Trade-up my $89 Walmart bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjsob58

Trade-up my $89 Walmart bike

Post by rjsob58 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 am

Retired and currently ride 6-12 miles a day, 3-5 days a week. Never spent more than $100 on a bike. I enjoy riding and believe I would ride a lot more with the right bike. Not really interested in mountain/off-road and our area has lots of great paved/gravel/dirt paths. I went to a local bike shop and test road a Trek DS2. It was light years beyond my current ride, but I have have this mental block on spending $600+ on a bike. I did some research and the DS1 is $489, just under my $500 threshold. The biggest differences (DS1 to 2) seem to be a "lockable" front shock, hydraulic disc brakes and 24 speeds on the DS2 vs mechanical disc brakes and 21 speeds on the DS1. So I'm leaning toward the DS1.

Any other makes/models I should be looking at?

Any other features to consider? I don't do any real maintenance on my current bike, so the disc brakes, shocks and gear/chain mechanisms worry me a bit, but the bike shop provides 1 year of "tune-ups" with the purchase.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Trade-up my $89 Walmart bike

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 am

The DS1 sounds like a great bike. I bought my son an entry level road bike about 6 years ago. Don't remember the model, but it's a Trek and an entry level bike. We chose it by riding that and a Specialized on the bike trail near our bike shop, then swapped. I'm amazed how good today's entry level bikes are. As light and better shifting than the absolute top end bike I built in high school as a bike shop employee and bike racer in 1974 that would have cost $4000 in today's money. We paid $700 for that Trek.

Buy the DS1 after a test ride. With the miles you're doing and the fact that you're retired, why wouldn't you? Sell the Wal Mart bike on craigslist for $25 to get some money back and to give someone else a chance to ride.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 am

Have you checked Craigslist? If you're patient you can pick up a great deal on a lightly used bike.
If you decide to buy a new Trek, you may want to check with other dealers if you have more in your town. I've bought several Trek's and my dealer always offered lifetime tuneups (adjusting shifters and brakes).

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 am

What is your net worth? What kind of income do you have?

If either are high, then get over your price prejudice and buy the bike. Having a good bike is an amazing thing to own. It will help keep you healthy, happy, and around for your grandchildren. They need you. You deserve a bit of luxury. So you are paying 600 for a bike, back in the 80's who would have paid 40k for a moderate car, or have a $600 a month car payment? Only the insane.

Also don't stop spending there, get:

A decent helmet (30-50)
Lights
Water bottle cage
two or three water bottles
a flat repair kit with co2 pump
extra tubes

If riding recreationally consider:
a basket
fenders

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am

I like Bikesdirect as well but if you don't do your own mechanics you will need to budget about $100 to have a bike shop assemble and make adjustments.

Anything would be superior to a Walmart bike. That is like the difference between those old disposable film cameras they used to sell and a professional photographer's camera.

It really depends on the type of riding you want to do. For short casual rides on pavement you don't need suspension and you might want to consider getting a road bike if you want to do longer or club rides. The DS are hybrids and can do limestone and slight technical trails but are not as efficient on pavement and suspension robs you of power. Pressure on the pedals goes to depressing the suspension rather than moving the drive-train.

Walmart bikes are one size fits all, are made with cheap stamped parts that don't hold their adjustments nor function well, are heavy and made with cheap carbon steel, have poor quality bearings, cables, and housings, assembly is often poor (not using enough grease in bearings and torquing things correctly) and have an average 75 mile life expectancy. Any bike store brand bike would be vastly superior. I have road bikes that have seen 20k miles. I have a carbon bike with 17k miles on it.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am

Get the Trek. You'll enjoy it so much. :sharebeer
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 am

About 5 years ago, I was heavy into Mtn. biking and road biking. Maybe 100 to 150 miles per week on the road bike during the summers. It consumed a ton of my time.

I bought my 2 bikes on craigslist from folks who gave up the sport. I don't even want to say how much I spent on them.

Look on CL and you'll find decent deals. Have patience. Find a deal, google it for reviews, and schedule time with the seller to test it out.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 am

In my opinion at that price point, most of the name brand bikes are the same for the price. They are all made in the same Taiwan factories, mostly the same components and quality.

Unless your doing some aggressive heavy downhill/tight turns, no need for hydraulic brakes, but wow they are nice. Mechanical brakes would be just fine. The lockable front shock would be nice when your riding on paved/gravel as you really don't need the shock, but not a needed upgrade to lock it out. 24 speeds vs the 21 speeds, unless your riding on very hilly trails, youll be fine with 21spd.

