Need to replace my Vizio TV..............

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cartman

Need to replace my Vizio TV..............

Post by cartman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm

I purchased a Vizio 55" television approximately 30 months ago. Over the last few months the sound inexplicably goes silent after about 30 minutes of usage. I have been working with Vizio tech staff to determine the problem. Everything has been tested including switching from cable, to a DVD or the internet. In every attempt, I lose sound after 30 minutes and it will not come on again for hours. When the sound does come on again, it is for a another 30 minute interval.

Vizio acknowledges the television is faulty (likely a circuit board) but because mine is past the standard one year warranty, Vizio's position is that they have no legal obligation. They are correct. Unfortunately, ethnically, they are thieves. Electronics manufacturers have set a new standard for planned obsolescence.

I need to move on and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a suggested replacement make and model?

Watty

Re: Need to replace my Vizio TV..............

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Sorry about your bad experience. If you buy your next TV through Costco and use a Costco credit card you will get a 4 year warranty.

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html

In defense of Visio though it is possible that something like a power surge could have damaged the TV.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Samsung, Sony or some LG''s are good.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:06 pm

I think just about any known brand other than Vizio (Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc) should be fine. TVs are dirt cheap now. Personally, I would get at least an LED LCD 4k. I am happy with 1080p quality wise and with Blu Ray as a player/medium, but it seems 4k TVs are pretty much standard now.

Best Buy Samsung 55" 4k HDR for $500. Something like this. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55 ... Id=6051108

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Does sound work with an external speaker system or sound bar?
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

b4real

Post by b4real » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Some credit cards double the manufacture's warranty.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/the-off ... ty-policy/

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:47 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm
My thought also. Run a cable from one of the outputs (there can be multiple types) to an external speaker or soundbar. If it works it would be much cheaper (and likely better sound) to purchase a soundbar.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Post by 123 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Probably need to replace the TV. We had a new set, an LG, where the picture failed in the first year. We called for warranty service and they sent a repair guy out in a couple of days and he replaced the circuit board (it seemed like pretty much everything was on the same circuit board). The service and response of LG was so good that I would not hesitate to buy a TV from them again. So its likely more economical to just buy a new set then to try to get a replacement circuit board and then fiddle with getting it installed.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 pm

My Sony tv went bad around 30 months also. I was the squeaky wheel and complained enough that Sony gave me a new tv at a 75% discount. An authorized dealer did confirm the faulty defect and I didn’t have more than a one year warranty. It paid for me to be persistent that I thought they could do more to help me and they did. Good luck!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:05 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:47 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:13 pm
My thought also. Run a cable from one of the outputs (there can be multiple types) to an external speaker or soundbar.
There may be audio outputs on the cable box as well as the TV. Taking the sound from the cable box takes the TV entirely out of the audio loop. Probably not necessary but it avoids any assumptions about exactly how the TV handles the signal.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:47 pm

Watty wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:53 pm
Sorry about your bad experience. If you buy your next TV through Costco and use a Costco credit card you will get a 4 year warranty.

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html

In defense of Visio though it is possible that something like a power surge could have damaged the TV.
Costco gives a 2-year warranty. If you use their credit card, they give you 2 more years. They also have good prices on TVs.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:11 am

Yep, a TV should always be treated like dumb computer monitor with no sound capabilities anyway, since the internal sound generation is usually awful because of a cheap DAC and amp, not to mention the tiny speaker. All of these components in most TVs are worth only a few bucks.

Always get the sound from the source, meaning the cable/satellite box (or disc player) fed (by digital or analog cable) into a decent amplifier or home theater receiver.

But if you still want to use the volume control of the TV for some reason, try the RCA outs or even the headphone jack with RCA output dongles to your amp or home theater receiver.

If you go the soundbar route, also attach it to the cable/satellite box, since the TV audio outputs may be dead. Try it and see.

You really do not need to go to the trouble or expense of replacing the TV. This experience may be a blessing in disguise since you will have much better non-fatiguing, less stressful, less irritating sound, and your whole body will relax.

Good luck.
Last edited by rgs92 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am

Check the credit card you used to purchase the TV. Some cards extend the warranty on purchases (not just Costco cards or Costco purchases) I’m pretty sure chase sapphire doubles the warranty if the warranty less than one or two years, amex does the same. Don’t know the specifics so check with your card.

As others mentioned, just get a sound bar. The sound is way better anyway.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:50 am

Get a soundbar... watching TV with its internal speaker is horrible. The sound quality of even a crappy $60-100 soundbar makes you wonder why the hell you haven't done this from day 1. Who cares about TV internal speaker...

david

Post by david » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:51 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am
Check the credit card you used to purchase the TV. Some cards extend the warranty on purchases (not just Costco cards or Costco purchases) I’m pretty sure chase sapphire doubles the warranty if the warranty less than one or two years, amex does the same. Don’t know the specifics so check with your card.

