Boring Job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JF2141

Boring Job

Post by JF2141 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Okay everyone looking for some advice. Just graduated from college a few months back and landed my first job. At first I was really enjoying the job and excited to go to work but now I have been assigned to a task that only takes about 2 hours of actual work per day. I come from a job where I could easily do 50 hours of demanding work a week so this was a big change for me. Also i do not see really any advancement ooputunities in the future. So I guess my question is has anyone ever quit a job out of boredom? I think I'll stay at this one a few more months just for something to pad my resume with. Thanks and I will appreciate any insight.

eer_no_evil

Re: Boring Job

Post by eer_no_evil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm

My best advice would be to use your free time to find another job- I’d never advise someone to quit a job without having another lined up - especially so early in your career.

Best of luck.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm
So I guess my question is has anyone ever quit a job out of boredom?
Yes.

But not my first job. And not after just a few months.

It's not unusual to go into a job that is wrong for you right after school. While you are young is the time to try different jobs/fields before you settle down to a career.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Certainly depends on the pay. What's your major? What field are you working in?

dad2000

Post by dad2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Assuming that you're doing a good job with the current task, can't you volunteer to help with something more challenging?

If not, then I see no problem with leaving. I'm not sure that I'd even wait around to pad the resume, assuming that a better job becomes available to you.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Have you told your boss that you have the capacity to take on more work?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Okay everyone looking for some advice. Just graduated from college a few months back and landed my first job. At first I was really enjoying the job and excited to go to work but now I have been assigned to a task that only takes about 2 hours of actual work per day. I come from a job where I could easily do 50 hours of demanding work a week so this was a big change for me. Also i do not see really any advancement ooputunities in the future. So I guess my question is has anyone ever quit a job out of boredom? I think I'll stay at this one a few more months just for something to pad my resume with. Thanks and I will appreciate any insight.
JF2141,

1) That means you have 6 hours every day to look for other interesting stuff to do at your current employer.

2) I never let my job limit what I can do at my employer.

KlangFool

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm

why arnt you finding more work to do?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm

It sounds like you took over for me when I left my last job. Does your boss micromanage the entire company (literally)? Are you called into his office if you leave before 5:01 and zero seconds ever? Do you have to write down what you do in 15 minute intervals? Are you bound by a non-compete agreement that holds you to the job because you're very specialized?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JF2141

Post by JF2141 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm

There is only so much I can do since I am new to the field and my tasks are scheduled throughout the day for longer periods of time then it takes me so I can't tell my boss that I finished something early or else it looks bad

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm
There is only so much I can do since I am new to the field and my tasks are scheduled throughout the day for longer periods of time then it takes me so I can't tell my boss that I finished something early or else it looks bad
Do contract work or work on your novel/side business.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Why does it look bad to tell your boss you can complete a task more quickly than expected? I'd think that looks good and would assign you more work.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Not just it is more of being honest to tell your boss that you have more free time, but also this can lead him to give you more responsibilities to do. And when it is time to ask for a raise or a promotion you would find a base to build your demands upon. Even when you will be looking for a new job, listing more tasks in your resume (because your boss gave you these tasks when you told him you were free) would definitely help you.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Use you're creativity to work for yourself... Self LEarn... Expand in areas you want to excel. seek new opportunities and when something comes alone seize it !!!

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Sounds like my first job out of college. I had a finance job which included closing out the books first week of every month, next 3 weeks consisted of nothing. I know some people enjoyed it, they watched netflix or whatever when they weren't working. I myself worked out over a long lunch hour. Bosses didn't seem to care because they knew how cyclical the job was, if you asked for more work, that work would be just happen to be during that first week of the month. I ended up leaving the job after 4 years even though I tried for 2 years.

My advice, tell your boss it takes you 2 hours to do the job then ask for projects, take on additional assignments, mingle and build relationships with co-workers, ask to shadow co-workers just to learn. Go for an masters degree and use that time for studying or homework. You will have to get creative but if your truly busy the whole time it will get noticed.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Be patient and try to learn more about the business and processes of the company after completing your tasks. Stay at least a year and you may have different vision of the job.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm
JF2141 wrote:
Why does it look bad to tell your boss you can complete a task more quickly than expected? I'd think that looks good and would assign you more work.
That would certainly be the case if the OP had a rational boss. Unfortunately too many bosses are micromanagers who would get insulted if you insinuated that their brilliant time management procedures were flawed.

At my first job some of the (union) employees were so underworked that they actually had beds made from chairs and foam rubber at their workstations.

