GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
codedude

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by codedude » Sun May 27, 2018 9:05 pm

With Geico for 20 years. I check once in 3-4 years, no one comes close on premiums (in Virginia) for my situation. One glass vandalization 15 years ago, handled efficiently.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:56 pm

perl wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:06 pm
LOL. On the other hand, I am still with Liberty for home insurance: I researched Geico's underwriter and did not like it one bit. I cannot describe Liberty in allowed words either: yearly premium in 2004 was $400; yearly premium in 2017, $1,100. In a deflationary environment... yeah, right. I am paying for someone else's hurricanes while I have had no claims.
Paying for other people's hurricanes by pooling risk is the entire point of insurance.
Yeah but I only want to be in a pool with people that are lower risk than me.Those people who live in hurricane zones belong in their own pool.:)

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 am

jharkin wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 am
Price is nice, but SERVICE is important. Price USAA (if you qualify) and AMICA to compare. We've been with AMICA for nearly 40 years and their service cannot be beat.
I've experienced a couple of auto claims with AMICA and was rather disappointed. In one case in particular, their handling of the claim was so bad that I had to get our state involved. Our state tends to be very reluctant to do anything about the auto insurance complaints, but in that particular case AMICA's conduct was so egregious that they did actually get involved.

That's odd. I have nothing but stellar service with Amica. Hit and run driver totaled my brand new car years ago and they paid no questions asked. Tree fell on my garage destroying the roof and severely damaging the cars inside and they paid no question asks. Didn't raise my premium a dime in either case.

I also pay less than a grand /yr total for full boat max liability/collision/comp on 2 late model cars ('14 and '17) and $300 for $2MM umbrella. Doubt GEICO can beat that by much...
I do completely agree that my sample size with Amica is tiny and that the overall reviews for Amica tend to be very good. In general, however, most people have no idea how to evaluate claims handling, so a ton of complaints and praises out there are not particularly helpful.

Why would paying a hit and run claim with "no questions asked" qualify as praiseworthy? Assuming that you have uninsured/underinsured coverage, every insurance company on the planet would pay with "no questions asked" (how much they'd pay and what they'd pay for is a different question). In a number of states, insurance companies are statutorily prohibited from raising your rates for these types of claims as well.

With auto insurance, what tends to distinguish some of the better insurance companies is whether they use OEM vs. aftermarket parts (the best carriers contractually guarantee OEM parts), how easily they authorize rental cars (many insurance companies won't authorize a rental car if yours is not yet in the body shop and is "drivable" even when it has sustained severe damage and cannot be driven safely), how generous they are with rental payments (many insurance carriers look solely at the size of the car and ignore everything else), how generous they are in compensating you for bodily injuries, how well they pay if the vehicle is totaled (the best carriers offer agreed value policies, where the value is agreed upon up front, such that if the vehicle is totaled, they simply cut you a check for that entire amount with no back and forth negotiations), etc... Most people just don't know any of this and, even when they do, do not have enough experience to know how well a carrier is treating them.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am

rgs92 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm
So has anyone had claim service from GEICO (or State Farm or Progressive) and was it OK? Thanks.
What's your definition of "ok"? For instance, one of the posters responded to your question above and mentioned that he had a windshield replacement claim with GEICO, which was not an issue.

If you were to follow up and ask about the quality of the windshield, you would have most likely found out that an aftermarket windshield was used, as GEICO (and most other regular auto insurance carriers, particularly if the car is not virtually brand new) virtually never pays for OEM windshields. Most other regular auto insurance carriers take the same position. If you are okay with these types of repairs, then there's no issue. If, on the other hand, you are not, because, for instance, you drive a higher end car, then you need to be prepared to pay the difference out of pocket, or you need one of the few higher end carriers that contractually guarantees OEM replacement parts.

In general, you won't come across horror stories where any of the large national players just refuse to cover claims, or drag out the auto repair claims process, etc... They all tend to accept claims 24/7/365 (which is a largely psychological benefit, as it makes you feel like your insurance company is on top of things. In reality, the claims are taken by the call center employees, whose job is to essentially do data entry. The actual coverage decisions are handled by adjusters, and adjusters generally work regular hours. So, whether an auto claim gets reported at 11pm on Saturday night or at 9am on Monday morning, an adjuster will get assigned to it around the same time), assess the damage quickly, and issue payments promptly. On the auto side, the differences come into play with some of the issues that I mentioned in the preceding post, and can amount to rather large differences in payouts.

ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

ND Fan 1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.

meebers

Post by meebers » Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Was comparison shopping yesterday for home/auto since I am coming up for renewal next month. I remarked that my 2007 GMC truck rate was only $300 less than my whole house? He replied in a most professional & kind manner and said "clients that are below age 25 or over 75 pay a higher rate". Yepp, I am off the high end. :shock:

meebers

Post by meebers » Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm

What is the approximate "discount" if you insure (bundle) home/auto/umbrella with the same company vrs many posters here going with different companies for each?

