Jack Bogle on Fox Business Channel Friday June 8

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
AlphaLess

Re: Jack Bogle on Fox Business Channel Friday June 8

Post by AlphaLess »

fortyofforty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:16 am
AlphaLess wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:22 am
Retired1809 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:09 pm (b) that Maria chose to have him as a guest. Unfortunately, most of her guests are closely associated with Wall Street.
Yup. Maria is known as "Money Honey" in the Wall Street Banks.
She was known as that when she worked for NBC. I haven't heard her called that in years.
Try googling 'Money Honey'.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Stinky wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:18 pm Jack Bogle is 89 years old I believe. His performance in the interview was impressive for a person of any age, much less an 89-year-old.

His voice is strong. His answers are thoughtful and well reasoned - and dead-on correct.

Jack Bogle is truly an American icon.
+1
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

I hope to reach Jack Bogle's age (89 as of this interview) and I would be most thankful to have 20% of his mental acuity when I get there.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Lauretta wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 am
Lauretta wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 am
mxs wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Another 5 minutes from the interview.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RC__VrsfdpM
at 1:42 he says 'there will be opportunities - we have seen them in the last 25 yrs - to get out and get back in'. I am not sure whether he is advocating market timing, perhaps based on extreme valuations (as he elsewhere has said that he once got out himself when valuations got extremely high)?
I notice that too. I also noticed that the interview was edited at that point.
That's right, I wonder whether he gave more precisions that were edited out... I mean, perhaps he added that it's very difficult to know in advance when those opportunities are - who knows now...
Considering Jack's strong and consistent thoughts expressed previously about market timing, it seems quite a leap from those few words (and what might have followed before the edit) to his change of heart on the subject:

Jack Bogle: "After nearly 50 years in this business, I do not know of anybody who has done market timing successfully and consistently. I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who has done it successfully and consistently."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
cfs

Post by cfs »

"Did anyone count how many times Ms. Bartiromo took off her glasses?"

No I did not count. Some may find this annoying, but for me it is a natural thing to do. That is exactly what I do when I am in a conversation and have to read a note, put my reading glasses on, read the note, take my reading glasses off, continue with the conversation.

Gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:23 pm
fortyofforty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:16 am
AlphaLess wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:22 am
Retired1809 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:09 pm (b) that Maria chose to have him as a guest. Unfortunately, most of her guests are closely associated with Wall Street.
Yup. Maria is known as "Money Honey" in the Wall Street Banks.
She was known as that when she worked for NBC. I haven't heard her called that in years.
Try googling 'Money Honey'.
I'd prefer not to, frankly. I haven't heard her called that in years. "I haven't" refers to me, personally. Although I don't listen to MSNBC, so I might be missing such references, if that's where you're hearing them. I don't know.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

cfs wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm "Did anyone count how many times Ms. Bartiromo took off her glasses?"

No I did not count. Some may find this annoying, but for me it is a natural thing to do. That is exactly what I do when I am in a conversation and have to read a note, put my reading glasses on, read the note, take my reading glasses off, continue with the conversation.

Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Exactly!!! Like someone in their 50s needing reading glasses is some conspiracy or something.
samtex

Post by samtex »

c.coyle wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 am
Retired1809 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:09 pm . . . But when she began her questions loaded with the oft-repeated criticisms of indexing, I understood. I too thought that she was rude in interrupting Jack time after time. She was snarky, trying to attack a giant. . . .
I didn't get that impression at all. Bogleheads are probably a small portion of her audience, so those were pertinent questions.
+1
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

I did hear Mr. Bogle make one mistake: He attributed the quote "Simplify, simplify, simplify" to Emerson instead of Henry David Thoreau.

(I'm sure that Maria caught it as well, but alas, she was too high-class to correct his mistake on air .... LOL)
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Here is the link to the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTCULk9Z9lg
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Getting to watch the interview again this morning. Still going on as I write.

Jack said something like, "A lot of trading goes on in ETF-land. That's not such a good thing." There are a lot of nuggets in Jack Bogle's interview.

Maria Bartiromo so far has let Jack Bogle speak for quite a while, and was extremely polite, almost deferential. She asked a question, then let him answer, much longer than other interviewees on other shows.

As for her glasses, she put them on to read a direct quote, then removed them to look into the camera. Glasses wreak havoc with television lights due to reflections. I don't blame her for that.
Monkeyboy

Post by Monkeyboy »

Did some of the people on this thread watch a different show? I never saw Maria interupt Jack Bogle once! I thought it was a good interview!
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Monkeyboy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 am Did some of the people on this thread watch a different show? I never saw Maria interupt Jack Bogle once! I thought it was a good interview!
Some people see what they expect to see.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

fortyofforty wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am
Monkeyboy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 am Did some of the people on this thread watch a different show? I never saw Maria interupt Jack Bogle once! I thought it was a good interview!
Some people see what they expect to see.
It's amazing how differently various Bogleheads interpret the same interview - not to mention even Louis Rukeyser interviews after all these years.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Another interesting tidbit. At one point, Jack cites the Balanced Index Fund as one investment a person could buy and hold forever, without worrying about the percentage of stocks and bonds. Just buy and forget. He said only time will tell if it's a winning investment strategy. Many here would strongly object to that recommendation.
BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat »

I'm a big fan of both Fox business and Maria.

I thought she was very respectful and although she cut him off once to ask a followup, I enjoyed the interview and as usual felt a strong dose of gratitude that Jack Bogle was still among us.