You may want to use the time to look around at your current employer first to see if there are other departments with more interesting work and better promotional opportunities. Otherwise start looking elsewhere.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Are your pay and benefits good compared to another position that you could reasonably get? Are you restricted in what you can do with your free time while you're at work? Could you possibly work at home instead of in the workplace? Could it be an issue of uneven demand for what you do and it will be busier at other times of the year? Is your workload expected to increase as the business grows? What do you think are the underlying reasons for this situation?

Not to minimize your concerns, but there are worse situations to be in if you can find another way to make use of your down time at work. You could take online courses and earn a degree, write a book, read for leisure, play games online, knit, post on Bogleheads, learn to program, etc. You could even look for better jobs or find a second job that you can do while at your current job during your downtime.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Look on the bright side you have time to learn and read about life, investing, and finance from everyone on this forum at work :D

I wouldn't be too quick to jump boat as the grass always looks greener on the other side as I've seen many people move horizontally from job to job and at the end they basically get stuck but the top things I would consider are:

1) Your boss, this basically makes or breaks most jobs, is he/she someone that is an advocate for you, easy to get along with, trustworthy, etc....
2) Growth... did you ask this during the interview process, if not it might be good to discuss this with your boss asap... what's the career path and timeline for promotion and does it align with your goals, is the company growing etc...
3) Quality of Life, commute, benefits, work-life balance

Lastly as mentioned previously I wouldn't quit without another job... I would take this time to truly think about what you want to do in the future and work towards that while you still have this job. One of the best things I did in which I had a similar situation out of college was I took that time to think about my career and studied for a certificate that eventually got me my next job towards that direction.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Sounds like my first job out of college. I had a finance job which included closing out the books first week of every month, next 3 weeks consisted of nothing. I know some people enjoyed it, they watched netflix or whatever when they weren't working. I myself worked out over a long lunch hour. Bosses didn't seem to care because they knew how cyclical the job was, if you asked for more work, that work would be just happen to be during that first week of the month. I ended up leaving the job after 4 years even though I tried for 2 years.

My advice, tell your boss it takes you 2 hours to do the job then ask for projects, take on additional assignments, mingle and build relationships with co-workers, ask to shadow co-workers just to learn. Go for an masters degree and use that time for studying or homework. You will have to get creative but if your truly busy the whole time it will get noticed. Meanwhile keep an eye out for jobs. I knew people who practiced excel and learned programming during their downtime, helped them down the road. Me, even though it didn't apply to my job, I read the contracts of some of the clients I worked on, helped me understand why we did things how we invoiced and helped me land my next job.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Better the devil you know than the devil you dont.

Be careful what you wish for. It takes you 2 hours to get your job done. Ask for more work and you shall receive. Then your days may be swamped. Then what?? You cant go back to that 2 hour day.

Ive always worked at jobs that required little work...and im in the IT field. I always find something to occupy my time. I have no desire to manage people...im happy where im at so I couldnt care less about a more elite position. I have no stress and get paid fine. At the end of the day I can come home and get a lot of things done...working out, dinner, house projects, etc etc. I never feel run down. I never worry about work when im not at work. Different strokes for different folks. No regrets.

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pm

When you complete the work quickly are you also producing quality? If you can show that you legitimately have mastered these job requirements in a short amount of time then you are probably supervisor material. Or at least you are worth more to the company. You should work on a way to translate this skill of yours into more profits for the company. That then becomes your basis for asking for a raise or promotion.

If you are doing quality work, but producing 8 hours of work in 2 hours, then you should be able to produce significantly more than the average employee for the company.

In the first job I had out of school I was objectively 10 times more productive than the average employee. Statistically, I was 3% of the people in my position, but I produced 30% of the results. My employer did not reward me at the 1 year mark, so by 18 months I had another job. My ability to articulate my outsized effectiveness helped immensely with getting a better job. As I got better jobs and competed with more qualified people my ability to crush the average dissipated.

The point of that anecdote is you should find a way to translate spare time into increased production. Your boss won't care if you have free time on your hands. He will care if you show you are more productive, which you should be if you were working all the time. Then keep documents that show how productive you are. If your boss doesn't appreciate your productivity, the next one will.

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Take graduate/professional development courses on the clock. And appreciate what you have...someday, you'll look back on this job fondly.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

You are not stuck. It's just where you are now. Very common to feel this way, especially early on in a career. Put your ambition to work in positive ways and keep it simple.

Keep gaining skills. (Take classes an night and do homework in your spare time. Seek OJT opportunities at current job.)
Build relationships with bosses and co-workers. Help co-workers with their assignments.
Seek advancement opportunities inside and outside current employer.
Take care of work/life balance. (Active social life, meaningful relationships, exercise, eat well (meal prep), etc)
Take care of financial life. Save like a mad-man. Live below your means.
Manage health and stress, Get adequate sleep. Minimize screen time esp. after dark.
And did I say exercise hard and eat right?

I love boring jobs. So much time to meditate/dream/set goals/track/plan/communicate/relate.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes, I've quit a few jobs due to boredom. Generally it was because I had no work rather than the nature of the work. Friends and family thought I was crazy- it was easy money. However, I told them to sit in a closet (to simulate a cube) for 40 hours a week and do nothing (no sleeping or personal calls allowed) and report back.

Sadly, my current job is very boring. I have maybe an hour worth of work a day. I'm giving it a few more weeks to improve before leaving.

Obviously, it goes without saying you should express to your boss and co- workers you have free time to see if they have work for you before quiting.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

basspond

Post by basspond » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Are you sure this isn't a test to see if you will come forward and ask for more to do? I wouldn't have someone working for me if they were hiding the fact they were slacking off 6 hours a day.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm

JF2141 wrote:
Use the remaining 30 hours to create a side hustle and turn that into a business.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Too many people get out of college thinking their job is going to be their passion. Most jobs aren't exciting. A job is how you earn a paycheck. You could try talking to your boss about taking on additional projects.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm

nyclon wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm
JF2141 wrote:
Use the remaining 30 hours to create a side hustle and turn that into a business.
I often have thought of this, but could never come up with an "idea" in which the side hustle would be based off of. :confused

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I knew my first job out of grad school was not what I wanted about 3 months in. It took another 15 months or so to find a job I wanted (searching on and off, not full time). In that first job, I mostly did not work, there was just not enough work to go around. I spoke up to the primary lead (my 2nd line manager) for more work and he got another mid-senior guy to try and give me more work. It didn't help - the tasks were too easy and done very quickly.

On the bright side, I caught up on watching "The Office" at work. I also read several Charles Dickens books online (and two versions of David Copperfield movies on Youtube). I finally found a new job and boy was it demanding - but that job is where I really built my career.

Good luck - be on the job lookout and don't quit until you have something else in hand.

OP, what field are you in?

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Food for thought for the future: when I look at resumes (I'm a hiring manager), I do take note of the length of employment at each job. I look at job history before I look at education, certificates, etc.

If a candidate has too many jobs with too little time spent at each one, I begin to wonder if the problem is them, not the jobs. This concern is there particularly for younger candidates in my field, because many of them have developed a reputation for being "high maintenance" (expect to have everything done for them, perfect conditions, etc.) You don't want to have to explain your job length history in an interview.

OP, if you do decide to quit, don't mention boredom as the reason at your next interview.

P.S. I would kill to have a boring job. Oh, the free time! Be careful what you wish for.
Last edited by Loik098 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 pm
OP, if you do decide to quit, don't mention boredom as the reason at your next interview.
Maybe mention need for growth, excited about new opportunities, etc. -- but definitely NOT boredom.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Read Automate the Boring Stuff and automate the 2 hours that you actually work. 8-)

On a more serious note, why are you not going to your boss or other more senior staff members and asking for more work? I would (kindly) pester them for suggestions on things you can help with.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:30 pm

It may just be the calm before the storm where you are now. You may look back at these days as a dream assignment when the pressure kicks in bigly.
(Just speculating but also speaking from experience here...)

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 pm

I had a factory job once, just out of high school in the summer. I operated a machine that had a minimum cycle time (less than 1 minute for about four activities that overlapped) and the only challenge was making sure that the machine never slowed down. It was a bit of a challenge for about the first hour and then became routine and boring. I received a production report on my second day with a measure of my performance on the first day. It also stated that production bonuses didn't kick-in until after a couple of weeks. There went my motivation.

About the second day the union reps also showed up wanting me to join up. It was a right-to-work state and I couldn't figure out why I should join (I've always been an independent sort) so I didn't. That didn't exactly endear me with the troops.

And to add insult to injury there was a clock on the wall directly above me so I had a constant reminder of just how slowly time could actually move.

I lasted three or four days before I quit.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am

JF2141 wrote:
Just graduated from college a few months back and landed my first job... I come from a job where I could easily do 50 hours of demanding work a week so this was a big change for me...Thanks and I will appreciate any insight.
My first insight is, "How can this be your first job if you, '...come from a job where...'"?

The obvious response to your question is, "Go to your boss and ask for more work."