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 am

Ive been disappointed with bundling discounts and they greatly increase the complexity of comparison shopping

Note that usually you have to get the umbrella from the auto insurer. If you get a standalone umbrella you might want to get 1M underlying auto to make it less likely you'll need to call on that umbrella and get another legal team involved.

ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:01 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
ND Fan 1 wrote:

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.
Indiana. I also checked out Progressive which wasn't close to USAA either.

Post by 526297 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 am

Same here. Was with progressive and Geico was half the price. We switched. No rate change after renewal. My husband did hit a pole though and they were cheap about fixing the car. They wanted to use after market and off brand parts. We agreed because in the end it doesn't matter to us. Car looks fine. But this is one way they save money.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Was with USAA for auto and jewelry and decided to compare. Geico was 59% less on auto. Still is.

Only thing USAA insures for me now is my wife’s engagement ring for $500 a year.

I do use USAA for banking and credit card (2.5% cash back card). Recently switched from Chase. Will see how that goes.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
ND Fan 1 wrote:

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
It is all state dependent. Each state has it's own rules for how insurance companies are able to set rates. In some instances the state has authority to deny rate increases and others allow whatever the insurance companies submit. USAA used to be much cheaper for me but then I believe they introduced rate groups (military service vs non) and that sky rocketed my premium.

Tico_75

Post by Tico_75 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

GEICO decimated everyone's rates for us, only esurace came close. We'd had a fender bender (not at fault) and they did great. They never increased our rates after teaser periods.

Tip. Try Billsharks first.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 am

Note that usually you have to get the umbrella from the auto insurer. If you get a standalone umbrella you might want to get 1M underlying auto to make it less likely you'll need to call on that umbrella and get another legal team involved.
I have my auto insurance with GEICO and my umbrella with my Chubb homeowner insurance. I had GEICO quote the umbrella, but they were far more expensive than Chubb, which was surprising as Chubb is not a low cost carrier.

I moved to GEICO when the teenagers started driving. USAA quote was much higher than GEICO, so I wonder if the price differences vary by location. Fortunately I have not filed a claim with GEICO so cannot comment on service.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

So what insurance company does this?

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am
Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

Reference the comment on windshield claims. In about a half dozen+ windshield claims, USAA has exclusively used Safelite to replace or repair my windshield. These were on simple vehicles in NC, AK, MT, and TX.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 am

meebers wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm
What is the approximate "discount" if you insure (bundle) home/auto/umbrella with the same company vrs many posters here going with different companies for each?
I've had Amica auto and umbrella for years. I've had homeowners from whatever company my independent agent could dig up, as companies do not like to write policies for homes near the water, at least in this area. Amica started writing homeowners here, so I switched. I saved about $600, no joke, on the premium, and got another $200 off the auto/umbrella on the bundled policy discount.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
ND Fan 1 wrote:

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
It is all state dependent. Each state has it's own rules for how insurance companies are able to set rates. In some instances the state has authority to deny rate increases and others allow whatever the insurance companies submit. USAA used to be much cheaper for me but then I believe they introduced rate groups (military service vs non) and that sky rocketed my premium.
Be sure you're comparing apples with apples. AMICA has two quotes, depending on dividend status. If you chose to get a dividend, your initial premium will be high but once the dividend is credited, the total will be substantially lowered.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

rgs92 wrote:

But you are paying higher premiums to begin with; you get what you pay for. If you are a safe driver, no point paying hundreds more in premiums year after year after year (or decades) for that one day when you may have an claim just so you get OEM parts. I would think a BH would take the premiums saved and invested it instead.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am
rgs92 wrote:

But you are paying higher premiums to begin with; you get what you pay for. If you are a safe driver, no point paying hundreds more in premiums year after year after year (or decades) for that one day when you may have an claim just so you get OEM parts. I would think a BH would take the premiums saved and invested it instead.
+1
Also if and when you have a collision claim you still have the option of repairing with OEM parts and paying the difference. You would still likely comeout ahead, assuming you don't have frequent collision claims. :D

Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks to this thread I checked with Geiko on my 3 cars. Been with State Farm for several years. 6 months heavy coverage was $2500. Geiko, same coverage, $1100! :shock:

Thanks for the thread, got my Geico card yesterday. :beer

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for that perspective seawolf. Yep, the amount I've had in claims over 20 years is minuscule. I guess I should feel like I'm self-insuring for any repairs I need and just consider insurance for any ridiculous liability.

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm

I haven't shopped for home/auto/umbrella in years -- my bad :^(
I've been with State Farm for many years. But this thread has me motivated to look at Amica, Geico, and USAA.

Question: Do these companies run a credit check when one requests a quote online? Soft or hard pull? My reports are all frozen.

Thanks!

quizzer25

Post by quizzer25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:31 pm

investor4life wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm
I haven't shopped for home/auto/umbrella in years -- my bad :^(
I've been with State Farm for many years. But this thread has me motivated to look at Amica, Geico, and USAA.

Question: Do these companies run a credit check when one requests a quote online? Soft or hard pull? My reports are all frozen.