Also based on your mileage, I wouldn't expect more beyond a 1 year tune up. Even then I think you could stretch it to two years.

Buy the Trek and enjoy. Think of it this way, its an investment into your health and happiness. You are probably putting 156 hours a year on your bike (assuming you are riding year around), that is 3 dollars an hour for the first year.
Last edited by Andyrunner on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 am

There is a vast difference between the Walmart and a Trek (or say Specialized) bike. If you are willing to shop on internet and have the expertise to assemble and tune a bike in box, you could save some money. Otherwise having local bike store handle all that is worth that extra premium.

Between the two, I would probably choose the DS1 but that is because you really do not want springs on a road bike and having them and then locking them only add just weight to the bike. The difference between 21 vs 24 speed is laughable and is not even worth giving a second thought. Go with the one which is lighter of the two.

I am still riding 20+ year old department store (BUT MADE IN USA!) Huffy bike because for me, it works and I enjoy tinkering with it.

boglebill

Post by boglebill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am

I'm an avid cyclist. A nice bike makes a huge difference in terms of ride quality, comfort, durability, and maintainability.

I do not order bikes online unless I have ridden that exact model and know it fits. All bikes fit different.

Gym memberships cost anywhere from $10-$150 per month, and maintaining your health (physical and mental) is surely worth something.

Ride bikes be happy. :)

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 am

Im retired too and two years ago I bought a mid 70's Schwinn Continental in great condition at a garage sale for $35, using it for my urban and paved path travels. Cleaned it up, did a little maintenance and although it only has 10 speeds and its heavier than today's models , it still rides nice. As Im getting older I may modify the handlebars from the drop style to something a bit more comfortable.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am

The Trek is a good choice. If you have an REI near you, look at their their bikes too.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

A retired friend of mine bought a 3G brand Newport 7 speed beach cruiser. He bikes 10 miles a day. Loves the bike because of the comfort riding. $459.00

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 am

rjsob58 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 am
Retired and currently ride 6-12 miles a day, 3-5 days a week. Never spent more than $100 on a bike. I enjoy riding and believe I would ride a lot more with the right bike. Not really interested in mountain/off-road and our area has lots of great paved/gravel/dirt paths. I went to a local bike shop and test road a Trek DS2. It was light years beyond my current ride, but I have have this mental block on spending $600+ on a bike. I did some research and the DS1 is $489, just under my $500 threshold. The biggest differences (DS1 to 2) seem to be a "lockable" front shock, hydraulic disc brakes and 24 speeds on the DS2 vs mechanical disc brakes and 21 speeds on the DS1. So I'm leaning toward the DS1.

Any other features to consider? I don't do any real maintenance on my current bike, so the disc brakes, shocks and gear/chain mechanisms worry me a bit, but the bike shop provides 1 year of "tune-ups" with the purchase.
I am no expert on bikes. But we just bought an entry level Haro for my daughter and it fits my wife as well. It cost about $350 and is incredibly light. My daughter is really happy with it.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 am

No question get the bike and you will find that bike shops will be willing to work on it. No one wants or will work on an 89 dollar bike. I like the lockable feature but not essential. Trek’s are good bike. See if you can buy from local Trek dealer (establish a relationship) they have a $39 one time flat tire fee that allows you to bring flat tires in as long as you own bike.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am

boglebill wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am
I'm an avid cyclist. A nice bike makes a huge difference in terms of ride quality, comfort, durability, and maintainability.

I do not order bikes online unless I have ridden that exact model and know it fits. All bikes fit different.

Gym memberships cost anywhere from $10-$150 per month, and maintaining your health (physical and mental) is surely worth something.

Ride bikes be happy. :)
+1 A decent quality bike which fits you well is one of life's pleasures. If you like the DS2, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The $500-800 range is what you should expect to pay for a good quality entry level bike at your local bike store. And compared to many things, it is a bargain for what you get. After all, you probably spend $100+ every month on cell phone bills, cable/internet, and all sorts of other things which you won't be able to use for years to come.

I would steer clear of buying a bike from craigslist, online, etc. You can get great deals, but also have to have some knowledge to avoid counterfeits, be sure the bike is assembled properly, fits properly, etc. That'll be a great option when you decide to add to your stable :-).

Plus it is useful to have a relationship with friendly folks at a local bike store. They will be happy to help you with tune-ups, adjusting the fit on your bike, advising you on local places to ride, accessories you might need, etc.

