Install different carpet styles/colors in same floor bedrooms?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
scorp_pccorp

Install different carpet styles/colors in same floor bedrooms?

Post by scorp_pccorp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am

My wife wants to replace the upstairs carpet and install a new one. But she wants to do different patterns and styles in different rooms (eg. colorful patterns in kids rooms, classic color/style in master/guest bedrooms etc..). She also wants high-end plush carpets.

I spoke to a carpet installer and he said there would be a lot more wastage and cost due to the multiple cuts that have to be made per room. He also said plush carpets don't really come in patterns/colors and that only thin pile ones usually have them so we would be limited to those. We asked him to provide quotes anyway to see what it comes to.

If cost is not a concern, is it still a bad idea to do this? Will it look odd or strange? We plan to live in the house for at least 15-20 years. She says if buyers don't like it, we can replace the carpets with a standard one at that time.

PoppyA

Re: Install different carpet styles/colors in same floor bedrooms?

Post by PoppyA » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:33 am

A high end plush should last forever and have a timeless look.
"La Bella Luna"

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

scorp_pccorp wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am
If cost is not a concern, is it still a bad idea to do this? Will it look odd or strange?
It's a matter of taste. It is not usual and will look odd or strange to most people. It's a degree or two beyond painting walls in various rooms different uncoordinated colors. At least try to choose colors that coordinate well together so that it is not so jarring.

I don't think I've ever seen patterned wall-to-wall carpeting actually in someone's home besides in the common lobby and hallways of an apartment building, other than in photos. Exception would be official residences such as the White House and a few historical houses furnished in strict period style.

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am

I assume there is some sort of common area or hallway between all of these rooms. If there is, this common area needs to have a very neutral-looking hard flooring, preferably hard wood. This will make the bedrooms with their different carpet patterns less unusual looking.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am

In such matters people should please themselves.

My personal taste would be for different carpets in different rooms and finished wood in hallways to separate the rooms. If the hallways are carpeted then separate carpets in separate rooms seems more disjointed. But again see sentence above. If it costs more, that is just a decision you make.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

momvesting wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am
I assume there is some sort of common area or hallway between all of these rooms. If there is, this common area needs to have a very neutral-looking hard flooring, preferably hard wood. This will make the bedrooms with their different carpet patterns less unusual looking.
This is a great idea.

Also, assuming that you do indeed live in this house a long time (not always a given as thought, however), then decorate as YOU wish. That's part of the charm/fun/freedom of owning!

And if it is "eccentric" in any way, well, in your case, you can simply plan to put in fresh hardwood floors just before putting it on the market. They don't need to be expensive.
The carpets may look worn by then anyway. Or replace with all neutral carpeting.
Decide then, in terms of what is "expected" in your neighborhood and price point.

It's a lot cheaper than trying to replace a really idiosyncratic bathroom, in all black stone walls and floors/black sink/black everything, or with a huge nude in hand-made mosaic on the full shower wall. Yup, we saw both of those (in two different homes).
Not surprisingly, the house with the nude went off market, and came back on a few months later with "New bathrooms!"

Enjoy your home :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

scorp_pccorp

Post by scorp_pccorp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 am

momvesting wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am
Agree that this is a fantastic idea and one we did not think of. Thanks. We do have a foyer connecting all the bedrooms. Having hardwood here will definitely make this multiple style carpet idea work much better.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:16 am

We bought a home with different carpet styles in each of the four upstairs bedrooms. One was patterned, one was sculpted, one was shag, one was plush pile. The prior owner was a carpet installer -- we presumed he was being frugal with his leftovers. :happy

It may have been frugal, but it wasn't well-coordinated. We replaced it all with a single style.

Make yourselves happy and enjoy your home!

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 am

High end plush. Make me think "deep pile"

from https://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-and- ... -carpeting
Usually all types are soil and stain resistant. This type of carpeting also has protective chemicals added to the surface of the fibers that work to repel stains caused from spills. These chemicals also prevent tracked-in dirt from sticking to the fiber.
Sounds like you have kids. And even if you don't, all those chemicals outgas and cause a variety of health problems. Consider finding out what chemicals are used and getting the MSDS sheets for them.

There are a few disadvantages associated with plush carpeting that homeowners should be aware of before investing in this type of carpeting material. The level of carpet fiber ends in the pile, which is not good for high-traffic areas. Plush carpeting also has a tendency to show tracks left behind by vacuuming or footsteps, which can be an unattractive aspect for some people.
I knew a wealthy couple who had their entire high-end house done in ivory plush carpet. It was beautiful. Until someone stepped on it. Those footprints never went away until she backed her way out of the rooms with a vacuum. It's really hard to not see the footprints smashed down and the pretty plush standing upright right next to it. With the upright being the sight you want to see.
That's not something I'd do to someone I loved. And had to live with...

