Schwab.com login trouble?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
InterestingMoney

Schwab.com login trouble?

Post by InterestingMoney » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble logging in to Schwab.com. I use a password manager for all my logins, and have not changed the password recently, but (starting yesterday) when I try to log in I get an "Invalid username/password" message. Curiously, I can log in using my phone using the same username/password, but not with my desktop (or laptop) computer.

Anyway, the funny thing is that when I click the Forgot Password link, I get an error message:
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.e9e13040.1506307245.744d5e0
Could someone do me a favor? I'm curious if this is just some kind of networking problem at my house, or if this is a problem with Schwab's website. Visit Schwab.com, and even if you don't have an account, click the Forgot Password link. Do you actually get a page which will allow you to change a password, or do you get an error message like the above?

Thanks!

ResearchMed

Re: Schwab.com login trouble?

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 pm

InterestingMoney wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm
Hi folks,

I'm having trouble logging in to Schwab.com. I use a password manager for all my logins, and have not changed the password recently, but (starting yesterday) when I try to log in I get an "Invalid username/password" message. Curiously, I can log in using my phone using the same username/password, but not with my desktop (or laptop) computer.

Anyway, the funny thing is that when I click the Forgot Password link, I get an error message:
Could someone do me a favor? I'm curious if this is just some kind of networking problem at my house, or if this is a problem with Schwab's website. Visit Schwab.com, and even if you don't have an account, click the Forgot Password link. Do you actually get a page which will allow you to change a password, or do you get an error message like the above?

Thanks!
I just tried, and I got "in", and then logged out and tried the "reset password", and did get the proper prompt (but didn't follow through).
There were a couple of times a few weeks ago when I had trouble logging in. It just seemed to be a glitch.

Can you call them?
They have great 24/7 customer service (or they used to; haven't needed it recently).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

InterestingMoney

Post by InterestingMoney » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks ResearchMed! It seems the problem, then, is with me, or my home network, or my computers, or something like that.

It's the darnedest thing: I've tried three different operating systems and a plethora of browsers, and they all yield an error message like the above. However, my phone works fine with the same info. :confused

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 pm

InterestingMoney wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm
Thanks ResearchMed! It seems the problem, then, is with me, or my home network, or my computers, or something like that.

It's the darnedest thing: I've tried three different operating systems and a plethora of browsers, and they all yield an error message like the above. However, my phone works fine with the same info. :confused
Good.

But do give them a call.

They may well be able to walk/talk you through settings.

One thing that we have been quite impressed with has been their customer service on the phone.
(The local office, not so much, but they aren't the technical folks anyway.)

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Please let us know how the call to Schwab support goes. That will be a good "real life" customer support datapoint for how a firm actually handles a problem one is having.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 am

Just tried clicking the Forgot Password link. Monday, 9:29 am edt. Got the "Reset Your Password" inputs just fine.

I vaguely remember getting the first half of that message "An error occurred while..." once in a rare time when logging in. Not often, though, and I'm using Dashlane as password manager with the security key from Schwab. All of my experiences have been transient errors though. Maybe once a month??? Then I just re-initiate sign-on and it works. Once in a much rarer moment, I end up clearing the Schwab cookies before trying again.

For me it is so infrequent that I don't consider it a problem. Across my 3 browsers, on a day where I do a lot of password manager signins, I'll have a glitch or two where I have to repeat the sign-in on OTHER websites too. Not enough to bother with diagnostics, but I assume it's some freak combination of password manager, extensions, add-ins, browser or the website itself.

The most persistent problem I've had with Schwab sign-in was in Firefox, when up until early this summer I often (1 out of 5 sign-ins, maybe) was getting a blank sign-in page. Which I fixed repeatedly by deleting the Schwab cookie). Plus I had glitches with the drop-down menus not working correctly in Portfolio Reports. In those cases, the problem was on my end, which I verified by finally switching to another machine to test with Firefox (no issues), and Chrome on my own machine (again, no issues). So I did a FIrefox Refresh and those two problems went away ever since.

InterestingMoney

Post by InterestingMoney » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the information. I will call Schwab sometime this week (closing on a house tomorrow, supposedly, busy time!), but here's a little data point: no browser from any computer in my household can access schwab.com without that error, yet it works fine when I tried on my computer at work today. This makes me think that something funny is going on with my home router, but my phone - which also connects through the router - works fine.

