Does anyone use Imperfect Produce?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DWesterb2iz2

Does anyone use Imperfect Produce?

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am

Has anyone here subscribed to Imperfect Produce and if you have, has it been a good experience? Do you save money with it?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.imperfectproduce.com

barnaclebob

Re: Does anyone use Imperfect Produce?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am

A friend has given us some of the produce from her imperfect produce box and it was barely damaged at all. Maybe a couple brown spots on an orange or apple. Seemed like a good way to go but we have a CSA food box so we don't need it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting. The prices actually look reasonable for delivered produce assuming that the contents are good but it's not available in my ZIP code.

It is aggravating to have to click "sign up" to find out what the options and prices are but at least you don't have to give an email address as on some sites.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

Never heard of it. Looks interesting, but doesn't deliver to my area. They do deliver to "Indianapolis, Illinois", wherever that is, though.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
Never heard of it. Looks interesting, but doesn't deliver to my area. They do deliver to "Indianapolis, Illinois", wherever that is, though.
It's right next to Champaign, Indiana

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Indianapolis, Ilinois....well just shows it's Imperfect!! ;)

Similar programs are around here and are popular. What they call imperfect (and what grocers are discarding) is really amazing. I have had no issues with the product, even better when it's 30-50% off.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Im able to find most of my produce at $1 and less per pound which this service cannot beat.

Derby

Post by Derby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 pm

I use it and like it. It's definitely cheaper than Safeway or Trader Joe's, although on some items the Chinese grocery down the street can beat them.

A lot of their produce is surplus, which is why it doesn't look too imperfect.

I'm pleased with the selection of items and the convenience, which makes me eat more fresh veggies because they're there on my doorstep! :happy
Carpe Diem.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

How do their prices compare to Aldi produce prices? I’ve often felt Aldi ascribes to a similar model although I haven’t validated the theory yet.
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 pm

We used to subscribe to Imperfect Produce, but only for a couple of months. It was okay and prices were fair (little bit cheaper than Raley’s). We didn’t always receive what we opted for or would receive one item and six of another. The greens and carrots never lasted very long. It’s worth it if you want the challenge of cooking what comes in the box or you don’t have time to shop for produce or have the need for many sturdy boxes. For me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly.