Wifi + wired device [updated]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Earl Lemongrab

Re: Wifi + wired device

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Update:

I signed up for the offer from Spectrum. The rep confirmed the deal and claims it's not a teaser but a permanent price. We'll see. Of course he had to make the obligatory upsell effort, but I told him I'd try this first.

I ordered a router and extender from Amazon. They actually arrived yesterday, beating the modem by one day. That gave me time (in between my plumbing issue) to do the wifi setup using the known good DSL. Got that accomplished.

Got the modem today, connected to the cable. Setup/activation completed. Moved the router into the family room with it.

All set. Computer happy, iPad happy. Posting through new internet connection.

Did an "internet speed test". Came out to:

34.6 Mbps download
4.47 Mbps upload

That's slightly better than the 30/4 promised. Definitely better than the old feed.

Will try for a few days then cancel DSL.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bgf

Post by bgf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm

shaiboy wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Google Wifi: expensive, but works great. They come in a 3 pack which will create a mesh network--basically making it so that you have multiple routers in your home to provide optimal coverage regardless of which part of the house you're in. You can even connect one of the routers directly into your computer using an ethernet cable (once again, making your computer behave as if it were directly plugged into your modem). There are cheaper options using your existing router and setting up repeaters and whatnot, but this setup is very simple and quick and "just works". IMO, some things just aren't worth trying to save a buck on (i.e. routers, beds, computer chairs and socks).

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-syst ... oogle+wifi
i would also personally recommend google wifi. i have been using it for a couple months now and am thrilled with the quality. setup is completed through an app on your phone which walks you through everything step by step. the app runs diagnostics on everything so that you are positive that everything is optimized before setup is completed. the wifi app runs updates automatically and provides reports regarding your internet speed and connection. devices switch automatically between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz depending on interference. i can get great connectivity in my backyard and even on the other side of my neighbors yard...

*edit. just saw your post. glad you found a solution.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Be aware that you will not get your full internet speed through your extender. It's best to locate your extender between your router and computer, not next to the computer. The further away it is the more the speed will be reduced. This is not saying that it won't be sufficient but just something to consider should be have any problems.

Another problem I had was with my mobile computer (laptop) having problems deciding which network to connect to, the main router or the extender. I wouldn't imagine this would be an issue with your desktop since it's stationary but could be with your iPad. If you have periodic problems connecting this could be the problem.

I hope that you have no problems and that your chosen setup works great!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:31 pm

bgf wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Yep, it's going. The wifi seems strong through the house, so I probably would have been fine with a USB adapter. But, it's bought, it's set up, it's working, so the likelihood of me returning the extender and getting something else is small.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bgf

Post by bgf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:31 pm
bgf wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Yep, it's going. The wifi seems strong through the house, so I probably would have been fine with a USB adapter. But, it's bought, it's set up, it's working, so the likelihood of me returning the extender and getting something else is small.

understood. i had my old router for years and years. a couple months ago i was digging around in the settings and found that the firmware hadn't been updated since like 2010. i decided it might be time to get something new finally. we also decided to cut cable entirely and now all our streaming and live tv is through hulu live, making our internet + wifi reliability more important.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm
Be aware that you will not get your full internet speed through your extender. It's best to locate your extender between your router and computer, not next to the computer. The further away it is the more the speed will be reduced. This is not saying that it won't be sufficient but just something to consider should be have any problems.

Another problem I had was with my mobile computer (laptop) having problems deciding which network to connect to, the main router or the extender. I wouldn't imagine this would be an issue with your desktop since it's stationary but could be with your iPad. If you have periodic problems connecting this could be the problem.

I hope that you have no problems and that your chosen setup works great!
The main function of the extender is to provide connection for the non-wifi computer. So it's plugged into to wall that has the desk, so I can drop the cable down to it. The extender's LEDs assure me that it has good connection on both 2.4G and 5G. As I mentioned, the speed test was in line with expected results.

The iPad allows choosing the network to use. It's on the 5G extender.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:06 am

22twain wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm
[about powerline adapters]
killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pm
There's also some worry about containing your network to your house, as your power plugs are directly connected to the telephone pole, your neighbors, etc... and you hope the power transformers isolate your network traffic.
Each adapter has a password configured in it, and can "talk" only to other adapters that use the same password. Out of the box, the password is set to a universal default so you can get a powerline network up and running quickly by simply plugging the adapters into wall outlets. However, you can change the password by using an app on a computer connected to the network. After you do that, nobody else's adapter can "talk" to your network unless they know your network's password and can configure their adapter with it.

Powerline adapters turned out to work OK for me. I use three: one at one end of my house where my DSL connection and desktop computer are located; another one at the other end where my enertainment center is located, with a networked TiVo and Apple TV box; and a third at the middie of the house, connected to a wireless adapter which serves my iPhone, my wife's iPad, and occasionally a visitor.
FYI: killjoy2012's post is with some merit. It's not as simple as changing the password on each adapter and concluding that you're safe from neighbors on the same neighborhood electrical circuit. There are design flaws in the standard that the HomePlug Powerline Alliance doesn't appear to care to address.

See Vulnerability: Infiltrating a network via Powerline (HomePlugAV) adapters for a [very] technical write-up of the "DAK Attack."