As others mentioned, just get a sound bar. The sound is way better anyway.
This is what I would do. Also, consider the warranty your credit card gives when making big electronics purchases. (I got burned on an Amazon tablet going bad after their 90 day warranty and I used their store card which offers 5% back but no protection. I bought another one of those tablets with the Citi Double Cash which only offers 2% back but 2 extra years of coverage. Live and learn.

chw

Post by chw » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:04 am

My Vizio also started having sound problems abou the same age. Sound bar worked, but then the picture went about 6 months later. Vizio did offer me a replacement for about $200 off comparable model at Best Buy($275 for a 55" screen), which I did purchase. The purchase price was modest, so figured I'd go with another Vizio... FWIW, I had an LG before the Vizio that died after 30 months as well.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:24 am

Agree with everyone's suggestion to get a soundbar, but disagree with how it should be hooked up. Don't use optical or RCA, use HDMI. If the soundbar you select has enough inputs--for example if you only need one for your cable box, and don't have a blu-ray player, game console, or whatever--just run it right through the soundbar to the TV.

If you need to connect more devices than your soundbar has inputs, use HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel). This is what I do with my 3-year-old Vizio and a cheap Samsung soundbar that only has one HDMI input. One goes through the soundbar as above, which I've made sure to connect to the input on the TV that supports ARC (think it's HDMI 3 in my case). Other devices are hooked directly up to the TV. My TiVo's remote turns both devices on and off, and controls the volume on the soundbar. When one of the TV's inputs is selected, it peels off the audio and sends it the "wrong way" down the ARC input to the soundbar.

Either way, you get the proper decoding and the full quality of whatever soundtrack is available. RCA limits you to two channels (most soundbars support at least 4), while optical sharply limits the bitrate.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:34 am

If you don't care or needs to be cheap then TCL.
Otherwise Samsung is my higher end choice.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 am

The idea of a sound bar is a good one, but I'd be looking to find what, if any audio outputs might work from the TV. Indeed, if there is no working audio, then it really doesn't matter what you hook up, the result could be no audio still.

TVs are.....and always have been built with crap. The boards are typically single sided, cheap boards that had been abandoned by most other electronics manufacturers in the 80's. The parts at times are seconds. The goal is always to make the tv as cheap as possible.

I have a hobby of scrapping electronics so see how stuff is built. Believe me, there is no planned obsolescence.....there's probably a sigh when anything works by the engineers given nothing to make these things work.

Something that may be worth a shot is to find a store brand and then negotiate the price down. Insignia is the Best Buy brand and is built with rejected Samsung LCD screens. They can last as long as any other TV and I'd challenge you to find the fault in the screen. I'm watching our insignia right now that my son bought about 5 years ago because our LG died about a year ago at 3 years old (audio worked, no picture.....I could have paired with the OP to have a working system :D ).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:42 am

cartman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm
Unfortunately, ethnically, they are thieves.
Isn't a comment like this against board policy? What one little letter can do... :D
Last edited by obafgkm on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:59 am

Don’t mess around with the cheapest TV next time and just buy a Samsung or an LG.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am

I have a 55” Visio TV that previously had problems with the picture going out but have also heard of many issues with sound going out. A common problem with these TVs is that the solder points between the various boards in the TV crack due to poor solder joint quality. In my case, my Visio TV lost picture after about a year and a half. I was able to use a credit card extended warranty to cover the cost of the repair, but it only cost around $125 to fix the issue - basically resolder the board. It might be worth it to get an estimate. If you can take it into a shop, most places will give you an estimate for free or for a small diagnostic fee which they will usually apply to the repair.

I ended up buying 60” Samsung because I was planning to junk the Visio but since it was free to fix, its now in my basement as a video game monitor.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am
I have a 55” Visio TV that previously had problems with the picture going out but have also heard of many issues with sound going out. A common problem with these TVs is that the solder points between the various boards in the TV crack due to poor solder joint quality. In my case, my Visio TV lost picture after about a year and a half. I was able to use a credit card extended warranty to cover the cost of the repair, but it only cost around $125 to fix the issue - basically resolder the board. It might be worth it to get an estimate. If you can take it into a shop, most places will give you an estimate for free or for a small diagnostic fee which they will usually apply to the repair.

I ended up buying 60” Samsung because I was planning to junk the Visio but since it was free to fix, its now in my basement as a video game monitor.
you should buy a genuine Vizio next time....

