What To Do About 2001 Honda Odyssey With No AIr

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Reubin

What To Do About 2001 Honda Odyssey With No AIr

Post by Reubin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm

We have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that still drives well and is used as a transport vehicle for my wife's flea market business. This spring the air conditioning failed as the refrigerant all leaked out. The mechanic added more refrigerant and it leaked out again but he used a dye and said that he located the leak. He fixed the leak and added more refrigerant again. After 2 nice cold days the refrigerant leaked out again. I'm going to bring the car back to him but I fear that the leak(s) can't be located and that the vehicle will have to be driven without A/C, which would be unacceptable to my wife. Any ideas on what I could/should do? I'd hate to ditch the vehicle just because of an A/C issue. Thanks!

livesoft

Re: What To Do About 2001 Honda Odyssey With No AIr

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Give spouse your vehicle. You get to drive the Odyssey from now on.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

you don;t indicate how many miles are on the car, but it is a 17 year old car.

Might be time to get something a little newer.

I have an 05 GMC yukon xl and my back A/C has been out for 2-3 years and my main A/C is intermittent.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm

A complete AC replacement kit for a 2001 Odyssey is about $300. I wouldn't lose any sleep about what happens if they can't find the leak.

skp

Post by skp » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Fix it if you must. Deal with it if you can. AC isn't a safety risk....unless you live in Arizona. I'd just be worried about whats next on a mini van that age. that would be.
I live in NE Ohio and have a high heat tolerance. My AC died on my mini van and I just drove it. For 2 years. It was my car. I finally traded it in when it became so unrealiable that even I couldn't stand it. My husband wouldn't have tolerated no AC but I actually like the heat. Now if I lived in Fla that would be a different story.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm

My Odyssey will turn over 200K miles this week, but we only use it to haul stuff, it's not a daily driver any more. Last summer I got the A/C replaced for $500 (parts and labor). Not at the dealer, of course. Was it worth it? I don't know, were the baseball and hockey tickets I bought worth it? Was the vacation last week worth it? If we move a kid from Texas to Illinois, will having the A/C be worth it? We decided yes to all of the above, and none of it threatened our retirement. We know the maintenance history on the van and decided to keep it another couple of years, and for me that means A/C.

ETA - it's actually getting used this month since one of our cars got totaled and the at-fault driver is pretending not to be at-fault. We're driving the Odyssey while searching for a replacement car rather than renting and trying to collect that from the at-fault driver at some indeterminate future date. Since it's 94 degrees right now, the A/C is nice, and since it has A/C and runs well there is no particular hurry to buy the replacement until we've decided what we want and can find one somewhere at a price we're willing to pay.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:47 am

You win. I gave up and sold my 2001 Toyota Sienna (191k miles) to Carmax back in January.

My Sienna also had AC fail but recharging it was effective. Eventually the old Sienna had increasing maintenance issues and I decided I’d earned a new car.

My next new car will drive itself. But that might be 10+ years away.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

I have a similar odyssey. They are indestructible. I plan to keep it till it dies
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 am

As pointed out the total fix isn't that expensive. Patching doesn't seem to be the way to go. Have replaced AC on two Honda's at about 13 and 11 years of age as I recall. Wasn't a big deal and both have worked for several years since the replacement with little further major maintenance. Now if it has 400k on it or has been falling apart otherwise then time to replace. Or just treat yourself and splurge - you have done well with an 18 year old vehicle.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

user5027

Post by user5027 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am

Can't find it now but saw a universal solution on facebook, if you have a trailer hitch. It was a video of a car going down the highway with a window ac in the rear window powered by a gas generator sitting on a trailer hitch storage frame. :idea:

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

Very simple: fix the AC. Get it taken for a detail at the same time. Voila, new car!
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

My car is also a 2001. A Dodge Stratus. And it too has no AC. I use a little trick that I like to call "rolling down the window." But, then again, I only just a couple days ago powered up our swamp cooler because my wife was complaining about sweating in the house. If your wife is complaining about the car not having AC, swap cars with her and the problem is solved.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm
A complete AC replacement kit for a 2001 Odyssey is about $300. I wouldn't lose any sleep about what happens if they can't find the leak.
6miths wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 am
As pointed out the total fix isn't that expensive. Patching doesn't seem to be the way to go. Have replaced AC on two Honda's at about 13 and 11 years of age as I recall. Wasn't a big deal and both have worked for several years since the replacement with little further major maintenance. Now if it has 400k on it or has been falling apart otherwise then time to replace. Or just treat yourself and splurge - you have done well with an 18 year old vehicle.
It would be great if a system that old could be fixed that cheaply, such as the mechanic merely having to re-do the same repair.

But the one that was fixed may not be the only leak. There can be other leak(s), which can be anywhere in the system including the front and rear evaporators (which are inside their respective air exchanger housings) the condenser coil up front, and all the tubing and hoses and fittings that connect them all together. A lot of that may be under the vehicle or inside frame members, behind the headliner, etc, where it cannot be seen with a dye leak or found with a leak detecting "sniffer". Plus new leaks may have developed after the pressure was restored to the system.

Kits in that price range of $300 are typically the parts to replace the compressor and maybe the receiver/dryer. Since no leaks were detected around those before, they are not likely to be the problem. Even if a leak has developed in one of those components, replacing them still requires a lot of labor. You also have to purge and recharge the system (which not typically a do-it-yourself job) and it won't fix the problem of a leak somewhere else in the system.

Before spending a lot of money on the AC on an older Odyssey, bear in mind that '99 through around 2004 or 2005 Odysseys and other Honda V6 vehicles have had a problem with premature, chronic, and repeated transmission failures. Many of the transmissions that were fixed under the terms of the class-action lawsuit agreement failed again later -- because it was really an engineering design defect.

It may depend partly on luck and/or where the vehicle was manufactured, but IMO they're one of the few Hondas ever that are probably bad buys as used cars, or not good prospects to hope to drive 'til the wheels fall off without major problems. The legendary Honda reliability and longevity may not be there. Honda parts are relatively expensive, and there won't be any inexpensive used transmissions available, because they are in such high demand because of the premature failures.

In fact the problem caused low resale on Odysseys in that age range back then. Some used car dealers -- like CarMax -- were not willing to accept them in trade or buy them for resale at anywhere near the former higher wholesale market values that were more normal for other Hondas in other years.

jimb

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

lthenderson wrote:
$300 seems a bit light for an a/c replacement with parts and labor.
I'm guessing its more in the $750-1000 range but it varies depending on the vehicle.

Assuming you keep the car for another year even a grand is a good deal.
lot less than a new odyssey

Clearly the guy you are using is not getting it done.
Find someone else and get it fixed.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I'd sell it. No sense putting more money into an option that has limited usage. Someone is going to be glad to save $300 or $500 on a $2500 van that drives that doesn't care about the AC. You're probably just accelerating a purchase that you've been putting off. Win-win IMO.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 am

mrgeeze wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am
lthenderson wrote:
$300 seems a bit light for an a/c replacement with parts and labor.
I'm guessing its more in the $750-1000 range but it varies depending on the vehicle.
For clarification, that kit price was for parts only. Labor must be provided.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 am

Move to Canada. Problem solved.
The J stands for Jay