In true BH fashion, keep it simple: buy the DS2 and enjoy it!
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am

You can find a great bike in great condition on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace that retails for $500-$700, for at least $200-$300 cheaper than retail price. I'd look for models you like in the store, then do a search for that model on Craigslist or Facebook. If you live in a city or metro area, you will find tons of options available. After purchasing, I'd take it into a bike shop for a quick tune-up for cheap.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am

Don't be cheap. Buy the DS1 or DS2. You'll be glad you did. 10 years ago I agonized about spending $350 dollars on an entry level Trek Hybrid 7200. Best money I ever spent as far as health benefits and enjoyment. Last year bike was stolen, and again, I agonized over replacing it with a more expensive Trek. This time a FXS4 for about 1K. Again, really glad I did. You only live once, live healthy and happy.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am

rjsob58 wrote:

Get over the mental block of spending $600+ on a bike. When you get up in the $8000-$12K high performance area, then we can talk about your concerns. :mrgreen:

Go to a dealer that also sells Specialized bikes and demo some of them. Same for a dealer that carries Giant. It's important to note that Giant makes most of the bikes in the entire world (in their Taiwan facility) and sells the frames to most other companies (including Trek). Those companies contract out with the Taiwan facility. So it really is all about the paint job, and the level of components since the lion's share of components come from Shimano or SRAM (or some low end budget fringe companies). The higher end (lighter, better, stiffer, carbon, various metal, bells and whistles) raises the price for each bike category. Low end Tektro components, with machine made alumninum wheels (that will go out of true nearly as often as the sun shines) is in the old saying "you get what you pay for". If you are heavy (over 175-185 pounds), I would pony up for more durable equipment. High end bike are not designed for rider's that weigh more than 175 pounds. The heavier the bike, the cheaper the price in other words.

Get one that fits (most important), and has a decent level of components beyond the base entry level. Good wheels that remain true are a must! A budget of $600-$1500 is a good target audience where you get the most bang for your buck.

I would never put a child or an adult on any bike from Walmart. Having worked on the neighborhood's bikes in my garage for the past 15 years as a side hobby, it is safe to say the Walmart junk is a near death sentence.

Move on and pay up.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

rjsob58 wrote:

ebay and craigslist are the places to go. Cycling is my main hobby (as evidenced by my user name), and some of the fora I frequent also has good deals (roadbikereview and mtbr). The buy/sell section of pinkbikes is pretty good as well.

This probably won't convince you otherwise to get the Trek (or another bike of similar caliber), but a decent chain, cassette, and tires would cost ~$150 (viz. consumables to be replaced every year at your usage). For $500 (new or used), your bike would be quite a bit more serviceable.

If you want to save cost, disc brakes are necessary on MTB and extremely knarly road descents (think 2 miles at 10% avg, with sections of varying pitches), but isn't necessary on the road or trail. Suspension is also nice, but aren't necessary on paths (though they are nice on gravels). Suspensions also need to be flushed every 1-2 years, at your current rate of usage.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am

"Retired and currently ride 6-12 miles a day, 3-5 days a week"

Get any bicycle your heart desires.
If you can afford it I would not question the cost.
You worked hard all your life.
Enjoy yourself....
👊
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

El Greco wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am
Don't be cheap. Buy the DS1 or DS2. You'll be glad you did. 10 years ago I agonized about spending $350 dollars on an entry level Trek Hybrid 7200. Best money I ever spent as far as health benefits and enjoyment. Last year bike was stolen, and again, I agonized over replacing it with a more expensive Trek. This time a FXS4 for about 1K. Again, really glad I did. You only live once, live healthy and happy.
Agree. I'd go further and say that hydraulic brakes and lockable shock are worth it IMO. Have you tried them? If I were making the decision, it would be the DS2. It's pennies per mile. Don't sweat it (instead, do sweat it biking).

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

Yes, a good bike is worth it.

Given that this is your first good bike, go to a bike shop. Actually, go to several bike shops. Talk to different people there and test ride a number of different bikes. The most important things is that you find something that fits you well and makes sense for what you want to do with it. If you don't feel like the salesperson is listening or steering you to something you don't need, then move on. You're going to have more fun on a good bike that shifts well and fits your body. Speaking of shifting, I think it's well worth it to spend a little more to get something with a good groupset (the shifters and brakes). It's no fun to constantly grind gears or throw a chain. For road-type bikes with Shimano brand components, this means at least the Sora line, ideally Tiagra. (Claris is lower and can be dodgy. 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace are higher level, but beyond what you need.) Someone else would have to weigh in on mountain bike style line or SRAM components as I've lost sight of these.