I knew a surgeon who did a stint in the Navy. He was posted to Guam where he was underutilized and bored. So he spent several hours a day going around the hospital serving coffee. He was transferred to a place where he was very busy doing what he was trained to do.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Tamalak

Post by Tamalak » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 am

I can't stand it when people complain about being showered with money for doing nothing. I thought that was the definition of paradise lmao

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Tamalak wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 am
I can't stand it when people complain about being showered with money for doing nothing. I thought that was the definition of paradise lmao
In fact, it's a very deceptive form of hell because you don't realize you're there. I occasionally spend time in federal offices in DC and get to hang around the civil servants. A lot of them literally do nothing all day... and can't be fired. And these were people with dreams at one point. Some of them have been showing up to work every day at the same dull, federal office building for 30 years... and do absolutely nothing all day long, but they could never give up that sweet, sweet paycheck and all those federal benefits. I think the day they resigned themselves to that fate was the day they died, metaphorically-speaking. It's not heaven, friend, no, not by a long shot.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

M_to_the_G wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 pm
Tamalak wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 am
In fact, it's a very deceptive form of hell because you don't realize you're there. I occasionally spend time in federal offices in DC and get to hang around the civil servants. A lot of them literally do nothing all day... and can't be fired. And these were people with dreams at one point. Some of them have been showing up to work every day at the same dull, federal office building for 30 years... and do absolutely nothing all day long, but they could never give up that sweet, sweet paycheck and all those federal benefits. I think the day they resigned themselves to that fate was the day they died, metaphorically-speaking. It's not heaven, friend, no, not by a long shot.
This was my federal experience. Actually there was plenty of work, it was just extremely repetitive and monotonous. The tasks were not taking me as long as what they planned for, but finishing sooner would just mean more of the same tasks so I had no motivation to improve my pace. I left after two years. I agree your job shouldn't be your passion, but I do think it should be interesting and fulfilling.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm

I personally wouldn't quit out of boredom, but a lack of advancement opportunities for a young person is a detriment. If there aren't advancement opportunities or this job doesn't lead to a better job at another company, it might not be the best place for you. I have a boring job but they pay me well enough, and there is some room for advancement, that I don't care about the boredom.

momopi

Post by momopi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

JF2141 wrote:
The 2 hours/day part is fine, but no advancement opportunity in future is not for someone your age (fresh college grad).

Do use the job to pad your resume, and look for something with better future. It's easier to find a job while you currently have a job.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I agree your job shouldn't be your passion, but I do think it should be interesting and fulfilling.
My job is neither interesting nor fulfilling. It does, however, provide a middle class income, with 40hr weeks and no required overtime.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm

I don't think I have ever had a job or career that was not boring at some time or another.
Focus on the "big" picture.
j

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm

My question to anyone here who advises him to stay........do you not worry that your skill set will dry up and you will hurt your resume?

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 pm

BradJ wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm
My question to anyone here who advises him to stay........do you not worry that your skill set will dry up and you will hurt your resume?
This depends on what the job is. The generic office drone isn't developing specific, transferable skill sets. A HR person, who has been on the job a little while, isn't learning anything new by screening 500 resumes a month vs 50. For engineering, it can be more important to maintain an up to date skill set. That doesn't always mean quit though. Ask your boss for more work. Or if that fails and it's the specific team, not the company, which is the issue, wait a reasonable amount of time and then transfer internally.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am

For some people boredom is their comfort zone, Not everyone wants to manage a bunch of people, pick asparagus on a farm, work in a factory or warehouse. In college I was a driver for UPS where I was lucky if I had time to use the bathroom, After College I got a job paying twice as much where I worked only 2 hours a day.
I keep my self busy surfing the internet.
Other people complain that they are isolated socially because they work from home, All I can say is let me try.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 am

Tell the boss you want to do more and contribute more to the organization than you are currently doing.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am

Absolutely have quit a job from boredom. You are pretty much guaranteed that your first job will not be awesome or even a good fit. But not without having a next job lined up.

You have two ways to go from here:
1) Find something to do with your extra time that contributes to the success of the company.

2) Use your extra time to hunt for your next job. When you find it, then quit.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 am

Maverick3320 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm
Take graduate/professional development courses on the clock. And appreciate what you have...someday, you'll look back on this job fondly.
+1 You have been given a gift of time. Get entrepreneurial with your time. Treat yourself as "you inc," and you could find yourself skyrocketing to stardom in your field in no time - trade publications, professional development etc. Don't waste your time by punching clock.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm

NextMil wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 am
Maverick3320 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm
+1 You have been given a gift of time. Get entrepreneurial with your time. Treat yourself as "you inc," and you could find yourself skyrocketing to stardom in your field in no time - trade publications, professional development etc. Don't waste your time by punching clock.
+1 Great advice - first and foremost, you work for yourself! I occasionally take classes through Coursera to learn skills and keep my resume fresh.