for 100$. I feel more comfortable going this route with two very small kids running around the house.

Can anyone recommend a swivel mount? I see a bunch of them on Amazon with good reviews for roughly 30$. Maybe someone has some experience? We do need a swivel but don't want a bulky one. Thanks!

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm
BashDash wrote:

I would just get a nice TV stand.

TravelforFun

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

BashDash wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm
OP here. So I've decided to abandon ship on the DIY. I found a installer wit good reviews who will do it for 100$. I feel more comfortable going this route with two very small kids running around the house.

Can anyone recommend a swivel mount? I see a bunch of them on Amazon with good reviews for roughly 30$. Maybe someone has some experience? We do need a swivel but don't want a bulky one. Thanks!
Most installers have a go-to mount they use (if they are in fact TV/AV installer and not just a skilled handyman). Both TV's I had mounted in my home, by two separate pro's, provided (sold me) the mount and did the install. Both excellent. Ask your guy if he has a go-to.

If not, the one recently installed in my basement is "Invision" and works great... looks like this one (for a 40" TCL Roku tv)
https://www.invisiontvbrackets.com/invi ... cket-26-42
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks! Good idea. I will ask them when I confirm service date. I think the mount you mentioned may not be able to handle weight of 50 inch unless I’m reading incorrectly.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

nyclon wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm
BashDash wrote:
this might work, depending on the weight of your tv. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hangman-No- ... /206411013
I was skeptical about this one at first, but there are up to 20 pound and higher picture hanging hooks being used all the time, so spreading 15-20 of the 5 or 10 pound hooks across seems to be fine for the 80 pound rating (new TVs should be well under this weight). It's only listed as up to 48", but 50" should work, and if it was a fixed installation, I think this is the choice I would use. The swivel adds a complication that eliminates this very ingenious solution.

[This 75" TV weighs 68.8 pounds http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN7 ... FXZA-specs ]

How did the install go?

Hopefully not like this:
Image [alt https://i2.wp.com/www.worldusheadlines. ... 50x847.jpg ]