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:29 am

PFInterest wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 am
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am

you should buy a genuine Vizio next time....
Lol I let the Apple iOS auto correct change from Vizio to Visio stand as a snub to Vizio...

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:59 am

If the audio outs on your TV works, you should just add an external audio system like a soundbar.

At 55" of size, you NEED a better audio system than the rockbottom budget ones that come with the TV. If it were a smaller 32" TV, ok, you probably sit close enough that the built in audio is fine (or in my case, the TV is used for non-videophile purposes).

Even if you get a much upgraded TV of similar size, you should still get the external audio setup to complete your TV setup.

I'd def look into this even before wasting your time with TV tech cust service - these budget brands like Vizio have great products until they fail, and then you're on your own. If strong customer service is something that is very important to you (sounds like it is), go for premium brands with a good history of it (and you will pay for it!)

Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Which series do you have? The lower the letter, the lesser the quality. Think their top might be “p” now. Also think the lowest is “d.”

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:22 pm

While I am a big proponent of using external speakers with a TV, I would not encourage OP to do that if he is happy with the tiny internal speakers on TVs these days. If he has no desire to use external speakers (or a soundbar) with future TVs, he should just replace the TV itself.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 pm

This happened to one of my tvs.

I purchased a cheap soundbar ($70-ish) and it solved the problem. Also, a cheap soundbar will provide sound that's far superior than a tv without. Today's tvs are so thin; only enough room for crappy little speakers.
Funding secured

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Yep, HDMI to a soundbar is fine, but, for some reason, to my ears, the best, most unadulterated sound seems to come directly from the analog outputs of the cable box. I have doubts about the DAC in the soundbar. At least that's what my ears tell me. The DSP processing in the soundbar could be a negative (just IMO).

Every time I sit in a waiting room with a TV playing via its own speakers, I turn the sound off if I can. It's super irritating. Vintage transistor radios sound better and fuller.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I had a bad experience with Vizio, too. Hdmi ports went bad causing sound not to play on high def stations, plus an inexplicable noise line at the top of the screen. Tossed it in the Outback and took it back to Costco, where I got full credit and bought a Sony. Very happy with the Sony. Subsequently have bought a few Samsungs (I have a lot of TVs) and these have been good, too, however, I prefer the picture on my Sony. Slightly edges out the Samsungs.

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 am

Vizio soundbar. It syncs with vizio tv.

I only buy vizio. I have three now, 50, 55 and 70 inch. I have 3 vizio soudbars.

In fact I bought a46 inch vizio in 2010, used it daily for 7 years, hoping it would die so I can get a larger one... It never did; I donated it in 2017 still in good shape!

Just saying, not everyone has bad experience with this brand...

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 am

Yep, as El Greco said, I too think Sony has the best picture and the most natural colors, better than Samsung which is a little more candy-color to as I see it. Just IMHO.

VaR

Post by VaR » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 am

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 am
Yep, as El Greco said, I too think Sony has the best picture and the most natural colors, better than Samsung which is a little more candy-color to as I see it. Just IMHO.
Sony has a great picture, but you always need to get your set professionally calibrated or at least buy and use of the of blu-ray calibration discs like the Disney WOW disc. It's the most beginner oriented of the calibration discs, but there are more advanced ones out there.)

I'm voting for the soundbar or other external audio system choice as well.

OP. what model of Vizio did you get? The medium and high end Vizios have excellent picture quality and great black level quality due to Vizio's continued commitment to full array backlighting.

Note: The HDMI input of my first cheapo A-Star tv went out after a power surge, so such things do happen. Cheap soldering in the analog audio subsystem also sounds possible, fwiw.

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

The new LG OLEDs are AMAZING imo. OMG, watching Blue Planet II or Planet Earth II is visually orgasmic.

I don't think I can go back now. The picture has amazing contrast, no motion blur at all, and the TV itself is visually stunning.

Can't recommend them enough. And if you buy with the Costco credit card, you get an additional 2 years of warranty anyway. If you buy through Costco with the Costco credit card, you end up with FIVE total years of warranty.

OLED55B7A (55") or OLED65B7A (65") are amazing. Or, if you'd prefer a slight upgrade to the speakers, OLED55C7 (55") or OLED65C7

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:41 am

ensign_lee wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am
If you buy through Costco with the Costco credit card, you end up with FIVE total years of warranty.
According to this https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html it's:

2 years on TV
+ additional 2 years when purchased with Costco Credit Card
= 4 years total

Am I missing something?
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 am

Try a Samsung or LG product....Costco is a good place to start.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.