For people that already know bikes, Craigslist is a great place to buy them, but for someone that isn't, I would steer clear. I know how to size up a bike, what type of geometry works best for me, what styles are right for my type of riding, where to look for cracks on aluminum or carbon fiber bikes, how to spot if somethings wrong with bearings, headsets, etc. But if you don't, then you're likely to end up on the wrong bike and waste money in the process.

crobux

Post by crobux » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Cheap, light or durable. Pick two.

Tecktser

Post by Tecktser » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

I bought a middle of the road Trek road bike a few years ago. I went to several bike shops and they were happy i was shopping around since they wanted me to be happy with my purchase. I took a several 2-3 mile test rides. I found some models felt OK at first but not so after a mile or 2. Don't skimp and take your time.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:05 pm

rjsob58 wrote:
Retired and currently ride 6-12 miles a day, 3-5 days a week.
Lets call this 3 hours of riding a week, 40 weeks a year. That's 120 hours. So that is what, $1 an hour between the bike you really want, and the next one down? And that is for one year, the bike will last many more, making the cost per hour nothing. Get the better bike, IMHO,
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

jriding

Post by jriding » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I would advise against any kind of shock for the kind of riding you describe. It adds cost and weight for very little benefit if the roughest terrain consists of maintained gravel roads. You will get more benefit with a properly inflated (~40-50 psi) and wide (40 mm) gravel tire.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Based on feature set, I'd lean toward the DS1. That said, if there is an REI near you, check out their house brand, Novara. They pack a good bang for the buck, and come in many different styles.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm

jriding wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm
I would advise against any kind of shock for the kind of riding you describe. It adds cost and weight for very little benefit if the roughest terrain consists of maintained gravel roads. You will get more benefit with a properly inflated (~40-50 psi) and wide (40 mm) gravel tire.
+1. Sounds like a hybrid or even a cyclocross bike would be a lot better for this particular situation

Post by 123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 pm

I got a Trek bike a couple of years ago, paid around $600 for it, and have been very pleased with it. One decision factor I had was whether or not to get disc brakes. I decided against disc brakes because of the higher costs to maintain/adjust/repair them. I just got the "old reliable" brakes.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Lifelong cyclist. If you are using the bike as much as you indicate it is well worth the $600-$700. Lord knows I've spent 10x that on a bike without regret.

1. Agree with comments on not getting a bike with shocks. You are not riding bumpy terrain, so that is just dead weight and added $$.
2. Agree with looking at other dealers (Specialized or Giant or?).
3. Don't bother with Craigslist. You will get valuable service and advice by buying from a local bike shop
4. Take a look at the Trek Zektor 2. About same price, but a bit more road oriented.
5. I like disk breaks, but may not be that big a deal in your case.

I love cycling because of all of the wonderful places it takes me.

Ride safe. Keep the rubber side down. It's a wonderful world out there!

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 pm

I'd recommend picking up a specialized sirrus carbon sport. They can be had in eBay for $900, less thru Craigslist.... But wait till I buy mine, I don't want you driving up the price.

Currently my winter / city bike is a priority continuum onyx bike with belt drive and nuvinchi cvt hub ($950). My summer commuter is a felt carbon fx with disc brakes I picked up for $670 off Craigslist. I ride daily year round since we are a 1 car family.

Bike maintenance is super cheap compared to car maintenance, just pay the LBS to do it.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

And never *listen* to any cyclist who has clip-on pedals on their bike. Those folks are in completely different stratosphere than us mere mortals who are doing just recreational biking. They have no memory of their earlier days and when they give you any advice, it is pretty much useless to you.

I am exaggerating but only a little bit :-)

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm

i still remember the first time i tried to stop at a red light, while clipped in; tumbled onto the ground and hit the car in front of me

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 am
. As Im getting older I may modify the handlebars from the drop style to something a bit more comfortable.

Modern road bikes are more comfortable than the old ten speeds. I think drop bars are more versatile than hybrid bars. I move my hands constantly beween top, bends and brake hoods due to arthritis in my thumb joints.

The drops are only for riding into a strong headwind. No racing for me... :(

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am
And never *listen* to any cyclist who has clip-on pedals on their bike. Those folks are in completely different stratosphere than us mere mortals who are doing just recreational biking. They have no memory of their earlier days and when they give you any advice, it is pretty much useless to you.

Is there anybody who calls themselves a "cyclist" who does not use clipless pedals?

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

6-12 miles/day? I'd spend at least twice as much. Put your money where your energy goes. You won't regret it.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 pm

While at the Trek dealer, look at the FX1 and FX2 (or higher) models instead if the DS. You can get them with or without disk brakes.