Thanks!
No hard credit check.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 pm

For any concern about geico (or any other insurer) service; NJ publish valid compliant/ number of vehicle insured ratio.

https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_c ... merrpt.pdf

Geico is actually not that bad. USAA has a worst ratio. Amica and NJM have fewer valid complaints.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 am

I've never compared auto insurance prices. However, I plan to this year. I've had USAA coverage (renters only) before I had a drivers license. I was in ROTC in college and several of the military instructor cadre suggested I look into it. Much lower prices for NYC than other carriers. I kept it throughout active duty and my kids have it also. One big advantage of their life insurance for military folks is that they, and a few other companies, have no war clause in their policies. As a really old time policy holder, I can't imagine that GEICO or any other company will be lower than USAA for me, taking into account the various policies and annual disbursements I get from them. Also, their service has been exemplary for over 50 years. A few years ago they covered hail damage that I couldn't even see and paid out about $30K for a new roof and siding with no issues. Also many other claims over the years. GEICO was very responsive when one of their insured rear ended me at a stop light, so I will look into them now. I'm not going to change for a few dollars, but a 30 or 40% difference will really have me thinking.

BTW, don't talk to me about Comcast. I will be barred from the forum forever :evil: :-( :twisted: :annoyed :thumbsdown .

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am

NYnative wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 am
As a really old time policy holder, I can't imagine that GEICO or any other company will be lower than USAA for me, taking into account the various policies and annual disbursements I get from them.
If by that you mean that USAA is charging you less because you've been with them for a long time, that maybe the case but don't bet on it. I was with Nationwide for decades, and still found that I was paying way more to them than my current combination of GEICO for auto/umbrella and Farmers for home coverage.

From everything I've read, sometimes after you've been with one company for a long time they actually charge you more based on their data that long term customers often simple stay put and don't shop.

vk_217

Post by vk_217 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

Not sure if this is good coverage, but I have had GEICO since 2015 and the price for 6 months has always been close to 500 for 6 months for 2 cars.I have looked at others but the rates were atleast 200 extra in the range of 700 for 6 months for the same coverage. Any comments on the coverage?

I came, I saw, I'm leaving.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 pm

vk_217 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am
Not sure if this is good coverage, but I have had GEICO since 2015 and the price for 6 months has always been close to 500 for 6 months for 2 cars.I have looked at others but the rates were atleast 200 extra in the range of 700 for 6 months for the same coverage. Any comments on the coverage?
I'd want higher liability limits than that . . . unless you're able to qualify for an umbrella policy with 100/300/50 coverage (and even then, I'd want higher UI/UIM BI coverage). I have 250/500/100 coverage with State Farm in order to get an umbrella; and likewise have 250/500 UI/UIM BI coverage.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 pm

There's a current thread about GEICO dropping liability (umbrella) insurance for someone who was in a car accident:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=260011&newpost=4154951

The thread also gives some good thoughts about not going for the cheapest insurance. Just because something costs less doesn't mean you should buy it.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:30 pm

What??? You mean everyone doesn't get their hair cut at the barber school by students, have their dental work done at the local dental school, use a lawyer who has a correspondence degree from the university of Samoa, get bids from several doctors every time they need surgery? Say it ain't so. Remember, the low bidders offers you the best price you can find, even if you never get the service you paid for. A bargain is a bargain.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 am

celia wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 pm
There's a current thread about GEICO dropping liability (umbrella) insurance for someone who was in a car accident:

The thread also gives some good thoughts about not going for the cheapest insurance. Just because something costs less doesn't mean you should buy it.
Seems to me Geico is supporting OP of that thread for that particular claim but informed OP that they will part ways afterwards.

TomatoTomahto posted they had Chubb and had two claims and was not dropped but paying high premiums.

The only thing I got from that thread is if you want to have a lifetime relationship with an insurer, Geico is not for you. The question then becomes, what are the advantages of having a lifetime relationship with an insurer as it comes with a cost in the form of higher premiums?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:36 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 am
celia wrote:

Seems to me Geico is supporting OP of that thread for that particular claim but informed OP that they will part ways afterwards.

TomatoTomahto posted they had Chubb and had two claims and was not dropped but paying high premiums.

The only thing I got from that thread is if you want to have a lifetime relationship with an insurer, Geico is not for you. The question then becomes, what are the advantages of having a lifetime relationship with an insurer as it comes with a cost in the form of higher premiums?
There is none. These are all commodities. Just get the cheapest insurance that you can and if something happens and you get dropped, move to the next cheapest that will have you. There's no reason to pay Chubb 2x what Geico is charging you just so that if you get into an accident Chubb doesn't drop you.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:38 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 am
celia wrote:

I would agree, if you are young and have the time to shop for new insurance whenever an issue comes up. But some of us have other things planned, such as extended vacations, health considerations, or want to leave our financial affairs for someone else to take care of, for us later (especially when we have cognitive decline). I do not plan to leave things complicated for my spouse, DPoA, Executor, or Successor Trustee, else (s)he may resign. I'd rather have something in place I can depend on in the future (lifelong relationship with financial entities) instead of having one of these people make what I consider a "bad" decision.