Roof Leak

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Flymore

Roof Leak

Post by Flymore »

My 25-year-old Owns Corning roof has a leak, probably near the vent pipe. The roof shingle was an upgrade when installed.

Should I just get the leak repaired or plan on replacing the whole roof instead?

This is my first experience with skylights. Do they wear out? Will they need to be replaced with the roof?

Thanks
Liberty1100

Re: Roof Leak

Post by Liberty1100 »

Fixing a leak if you can is best. Not being in a rush allows you to not just go with the first available roofer. Then, I would start talking to neighbors and friends for recommendations for roofers to replace the roof. A 25 year-old roof is OLD for a roof.
sport

Post by sport »

It depends on the condition of the shingles, and the cost to fix the leak. If the shingles are still in good condition, you might get another 5 years out of them, perhaps more. If the repair cost is small, I would do the repair, unless the shingles are in bad shape.
mxs

Post by mxs »

Fix the leak now, and start looking for a roofer. 30 year shingles are likely good for 25-30 years at best.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I'd recommend getting the skylights replaced with the roof if they are that old. Newer once might be better insulated. I had much less condensation in the bathroom skylight after it was replaced.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

The rubber boots around vent pipes do not last as long as the roof itself. Inexpensive permanent solutions have been developed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_E8QrOQqS4
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Flymore wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am My 25-year-old Owns Corning roof has a leak, probably near the vent pipe. The roof shingle was an upgrade when installed.

Should I just get the leak repaired or plan on replacing the whole roof instead?

This is my first experience with skylights. Do they wear out? Will they need to be replaced with the roof?

Thanks
Assuming you have their 25 year shingles and not their limited lifetime shingles, I would probably lean towards getting the leak fixed in the short term and replacing them when you are able to get it scheduled. Boots on vent pipes or around any roof penetration are where I start looking first. Often times the rubber boots crack with age and they are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace. This will prevent anymore water from entering and causing damage while you get the new roof quoted out and scheduled.

Skylights really don't wear out if properly maintained, just like any window in your house. But like others noted, there are lots more features and efficiencies that weren't available 25 years ago, assuming they are the same age as the shingles. It might be worth it to check into those and price them out when doing your roof and seeing if they fit into your budget.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

You don't say where you are located. If you are in an area of weather extremes, intense sunlight, bitter cold etc..., this will impact the roof material. At 25 years, do a temporary fix and look to replace that roof.
Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am You don't say where you are located. If you are in an area of weather extremes, intense sunlight, bitter cold etc..., this will impact the roof material. At 25 years, do a temporary fix and look to replace that roof.
I'm located in the NE Ohio. We've had plenty of cold winters. February 2015 was the coldest February on record for our area. Should probably move :oops:
Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

I'd love to put a boot on the pipe, but it's about 24 feet up and the roof is hipped so very steep.
I'll call around and see if I can find someone to do it.

The skylights are very high up, there's no way I can maintain them.

thanks
sport

Post by sport »

Flymore wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am I'm located in the NE Ohio. We've had plenty of cold winters. February 2015 was the coldest February on record for our area. Should probably move
I don't think NE Ohio is all that bad. I like it here. :thumbsup
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

We had a roof leak in a roughly 20 year old roof. After having it patched twice it kept coming back after a while.
Replacing it with a top-quality 40 year roof (a Timberline) fixed everything and it has worked fine for 4 years.
So I would stop trying to fix it and get a new roof.
Never be cheap with a roof.
Make sure you get a good roofer by reading a ton of online reviews.