How do you celebrate (potty trained kid) milestone with your spouse?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TallBoy29er

Re: How do you celebrate (potty trained kid) milestone with your spouse?

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:13 am

PVW wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:53 am
motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm
PVW wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:37 pm
A participation trophy and some avocado toast.
Why the passive aggression? Did someone spit in your Metamucil this morning? :beer
Right. Sorry to pile on with the "I don't understand kids these days" theme.

Back in my day, you had to teach kids to go in an outhouse and forget teaching them to wipe with dried grass. It was so bad, it was easier to just teach them to hold it until we went into town for supplies. And even then, nobody threw us a party when our 6 year old stopped crapping on the floor under the kitchen table. My mom claims I wouldn't dig my own hole to poop in until I was 8, and she didn't get a party for anything until her wake.

All these celebrations are going to be the downfall of society. Harumph!
Of all the scenarios that could constitute the downfall of society, this falls pretty low on my list. I'm thinking the world could be a bit better if we all errored this direction a tinge.

Maybe it's about who you are celebrating with that matters. Any chance to catch a drink w friends or family is a good excuse to celebrate in my book. I would contrast that with the Seinfeld episode seen here https://youtu.be/unxHTEdye2A
:beer

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 am

My wife gave my son - a monster truck toy
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 am

This is a joke, right?

No freaking way someone would celebrate potty training. Say it ain't so, please.
Funding secured

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 am

tyrion wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm
Push gifts
'Babymoon's

And now celebrating (successful) potty training?

I feel like an old codger and I'm only in my mid-40s. I think we celebrated the end of potty training with a high-five or perhaps a kind word to each other? Maybe a drink on the deck.
+1 Man, I missed out on a lot of celebrations I was entitled to, LOL! ;)

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

PVW wrote:
PVW wrote:
Why the passive aggression? Did someone spit in your Metamucil this morning? :beer

Back in my day, you had to teach kids to go in an outhouse and forget teaching them to wipe with dried grass. It was so bad, it was easier to just teach them to hold it until we went into town for supplies. And even then, nobody threw us a party when our 6 year old stopped crapping on the floor under the kitchen table. My mom claims I wouldn't dig my own hole to poop in until I was 8, and she didn't get a party for anything until her wake.

Love it! :sharebeer
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm
#1 child is now potty trained. My wife did an incredible job with it and the kid is still happy. (My involvement was not insignificant but she carried the heaviest load) Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here...
Let us know what you decide, we're on the verge of our youngest being done. She's got # 1 down, just working on # 2 now!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am

Once Upon A Potty
Prudence
Good times :D
Our celebration: Yaay! No tangibles.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Perhaps you should write a song and post it on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG8KN_vOI6Q

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcujbW_em4

Gardener

Post by Gardener » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Hire a stripper to jump out of a cake?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

New carpets and have the non-carpeted floors steam cleaned.

Chief_Engineer

Post by Chief_Engineer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Contrats OP! Our oldest is mostly potty trained. I remember how excited we were in our early successes with him.

I don't know why everyone is being a party pooper (ha!). Personally my wife and I would have a night out without the kids to celebrate.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am
#1 child is now potty trained. My wife did an incredible job with it and the kid is still happy. (My involvement was not insignificant but she carried the heaviest load) Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here...
Let us know what you decide, we're on the verge of our youngest being done. She's got # 1 down, just working on # 2 now!
+1

We always like to hear the end of the story. Maybe your wife can help you decide. After all, you said she carried most of "the load". And if you are truly partners, she should have a say.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 am

I celebrate anything, and I usually celebrate with a bottle of sparkling wine and/or take out for dinner.

We limited our Costco trip to under $200 = wine and pizza because I'm too tired to cook after shopping at Costco
We cleaned out the basement = decent champagne
We saved up enough cash to pay for the kid's orthodontist and had money left over = good champagne
We got a raise= very good champagne
I walked 10 km in one day to hatch a Pokemon = tacos or Chinese
The Pokemon that just hatched was really good =wine and tacos
We hit any rounded number in our 401k = steak and wine
The flowers were pretty at Costco/Walmart/the guy walking between traffic = flower and cava
A new restaurant opened near us = new take out and appropriate wine
A movie we wanted to see but couldn't get to the theater on time but it is now on Netflix = sparkling and popcorn
The store has a good sale on wine = case or two or wine
Any of our assorted pets had a relatively cheap vet visit = wine and some lottery tickets because that kind of luck doesn't come often
Our daughter's first passport = trip to Niagara Falls and ice wine
Our daughter going to her first concert with us this past weekend = popcorn, tacos, and concert shirts for everyone. Yay!