Strange. I'll update this thread if/when I find out what's happening.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

I had a link to the login page that, after logging in, would say 'this page is temporarily unavailable' or something to that effect. When I went to Schwab's homepage, clicked 'login' on the upper right, the Schwab.com, it took me to a page that I was successfully able to login. This is the same path I took when I created my favorites link, but it now looks different. My guess is they redesigned and moved the page, but did not link the old path to it.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:36 pm

InterestingMoney wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm
Hi folks,

Thanks!
By chance are you using Chrome as your browser? My DW's 401k is at Schwab, and I had trouble recently (i.e. last week) trying to change her password, but was able to get in okay using Firefox. This makes me wonder if there indeed is faulty code in their site.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

chw

Post by chw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I noticed this week that if you've used a password manager to "remember" the password, it will no longer do so. You must manually type the password in, and it works fine. Personally, given the hacks going on, probably a good security feature. BTW, Schwab offers clients to use a hard token pin generator (in addition to the password). I started using one several years ago for additional password safety.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:17 pm

chw wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm
I noticed this week that if you've used a password manager to "remember" the password, it will no longer do so. You must manually type the password in, and it works fine. Personally, given the hacks going on, probably a good security feature. BTW, Schwab offers clients to use a hard token pin generator (in addition to the password). I started using one several years ago for additional password safety.
Not true. I just logged in using KeePass.

Schwab's login page did display a notice that if you are using an older version of a browser that you may have difficulty logging in.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 pm

I would expect that every major company, much less financial firms, are reviewing and making some security related changes following the Equifax hack. Log ins would be about the first thing they would be concerned with.

Perhaps this has something to do with log in issues at various firms, Schwab included.

There might be some glitches as a result, but they are probably worth it. Meanwhile, I wonder if these password managers are prime targets for hackers.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 pm

stlutz wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm
Please let us know how the call to Schwab support goes. That will be a good "real life" customer support datapoint for how a firm actually handles a problem one is having.
I have had this issue with schwab.com before. In all cases, the CSRs at Schwab were able to fix things in less than 5 minutes (including time waiting on hold).
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

InterestingMoney

Post by InterestingMoney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Well, I solved the problem, though I don't know for sure what caused it. I was able to pinpoint pretty quickly that the problem was occurring universally on every computer behind my home router (except my smartphone, which is weird).

I own an off-site server which I use for some webhosting, and creating an SSH proxy tunnel to that server from my main computer (which basically lets me browse the web while making it look like traffic is coming from the remote server) worked just fine. The simpler solution of bypassing the router and plugging a laptop directly into the modem also worked. This confirmed for me that my router was somehow preventing me from logging in to Schwab, but it didn't tell me why, nor did it explain why it was just working last week.

Disabling the router firewall did nothing. The main difference, however, in using either the SSH proxy tunnel or connecting directly to the modem is that it changes my IP address as it appears to Schwab. All I can determine is that someone at Schwab lowered the banhammer on me, blocking my IP address from logging in to Schwab. Since I usually log in from behind my router, my router's IP was the one that was banned.

However this happened, my fix was to change the MAC address on my router. After a quick reboot of both the modem and the router, I had a new IP address and can now access Schwab's website without any trouble from any operating system, any browser. I can't imagine how/why my IP address got banned by Schwab, but if it happens again, all I have to do is once again change my MAC address. I need to call Schwab and ask about this, but I don't know if their phone rep will have a clue what I'm talking about. I meant to call them this week anyway, but the cold that I had last week turned into laryngitis this week. That'll teach me to take my kids to a local popular children's museum (aka "petri dish").

Figuring out a solution to this problem proved to be more complicated than I thought, but at least I have a fix. For the record, I also can't log in to Vanguard. I get a "this page isn't redirecting properly" message (Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete). I'll worry about that one another day.

numberman

Post by numberman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 am

InterestingMoney wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 pm
All I can determine is that someone at Schwab lowered the banhammer on me, blocking my IP address from logging in to Schwab. Since I usually log in from behind my router, my router's IP was the one that was banned.
Is it maybe possible that some machine on your home network got infected or compromised with something, and started spewing spam or other abuse? That could cause your IP to be put on a blacklist, causing some systems to put more stringent checks on login requests coming from it. Or if your IP normally changes regularly, maybe whoever had that IP previously caused some trouble.