The FX is a bit less mountain and off road oriented than the DS. They are well suited for paved and gravel trails. The geometry and design may work a bit better for you. Ride both and compare before buying.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm

I work as a volunteer bike mechanic in a shop and for an organization that fixes bikes to give to kids (FB4Kz). I work on 400 to 500 adult bikes per year.
The quality and the ride that you get with a Trek, Specialized, Diamondback, Giant or Novara (REI) are all worth the extra money. The components are better, they hold up well and they are easy to maintain and fix. All of these brands have entry level bikes for less than $500. Yes, there are better, lighter bikes for the serious aficionado, but these brands entry level to mid range bikes will serve the average rider well.

Riding position is very important for us older riders. I would suggest looking at hybrids, but a lighter weight mountain bike with narrower 26" tires (I run 26 X 1.5 or 1.75 on my mountain bikes) will also provide you with a comfortable ride under the conditions you mentioned. A mid 1990's Trek 700 Multitrack hybrid is my everyday ride of choice even though I own a half dozen newer more expensive bikes.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

Is there anybody who calls themselves a "cyclist" who does not use clipless pedals?
MTB trial riders? Certain XC MTB riders also don't use clipless, but that's just throwing energy away...

Also when I'm just lounging about, I'll wear sneakers. Though my MTB shoes are comfortable enough that I can wear them for running errands, too. Nothing says embarrassing like falling on your rear on slippery supermarket floors (yes, I've done this as well). To make it a trifecta, also fell on my rear the first few times I attempted a track stand. I think I can commiserate fully with all cyclists :)

rjsob58

Post by rjsob58 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for all the responses. I did end up going to other dealers and checking out other bikes. I liked the disc brakes since part of my normal "trail" is on a main road. I use the sidewalk and I've had cars pull out or turn into side streets in front of me, so stopping power was important. The sales people at the 3 shops I visited all knew the trail I use and recommend the front shocks. I ended up getting the more expensive DS2 and took my first full ride on it this morning. I don't think the shocks were worth the extra money, but I love the ride so no real buyer's remorse. I did my normal route almost 15 minutes quicker and 3mph faster pace. I'm going to extend my route and put the heart monitor back on to get another baseline.

Thanks again.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

MTB trial riders? Certain XC MTB riders also don't use clipless, but that's just throwing energy away...

Also when I'm just lounging about, I'll wear sneakers. Though my MTB shoes are comfortable enough that I can wear them for running errands, too. Nothing says embarrassing like falling on your rear on slippery supermarket floors (yes, I've done this as well). To make it a trifecta, also fell on my rear the first few times I attempted a track stand. I think I can commiserate fully with all cyclists :)
I just wear sneakers too, when I am cycling 1/2 mile to take my kids to the library. I am just wondering if wrongfunds suggestion to not take advice from anybody who uses clipless pedals was in jest? Clipless pedals may be the single greatest technological advancement in cycling, they dramatically increase efficiency; there are some instances where they aren't worth the hassle, but I'd be far more inclined to suggest you don't take advice about bikes from someone who doesn't use clipless then the other way around.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am

Congrats on the purchase. A good set of wheels is worth the money. Safe riding!

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 am

rjsob58 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am
Thanks for all the responses. I did end up going to other dealers and checking out other bikes. I liked the disc brakes since part of my normal "trail" is on a main road. I use the sidewalk and I've had cars pull out or turn into side streets in front of me, so stopping power was important. The sales people at the 3 shops I visited all knew the trail I use and recommend the front shocks. I ended up getting the more expensive DS2 and took my first full ride on it this morning. I don't think the shocks were worth the extra money, but I love the ride so no real buyer's remorse. I did my normal route almost 15 minutes quicker and 3mph faster pace. I'm going to extend my route and put the heart monitor back on to get another baseline.

Thanks again.
Enjoy!

Ride it like you stole it!

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

rjsob58 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks again.
Enjoying the ride is what matters most. Good to see you are putting the new bike to good use
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am
I just wear sneakers too, when I am cycling 1/2 mile to take my kids to the library. I am just wondering if wrongfunds suggestion to not take advice from anybody who uses clipless pedals was in jest? Clipless pedals may be the single greatest technological advancement in cycling, they dramatically increase efficiency; there are some instances where they aren't worth the hassle, but I'd be far more inclined to suggest you don't take advice about bikes from someone who doesn't use clipless then the other way around.
Surely it was in jest. Though some roadies are quite insufferable...

Btw, check out these shoes from Shimano. Looks almost like a pair of retro sneakers, except they accept SPD cleats. Also comes in charcoal w/ pink accents and black w/ orange accents