I have learned to celebrate whatever you can, when you can. Life can change in an instant. People who don't see reasons to celebrate the small things must be blessed with incredibly boring lives.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:44 am

Congrats
Ms. Gamboolgal and I celebrated by opening up all the windows and turning on the fans to air the house

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 am

PVW wrote:
I laughed out loud.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 am

We high fived the first time, then in the days after we realized it was pre-mature. The second time around we waited to high five.

No offense, but I find it comical that you would celebrate this moment as well. Seems very odd to me, and I have never heard anyone do it. Are you going to celebrate when your kid dresses or bathes himself or herself?

Save something for the mother’s day card, or take your wife out for a nice dinner and tell her you appreciate her for her hard work with your child, but I wouldn’t celebrate potty training. So strange.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 am

I think most posters are missing the point of the thread. OP specifically asked, "How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here... and then said in a follow up post that the potty training was just an example. No one here has ever bothered to celebrate a spouse's remission, or retirement, or even just finally getting a rebate check in the mail?

Chief_Engineer

Post by Chief_Engineer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 am

NextMil wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 am
...or take your wife out for a nice dinner and tell her you appreciate her for her hard work with your child, but I wouldn’t celebrate potty training. So strange.
To me this would be celebrating the potty training. Child rearing is hard. My wife and I haven't had a vacation in 5 years and have averaged maybe 2 or 3 date nights / year. Any accomplishment should be reason to celebrate. A child being potty trained is a major milestone in raising children (no more diapers!) and deserves at a minimum a high-five for the work the two have put into this. Also I feel that I must point out the celebration is for the parents, not the child.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 am

Chief_Engineer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 am
NextMil wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 am
...or take your wife out for a nice dinner and tell her you appreciate her for her hard work with your child, but I wouldn’t celebrate potty training. So strange.
To me this would be celebrating the potty training. Child rearing is hard. My wife and I haven't had a vacation in 5 years and have averaged maybe 2 or 3 date nights / year. Any accomplishment should be reason to celebrate. A child being potty trained is a major milestone in raising children (no more diapers!) and deserves at a minimum a high-five for the work the two have put into this. Also I feel that I must point out the celebration is for the parents, not the child.
I don't disagree with you, but since you have only been on 2-3 date nights per year, did you celebrate potty training specifically? I was more suggesting a thank you to Mom for all the things she did, not just potty training, which from what I understand usually happens at least once a year on the second Sunday in May.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 am

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm
wine.
a day without the toddler.
with wine.
Be very CAREFUL here. Wine, without toddler, runs the risk of possibly creating another toddler. TAKE PRECAUTIONS

Can't recall doing more than sighing in relief. Now, when our oldest stopped wetting his bed (7), THAT I suspect we celebrated. Got very tiring with the pee monitor (yes, they make those) buzzing loudly to wake him up as he snored through it but we woke up.

But that was over 2 decades ago.

And no, it's not a "marriage milestone". Maybe a kid's milestone.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am

goodlifer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 am
I think most posters are missing the point of the thread. OP specifically asked, "How do you mark a milestone in your marriage that isn’t related to a birthday or anniversary? I’m looking for ideas here... and then said in a follow up post that the potty training was just an example. No one here has ever bothered to celebrate a spouse's remission, or retirement, or even just finally getting a rebate check in the mail?
Re-reading the original question and title of the thread might be in order.

Regardless, if one chooses to post a question relating to personal matters on the internet, he/she has to expect that there will be a small amount of helpful answers, a good number of answers that poke fun at the situation, and a number of answers that have nothing to do at all with the original question. Because it's the internet, it then behooves the OP & other posters to not take any of the answers personally or become overly sensitive about things. The ability to laugh at oneself is a dying art.

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am

goodlifer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 am
I celebrate anything, and I usually celebrate with a bottle of sparkling wine and/or take out for dinner.

We limited our Costco trip to under $200 = wine and pizza because I'm too tired to cook after shopping at Costco
We saved up enough cash to pay for the kid's orthodontist and had money left over = good champagne
The flowers were pretty at Costco/Walmart/the guy walking between traffic = flower and cava
A movie we wanted to see but couldn't get to the theater on time but it is now on Netflix = sparkling and popcorn
Any of our assorted pets had a relatively cheap vet visit = wine and some lottery tickets because that kind of luck doesn't come often
Our daughter going to her first concert with us this past weekend = popcorn, tacos, and concert shirts for everyone. Yay!