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

This is a design no no. I also think you will tire of it over time.
Tell your wife to get creative with paint, décor, window treatments. All are easier to change every couple years.

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

I'd put down hardwoods and then change out big decorative area rugs as kids get older. Plus easier to replace if damaged or as tastes change with age. But I really like hardwood floors :)
Have fun decorating.

leeks

Post by leeks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Toadandfriends wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm
I'd put down hardwoods and then change out big decorative area rugs as kids get older. Plus easier to replace if damaged or as tastes change with age. But I really like hardwood floors :)
Have fun decorating.
+1 on area rugs in each room over hardwood floors
carpet can be a challenge to indoor air quality
http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/hea ... rpets.html

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Toadandfriends wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm
Have fun decorating.
Actually, what is under those carpets?

We had a leak from the attic AC system shortly after moving in.
Yes, traumatic, yes expensive (even with decent insurance), but... that's how we learned rather quickly that there were GORGEOUS hardwood floors under the old wall-to-wall carpeting in all of the upstairs bedrooms.
Yup, we should have explored that, but it wouldn't have changed our desire to buy the house either way.

And those floors were shiny almost like new; they'd clearly been protected for many decades.

We've now got lovely oriental rugs, with the hardwood showing around the edges, etc., and nice runners in the hallways.

Oddly, the stairs were not finished at all, so we had those refinished, and had runners installed there, too.

It looks amazing... what a nice surprise.

And sure, get the children whatever crazy theme or patterned throw rugs they like.
(Or even do that if you just keep the current carpeting, rather than paying to change it. Then they can easily change theme/color/etc., as they get a bit older, or there is a new "theme du jour" for their age group, etc.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:28 am

The larger the house the easier it is to get away with different flooring choices in different areas.

Notice I said "get away with," because it's easy for everything to look disjointed... as if you added on one room at a time and decorated each independently from one another.

I like the idea of selecting a uniform carpet for all of the rooms on the same floor of the home, and then customizing the look with large rugs and tasteful variations in paint colors and room accessories.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:39 am

Are you going to sell the house in the next 5 years? If so one type of flooring and neutral. If you aren't selling it within 5 years do what you want if you are willing to live with it for a long time. If the kids want a fun color in their rooms I'd focus on paint. A lot easier and cheaper to repaint than to replace flooring and furniture. What's fun for a 7 year old would not be fun for a 15 year old.

rixer

Post by rixer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 am

You mention that you'll be staying in the house for 15-20 years before you sell. The carpet probably won't last that long so you'll be replacing it anyway in all likelihood. Go with what you like. :beer

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:51 am

I think doing what you like always trumps what other people think.

verbose

Post by verbose » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:44 pm

I have different carpets in different, adjacent rooms and one room (not adjacent to other carpet) even has patterned carpet.

I love it. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. And it matches each room that is painted a different color. Nobody has yet visited my house and told me they don’t like it. (Would be pretty rude, right?)

Modern plush carpet will require a powerful vacuum using a head designed for carpet with adjustable pile height. Many vacuums sold today are only suitable for floors and low-pile carpets. I had to buy a new head for my Miele canister when I had plush carpet installed.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:12 pm

I am not here to represent that I have a knack for this stuff. I have an interior designer in the family and she always takes the lead. We need to love what she selects, and of course we veto anything that doesn't have strong appeal to us.

I've been in a lot of houses that looked like they were decorated by a clown troupe, and the owners were still quite proud.

It's up to you if you want people thinking that you might want a trapeze for Christmas.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:27 pm

I would second placing a hardwood or even laminate down on the second floor and use large area rugs throughout. Might be cheaper than four different types of carpet. (Maybe) Another option could be fun area rugs in each room over a neutral carpet. That might be your cheapest option yet. We had wall to wall carpet on the second floor when we moved in and inevitably kids run in their muddy shoes upstairs, sneak sticky foods or vomit. After six years the carpet went and a hardwood with area rugs came in. Area rugs are much easier to replace. The other thing to consider is that styles change. We had a solar system rug in our basement. Kids picked it three to four years ago and are now over it and now we have something a bit more adult but still playful. I’m sure it will change again in five years or so.

Either way with a 15 yr time frame, the carpet will be destroyed unless protected with the area rugs and you can pick something more buyer friendly.