You could check some common public IP blacklists (something like http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check or http://www.anti-abuse.org/multi-rbl-check/). Some lists you're supposed to be on, as a dynamic residential IP (like SORBS), but if a bunch of them show you as flagged, that could indicate an actual issue. I don't know if those specific links are a good check for something like this (I assume schwab/vanguard wouldn't use publicly-accessible lists if they use any), but it's easy and quick enough to check.

advice789

Post by advice789 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 am

When I use a VPN to login, there is an error message.
Turn off the VPN, am able to log in

Boglelogin

Post by Boglelogin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm

After two months with Schwab I have almost daily problems logging in. Usually my device is not recognized, in spite of being usually on the same device. I must do the rigamarole of having a code sent. Today even with the code, i could not log in and now I am locked out. A customer rep wanted me to change login and passwords. The rep said my log and pass were not compromised so I declined. I've had more login trouble in two months with Schwab than in twelve years with Scottrade. I don't recall any problems logging in to Scottrade, (now TD) so it had to be a rarity. This is so annoying I wonder if the only answer is to bail out of Schwab.

I just accessed my TD (ex Scottrade) acct straightforward as usual so it's not a problem with this computer.

In the "08 crash I was able to log in to Scottrade quickly to dump everything saving myself from ruin. What if the market nosedives like "08 and I can't log in to this troublesome Schwab account?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Boglelogin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm
After two months with Schwab I have almost daily problems logging in. Usually my device is not recognized, in spite of being usually on the same device. I must do the rigamarole of having a code sent. Today even with the code, i could not log in and now I am locked out. A customer rep wanted me to change login and passwords. The rep said my log and pass were not compromised so I declined. I've had more login trouble in two months with Schwab than in twelve years with Scottrade. I don't recall any problems logging in to Scottrade, (now TD) so it had to be a rarity. This is so annoying I wonder if the only answer is to bail out of Schwab.

I just accessed my TD (ex Scottrade) acct straightforward as usual so it's not a problem with this computer.

In the "08 crash I was able to log in to Scottrade quickly to dump everything saving myself from ruin. What if the market nosedives like "08 and I can't log in to this troublesome Schwab account?
While I'm not sure it is the same as your issue, a few months ago I was having problems one night logging in in similar fashion. After discussing with them on the phone they suggested to change my username and password, so I did and I haven't had problems since. My username at the time was not so unique, related to my name and they said it was possible that a device or someone was trying to use my username and getting the account locked. I changed to something more unique and it never happened again. I had never had this problem with any other accounts as well but the problem is gone. Knock on wood.....

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Boglelogin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm
Methinks the much bigger issue is the "dump everything saving myself from ruin" strategy. In 2008-2009, I did nothing of the sort; in fact, the opposite strategy (buy!) has paid off quite well.

I'm afraid you won't find much support for the "dump everything" option. Is that action in your IPS? https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investm ... _statement
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:11 pm

schwab website is down, again today.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:17 pm

System maintenance. They've posted this as a banner for the last several days.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:45 pm

advice789 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 am
When I use a VPN to login, there is an error message.
Turn off the VPN, am able to log in
Interesting. It's the opposite for me. I can only log in while connected to a VPN. When not connected I get the following message:
"Internal Server Error - Read
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Reference #3.ea9645f.1527971733.2619076e"

Several months ago I contacted Schwab. They had no idea what was causing the problem. While talking to them I realized I was only getting the error when not connected to my VPN, so I didn't bother pursuing it further. (I was talking to one of their tech guys, not some random service rep.)

I know it has nothing to do with an IP ban. I was able to log in to Schwab with a browser that had not previously been used while connected to a VPN, but once I accessed Schwab via the VPN, the browser had the problem.

I do not have this issue with Vanguard or Fidelity.

Something is not being cleared in the browser (already tried clearing cookies, cache, browsing history, etc.), but not particularly motivated to pursue it further at this point.