I have learned to celebrate whatever you can, when you can. Life can change in an instant. People who don't see reasons to celebrate the small things must be blessed with incredibly boring lives.
I don't see that so much as celebrating, but as finding any reason to have wine or alcohol. :happy

I'm not judging either. DW and I do the same. :sharebeer

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am
goodlifer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 am
Re-reading the original question and title of the thread might be in order.

Regardless, if one chooses to post a question relating to personal matters on the internet, he/she has to expect that there will be a small amount of helpful answers, a good number of answers that poke fun at the situation, and a number of answers that have nothing to do at all with the original question. Because it's the internet, it then behooves the OP & other posters to not take any of the answers personally or become overly sensitive about things. The ability to laugh at oneself is a dying art.

I believe in order to understand one's intent, you have to read more than just the title. Too many misunderstandings and posts not related to the actual intent of the thread only wind up derailing it. Understanding one's intentions is truly a lost art that the internet has helped to an early grave. I have no problem laughing at myself. I do it often enough to make people wonder what I am up to, which amuses me greatly.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

chevca wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am
goodlifer wrote:

I don't see that so much as celebrating, but as finding any reason to have wine or alcohol. :happy

Since I rarely drink now, just having a reason to celebrate with wine is a reason to celebrate. :twisted:

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I tried to describe the range of responses on this thread to my spouse; her response was that Bogleheads have to much time on their hands.

More seriously, this event brings its own reward. But for young parents dinner out without the kids is a good thing on occasion.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

chevca wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am
goodlifer wrote:

Hey, you are completely mis-characterizing goodlifer's ideas. She/he suggested popcorn, steak, flowers, lottery tickets, taco, etc. etc. to go with all that wine! :D

Goodlifer, I love your post. Sounds like you have a "good life." I'm going to steal some of your ideas. :D

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm

When I was a preteen my mother randomly announced quite happily, “your father paid the car off.” I had no idea what that meant, like, he had been driving the car for over a year. Wasn’t it already paid for? But my mother sounded so happy and being a lover of anything ice cream and cake, I offhandedly suggested we buy a Carvel ice cream cake. My mother without saying a word turned the car around to the nearest Carvel and we bought the cake. My dad was so surprised and happy that evening when he got home. That was over 30 years ago and I still remember the occasion better than some birthdays. If you want to celebrate, just enjoy!

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Celebrate? Since Daughter potty trained the week before we went to Disney my reaction was OMG...NO! I knew I'd have to hussle her to a bathroom any time she had to go. Our first day there I made her wear a pull up " just in case." A,d when I was standing with her in a long long women's bathroom line I was like " it's ok honey you can just use the pull up" And my kid looked at me like I was insane and said "What? No way!"

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:19 am

Following up here, I was inspired by the Golden Q-Tip to see about getting a diaper bronzed / mounted... apparently they are too absorbent. We went out for dinner at the local French restaurant, but I’m still examining the idea of a more tangible commemoration.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 am

Dantes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:06 pm
I tried to describe the range of responses on this thread to my spouse; her response was that Bogleheads have to much time on their hands.
I always thought that having lots of time was the point of being a Boglehead. :happy

As far as answering the OP about celebrating milestones, we solved this problem by just celebrating Wednesdays. We go out on the town and leave kids to fend for themselves. The only thing that would make it better would be if we lived in a non-rust belt city where there was actually a lot to do.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:02 am

is this a joke???

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 am

You can have this engraved with whatever you want: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FG ... 343sdfd-20

Or make it yourself: https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Lego-Pott ... y-43599174

And on Ebay, but buy it quick 'cuz there's only one!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/263022002114

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 am

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked.?

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am

New underwear for the whole family?

Wine?

Make another baby?

In that order.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:56 pm

PVW wrote:
PVW wrote:

Yeah, I bet the snow in July, lumps of coal for christmas and square wheels on the family Rikshaw you had to ride into town really toughened you up too :)

Darned youngsters!

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:19 am
Following up here, I was inspired by the Golden Q-Tip to see about getting a diaper bronzed / mounted... apparently they are too absorbent. We went out for dinner at the local French restaurant, but I’m still examining the idea of a more tangible commemoration.
Good for you. I'm glad you didn't let the killjoys in this thread influence your decision to celebrate.

Make another kid. They're very tangible, and they will be a constant reminder of "that time _____ got potty-trained". :D

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

My god do people love whining. I pray I never become that way.

Pretty sure OP isn't looking to start a new worldwide trend here.

OP, is there a restaurant that you've both been meaning to try and haven't had the chance yet? Maybe a day of golf if that's your thing or even a trip to the movies. Some time away from the toddler.

Pay no attention to the people here who are literally ignoring your question and instead trying to make themselves feel better about their lives at your expense. If you and your wife want to celebrate something, go for it.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm

NewPhoneWhoDis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

OP, is there a restaurant that you've both been meaning to try and haven't had the chance yet? Maybe a day of golf if that's your thing or even a trip to the movies. Some time away from the toddler.
You must have missed the OP's follow-up. He is planning quite the celebration for this milestone.

In addition to taking her to a French restaurant for dinner, he is "examining idea of a more tangible commemoration."
I have no clue what that might be. Maybe an excrement-shaped charm for a necklace?

Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for such an event.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:44 pm

researcher wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm
NewPhoneWhoDis wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

You must have missed the OP's follow-up. He is planning quite the celebration for this milestone.

In addition to taking her to a French restaurant for dinner, he is "examining idea of a more tangible commemoration."
I have no clue what that might be. Maybe an excrement-shaped charm for a necklace?

Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for such an event.
There must be a point in there somewhere.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 pm

rob65 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 pm
I’d say either a spa day for your wife or a nice dinner out for the two of you.

As I get older, I realize more and more that life is short and you should find reasons to celebrate.
+1
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm
celia wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm
Without going into detail, the task was sufficiently arduous that I’d like to mark the milestone in a meaningful way.

This is a marriage milestone for you?

I would just flush the toilet. :beer

.... and/or write it down in the child's baby book.
.... and/or post about it on Bogleheads.org so the whole world knows about your the kid's success.

I certainly hope this doesn't start a trend around here.
We're in the midst of this, with a stubborn 3yr old and my wife is about to lose it, but I am in total agreement with this. Potty-training can be unbelievably frustrating, but I am so over having a party/celebration for everything. I do not think our culture's progressing insistence that everything we do should result in some form of validation or very outward reward is a good thing at all.
I wrote my post to solicit ideas of how to celebrate something that isn’t a birthday or an anniversary, and gave an example. I expected neither admiration nor adulation from the Boglehead peanut gallery.

So, I take it you don’t celebrate your birthday or anniversary. Managing to not die / managing to not get divorced for another year are mundane things. I presume you’re intellectually consistent and refuse to celebrate such mediocrity. After all, everyone has a birthday every year.
I think finding ways to celebrate all of life's little triumphs makes for a life well lived. Not only does such an outlook boost personal happiness and satisfaction, I'm sure that finding any reason to express appreciation for one another's efforts leads to increased marital harmony. Sorry for all you old Scrooges' rough lives that have designated even small celebrations or purchases wasteful or even harmful. But hate to break it to you that sharing a milestone (however small) with your adult spouse is NOT comparable to giving every kid a participation trophy or otherwise promoting entitlement.

I found a nice bottle of champagne in the outdoor fridge this morning that is leftover from a party I had over a month ago. I've been in a celebratory mood all day thinking of excuses to pop it open tonight. So far all I've come up with is "I made it through a tough week," which was really more of a typical week - but who cares? I even bought some fancy cheese over my lunch break to go with it. Maybe I'll throw myself a little "yay I didn't gain any weight even though I didn't diet this week" party, or maybe a "my husband is out of town and I can have cheese and crackers for dinner" soiree. The opportunities are endless. :D

Back to the topic at hand: If my husband came home with fun plan for a trip or date night, a gift, a bottle of my favorite wine, a card/flowers, or a hug and a verbal acknowledgement (those are listed in order of awesomeness FYI) for ANYTHING he thinks I've done well or right lately, it would pretty much make my week.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

ktip

Post by ktip » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: something more tangible -- this could be used in a necklace, bracelet or, best I think, a single earring -- https://www.charmco.com/products/toilet ... charm.html

I really like this idea of more celebrating with spouse/ partner. I don't think I do that enough. Motivated me to pick up some bubbly and maybe a card on way home tonight.

praxis

Post by praxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

We don't celebrate many milestones anymore. We are retired empty nesters and just don't make a big deal out of them. It's time to start and this thread inspires me. Any nice surprise qualifies.

Certainly those who've either never potty trained a kid or can't remember such huge progress wouldn't understand the motivation.

Last night our DIL Facetimed us for a half hour with her two under two. The older girl had just "graduated" and, being a single parent during our son's frequent three week work trips, it was a notable event for her. We cheered along with them and laughed about the victory.

If she wasn't nursing, we would have shared our bottle of wine with her.

What's wrong with celebrating? There's joy in diaper independence for all involved.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

When in doubt, practice making another kid ;)